Hero Review list - Nature Heroes

Hi all,

In an attempt to provide a little more insight for newer players, and to perhaps assist with determining whether to ascend or star up a certain hero, I've put together the below list. Bare in mind that a lot of this information is entirely subjective and i'm sure will receive some push back for certain heroes, but in general, I hope it proves useful.

The token prioritization is essentially based off of how many tokens can be found through "normal" means, I.E. main campaign, quick looting, portals etc. If a certain hero has consistent access to multiple tokens through multiple sources, I have labelled them as "No" as a priority. This does not reflect on their usability in the game, however. Also, please note that I have not taken into account the availability of tokens as Challenge Mode rewards, given these will normally only be accessible later in the game.

The ascension priorities are essentially based off of how useful their abilities are that are gained through ascension. Do take note, however, that there is a 10% stat boost given to the hero upon ascension, so if you have excess Evos, it's always worth ascending heroes.

Please also see below for a link to another article i wrote which should provide a little more information on how certain characters can be used with other characters due to their passive buffs!

http://forum.dungeonboss.com/discussion/7913/passive-ability-team-buff-guide

Fire Heroes review list here:
http://forum.dungeonboss.com/discussion/10379/hero-review-list-fire-heroes

nature.png

Nature Heroes

Hero: Bovus El Doro
Wiki Link: http://dungeonboss.wikia.com/wiki/Bovus_El_Doro
Main Attack: Stampede
Should I ascend to level 1? Yes - Due to ease of acquiring Evos.
Should I ascend to level 2? Not as a priority
Should I prioritize collecting stars for this hero? Yes (His tokens are only available from the Great Portal, so be prepared to spend a lot of gold!)
"End Game" PvP rating: 8/10 - Previously the staple slot 1 hero for most PvP teams. Since the PvP update he can be countered a lot easier with Ekko (100% resistance, for all team members, on energy loss), Torchy (round 1 silence on a fast hero) and Indigo (again, round 1 silence on a fast hero), but even with these counters, he is still very commonly used against defenses that don't include Ekko or Indigo. Easily countered on defense, however, but can still lock out attacks from unprepared teams.
"End Game" PvE rating: 7/10 - Native healing passive, "armored" and a solid health pool give him excellent survive-ability, but his abilities are more suited to PvP than PvE.
Tower Rating: 8/10 - His healing passive proves helpful for the Tower, but his lack of active healing skills means he will normally run out of steam eventually, also doesn't provide an awful lot with his abilities on cooldown.

Hero: Chief NubNub
Wiki Link: http://dungeonboss.wikia.com/wiki/Chief_NubNub
Main Attack: Voodoo Chant
Should I prioritize collecting stars for this hero? No - He has tokens available from multiple sources and they will come along in due course.
"End Game" PvP rating: 9/10 - Has a huge health pool and can normally outlast a most (if not all?) round 1 attackers. Revenge and a large heal on crit also boosts his round 1 survive-ability. As long as he is still alive after round 1, you can assume that you will be able to completely refresh your team's health using Voodoo Chant, which is easily the strongest healing ability in the game. Deducting 1 point due to his lack of offensive attacks (not that this matters much!).
"End Game" PvE rating: 10/10 - In PvE, he normally provides enough healing, by himself, to sustain a team from start to finish. His on-crit healing passive can normally sustain between Voodoo chant cooldowns. He is basically a staple for 95% of PvE dungeons in end-game and in the Challenge Mode dungeons. A high starred NubNub is basically essential for the later Challenge Mode dungeons.
Tower Rating: 10/10 - Again, his Voodoo Chant ability provides so much sustainability, that along with 3 other solid armored characters, he can provide enough healing to last from Floor 1 to Floor 12, depending on defenses met. He is absolutely essential for the Tower.

Hero: Cruel King Bramble
Wiki Link: http://dungeonboss.wikia.com/wiki/Cruel_King_Bramble
Main Attack: Goblin Dance Party
Should I ascend to level 1? Not as a priority
Should I prioritize collecting stars for this hero? Yes - He is a legendary hero in which tokens are only available during special events.
"End Game" PvP rating: 5/10 - Bramble boasts a decent health pool and an armored passive which provides decent survive-ability, and his first ability provides a decent chunk of ATT and Crit. Best used in slot 2 (after your initial disabler) to increase the impact of your main damage dealers. The main issue here is that there are numerous other heroes that provide better buffs, with better passive synergy (Bramble only natively boosts CRIT, SKILL and ATT of Goblin allies, Zurk, Squinch and NubNub).
"End Game" PvE rating: 4/10 - Again, his health and armored passive provides decent sustainability, but his goblin synergy and single self-heal skill don't provide much in terms of usability.
Tower Rating: 4/10 - Similar to his PvP and PvE viability, he can be useful for single floors, but tends to be very situational.

Hero: Jabber Clenchjaw
Wiki Link: http://dungeonboss.wikia.com/wiki/Jabber_Clenchjaw
Main Attack: Beast Mode
Should I ascend to level 1? Yes - Due to ease of acquiring Evos
Should I prioritize collecting stars for this hero? No - He has tokens available from multiple sources and they will come along in due course.
"End Game" PvP rating: 3/10 - His first ability, Beast Mode, is a decent attack and can be used as a counter to Therand Fiddlestrom, aside from this his survive-ability is terrible and his other abilities and passives leave much to be desired.
"End Game" PvE rating: 5/10 - He can be useful in Dwarf event dungeons, but again his lack of survive-ability or sustainability is the real problem, and he does not provide any passive team buffs either. He's fun to use in auto-running easier normal mode dungeons though!
Tower Rating: 3/10 - Can be useful for clearing out Tower fodder on lower floors, but will struggle to last more than a few early floors and eventually becomes more of a hindrance than helpful requiring constant healing from other sources.

Mustybadger

Comments

• Hero: Julius
    Wiki Link: http://dungeonboss.wikia.com/wiki/Julius
    Main Attack: Barrel Toss
    Should I ascend to level 1? Yes - His first ascension will grant him access to Astounding Pounding (a great single target ability, Challenge Accepted which provides a 2x damage boost against taunting enemies and Pack Rampage, which increases Beast ally ATT and CRIT.
    Should I prioritize collecting stars for this hero? Yes - His tokens are only available in the Heroic Portal, so use special events to get as many of his tokens as possible.
    "End Game" PvP rating: 9/10 - Julius is one of the strongest out-and-out damage dealers in the game. He can be especially useful against PvP defenses with multiple taunters, and his Barrel Toss ability deals a huge amount of damage, the only real issue with him in PvP is the random status effect inflicted as part of Barrel Toss.
    "End Game" PvE rating: 8/10 - In the later Challenge dungeons, he can be extremely useful against taunting enemies and large waves of tank enemies. His sustainability is great and he has a decent chunk of armor and defense. The only issue with him is his reliance on others to keep him alive.
    Tower Rating: 7/10 - Julius can absolutely destroy most lower level Tower teams and has more than enough sustainability to get him through multiple floors, but similar to his PvE rating, he has no native or active healing abilities which slightly lowers his viability to make sustain from bottom to top.

Hero: Phemus
    Wiki Link: http://dungeonboss.wikia.com/wiki/Phemus
    Main Attack: Earthquake
    Should I ascend to level 1? Yes - Due to ease of acquiring Evos and providing access to Taunt.
    "End Game" PvP rating: 4/10 - Phemus' main ability, Earthquake, can 1-hit-KO a lot of middling health Water defense heroes, but his slow tag and easy counter in Lady Nimreal, Abigail the Brutal and Torchy mean his selection is very specific based on defenses encountered. Luckily, he has a huge health pool which has only been boosted since the "Slow" hero buff.
    "End Game" PvE rating: 5/10 - Again, his large health pool, access to Taunt and Ignore Taunt give him decent viability in PvE, unfortunately he has no access to any native or active self/team healing and he provides no team passive synergy. Slow tag helps him in PvE more than in PvP.
    Tower Rating: 6/10 - Similar to his PvP and PvE viability, his large health pool and access to Taunt increase his usability in the Tower, however his PvP counters listed above still cause lots of problems.

Hero: Phenol Thoxian
    Wiki Link: http://dungeonboss.wikia.com/wiki/Phenol_Thoxian
    Main Attack: Jelly Shot
    Should I ascend to level 1? Yes - Providing access to Taunt.
    "End Game" PvP rating: 3/10 - Phenol has excellent defense and health, but is easily countered by the same fire heroes as Phemus. The primary issue with Phenol in PvP is his access to offensive abilities. Jelly Shot is essentially just a DoT ability, as is his final ability, with him remaining ability being Taunt. Against certain defenses, he can be a decent "brick wall" and has Taunt that starts Powered.
    "End Game" PvE rating: 4/10 - His lack of any native healing (past the small health boost Jiggle provides), and lack of any damaging offensive abilities really impact his usage in end-game PvE. Again, his use is largely situational based on the type of enemies being encountered.
    Tower Rating: 6/10 - His usage in the Tower is essentially to act as a bullet-sponge for Defenses to use up their primary abilities on. On later floors, sending in Phenol to soak up the defenses initial abilities, will prove to be extremely useful. Past that, his usage in the Tower is limited at best.

Hero: Rocky the Shiitake
    Wiki Link: http://dungeonboss.wikia.com/wiki/Rocky_the_Shiitake
    Main Attack: Spore Cloud
    Should I ascend to level 1? Not as a priority
    Should I prioritize collecting stars for this hero? Yes - His tokens are only available as daily rewards, so use special events to get as many of his tokens as possible when they pop up.
    "End Game" PvP rating: 8/10 - Spore Cloud can be extremely useful as a round 1 ability, providing a large increase in evasion and giving offenses access to 2 attack rounds each turn. His survive-ability is really lacking, but if he can last long enough to get Spore Cloud off, and in the right circumstances, he can completely turn the tide of any PvP match. Also boosts Nature ally CRIT by 25% at full ascension.
    "End Game" PvE rating: 3/10 - Unfortunately his survive-ability is his major downfall in PvE. His Spore Cloud ability is primarily suited to PvP and his remaining abilities are lackluster, given they are offensive and his ATT rating isn't great.
    Tower Rating: 4/10 - Rocky has his uses in the Tower, but again, his survive-ability means he will struggle to last more than one or two early floors.

Hero: Tsume
    Wiki Link: http://dungeonboss.wikia.com/wiki/Tsume
    Main Attack: Soul Shred
    Should I ascend to level 2? Yes - Due to the impact of his final ability
    "End Game" PvP rating: 9/10 - Tsume can be a very polarizing character in PvP. In the right circumstances he can be the most overpowered hero in the game, but it's also this reliance on RNG that is his hindrance. Since the 40% health increase, his viability in PvP has increased even further (hence his 9/10 PvP rating, before the health buff I would have put him at 8/10), and he can no longer be 1-shot by Augustus or Abigail, if he has his health passively boosted by Yokozuna and/or Bovus, assuming the same stars and level. He can be relatively easy to counter depending on his defensive lineup position, but if he's not killed off quickly he has the potential to wipe an entire defense/offense in one move.
    "End Game" PvE rating: 4/10 - Tsume really only shines when his remaining health is minimal, and given the damage output in some of the latter Challenge Mode dungeons, it's more important to keep heroes at as high a health level as possible, resulting in Tsume's effectiveness being essentially nullified.
    Tower Rating: 6/10 - Again, Tsume's raw damage output at certain health levels means he is useful against defenses of any level in the right circumstances but his reliance on RNG and his lack of survive-ability means he'll only be useful for a few of the latter floors. Note, he can be used to make the final floor boss in the Tower flee due to Fear, which is always fun!

Mustybadger
  • Good post. I feel like you slightly undervalued Bovus and Tsume but otherwise, agree with your opinion. Bovus I think you have a point low all the way around. On Tsume, it is your PvE rating. I think it is more like a 7-8/10. He has 3 awesome attack abilities which few heroes have. Paired with Nub, I don't have survival issues with him.

Also, I disagree about Willow's second ascension. It is very useful in dungeons and I often get it powered up in the tower as well. From your text, I think I am better at getting her to stay alive than you are. I'm sure there are other areas where you are a better player than me to even it out. :)
    Formerly of the Potato Army. I've mostly quit playing DB. However, I can be reach in Book of Heroes (in game or forum) as bbbb.
    2rc900l.png
  • Good post OP. Mostly agree with everything. I might move a number up or down by 1 here and there, but nothing major.
  • Tsume's PVE rating is so low. I use him in almost every dungeon. His last abillity is great for tanky bosses (spreading fear) , and the fact that it hits 3 times and can hit other targets too is just amazing. His first 2 abillities are also very useful. At bosses, the boss can usually damage your heroes a lot, so if you pair him with Chief Nubnub, for me it mostly goes like this : Boss attacks tsume > Tsume is damaged > Tsume uses spreading fear or another abillity > Nubnub heals. I agree with most of the stuff you said but I defintely think tsume deserves more points in PVE. That's all.
  • Just wanted to say thank you to Mustybadger for the incredibly detailed information you've shared here and in the Fire heroes post. It's extremely useful to me in trying to get a grip on the deluge of new heroes I've gotten in the early stages of the game!
  • philphil Member
    I finally made an account, so I can now say that this post and your Fire hero one were super useful to me in the first couple of weeks. Thanks a lot. If there were water/dark/light ones that would be extra awesome.
  • That's nice @phil but mustybadger has not logged onto the forums since may 2016.
    Awesome Farfella guy up there was created by jackhallow666^!!!
    Also, go gorgons!
  • philphil Member
    such is life!
  • KangKang Member
    edited February 20
    With regard to Bramble in PvE, I'll just leave a link to a @Zombi video.

Note: 100% success rate with a solid Greater Bulwark Rune on Zurk.

Unless the changes hitting today (16Feb) change Phenol et al drastically, your main nature targets are going to be 1) Viperia 2),3),4) Zurk-Bramble-NubNub 5) Hansuke (undead team) 6) Bovus (beast team) 7) Tsume (poor man's Viperia). Willow and Bovus may prove to be interesting in end-game PvP with the changes and extra Champion Runes, I haven't done much testing.
    Post edited by Kang on
  • This. Thread. Is. DEAD!!! No need for any further comments.
    Also, go gorgons!
  • wheres hansuke
    THEy NeVer LoVed ME!!!
    THREy neVeR LOvED PEAShY!!!
    y0uLL Ju5T hAVe TO J01n tHe r3ST Of thEm IF you oPPosE PEASHY!!!!
    EHAAAA~HA~HHA~HA~HAA~HA~HA~ha~hA~ha~Hha~ha~ha~HA~Ha~!!!!!!!!!!
  • @CPUyellowHeart he wasn't realeased yet.
    Also, go gorgons!
  • oh
    THEy NeVer LoVed ME!!!
    THREy neVeR LOvED PEAShY!!!
    y0uLL Ju5T hAVe TO J01n tHe r3ST Of thEm IF you oPPosE PEASHY!!!!
    EHAAAA~HA~HHA~HA~HAA~HA~HA~ha~hA~ha~Hha~ha~ha~HA~Ha~!!!!!!!!!!