Hero Spotlight: Kai Makani

JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
edited May 2016 in Hero Spotlights
jivjqu3hg120.png

Background: Able to harness the powers of the ocean, Kai Makani is a staunch defender of allies and will wipe out any enemies that stand in his way!

Most Hated Hero: Julius

Element: WATER: +30% bonus against FIRE enemies and -25% against NATURE enemies

Tags: FAST CASTER

Traits:
  • Grass Skirt of Resistance: Team members gain a 25% resistance to all elemental status effects.
  • Mystical: Boosted damage vs Tanks and Slow targets.
  • Silence Immune: Immune to Silence
  • Fast: Attacks first
Abilities and Ascensions:
  • Swing: Basic physical melee attack
  • Surf's Up!: Calls in a giant wave that damages all enemies and Soaks the enemies causing any AOE attacks to do 60% less damage for 3 turns.
Next Ascension:

Required Evos:
  • Nature Evo: 22
  • Water Evo: 35
  • Water Evo Monarch: 8
  • Astral Evo: 3
New Trait!
  • Mystical II: Boosted damage vs Tanks and Slow targets.
New Ability!
  • Surf's Up II: Calls in a giant wave that damages all enemies and Soaks the enemies causing any AOE attacks to do 70% less damage for 3 turns.
  • Call of the Deep: All allies gain 100% chance to revenge any attack for 1 turn and boost DEF for team for 3 turns
Next Ascension:

Required Evos:
  • Water Evo Monarch: 30
  • Dark Evo: 30
  • Runed Evo: 9
  • Shadow Evo: 2
New Trait!
  • Mystical III – Boosted damage vs Tanks and Slow targets.
New Ability!
  • Surf's Up III – Calls in a giant wave that damages all enemies and Soaks the enemies causing any AOE attacks to do 80% less damage for 3 turns.
  • Back Splash: Attack all enemies and adds a debuff to the targeted enemy that makes his AOE abilities target all characters, not just enemies.
Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
www.bossfightentertainment.com
Post edited by Joel on

Comments

• @Joel - How long does the reduction from Surf's Up last?
    9Ahi08z.jpg
  • HintedforyouHintedforyou Member
    edited April 2016
    PrezObama wrote: »
    @Joel - How long does the reduction from Surf's Up last?

Better be 1 turn 80% is a lot coupled with being fast
    Seriously feels imbalanced.
    Hintedforyou

I will always find something to complain about, even as ridiculous as it may sound.
    My notifications box seems to have stopped working sorry if you get no reply from me.
    Current goal:FA Leonidus

• JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
    PrezObama wrote: »

The reduction lasts for 3 turns.
    Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
    www.bossfightentertainment.com
  • ShadowCZEShadowCZE Member
    edited April 2016
    Well, this is the end of AoE PvPs....
  • Wow he's going to change up PvP - AOEs will be reduced to their debuffs.
  • FoozleFoozle Member
    edited April 2016
    Will prolong pvp battles significantly which should greatly benefit defenders as they will get to use more of their fully charged abilities. Pvp just got a lot more difficult on offense. Seems like they are compensating for the imbalance they created with the introduction of silence.

Not sure I like the change as it basically eliminates all the aoe heroes from pvp, which I invested a lot of time building up and blessing.
  • Runed evos? Oh well, the furnace can wait.
    Current Wishlist: Shade, the one hero I'm missing and have yet to ascend.

Proud member of Pact of Minds.

Kozar enthusiast.
  • Too bad he is VIP only because it will take a long time before he changes the PVP meta
  • HaxusBloodbaneHaxusBloodbane Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    TIKI BLUE!
    Wants Control over a Legion of Spiders
    In game Level: 70
    Shared hero: Archangel Emily (Lvl 70), Epic level 12
    Lord of the Fries of The Potato Army Random Mook in Tater Squad
    I'm on Twitter regularly
    2b2r3K.gif
    [/center]
  • TIKI BLUE!

I saw that too!! LOL.
    DB%20Synchro%20Sig%20Fox%20Paladin%20Aug-01-01_zps1kp61yun.png
    Guildmaster 2.0 of Synchronicity
  • COWABUNGA!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist...
    Puns are a crime against humanity.

Dissing off the Philidelphia 76ers since 2015.
  • @Gmanju are you thinking 20k gems to get 6 star? Seems like his first skill would be pretty game changing even at lower star levels.

Is vip portal that much a barrier? I'm not sure what level is required to use vip portal but figured a lot of people would have access.
  • FoxboxesFoxboxes Member
    edited April 2016
    Foozle wrote: »
    @Gmanju are you thinking 20k gems to get 6 star? Seems like his first skill would be pretty game changing even at lower star levels.

Is vip portal that much a barrier? I'm not sure what level is required to use vip portal but figured a lot of people would have access.

It tends to only take 15k gems for 6* VIP heroes, from my experience with Mailce. - And well, you need to spend at least $100 to have access the VIP portal, so It's anyone's guess to how many players have access, more than you'd probably think, though.
    DB%20Synchro%20Sig%20Fox%20Paladin%20Aug-01-01_zps1kp61yun.png
    Guildmaster 2.0 of Synchronicity
  • Sounds like 6* would be tough, especially if you don't have the other 3 heroes in the VIP portal, plus the $100 would likely be a barrier too.

But, I still think he might be pretty effective even at a lower star level, but that is without really using him, so I'm going to keep an open mind until I try him out a bit.
  • L0rdL33tL0rdL33t Member
    edited April 2016
    A hero built to counter all the AOE spam, Nice! (although I think he might counter it a bit TOO well...)

Oh i see! The damage reduction applies for both parties!
  • Sylfae wrote: »
    The power creep is getting too real. This is turning into a slow moving train wreck. Releasing one hero just to counter the whole PvP meta isn't balance, it's the opposite of balance.

*sees Kai in the defending team*

Zurk: Me Gusta!

• I love this dude! I unlocked him but ehh..Wish I had a spare 17k-20k gems to drop on em.. A fast hero who basically makes all aoe useless haha, so many possibilities!! Good luck defenses!
    image_zps4zrzt4i6.png
  • Fast, no silence, and reduces all enemy AOE by 60% for three turns.

That will help the Offense much more than the Defense. Offense can avoid taking AOE heroes. Defense will just be firing into a brick wall.

Does not seem to be thought out very well.
  • @Sylfae Yeah, power creep. It's basically the ticking time bomb that undoes all freemium games. Makes money until the whole thing goes Tango Uniform, and that's when Devs move on to the next project.
    I'd normally put my stats here, but don't see the point as the forum will be empty soon...
  • omegathreeomegathree Member
    edited April 2016
    Too bad he is VIP only….

Alas, we forget Julius.

VIP for how long?

Is it worth $100 for exclusivity for 2 weeks? 3 weeks?
    Will you obtain enough PvP rewards dominating for that time for your $100… thats if you do dominate.

Post edited by omegathree on
  • PrezObama wrote: »

Better be 1 tirn 80% is a lot coupled with being fast
    L0rdL33t wrote: »
    A hero built to counter all the AOE spam, Nice! (although I think he might counter it a bit TOO well...)

Oh i see! The damage reduction applies for both parties!

Really.
    Hintedforyou

I will always find something to complain about, even as ridiculous as it may sound.
    My notifications box seems to have stopped working sorry if you get no reply from me.
    Current goal:FA Leonidus

• Useless trivia but Kai is also only the 2nd water hero that actually incorporates the sea into his theme and the first hero to actually use water abilities, the other one is Stone Fist, who was shaped by the sea, though he doesnt use any water based attacks.
    Current Wishlist: Shade, the one hero I'm missing and have yet to ascend.

Proud member of Pact of Minds.

Kozar enthusiast.
  • Edson123676Edson123676 Member
    edited April 2016
    Did someone forget to put the "legendary" tag to his name? :D He's crazy on defense in PVP. Pair him with the furnace and two other powerful heroes and it's almost unfair. Fun though. "Dungeon Boss Just Got Better" ;)
    z8739qn4og6c.png
  • Useless trivia but Kai is also only the 2nd water hero that actually incorporates the sea into his theme and the first hero to actually use water abilities, the other one is Stone Fist, who was shaped by the sea, though he doesnt use any water based attacks.

But ice IS water!
  • nunyanunya Member
    @Gmanju thank you for that team post. It was definitely am interesting approach to dealing with the new hero, and one of the few 3 star victories that I have seen.
    nunya
  • I found a defender using my defense team, so I tried Kai on attack. Even though I sat frozen, chilled, and cryosleeped several rounds while defense attacked away on me, victory was still mine. It is almost unfair.

bjir4xxgwlmj.png
  • An anti-AOE hero, I like it!
    Current Level: 70
    Proud Member of the Potato Family
    "We should have more tags."
    Favorite Hero: Bauble
  • gmungmun Member
    Is abigail attack buff considered aoe?
    Gmun
  • HaxusBloodbaneHaxusBloodbane Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    If Kai be overpowered then there is only one solution... ZURK!
    Wants Control over a Legion of Spiders
    In game Level: 70
    Shared hero: Archangel Emily (Lvl 70), Epic level 12
    Lord of the Fries of The Potato Army Random Mook in Tater Squad
    I'm on Twitter regularly
    2b2r3K.gif
    [/center]