Hero Spotlight: Kai Makani

2»

Comments

• omegathreeomegathree Member
    edited April 2016
    Gmanju wrote: »
    If Kai be overpowered then there is only one solution... ZURK!

Yeah he is going to stop a fast hero with 7k hp 2k def +25% def and high resistance

True… so what would defend against Kai, being he is fast?

A team passive debuff resistance? Like Ekko getting team 50% chance resistance against energy attacks ( from Bovus..

Also.. Do the debuff removers work.. Like from malice
  • FlakknightFlakknight Member
    edited April 2016
    I really like the design of Kai, I do think he is a little bit over the top with disabling AOEs, though.

Something like AOEs can't crit and can't cause status effects would make him great utility but not a complete counter. He does penalize both sides which is an interesting new thing.

Will have to play with him some more, but since I don't think I'm going to drop the coin to 6* him right now I think he'll be a rather niche piece in the toolbox. Also I think he's the only hero in game that debuffs his own attacks. It's kind of funny with him on defense, he uses Back Splash and it does ~150 base damage beacuse of Surf's Up. Maybe he should be immune to it? I dunno.
    edited April 2016
    Gmanju wrote: »

Nothing. Have you been on a break? Ekko is 100% and yes malice would work if his 2nd skill did not take like 5 turns to use

Yep… sort of… new job leaves me with less than 2 hours of free time per day ( when not sleeping, working, or driving) … hence a guild with no crown requirements. ..but I agree about malice when I thought about it… game over before that skill available.
    edited April 2016
    Looking at the larger picture, think of it this way. So he is vip-only, and as some of you think, a PVP Ender. This most likely is a temporary bone thrown to the whales, and of course as we have seen before, this won't be permanent. He will either be nerfed, or more likley another Hero that can counter him more effectively show up, or a trait being added to an existing hero that can counter him, etc etc.. He will probably show up in time in the heroic portal, have events and dungeons for free players… Just part of the gaming cycle.
  • @Gmanju :( gotta pick on me... And I tried the whole debuff thing with agustus but it's just too much...I could handle his first ability of his second didn't boost defense 70% for 3 turns too he completely murres damage and the best way to fight him is just out sustain him a mirror match with a healer or something
  • Ya runed is the only Evo I don't have nooo and ya this hero looks to be game changer only seen him once so far but well I lost how original
  • How long are the cooldowns ?
  • MoseyMosey Member
    I have it from an inside source that Zurk is going to get beefed up as a Kai deterrent. Of course, the source is inside my head, but still.
  • HaxusBloodbaneHaxusBloodbane Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    Yep I did that in my tower thrice today. SUCH FUN!
    Wants Control over a Legion of Spiders
    In game Level: 70
    Shared hero: Archangel Emily (Lvl 70), Epic level 12
    Lord of the Fries of The Potato Army Random Mook in Tater Squad Nameless Grunt in Tater Tots
    I'm on Twitter regularly

• gmungmun Member
    So did the attacker retreat there? 2 attackers and 3 defenders still alive.
    Gmun
  • cxgss2ms9fap.jpeg

Composed this little list. On the left are heros that Kai has more defense and hp then, next column is heros Kia has more HP then but not defense, the next is more def but not hp, and last is heros that have more def and hp then Kai.

*indicates the hero is either a tank or "armored"

Notes: most games heros and casters are fragile...in DB all are except Kai, there are 40 heros in the left hand column and 12 are either tanks or armored.

The two that beat him in both categories are our two constructs and they don't have much on him.

Out of the 3 that do have more defense then him, Kai has about 2000+ more hp then them.

And out of the 8 that have more hp then Kai, 7 of them are slow...

Basically Kia would be well above pare with ok abilities but add in his resistance passive, drench, defense buff, and revenge abilities (that stack with hanske) and he may be a little unbalanced...

I think if you took about 300-500 def and 2300-3000 hp from him, he would be much more well rounded. (And would still extended pvp fights, just not for days)
  • Flakknight wrote: »
    Dude... it's called a spreadsheet.

This made me crack up as I was having such a hard time reading his scribbles(even tho it was cute)
  • PrezObamaPrezObama Member
    edited April 2016
    I don't have the VIP portal unlocked but I've seen posts about how Surf's Up reduces his own team's AOE. When I tried him in the easy quest (the only opportunity I have to play with him), this was not the case. I used Surf's up in the first room which destroyed it instantly, but in the second room, I used Nitpick's Meteor Shower and it was not reduced.

Can someone who owns him confirm the behavior when it comes to your own team? Is it doing it in PVP but not PVE?
    9Ahi08z.jpg
  • gmungmun Member
    edited April 2016
    Sorry Prez that may have been me. Some of my replay videos of my attacks have clearly shown the surf's up applying so "some" of the defending teams (with Kai) attacks as well. So after seeing that and reading the description I thought the interpretation of it was that it applied to everybody. Which would kind of make sense (to me at least) for balance. But apparently those are bugs.
    Gmun
  • PrezObamaPrezObama Member
    edited April 2016
    Ok, thanks guys, I appreciate it. I don't think he's unbeatable but I'm in the camp that feels he does too much for one hero.

The other thing I'm curious about is the Grass Skirt of Resistance. It reads "Team members gain a 25% resistance to all elemental status effects". Now, status effects are different from damage BUT, outside of the separate listing of Freeze & Cold, damage and status resistances are one and the same on the stats page.

So Fire resistance translates to resisting Burn and Lightning resistance translates to resisting Shock, etc. I'm wondering if this boost works in the other direction too.

My fear is if he's offering a 25% resistance to Disease, Burn, Shock, Poison and Freeze (the five elemental statuses) then he is probably also reducing the damage from Disease, Fire, Lightning, Poison and Cold-based attacks by 25%.

For his whole team.
    As a passive.
    All the time.
    9Ahi08z.jpg
  • YaxirYaxir Member
    i dont have kai :/
  • I think kai is the only fast caster in the game. hes tied in power with pontifex.
    shared hero: masuta kira
    newish player:please send me some guild invites! in game name:thebrutal_one.
  • PrezObama wrote: »
    Ok, thanks guys, I appreciate it. I don't think he's unbeatable but I'm in the camp that feels he does too much for one hero.

The other thing I'm curious about is the Grass Skirt of Resistance. It reads "Team members gain a 25% resistance to all elemental status effects". Now, status effects are different from damage BUT, outside of the separate listing of Freeze & Cold, damage and status resistances are one and the same on the stats page.

So Fire resistance translates to resisting Burn and Lightning resistance translates to resisting Shock, etc. I'm wondering if this boost works in the other direction too.

My fear is if he's offering a 25% resistance to Disease, Burn, Shock, Poison and Freeze (the five elemental statuses) then he is probably also reducing the damage from Disease, Fire, Lightning, Poison and Cold-based attacks by 25%.

For his whole team.
    As a passive.
    All the time.

I believe it is just the status effects and not the damage. I am confused as to why "cold" resistance isn't boosted by 25%, though. Aren't frostbite and chilled considered "cold" status effects or are they included in "freeze"?
  • Foozle wrote: »
    PrezObama wrote: »

For his whole team.
    As a passive.
    All the time.

I believe it is just the status effects and not the damage. I am confused as to why "cold" resistance isn't boosted by 25%, though. Aren't frostbite and chilled considered "cold" status effects or are they included in "freeze"?

It SHOULD be just the statuses but being that the stats page ties damage and status together I wouldn't be so sure. I don't have a way to reliably test either since Kai does not show up at my level and they removed the energy gain in the tower to be able to run tests like this. I just wouldn't surprised that the damage output you normally see from things like Meteor Storm, Polar Pounding or Doom Blade is lower than expected against Kai teams even when not "drenched" from Surf's Up.
    9Ahi08z.jpg
  • JackHallow666JackHallow666 Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    Water_god wrote: »
    I think kai is the only fast caster in the game. hes tied in power with pontifex.

If you count enemies, there were fast casters in his event. But yes he's the only fast hero. I think him and Ponti would both destroy each other, but if Kai used his first ability on Ponti first his Chaos Storm wouldn't do anything.
    Level: 70
    Favorite hero: Bovus
    Favorite element: Nature
    Currently: Trying to max out Epics
  • I think Kai is the dev's answer to the many op AoE attacks like Soul Shred, Blade Storm, Chaos Storm, etc.
    ouldpa73a39.png

6* Hero Count: Squinch, Willow Swift, Black Diamond, Ignus the Mad, Chief NubNub, Therand Fiddlestrom, Pontifex Mortis, Dagrund Blacksmoke, Tsume, Mangle Jaw, King Yorick, Samurai Takumi
    Check out my Kill Quest chart here!
    See my guide to the Tower of Pwnage here!
  • omegathree wrote: »
    Too bad he is VIP only….

Alas, we forget Julius.

VIP for how long?

Is it worth $100 for exclusivity for 2 weeks? 3 weeks?
    Will you obtain enough PvP rewards dominating for that time for your $100… thats if you do dominate.

Make that 1 week…. Having VIP portal open to vip 1 and up is not too much beyond putting him in heroic portal.
  • The amount of punishment this little turd can take is ridiculous. It took a dragon punch from a 6* FA zurk and both hits from a 6* blessed FA bovus rampage to take down a 3* FA kai eight levels below them. In the tower no less, where he doesn't have the pvp health buff. Tank much?
2»