Update: The Tower of PWNage Just Got Better!

JovethJoveth Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
edited May 2016 in Tower of Pwnage Talk
Update: Last night's release of the new Battlehorn Bovus skin also brought in an update to the tower that increased the lower level range in the tower, making it easier. We'll continue to monitor feedback going forward. Thanks for your patience!

Hey folks, just wanted to pop in here with an important announcement. Ever since the Tower of PWNage’s introduction, we’ve been keeping a close eye on community feedback. We know that "bait teams" (overpowered teams consisting of one, two, or three high level heroes) were a source of frustration so you won’t be seeing these kinds of teams anymore. Players will only fight teams that consist of four heroes.

Additionally, we’ve narrowed the level band so players will no longer see teams that are extremely above or below their level. No more severely lopsided match-ups.

We’re happy to announce that these changes will go into effect starting with today’s event at 3PM CDT! And just what is that event?

Ok, ladies, now let's get in formation...
Joveth Gonzalez
Sr. Communications Manager @ Boss Fight Entertainment
Post edited by Joveth on

Comments

• Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy
    Hintedforyou

I will always find something to complain about, even as ridiculous as it may sound.
    My notifications box seems to have stopped working sorry if you get no reply from me.
    Current goal:FA Leonidus

• Mother of dragons hero? - I like the changes.
  • D_RoddD_Rodd Member
    edited May 2016
    Thank you so much for removing the bait teams! I won't be nearly so frustrated knowing that today's tower will be the last time I have to slog through two lower floors with over-leveled bait teams. Yay!

EDIT: @Joveth - Is there any possible way to apply this to towers we have seen today but not started? Will unfought towers be reset for the event, or do we just have to wait till tomorrow for it to "get better"? ;)
  • MonkeyHunterMonkeyHunter Member
    edited May 2016
    Joveth wrote: »

I've got tower fodder in my bag, swag.
    Post edited by MonkeyHunter on
  • JovethJoveth Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
    D_Rodd wrote: »
    T
    EDIT: @Joveth - Is there any possible way to apply this to towers we have seen today but not started? Will unfought towers be reset for the event, or do we just have to wait till tomorrow for it to "get better"? ;)

We won't be able to change any towers that have already been seen/created.
    Joveth Gonzalez
  • D_RoddD_Rodd Member

We won't be able to change any towers that have already been seen/created.

Bummer. But thanks for your quick reply!
  • FoxboxesFoxboxes Member
    edited May 2016
    And just what is that event?

Formation, eh?
    Grand Guild Games #2 confirmed?

As for the update, I know A LOT of people who will be glad to see these changes implemented - Great to see improvements. :)
    DB%20Synchro%20Sig%20Fox%20Paladin%20Aug-01-01_zps1kp61yun.png
    Guildmaster 2.0 of Synchronicity
  • Dad2KNKDad2KNK Member
    Positive feedback

(And I have just reduced my defender count since it won't hurt anyone in the tower anymore.)
  • This could be interesting.....
    JetLi
  • Awesome change! Now to fix the underlying problem of why people use bait teams in the first place. Certainly a harder thing to fix though...
  • ShtankyShtanky Member
    Awesome change! Now to fix the underlying problem of why people use bait teams in the first place. Certainly a harder thing to fix though...

It really isn't hard to fix. Just code it so people can't put less than 4 heroes in for Defense. I'm actually wondering why this wasn't implemented ages ago, as using less than 4 heroes for Defense adds zero value to the game as a whole.
  • AceyNBAceyNB Member
    I LOVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH
    FINAL BOSS OFFICER
    9gJSaHl.gif
  • Dad2KNKDad2KNK Member
    Shtanky wrote: »
    Awesome change! Now to fix the underlying problem of why people use bait teams in the first place. Certainly a harder thing to fix though...

It really isn't hard to fix. Just code it so people can't put less than 4 heroes in for Defense. I'm actually wondering why this wasn't implemented ages ago, as using less than 4 heroes for Defense adds zero value to the game as a whole.

IMHO, the underlying problem is that attackers have such a distinct advantage in PvP. And that's a hard one to fix
  • ZombiZombi Member
    Great stuff - those bait teams, what a pain.

(and yes, I'm guilty of being part of the cause with my Furnace + Zomm combo!)
    Original%20Banner2_zpsiebnr38z.png
    Want to join Level Capped? | Line ID: ZOMBI.33 | Email: guildlevelcapped@gmail.com
    Level Capped Spotlight
    My YouTube Channel
    My Twitter Page

In Dungeon Boss, the bar for leadership is 500 gems, nothing more.
    "im nog suppries abort that antonia." [sic] - aNxem0n
  • AnokuuAnokuu Member
    Introducing New hero: Roger's mother, dhaegon's wife
    LINE: Anokuu
    Email: GensokyoFamily@gmail.com
  • JackHallow666JackHallow666 Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    No new token rewards? I'm sick f having 400+ excess Yorick tokens...
    Level: 70
    Favorite hero: Indigo
    Currently: Trying to get as many runes done as possible. Takes a lot of money, man!
  • JovethJoveth Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
    bjthrutch wrote: »

BEYONCE HERO CONFIRMED

I wish!
    Joveth Gonzalez
  • I just want to be able to level up my Shadow Queen. Hoping for more of her tokens this weekend.
  • Smart move catering to your low end players since there all pissed about grand guild games. Although I loved that event and its uniqueness many did not. I hope to see more of the shadow queen soon to star her up or as part of guild tournament rewards, cause augutus is a pretty lame reward.
  • This is great news. Excellent change. (Besides I was one of probably many that suggested it.)
  • Too bad. I was hoping to see my bait team in the tower.
    JetLi
  • JackHallow666JackHallow666 Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    @Joveth Is Yorick always gonna be the tower reward hero? :confused:
    Level: 70
    Favorite hero: Indigo
    Currently: Trying to get as many runes done as possible. Takes a lot of money, man!
  • Does this mean no more teams 10+ levels below me (lvl 68) on the lower floors? Might increase the challenge a bit.
  • wzangwzang Member
    edited May 2016
    This change made it harder. It's worse

Could we please reinvent the tower. It's so boring and now it's even longer to finish. The chests should be much more
    Improved with the difficulty I received.

9gJSaHl.gif
  • Sylfae wrote: »
    This is a nice change. I hope you guys have seen and will be addressing some of the other issues that have been raised with respect to the Pwnage Tower as well, that it is not much of a challenge and too much of a grind, since after a while everything looks the same, as has been mentioned in many other threads.

Loads more challenging and a lot more grindy.
    Hintedforyou

I will always find something to complain about, even as ridiculous as it may sound.
    My notifications box seems to have stopped working sorry if you get no reply from me.

• HintedforyouHintedforyou Member
    edited May 2016
    @Joveth Problem with the tower now and in the past makes it hard to do ChrisM told us the problem of balancing content but this is not the problem

1.The challenge
    2.Exact same as PVP

So what is the problem with challenges now that tower has been changed?

Tower before was filled with problems with the bait teams and teams that out leveled you highly. Now that the bait teams have been taken out and the level difference has made to a smaller number it has actually gotten a lot harder. My impression of the tower before this was to ramp up the difficulty as we went along in the tower basing it on that teams power level as seen with the bait teams, while the first 5 floors might be easier you will notice it will be much harder in the other floors. This is how the tower seemingly based on. Now it seems the power level really wont matter as the level difference is the only thing that matters now with the power level being squeezed and pressured to find them.

Why do I say its the exact same thing as PVP?

It took me about a week to come to the realization of this. The tower is just pvp with better rewards. Nothing else really. Which brings it to the problems of PVP, all the enemy teams have their abilities charged no matter what with the justification being "cause your against an AI brain". Oh im sure its hard for an AI to pick who to attack, The AI is actually pretty smart itself picking what it knows it can defeat while also being programmed to use its skills whenever it can.This creates a huge problem for powerhouses like Black diamond. She will have her assassins wrath which Buffs crit chance and attack while having a passive buff to crit chance, skill, and a enhanced crit bonus, essentially guaranteeing the crit. Shes a nightmare paired with kira and rocky and another hero. Why do I mention BD? Many players choose her leading to her being incredibly common in PVP and tower. So I can't see it really justified that they need that as a handicap cause its AI. This leads to us using bait heros throw away at those incredibly powerful skills.

So what would you want us to do then we gave you what you want and you still complain about it. It goes like this. One system sucks and the other one also sucks? Us as players have to pick the lesser of the 2 evils.

I know someone will just say "if you complain so much why aren't you looking for a way to where it could be fixed.
    I see 2 ways of this going down.

1. Put the old system back in but with bait teams removed and the level locked removed while the difficulty for the tower can be ramped up as you go from floor to floor.

2. Keep the new system in but tone down the ability of the AI to have all of their skills ready for them.
    Post edited by Hintedforyou on
    Hintedforyou

• wzangwzang Member
    This is ridiculous! @Joveth @ChrisM

It's PVP without the 40% health buff. Defense is stacked and offense cannot survive. You all need to course correct this soon. It won't be long before you start hearing the worse. This is not good
    9gJSaHl.gif