Hero Spotlight: Shieldmaiden Astrid

JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
edited June 2016 in Hero Spotlights
bzrvgv2h5ouu.png

Background: Long ago, Shieldmaiden Astrid grew up in a great warrior village that lived for battle. The Boss of Darkness demanded that this Village pledge their loyalty to him or be crushed under the might of his legions. The proud warriors denied his offer and choose to live only as free men and women. Enraged by this, he sent forth the Lich and his legions to crush this small warrior clan. The warrior clan ambushed the Lich’s forces long before they could reach the village and a great battle ensued. Thousands of skeletons “died”, well… not really because they are already dead but you know what I mean.

Unfortunately, the warrior clan was just far too out-numbered, and one by one they began to fall. Ordered to break away and warn her remaining villagers too weak to fight to flee, she ran as fast as she could but it was too late. When she arrived she found her village ransacked by a demonic division of the Lich’s forces. In a blinding rage she single-handedly cut down every last one of those demons. As the last of her warrior clan she vowed vengeance, joining forces with the mighty heroes of the land that rebelled against this Darkness.

Most Hated Hero: Ella Ametryst

Where Found: This hero is sometimes available from a Heroic Summon and an Event.

Element: FIRE: +30% bonus against NATURE enemies and -25% vs WATER enemies

Tags: Female Armored Tank Warrior

Traits:
  • Armored: Take less damage from melee attackers
  • Cloth Guardian: Increase DEF by 15% for all Caster and Healer allies
  • Demon Hunter: 2x damage when attacking Demons
Abilities and Ascensions:
  • Swing: Basic Melee Physical attack
  • Boomerang Shield: AOE attack that on hit knocks the enemies off-balance. (This ability upgrades with each ascension. Off-Balance lowers ATK and increases chance any attacks will be dodged.)

Next Ascension:

Required Evos:
  • Fire Evo Larva: 20
  • Fire Evo: 25
  • Fire Evo Monarch: 35
  • Arcane Evo: 2
New Trait!
  • Choking Provoke: Targets Provoked by this hero have 0% chance to CRIT
  • Cloth Guardian II: Increase DEF by 30% for all Caster and Healer allies
New Ability!
  • Embarrassing Jab: Attack that provokes the defender. Starts Powered.

Next Ascension:

Required Evos:
  • Dark Evo: 39
  • Nature Evo Monarch: 32
  • Coldfire Evo: 8
  • Infinity Evo: 2
New Trait!
  • Just a Scratch: Any melee attacker that has a lower ATK rating than her DEF rating will only do 1 damage to her and will raise her ATK 10% (up to an additional 100%). Increase in ATK will reset with next encounter.
  • Cloth Guardian III: Increase DEF by 50% for all Caster and Healer allies
New Ability!
  • Derision: Attack that provokes the defender and transfers a debuff from her to them.
Post edited by Joveth on
Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
www.bossfightentertainment.com

Comments

• "Just a Scratch: Any melee attacker that has a lower ATK rating than her DEF rating will only do 1 damage to her and will raise her ATK 10% (up to an additional 100%). Increase in ATK will reset with next encounter."

That's an interesting trait. That's a whole lot of memorizing I'll have to do to know what heroes this won't apply to! Fortunately I doubt I'll be seeing very much of this hero for a good long while.

I thematically like the idea of a tank that has synergy with casters and healers. Would she replace the role of Furnace however? I think that would be the main question as that is who I would see myself replacing in a typical offensive lineup.
  • Joel wrote: »
    Where Found: This hero is sometimes available from a Heroic Summon and an Event.
    Why another hero only themporarily available in the heroic summon? WHY?
    TTS1000, Officer in Kings of Diamond
    level 70, Roster Power 382k, 574k trophies (stats from July 5th 2017)
  • ThovarThovar Member
    TTS1000 wrote: »
    Joel wrote: »

So the developers can persuade you to purchase gems to temporarily stop the gaping head wound that is their profit margins right now.
  • Introducing the next hero you're least likely to ever have! You don't have Viperia, you don't have Zen, and you'll never have Astrid! Congrats!
  • RenlyRenly Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2016
    I wish she had bigger muscles. :(
    IGN: Renly
    DB Guru | OG Potato | Rightful Heir to the Iron Throne

“What I say is that, if a man really likes potatoes, he must be a pretty decent sort of fellow.”
    ― A.A. Milne

• leocatleocat Member
    Cloth Guardian III: Increase DEF by 50% for all Caster and Healer allies

50%!? Are u serious?
    That was too crazy! August and Emily will have almost 3,000 DEF! 3,000 DEF!!!
    And they can heal them self and revive. WTH!!??

I must get one.
  • Other tank hero that doesn't have a taunt
    I'm proud member of Potato Society

• danacdanac Member

Because Heroic is chock full. They seem to have decided to keep the number of heroes in Heroic constant and rotate a stock of of others during events. Unfortunately, that list is growing very big: Zen, Furnace, Cobressa, Bramble, Zomm, Astrid, Kai, Hansuke.
  • HaxusBloodbaneHaxusBloodbane Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    danac wrote: »

Because Heroic is chock full. They seem to have decided to keep the number of heroes in Heroic constant and rotate a stock of of others during events. Unfortunately, that list is growing very big: Zen, Furnace, Cobressa, Bramble, Zomm, Astrid, Kai, Hansuke.

Well why don't they rotate one of the heroes we all have starred out and put one of the ones we don't in? That would make a whole lot more sense to me. Instead of "Vanishing in 3 days" to "staying in heroic. Sifu has also left to go do training or whatever"
    Wants Control over a Legion of Spiders
    In game Level: 70
    Shared hero: Archangel Emily (Lvl 70), Epic level 12
    Lord of the Fries of The Potato Army Random Mook in Tater Squad Nameless Grunt in Tater Tots
    I'm on Twitter regularly

• JackHallow666JackHallow666 Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    Renly wrote: »

Me too! :3
    Level: 70
    Favorite hero: Indigo
    Currently: Trying to get as many runes done as possible. Takes a lot of money, man!
  • Renly wrote: »
    Renly wrote: »

Me too! :3

Me too! She is valkyrie from norse mythology and she is a Viking!
  • pjworldpjworld Member
    edited June 2016
    Can someone confirm if an equally starred FA Therand has less ATK than FA Astrid's DEF? If not Therand will one-shot her
  • Boomerang Shield: AOE attack that on hit knocks the enemies off-balance. (This ability upgrades with each ascension. Off-Balance lowers ATK and increases chance any attacks will be dodged.)

That skill at level 50 reduces attack % by 60% (It's scaling per level). That leads me to believe that at level 70 it would reduce attack by 80%. Is she another hero at the power level of Kai? Does reducing attack % affect ALL attack types? I also wonder how long the debuff lasts (Haven't taken the time to test her myself as her very existence leaves a sour taste in my mouth and I find myself not caring).
  • ZerniumZernium Member
    edited June 2016
    pjworld wrote: »
    Can someone confirm if an equally starred FA Therand has less ATK than FA Astrid's DEF? If not Therand will one-shot her

@pjworld Her ability is for melee attackers only.
    Zernium
  • Kinda an odd hero. I'm still learning her skills in PVP.

* I can tell her third skill when maxed packs a deadly punch. It can one shot Tsume (high damage skill + fire weakness + demon boosted damage).
    * Her 2nd aoe skill which does off balances heroes kinda works 50/50. Sometimes the enemy misses. Sometimes they don't. Yoko is more reliable. However Astrid's does more significant damage
    * Astrid is solid in PVP. Great damage and GOOD defense.
    * Pair her up with healers/caster and you have a solid tank team: Zen, Augustus, Emily. Very solid.
  • Kai+ Astrid seems like a very powerful defense
    Varlash
  • Zeta2cZeta2c Member
    12 pulls and got 1 icepick and 2 green jelly full unlock.

Good job, I will not waste a single gem in heroic portal until the real BIG update.
  • robotowarrobotowar Member
    edited June 2016
    RawNES wrote: »
    Zeta2c wrote: »

Good job, I will not waste a single gem in heroic portal until the real BIG update.

Don't waste gems until they fix the portals because they might not do that with this mythical "next big update".

The portal won't be fixed. It's been reiterated multiple times. So let's start accepting what it is now. We lost.

We're suckers because we still play.

• robotowar wrote: »

Don't waste gems until they fix the portals because they might not do that with this mythical "next big update".

The portal won't be fixed. It's been reiterated multiple times. So let's start accepting what it is now. We lost.

I don't understand French, but nothing is lost. We dropped their revenue 93% and now they got finance making them figure out why that happened which everyone I know has answered PORTALS so the battle is far from lost.

Bring back the original Heroic and VIP portals.

New players the chances of getting a hero to 6* after the portal change is nil. If you obtain VIP5 and gain access to the VIP portal maximizing a new hero costs approximately $550.
  • robotowarrobotowar Member
    edited June 2016
    robotowar wrote: »

I don't understand French, but nothing is lost. We dropped their revenue 93% and now they got finance making them figure out why that happened which everyone I know has answered PORTALS so the battle is far from lost.

Well if nothing is lost, then what are you complaining or whining or <put your word here>? If we dropped their revenue by 93%, then it's even. They dropped us. We dropped them. I don't get what you're trying to say.

If nothing is lost, then we should go on and play and quit whining. Oh I'm not saying to stop whining. I'm just following your logic that nothing is lost. I just don't see why someone would complain if nothing is lost lol.
  • To put back the thread in perspective,

@Joveth regarding Astrid's "Just a Scratch" trait

"Any melee attacker that has a lower ATK rating than her DEF rating will only do 1 damage to her and will raise her ATK 10% (up to an additional 100%). Increase in ATK will reset with next encounter."

Why does a 6-star FA Malice does only 1 damage against a 5-star Astrid with her Theft of Grace?

I have a 6 star Malice and 5 star Astrid. Malice has higher attack than Astrid's defence. So it should not do just 1 damage. Then I happened to encounter a 4 star Astrid. Again, Malice did 1 damage with her Theft of Grace. I assume the 4 star Astrid has an even lower defence than a 5 star one!

So there might be a potential bug here.

Can you explain who's who here: "Any melee attacker that has a lower ATK rating than her DEF rating will only do 1 damage to her "

Who's ATK rating? The attacker or Astrid? Who's DEF? The attacker or Astrid?
    To put back the thread in perspective,

@Joveth regarding Astrid's "Just a Scratch" trait

"Any melee attacker that has a lower ATK rating than her DEF rating will only do 1 damage to her and will raise her ATK 10% (up to an additional 100%). Increase in ATK will reset with next encounter."

Why does a 6-star FA Malice does only 1 damage against a 5-star Astrid with her Theft of Grace?

I have a 6 star Malice and 5 star Astrid. Malice has higher attack than Astrid's defence. So it should not do just 1 damage. Then I happened to encounter a 4 star Astrid. Again, Malice did 1 damage with her Theft of Grace. I assume the 4 star Astrid has an even lower defence than a 5 star one!

So there might be a potential bug here.

Can you explain who's who here: "Any melee attacker that has a lower ATK rating than her DEF rating will only do 1 damage to her "

Who's ATK rating? The attacker or Astrid? Who's DEF? The attacker or Astrid?

I think reading her first ability will answer all your questions.

"Boomerang Shield: AOE attack that on hit knocks the enemies off-balance. (This ability upgrades with each ascension. Off-Balance lowers ATK and increases chance any attacks will be dodged.)"

This is what makes her so strong. At level 70 it lowers attack rating by 70% so you better believe every single hero will have a lower attack rating than her defense. Once she hits your party with that ability, do not attack her until the debuff has been removed or worn off.

Well if nothing is lost, then what are you complaining or whining or <put your word here>? If we dropped their revenue by 93%, then it's even. They dropped us. We dropped them. I don't get what you're trying to say.

If nothing is lost, then we should go on and play and quit whining. Oh I'm not saying to stop whining. I'm just following your logic that nothing is lost. I just don't see why someone would complain if nothing is lost lol.

I'm whining because that's part of the fight. To keep the subject in as many threads as possible and support those who realize how they screwed this game up. Don't get upset or take it personal man. Sorry I hurt your feelings I guess I was too strong in my response. My bad bro.

Bring back the original Heroic and VIP portals.

New players the chances of getting a hero to 6* after the portal change is nil. If you obtain VIP5 and gain access to the VIP portal maximizing a new hero costs approximately $550.
  • cdd123cdd123 Member
    edited June 2016
    Who has astrid 6*. Because I do
    Post edited by cdd123 on
  • I have a five star Astrid and a Five star Kai I'm basically a god in pvp muhahaha! Though I did nearly beat a kai-Astrid team using lupina, Alexandros and two tough AoE attackers I'll never know if I would have won because the match glitched mid way not allowing me to click on opposing team, eventually I had to retreat.
  • I have a five star Astrid and a Five star Kai I'm basically a god in pvp muhahaha! Though I did nearly beat a kai-Astrid team using lupina, Alexandros and two tough AoE attackers I'll never know if I would have won because the match glitched mid way not allowing me to click on opposing team, eventually I had to retreat.

Out of curiosity how many heroic pulls did it take to get to 5 stars? And did you buy both ascension bundles to get to 4 stars immediately?

I'm whining because that's part of the fight. To keep the subject in as many threads as possible and support those who realize how they screwed this game up. Don't get upset or take it personal man. Sorry I hurt your feelings I guess I was too strong in my response. My bad bro.

Lol. Pure nonsense. You're just trolling.

Out of curiosity how many heroic pulls did it take to get to 5 stars? And did you buy both ascension bundles to get to 4 stars immediately?

A **** load and yes I did. Probably spent roughly $150.00 per hero