Skill vs. Crit chance

What's the difference? Skill described as "how often a hero can crit" (also improves quality of non-attack skills, but not concerned with this part). Crit chance simply described as "chance that an attack will be critical"

As it pertains to critical hits, these two stats sound quite similar but I'm sure there's some nuanced difference, so what is it? thanks

Comments

• MonkeyHunterMonkeyHunter Member
    edited August 2016
    This is a great question. What's the difference? @joel @Joveth
  • Is skill useful to any class except healer? Do I smash any rune with skill as a secondary stat?
  • Crit chance is governed by Skill and they go up together linearly. So really they are not separate at all but are listed separately (probably so you can see exactly how much crit % chance you have).
    McNoob
  • The fire Focus rune improves skill and critical while fire Insight rune improves only critical.

55txp48rhi4r.png
    yjhy79tr4k1r.png
  • similar to Def and dmg reduction?

defense being like skill while damage reduction being like crit % ?

the Main Stat (i.e. Skill, defense) effect the % stat .
  • Dingus wrote: »
    Crit chance is governed by Skill and they go up together linearly. So really they are not separate at all but are listed separately (probably so you can see exactly how much crit % chance you have).

But with runes you can improve your Crit percentage (Precision rune) or you can improve your Skill (Focus rune). So these seem like separate stats
  • I haven't tested, but my suspicion is that skill is similar to attack/defense dynamic. Perhaps they take your skill divided by enemy skill and adjust the crit chance up or down based on that multiplier.
  • Foozle wrote: »
    I haven't tested, but my suspicion is that skill is similar to attack/defense dynamic. Perhaps they take your skill divided by enemy skill and adjust the crit chance up or down based on that multiplier.

That's a really interesting hypothesis! No idea how you can really test it. Wonder how it would work with healing however.
  • Foozle wrote: »
    I haven't tested, but my suspicion is that skill is similar to attack/defense dynamic. Perhaps they take your skill divided by enemy skill and adjust the crit chance up or down based on that multiplier.

That's a really interesting hypothesis! No idea how you can really test it. Wonder how it would work with healing however.

You could test it on the tower by attacking enemies of varying skill levels over and over again with a fast hero, but the sample size required would be so large I'm not sure anyone would have the patience!

Regarding healing, I think at least some healing abilities are just a straight percentage of the skill value, similar to how damage is a percentage of attack value - except there isn't the +/- 10% variation for healing like there is with damage. I was testing on Ember when she first came out and noticed the healing amount was exactly same each time. I never really followed through by noting amounts as she leveled up, but maybe I'll experiment with again sometime.
  • One reason I'm asking about this is because your crit percentage gets capped so that even with runes you're not getting a higher base chance to crit. But Skill doesn't get capped, so can you still get a higher crit chance beyond your Crit % by raising Skill?
  • dabawse wrote: »
    One reason I'm asking about this is because your crit percentage gets capped so that even with runes you're not getting a higher base chance to crit. But Skill doesn't get capped, so can you still get a higher crit chance beyond your Crit % by raising Skill?

That is my question, too. Would love to get Nub's crit rate higher!
  • I always thought skill increased your chance to hit enemies that dodge.
  • Go with skill