Slow Leveling In Dungeon Boss, Pvp Updates, The Tower?

So slow leveling is still really good in the sense that the tower is a complete breeze to go through, but now that PvP has been reworked, there doesn't seem to be an instant advantage to it.

I know there's not a lot of slow levelers left in the community, a lot of people gave up on it when you were unable to retreat from battles in single player, and more people are probably fast leveling after this pvp update. But, nevertheless i would like to hear from the few of you left. Chances are I will never break my slow leveling account, and i'll probably just use another account to get to max level as fast as possible.

For anyone wondering, i'm a level 29 around 300 days in with a few 6 starred heroes (Ponifex and most great summon heroes). Most heroic summon heroes are 4-5 starred.
«1

Comments

  • Just curious...If you already have a bunch of six star heroes and you acknowledge that slow leveling doesn't give any benefit anymore, why not just bring that account up to lev 70? You'll be saving yourself a ton of resources over starting a new account. The tower will still be easy for you at 70 (tower is easy at 70 even if you fast leveled the whole way). Since you already have a solid starting point, boss mode/epics/70 PvP will be much easier for you than if you started fresh.
  • There is no advantage to slow leveling anymore. Before, you could use it to abuse pvp and the tower. Now, tower is cake and pvp is not level restricted anymore. Being under 60 just means you are missing all the end game content.
  • I think you still have to ask yourself if you plan to spend money on this game and, when you arrive at level 70 how robust do you want your heroic portal heroes.

    If you get to level 70 with a fairly weak roster and you got there in 2-3 months vs taking your time and doing it over a year or pick any longer number, you will have had many more tower runs and therefore many more gems. Plus these are tower runs you can complete.
    When you get to 70 with a weak roster, it will be pretty hard to complete the tower and if you do you will have completed it far fewer times.

    There are obviously folks that strongly suggest you rush as fast as you can to 70. Maybe they need more weak people up there to pick on. I do not know why there is such a strong push to rush to high levels. Maybe with over powered runes now, there is no weak roster at 70? Maybe 2-3 stars on most heroes is sufficient and not having all the heroic heroes unlocked when you get there does not matter?

    If you plan to spend hundreds of dollars on this game, by all means get to 70 as fast as possible.

    Also if, as you say you already have a good roster, maybe getting to 70 fast is the way to go now.

    I just think you need to examine your roster, play style, future expenditures, and consider all of that. Not just assume fast is the best in all cases. Missing end game content that you can not complete due to weak heroes is still missing it.

    litespeed
  • RyleeGraceRyleeGrace Member
    edited February 1
    I know slow levelers have been loathe to accept that, but it's the truth. Assuming equal play, people who fast leveled while you slow leveled are now way ahead of you and you won't catch back up to them unless you decide to put in more time/effort/money than they do. But you did have a year or so of getting to dominate your own level. Nothing wrong with either approach, but only one works going forward unfortunately.

    Whether I rush to 70 or not, I'll never catch nomadz, dane, etc...all those people who spend thousands/month. Also, I do enjoy the game at every level, so no need to rush to the end. It's the journey, not the destination. Don't most games get boring at the end?

    Edit: sorry rawNES
    Post edited by RyleeGrace on
  • I am a level 63 slow/smart leveler with a total hero roster power of 240k. The people I am matched up against in this new pvp are almost always a higher level than me. I have a few problems with some of the stronger teams, but do you know who I don't have problems with? All the weak level 70's who believed the lies and rushed to get there.
  • WalkinDude wrote: »
    I am a level 63 slow/smart leveler with a total hero roster power of 240k. The people I am matched up against in this new pvp are almost always a higher level than me. I have a few problems with some of the stronger teams, but do you know who I don't have problems with? All the weak level 70's who believed the lies and rushed to get there.


    Sure, but you're sort of missing the point. You're comparing yourself against the wrong people. Those weak level 70s are fresh level 70s. They won't stay that way for too long. The stronger teams that you do have problems with? Those are the players that have put in similar amounts of time and effort to you. You beat up on lower levels for months while they struggled but steadily advanced. You traded some of your long term power for some short term dominance. That has always been the tradeoff for slow leveling. You may have decided that tradeoff was worthwhile for you, and that's totally fine. But to not recognize that you are overall less powerful due to slow leveling than you would have been fast leveling is to deny reality.
  • How am I missing out on power? I have plenty! When I look at at the power rankings there is nothing but level 70's around me and a few other slow levelers. I will hit 300k in roster power BEFORE I get to level 70! Again, how is that missing out on long term power?
  • AgonAgon Member
    I think the point is if you hadn't slow leveled all of that time you spent at lower levels you could have already been grinding out superior runes and Max epics and all that. If you had leveled normally you would already have over 300k RP

    Again if slow leveling is what you want to do go for it, but a 70 that put in as much time in as you did in your 50s would be better off right now. Especially now that pvp isn't level based I really don't see the point.
  • WalkinDude wrote: »
    How am I missing out on power? I have plenty! When I look at at the power rankings there is nothing but level 70's around me and a few other slow levelers. I will hit 300k in roster power BEFORE I get to level 70! Again, how is that missing out on long term power?

    You said you were level 63. Under the current system, matchups are based on league and power, not level, so you would be up against roughly the same people if you leveled to 70 tomorrow (for the sake of argument). If you put in the time to get your current roster at level 63, than it's a given that you could have the exact same roster right now at level 70 if you chose to, right? So, what would you say is more powerful? Your exact same roster at level 63 or at level 70?

    Aside from that, while you were slow leveling, the people that didn't slow level had access to better runes, better store options, level locked events, etc. They got all those things sooner than you did. If you had put in the exact same time and effort fast leveling as you did slow leveling, you also would have gotten to those things sooner. Which means you would have upgraded from there sooner too. Instead, you stayed at a lower level, and got to dominate at that lower level. Your roster stayed more powerful relative to others at your level, but less powerful relative to someone who put in the same resources as you did but fast leveled instead. You will forever be behind that alternate version of yourself unless you start putting in more resources than they do.
  • Agon wrote: »
    I think the point is if you hadn't slow leveled all of that time you spent at lower levels you could have already been grinding out superior runes and Max epics and all that. If you had leveled normally you would already have over 300k RP

    Again if slow leveling is what you want to do go for it, but a 70 that put in as much time in as you did in your 50s would be better off right now. Especially now that pvp isn't level based I really don't see the point.

    Ignore my post. Agon explained it in a much simpler way. I tend to get a little word heavy.
  • Ummm I am already grinding out runes and max epics. That's why my power is so high, and while those level 70's are improving their rosters I am improving mine. Plus I can still get stronger by leveling up, they can't. Your arguments are false!
  • AgonAgon Member
    It's really not tho, anyone who didn't slow level but put in the exact same amount of time as you would have the same stats. They had just as many tournaments, events, ect. But all that time you were avoiding XP they were grinding tokens so got their 6* earlier, by time invested not player level. On top of that they would have been able to get to the high end runes sooner, which means they would have more than you do right now. On top of all that this new system gives no reason to not level up. You're going to face 70s that are around your HP either way, so you're just gimping yourself by not getting to 70.

    I had a slow leveling account, believe me I'm not trying to hate at all. But you need to understand what the point of slow leveling was, it was never to have a better roster vs time played, it was to have a better roster vs player level. Player levels are pretty much a non issue now, so there is no benefit to it anymore.

    Keep doin you tho, as long as you're enjoying it.
  • Skip_HolmesSkip_Holmes Member
    edited February 1
    WalkinDude wrote: »
    Ummm I am already grinding out runes and max epics. That's why my power is so high, and while those level 70's are improving their rosters I am improving mine. Plus I can still get stronger by leveling up, they can't. Your arguments are false!


    But you would have been doing it sooner if you weren't slow leveling, and that snowballs into everything else. No one is saying you don't have a solid roster. No one is saying you did anything the wrong way. Just that, of two people who theoretically start at the same time and put in the same time and resources, the fast leveler will always be a bit ahead of the slow leveler in terms of overall power, while the slow leveler will be more powerful relative to his level peers. It's a subtle distinction, but it's unavoidably true.

    Two other ways to think about it:

    1-The best players in the world with the highest roster powers are pretty much universally level 70. If there was no tradeoff and slow leveling was both more powerful long term and more powerful at current level, then why did the people who care most about the game and put the most into it all choose to level to 70? These are the most devoted of the min/maxer crowd. If they could eek the smallest advantage out of something, they do it. If staying at a low level was beneficial long term, they would be doing it.


    2-If slow leveling had no tradeoff, why would there be dozens of threads arguing over the merits of slow leveling? The arguments are always about whether the tradeoff from slow leveling is worthwhile. The arguments are not about whether the tradeoff exists. The newest update changed the terms of that tradeoff to the point where fewer and fewer people find it a worthwhile trade. But it is, and always has been, a trade. Up to each person to decide if they like the trade or not. Just understand the conditions when making the decision. You are giving up some overall power when you slow level.
  • My intake name is the same as this one. You 2 need to go look at my roster. You have no idea what you are talking about. I got my first epic literally minutes after I reached level 60. You can't do it any faster. People who rushed don't get to do that. I am stronger than the fast levelers now, I will be stronger than them next week and next month. It doesn't matter how slow I go, it will always be that way.
  • AgonAgon Member
    You're misusing the term faster. You got your epic at a lower LEVEL, but there was no way you got it faster than you would have otherwise, assuming you slow leveled the entire time.

    And you're stronger than fast levelers at YOUR level, not the fast levelers that STARTED the same day you did and have played every day as well. Like, I can't believe you don't get how this works. I'm done tho, keep doing you boo boo
  • WalkinDude wrote: »
    My intake name is the same as this one. You 2 need to go look at my roster. You have no idea what you are talking about. I got my first epic literally minutes after I reached level 60. You can't do it any faster. People who rushed don't get to do that. I am stronger than the fast levelers now, I will be stronger than them next week and next month. It doesn't matter how slow I go, it will always be that way.

    You got it the minute you turned 60. But if you didn't slow level, you would have gotten it 2 months earlier at level 70 when epics were first released. Understand now?

    Nobody is saying your account sucks. Your RP is impressive for your level. But if you put in the same effort while fast leveling, you might be competing for top 100.

    Did you even finish in legend 1 at level 63? If you did, it was probably a struggle. If you didn't, you missed out on a pretty nice rune (it's in my top 5 best runes and I'm ranked 80ish in total RP on the leaderboard).

  • I am a pretty firm believer in slow leveling, but I actually kind of agree with Skip/echo here.

    In order to slow level, you DO have to make some sacrifices. Can we agree on this much?
    Examples:
    1) you forego gold/items/etc for completing a dungeon by Retreating at the last minute, when doing Kill X quests. It is relatively minor, but still significant. Before it made sense to run from a wooden chest. Now, you lose all clickey rewards, EVOs, and cant run from a wooden if it existed.

    2) You will likely bypass some "Complete X times" type quests with weaker but still significant rewards because they aren't worth the XP gained.

    3) It takes more effort to run from the last map, vs clicking AUTO and letting it finish.

    4) You will probably NOT quickloot/run every campaign map that would be beneficial. I only do the ones that can give me a useful token (which isn't much anymore), and even then usually only on double-token or whatever day.

    Granted I have almost 8000 stamina piled up which is normally a limiting factor. But, I only gain stamina from Tower basically. Or if I bought with pwnage pts. I never "naturally" get it for free in over a year.
    If I had used it as I went, I'd overall have a lot more of it.


    Before, there were valid reasons to not rush ahead. But now, really only the Tower is the main reason to not advance. Its great having a super easy tower, but thats all that I'd miss. If I was still playing a lot, I'd probably go ahead and cash in the 8k stamina (in a smart way at least), and level up to max.
  • All you need to do is ask the top players. Did they slow level? I think the answer for all of them will be no.
    Zodiac4EVA

  • Um, the top players are VIP10 which means they spent over 1000 dollars on this game. Do you think they NEEDED to slow level???
  • I haven't spend any where near $1000 I'm Vip 5 I didn't slow level I'm top 100 pvp and near top 100 pr. Slow levelling is crap.
    Zodiac4EVA

  • UrBonerUrBoner Member
    Zodiac4EVA wrote: »
    All you need to do is ask the top players. Did they slow level? I think the answer for all of them will be no.

    well they are likely to spend either a lot of money or a lot of time. im looking at all these arguements and they seem to miss an opportunity to prove slow leveling wrong, if they can. because to most slow levelers, the trade off for long term power is hocus pocus. the idea that it's quicker to level normally because they grind it out before we do is hocus pocus. the main question on top of a slow levelers mind is we use these alternative power ups (tokens, runes, etc.) to make our characters stronger. These are resource we have to fight for with a solid team. if we don't spend money and quick level. we are faced with a vastly inferior team that can't compete in pvp well. how will we eventually get these alternative power ups. i think there is not enough of a good wiki source to tell us what is at higher levels. because if i cant compete for these power ups, it will be forevers before i can. as for slow leveling, but the time i get to high levels, i can compete for this right away. the cost of course is that quick levelers will be here before us. however and this is the concept that people disagree on is if x = how long a quick leveler gets to max level and becomes competitive and if y = slow leveler gets to max level and becomes competitive. which variable is greater x or y. and a lot of these times are guestimations and gut feelings

    also on another note, you can't really say for certain no slow levelers are top of pvp because there is not insigna for them. or for paid players or free players.
  • KaceyKacey Member
    UrBoner wrote: »
    Zodiac4EVA wrote: »
    All you need to do is ask the top players. Did they slow level? I think the answer for all of them will be no.

    well they are likely to spend either a lot of money or a lot of time. im looking at all these arguements and they seem to miss an opportunity to prove slow leveling wrong, if they can. because to most slow levelers, the trade off for long term power is hocus pocus. the idea that it's quicker to level normally because they grind it out before we do is hocus pocus. the main question on top of a slow levelers mind is we use these alternative power ups (tokens, runes, etc.) to make our characters stronger. These are resource we have to fight for with a solid team. if we don't spend money and quick level. we are faced with a vastly inferior team that can't compete in pvp well. how will we eventually get these alternative power ups. i think there is not enough of a good wiki source to tell us what is at higher levels. because if i cant compete for these power ups, it will be forevers before i can. as for slow leveling, but the time i get to high levels, i can compete for this right away. the cost of course is that quick levelers will be here before us. however and this is the concept that people disagree on is if x = how long a quick leveler gets to max level and becomes competitive and if y = slow leveler gets to max level and becomes competitive. which variable is greater x or y. and a lot of these times are guestimations and gut feelings

    also on another note, you can't really say for certain no slow levelers are top of pvp because there is not insigna for them. or for paid players or free players.

    bit of a necropost.. let the dead rest.
    FINAL BOSS OFFICER
    9gJSaHl.gif
  • fphfph Member
    edited April 16
    Good points on both sides. This might sound crazy but less heroes and lower total roster power equals easier choices in PVP. Collect those tokens but don't unlock the heroes. How you level is irrelevant right now. At least until they adjust E/M/H formula.
    Post edited by fph on
    Always keep striving towards tomorrow because you want to live another day and tomorrow never dies!...DM

  • UrBonerUrBoner Member
    fph wrote: »
    Good points on both sides. This might sound crazy but less heroes and lower total roster power equals easier choices in PVP. Collect those tokens but don't unlock the heroes. How you level is irrelevant right now. At least until they adjust E/M/H formula.

    what is wrong with the formula right now? i thought the point was so anyone can get into legend. works for me O,o
  • fphfph Member
    edited April 16
    Formula works great for me. Historically in this game everything changes. You have to ride the waves while you can.
    Post edited by fph on
    Always keep striving towards tomorrow because you want to live another day and tomorrow never dies!...DM

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.

© 2015 Big Fish Games. Inc., Big Fish, the Big Fish logo, and Dungeon Boss are
trademarks of Big Fish Games, Inc., used with permission www.bigfishgames.com