Pvp Tiers Still Need Adjustments

@Eej @Joel,

Two days left in the preseason and we are looking at only 25 of the top 100 being in legend 1. Even with the brand new shiny blue rune as incentive there just aren't enough people to fill Legend 1 before the top 100. This can not be working as intended. An increase of trophies earned, or decrease of the tier requirement is needed. There is a good chance that some in legend 3 will still be in the top 100 and pickup the superior rune.

anhs4w7sh36n.png

Comments

• Glad to see such a low number of people, proves that the devs absolutely ruined a once great feature of the game
    image_zps4zrzt4i6.png
  • kpung07kpung07 Member
    I couldn't agree more this really needs to be addressed.
  • I don't think it's a lack of people overall. I think it's more a general lack of interest.

They've created a system that produces burnout at a truly incredible rate. I think a lot of top 100/legend 1 players (myself included) are just sitting it out altogether at this point. Consider:

-The matchups at the top end are incredibly repetitive, with only slight variations between 3 or 4 useable teams.
    -RNG is playing an increasingly infuriating part in all matchups. A single MK dodge often decides the entire match. When you have a decent win streak going that took time and resources to build and lose solely because of something entirely out of your control, you just don't even want to play anymore.
    -The number of matches needed to maintain top 100 is staggering. You no longer can treat the game as a game. You have to schedule blocks of time, resource regeneration, and sleeping schedules in order to maximize your streaks and trophies. In short, it's become a job or chore.
    -The developers frequently throw up road blocks that impede your progress. Such as event quests, daily guild quests, unannounced extended end times, false starts, chest collection bugs, etc.

And if you somehow manage to put up with all of that and get your top 100 win, you don't get so much as a single hour off before the whole cycle starts up again. It's a recipe for complete burnout of even your most devoted players. No one is having fun with this system, which is what the entire point of playing a game should be.

Everything you said is spot on mate. The only dang thing the new PvP system has done is make me want to stop PvP forever.
    image_zps4zrzt4i6.png
  • PardonPardon Member
    @Skip_Holmes It couldn't be said in a better way....now the question is....will they do something or not?
  • @Skip_Holmes I agree. I took a preseason 3 off and it was a nice break for sure. This time of year my 'normal' sleep schedule just happens to overlap with the daily reset. This affords me a luxury that not everyone else really has. Most of the time I can just binge pvp every other night and double dip on the reset and Aether tickets. This combined with the daily tickets had been enough to easily stay top 100 in the previous seasons. Now that there is so much rng and extremely limited match making there are two options. Pvp a lot more and hope for the best, or run the most boring damage reduction team ever and very carefully pick your matches. I will run the damage reduction team every now and then, but would rather quit playing all together than run it over and over and over. Games are supposed to be fun, and that is not fun.
  • RenlyRenly Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    @Skip_Holmes Probably the best summation I've seen on the problems with PVP Seasons. Tagging @Eej @Joel in hopes they see it and consider these points moving forward.
    IGN: Renly
    DB Guru | OG Potato | Rightful Heir to the Iron Throne

“What I say is that, if a man really likes potatoes, he must be a pretty decent sort of fellow.”
    ― A.A. Milne

• The top 100 should be more like top 500.
  • NateDoge wrote: »
    The top 100 should be more like top 500.

Would that not just be everyone who PVPs more than 4-8 times a day? Seems like there aren't many people trying any more.
  • I don't think it's a lack of people overall. I think it's more a general lack of interest.

They've created a system that produces burnout at a truly incredible rate. I think a lot of top 100/legend 1 players (myself included) are just sitting it out altogether at this point. Consider:

-The matchups at the top end are incredibly repetitive, with only slight variations between 3 or 4 useable teams.
    -RNG is playing an increasingly infuriating part in all matchups. A single MK dodge often decides the entire match. When you have a decent win streak going that took time and resources to build and lose solely because of something entirely out of your control, you just don't even want to play anymore.
    -The number of matches needed to maintain top 100 is staggering. You no longer can treat the game as a game. You have to schedule blocks of time, resource regeneration, and sleeping schedules in order to maximize your streaks and trophies. In short, it's become a job or chore.
    -The developers frequently throw up road blocks that impede your progress. Such as event quests, daily guild quests, unannounced extended end times, false starts, chest collection bugs, etc.

And if you somehow manage to put up with all of that and get your top 100 win, you don't get so much as a single hour off before the whole cycle starts up again. It's a recipe for complete burnout of even your most devoted players. No one is having fun with this system, which is what the entire point of playing a game should be.

Excellent assessment.

Also likely explains why people are tripping over level 70s in the lower leagues/tiers. Those level 70s just aren't even trying because they're no longer engaged.
  • danacdanac Member
    It's not just that.

Yall didn't even mention the huge grind to get to legendary 1. Your critique of the top 100 is spot on, but I don't care about the top 100.
    And the effort to get to legendary 1 is a huge depressing weight.

• At this point, if you're trying for L1, you might as well go for top 100
  • bvs72bvs72 Member
    Any help on the correct approach to getting the legendary conqueror achievement would be appreciated.

xgrcqc4346r4.png
  • bvs72 wrote: »
    Any help on the correct approach to getting the legendary conqueror achievement would be appreciated.

xgrcqc4346r4.png

Earn the most trophies in any season and you earn the achievement.
  • RexobRexob Member
    edited March 14
    The RNG is frustrating for me - if I Miss or an enemy Dodges - it's over. I went from playing 200+ matches the first three PS to barely 100 combined in 4 & 5. At Lv65 with Epics lv6-9 and decent Greater runes that are at minimum Heroic 5* I know I can't compete with 8k MK teams.

The last two PS I've worked my way out of Glad 1 and then just sit in Champ 1. PvP used to be the driving force for me to play, now I avoid it b/c it's the single must frustrating aspect of the game. To reiterate Skip's point - I'm no longer having fun, and honestly haven't in a few weeks...

I used to be in 10k Crown guild, but since resigned position; even dropping out of a guild with a 170 weekly requirement as I have 0 interest or desire to participate in the PvP.
    IGN & Line: N00BST4R - Final Boss
  • bvs72bvs72 Member
    @JaxBoomstick - How much will it cost in runes and raid tickets? Do you think they might just have a special offer where you can buy the achievement?
  • @bvs72 960 gems total over a week. Raid every other day and get 4x 108 streaks and you'll be #1. No I don't think buying achievements is on the Dungeon Boss radar. Runes are RNG so i can't help ya with that.
  • bvs72bvs72 Member
    @JaxBoomstick - I think there must be something else I need to know that you aren't tellIng me. My team keeps losing.
  • Woo. Demoted minutes before the season ended thanks to some horible rng and 100% dr teams. And no announced changes for this season! Hooray!
  • NateDoge wrote: »
    Woo. Demoted minutes before the season ended thanks to some horible rng and 100% dr teams. And no announced changes for this season! Hooray!

But wait until you figure out all the unannounced changes!
  • echonapechonap Member
    Pvp is burning out players faster than Portalgate did. I don't even want to play anymore. Just hanging on for my guild.
    The Empire is recruiting.
  • echonap wrote: »
    Pvp is burning out players faster than Portalgate did. I don't even want to play anymore. Just hanging on for my guild.

Agreed. Nothing says "fun" like 300+ raids a week against the same 3 or 4 defenses.
  • 40000 trophies again for Legend I. Yeah, no way in hell. I've made it to Legend II just barely these last two tournaments. Legend I is just woefully out of reach.
  • Skip_HolmesSkip_Holmes Member
    edited March 22
    FatCat69 wrote: »
    40000 trophies again for Legend I. Yeah, no way in hell. I've made it to Legend II just barely these last two tournaments. Legend I is just woefully out of reach.

Problem is that it's such a huge step, you already know ahead of time if you have the roster and the time to get there.

If you're routinely top 100, it's not "hard" to be top 100, it's just a boring slog. If you aren't top 100 (or at least legend 1, which is mostly the same thing) you probably aren't going to bother even trying to get there. If you dump the time and gems needed to make an attempt, and you dont quite make it, you've f-ed yourself. So you only bother if you're already sure you can. Which leads to a very distinct and set tier of people at the top, and everyone else falling further behind by the week.
  • oredithoredith Member
    FatCat69 wrote: »
    Rich get richer. Poor stay poor. And everyone gets exhausted and burnt out.
    which ties in nicely to the current debacle over allegations of cheating, and if the rich are getting richer by cheating the rest of the people out of it.

@Joel indicated that @Eej would be posting up something about that today. curious to see what will be said.

the burnout is very real though, and an inadequate response to assure the players that the "gentrification" exacerbated by cheating is going greatly needed.

soon™ - it's the answer to everything
  • I was set at champ 3 for this preseason, and it feels like im at legend 3. Every team offered is nuts. Gah, I usually get a few easy fights before I hit warlord, but it looks like those days might be over. Ugh. Burned out before I even begin.
  • danacdanac Member
    bvs72 wrote: »
    @JaxBoomstick - I think there must be something else I need to know that you aren't tellIng me. My team keeps losing.

Well, now we know how to do it. There's been multiple threads recently explaining it.
  • -The number of matches needed to maintain top 100 is staggering. You no longer can treat the game as a game. You have to schedule blocks of time, resource regeneration, and sleeping schedules in order to maximize your streaks and trophies. In short, it's become a job or chore.

I just want to stress this part of my earlier post. This is one of the biggest reasons I've sat out this preseason after putting in the top 100 grind previously. In short, you better be prepared to dump 3-4 hours per day into nothing but PvP if you want to compete at the top. That's ridiculous for a mobile game.

I get up in the morning, get the kids off to school, spend the day working, get home and deal with making dinners, walking dogs, bath time, bed time...it's like 8:30pm before I get to sit down and relax a bit. I was spending my entire evening pvping just to keep up. The breaking point for me was early last pre-season when my wife got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and found me sitting in bed playing on my phone. She asked me why I wasn't sleeping. I offhandedly told her (in laymans terms) that I had set my alarm because gem costs for raiding reset in the middle of the night and I had a winning streak going that I needed to maintain and so I had to be awake for the reset in order to maximize the number of matches I could run because I was top 25 and didn't want to drop too far down.

She looked at me like I was a lunatic. And then went back to sleep. That got me thinking about it. What the hell kind of system is so punishing that I need to schedule my sleep around it to not lose ground? Why would I do that to myself? How is this in any way fun?

So I finished out the week and haven't pvped since.

skip - maybe if you cut back on posting to the forum you'll have more time to focus on your kids, wife, dogs, work, and the most important thing...PVP raids.