Producer Letter - March 22nd, 2017

Comments

• @Eej Are you still going to remove resist? I keep getting a ridiculous amount or triple resist runes from this event. I can't say I'm at all happy with that.
  • If anyone is familiar with the history of Diablo II, the hackers far outcoded the devs. Creating mods, public and priv bots, releasing item duplication exploits and other crazy glitches. As much as the devs tried to stop all this, there's always someone who can program better than you. So many hacks, exploits and .dll injected code was patched and then people just updated the offsets and patched it to work again. This led to mass botters selling items for real money and eventually everyone was doing it. Running 10+ bots 24/7 to repeat the same bosses for drops. Blizzard may have even purposely left some of these exploits but eventually they gave up and lost a lot of programmers as well. There will always be bugs in a game as vast as that, and this game is pretty vast itself. Maybe the apm exploit will be fixed, maybe not, but expect there to be some type of bug/glitch/exploit/bot user present. It's just how it works. You can't stop them all.
  • I don't think I'm going out on a limb here when I say that Every. Single. Person. doesn't need to tag Eej in all their posts. He's going to read this thread regardless. I can only imagine logging on to 100 notifications every time is incredibly detrimental to him seeing posts that should actually have his attention called to.

On another note:
    Enervate wrote: »
    @Eej Are you still going to remove resist? I keep getting a ridiculous amount or triple resist runes from this event. I can't say I'm at all happy with that.

This is a pretty silly question. From a logic stand point there is literally no correlation between resist runes currently dropping (Why wouldn't they?), and whether or not rune crafting is still being looked at. But I'll go ahead and answer your question anyways -

Rune crafting and rune stats are currently being evaluated. This evaluation includes the resistance stat. Whether it will be removed completely, or simply taken off certain rune recipes is yet to be determined.

Thank you for the reply. I was moreso trying to say that resist runes suck (They love me way more in this event than in any previous ones) and am hoping Eej and his team are still planning on removing resist as a rune bonus and rune type, as well as disabling those recipes and drops in dungeons.

The bit about the SKL update reminded me of skill runes and led me to wonder about the resist runes as well.

I have made it a habit to tag people I am talking to directly, so I'm sorry if it causes any inconvenience to anyone.

P.S. Also to be fair, I'd be a little more reluctant to check up on a thread that has comments throwing shade.
  • oredithoredith Member
    bvs72 wrote: »
    I am so glad that BF put the hammer down on those cheaters. Too bad they used the same hammers that don't seem to be a doing a good job protecting our dungeon.
    first rule of boss fight club.. >_>
  • bvs72bvs72 Member
    **** you hammers! How did you get around my defense! Did somebody cheat to get around the protection certified by BF.

9o7a16mzno85.png
  • bvs72 wrote: »
    **** you hammers! How did you get around my defense! Did somebody cheat to get around the protection certified by BF.

9o7a16mzno85.png

Someone has obviously been poking holes in your hammers.
  • oredithoredith Member
    is it just me, or did the [sticky] on this thread fail? looks like it's not grouped with the other stickies at the top of the forum
  • oredith wrote: »
    is it just me, or did the [sticky] on this thread fail? looks like it's not grouped with the other stickies at the top of the forum

Huh? I'm seeing it stickied. It goes down if other stickied threads have posts in them.
  • oredithoredith Member
    shiggity80 wrote: »
    oredith wrote: »

Huh? I'm seeing it stickied. It goes down if other stickied threads have posts in them.
    in retrospect, i should have taken a screen shot.

what I saw was:
    [stickied]
    [stickied]
    [stickied]
    normal thread
    normal thread
    normal thread
    [stickied] <-- this thread

i guess one way to tell is to respond to another thread and see if it gets pushed between the stickied.

in retrospect, i should have taken a screen shot.

what I saw was:
    [stickied]
    [stickied]
    [stickied]
    normal thread
    normal thread
    normal thread
    [stickied] <-- this thread

i guess one way to tell is to respond to another thread and see if it gets pushed between the stickied.

Oh, if that's what you saw, then yeah, something would definitely be broken....just like their game :P
  • oredithoredith Member
    Yup. Sticky lost its grip jgcj2n2ozrxn.png
  • D_Rodd wrote: »
    did the investigation happen? if so, was no wrong-doing found?

if wrong-doing WAS found, apparently the punishment did not result in even a temporary banning.

so, I hope you can understand why your original response is a bit underwhelming. the consequences were certainly not tangibly felt, and left a lot of desire for more detailed communications.

Very well said! I really feel this issue is at the heart of why the vast majority of feedback that I have heard from players is that they don't believe the promises that have been made.

SOMEONE CLEARLY CHEATED.

DB said they would investigate and take action.

THE CHEATER HAS NOT BEEN PUNISHED.

Why would anyone believe DB is capable of catching or punishing cheaters when they have not done so in spite of clear evidence?

There will be no punishment. Eej plainly said it would go warning first->temp ban->perm ban.
    Yup. Sticky lost its grip jgcj2n2ozrxn.png

Interesting.
  • D_RoddD_Rodd Member
    There will be no punishment. Eej plainly said it would go warning first->temp ban->perm ban.

Do we know a warning was issued? If so, to whom? Due to a complete lack of transparency on the subject, I'm not sure we can even assume this has happened.
  • B
    D_Rodd wrote: »

Do we know a warning was issued? If so, to whom? Due to a complete lack of transparency on the subject, I'm not sure we can even assume this has happened.

But Eej promised more transparency when they took over, they promised !!!
    D_Rodd wrote: »
    don't forget the rest of the statement from Eej, below in bold
    Eej wrote: »
    In terms of escalation of action: warning -> temp ban -> permanent ban in normal situations. In excessive abuse, initial steps may be skipped.

the BIG problem I have is a pretty binary one:
    at this point, it's very much expected that an investigation was conducted, so there can only be one of 2 findings. either there was cheating, or there was not.

both possibilities raises some big questions, we'll look at the easier one first:
    if the investigation found that no cheating occurred, that means the evidence provided by people showing highly unlikely probability occurrence has indeed happened without cheating. In that case, I think the players deserve a statement to that effect : "we looked into it, and even though it is statistically highly unlikely, we have determined that the person in question was indeed THAT lucky, and nothing exploiting the game was used".. at least then the players can make their own decision about the dev's trustworthiness.

now the more troubling scenario:
    investigation found that exploitation of the game happened, and allowed the player to obtain a (literally) unique, as in, singular - reward. not only that, it was in a heads up environment where the practice prohibited other players, who did not cheat, from reaching that unique reward. IF that was the case, that exploitation was found, and the person was allowed to keep playing the game, the ONLY logical conclusion is that the player was only given a warning, which means that BF/DB considers exploiting the game to gain a singularly unique reward over hundred of other players who spend real money, to NOT BE CONSIDERED EXCESSIVE ABUSE?

I think it's a fair assessment at this point to say that DB's threat of punishment is just that, a threat. It does feel like it's all bark, no bite.

However, it may also be possible that the "investigation" (in quotes so you can define it however you'd like) is still on-going. How long it actually takes, I have no clue.