I've been playing for 8 days now at a steady clip - I'm level 17, with Willow, Rogar, Bovus, Shadowblade, Yasmine, Stonefist and Phenol Somethingorother (the Green Jelly that poisons opponents). Willow, Shadow, Yas are all 2-stars, Phenol was my 3-star pull from the heroic portal. I've beaten Kang Kong and am halfway through the next campaign.
I'm a fairly experienced RPG-er, though relatively new to mobile RPGs (play the SuperCell Clash of Clans/Clash Royale regularly). I know you can kill accounts early with mistakes, and I read a lot about "smart leveling", which seems to be grinding without taking EXP if you can help it. The gist that I got was that you're supposed to decline chests at the end of dungeons if they aren't gold or better, but I think they changed the mechanics of the game, because I cannot back out of a dungeon when I receive a chest.
I've developed the following play-style, and would love to hear your advice:
1. I'm Brawler I, so I buy 500,000 gold/day. I then take 100K and do a 10x great summon or whatever it's called, then bank the 400K for upgrades/build up my gold reserves. Currently at 3.1M gold.
3. I do PvP to get my guild points. I do not accept the EXP secondary guild award for killing 15 of a certain enemy.
4. I buy 100 stamina/day for 100 gems. I'd like to stay free to play as long as possible, and the 300 gem heroic summon seems far too steep a price; not sure what else to spend my gems on. I have about 450 stamina banked.
5. I upgrade and equip as many runes as I can; from reading, runes are relatively new, and the campaign was scaled for a pre-rune game. In essence, by equipping my team with runes, I can compete at a higher level in the campaing and PvP. I look out for the runes that have wings (I don't know what else to call them, the ones that can be upgraded past L15 and look like they have some white at the bottom of them) and put those on my best heroes.
6. I run evo island every day.
7. I'm currently doing the light challenge, and doing both the light/dark dungeons when they become available. Emily seems like a very good hero.
Any beginner advice is VERY welcome, as I do not want to invest stamina and EXP into heroes that are ultimately useless, or to waste gold on runes/great summon if those are bad investments. Other tricks/tips/hints are much appreciated. Thank you all!