Question about Progressing as a New Player

Hi forums,

I've been playing for 8 days now at a steady clip - I'm level 17, with Willow, Rogar, Bovus, Shadowblade, Yasmine, Stonefist and Phenol Somethingorother (the Green Jelly that poisons opponents). Willow, Shadow, Yas are all 2-stars, Phenol was my 3-star pull from the heroic portal. I've beaten Kang Kong and am halfway through the next campaign.

I'm a fairly experienced RPG-er, though relatively new to mobile RPGs (play the SuperCell Clash of Clans/Clash Royale regularly). I know you can kill accounts early with mistakes, and I read a lot about "smart leveling", which seems to be grinding without taking EXP if you can help it. The gist that I got was that you're supposed to decline chests at the end of dungeons if they aren't gold or better, but I think they changed the mechanics of the game, because I cannot back out of a dungeon when I receive a chest.

I've developed the following play-style, and would love to hear your advice:

1. I'm Brawler I, so I buy 500,000 gold/day. I then take 100K and do a 10x great summon or whatever it's called, then bank the 400K for upgrades/build up my gold reserves. Currently at 3.1M gold.

2. I only run the dungeons that give me hero tokens that I THINK (emphasis - help me here) I want - Yasmine, Stonefist, Willow, Shadow and Phenol. Rogar seems weak to me, and Bovus you can only get from the portal anyways. I've read that Phenol fades in terms of usefullness over time, but right now, his ability to poison has been the difference between victory and defeat in PvP multiple times.

3. I do PvP to get my guild points. I do not accept the EXP secondary guild award for killing 15 of a certain enemy.

4. I buy 100 stamina/day for 100 gems. I'd like to stay free to play as long as possible, and the 300 gem heroic summon seems far too steep a price; not sure what else to spend my gems on. I have about 450 stamina banked.

5. I upgrade and equip as many runes as I can; from reading, runes are relatively new, and the campaign was scaled for a pre-rune game. In essence, by equipping my team with runes, I can compete at a higher level in the campaing and PvP. I look out for the runes that have wings (I don't know what else to call them, the ones that can be upgraded past L15 and look like they have some white at the bottom of them) and put those on my best heroes.

6. I run evo island every day.

7. I'm currently doing the light challenge, and doing both the light/dark dungeons when they become available. Emily seems like a very good hero.

Any beginner advice is VERY welcome, as I do not want to invest stamina and EXP into heroes that are ultimately useless, or to waste gold on runes/great summon if those are bad investments. Other tricks/tips/hints are much appreciated. Thank you all!

Comments

• Quick question that I forgot to ask; what is the difference between legendary and regular heroes? Are there any other classes? I've played games where "legendary" heroes had base stats far and above that of regular heroes, but I've faced Igorak and Furnace in PvP and beaten both. Is there something inherently special/super powerful about them, or are they just rare? The game doesn't really divide heroes into power tiers; everyone seems to be kind of thrown in the pot, though I could be very wrong.
  • DrocasDrocas Member
    edited March 29
    My advice is just gain xp i am not a fan of slow leveling. Focus on 2 teams undead (yorik, hansuke, brom, zomm) and Goblin (zurk, nub, bram, kozar).

Save your gems (don't waste them on stam right now) for when you the heros you need are in the portals and only buy the 10x don't spend 300 a clip on it. Also don't spend on 10x right away wait for them to feature your hero so you can get guaranteed pulls. I would hold off on crafting runes until you absolutely need it (don't waste gems yet).

Good Luck :)

The EMPIRE :: The Aegis of Athena
    KuK1uXt.png
  • spiffymcbangspiffymcbang Member
    edited March 29
    I, on the other hand, prefer not to take experience. The new experience from daily quests they throw at you and the 30 exp for doing pvp raids is so high and you will level so fast at lower levels, that when you get to level 28 your roster will be so weak you will not be able to complete the tower. In my opinion the tower is the key to getting the resources you need. Completing that daily will give pwn pts, chunk of gold, stamina, and 275 gems.

You will need to the gems to do pulls from the heroic portal as that is really the only way to unlock some heroes right now. events may change that but right now 2700 gems for 10x heroic pulls when a certain hero is featured like Mastuta Kira goes a long way.

Slow leveling has been systematically removed from the game but there are still ways to take your time to make sure your roster power is good enough to do the tower. If you plan to spend $500-$1000 dollars on this game, it is not necessary to go slower. Just charge forward and spend later to make up for roster shortfalls.

Another option is to rush to level 70 as fast as possible. There will be times (level 30-70) that the game will be very hard and you will not as be competitive. This is ok, as your goal is speed. When you finally reach 70 you can work on your roster then. I believe this is the fastest way to a good roster in the long run, but your roster will not be very good at mid levels. That is the price of speed. You get access to epics and better runes sooner (from a calendar perspective) since you get to 60 faster but you will need to beat the boss maps to get them and if your roster is too weak to that...

Also at level 70 the PVP game might not be as much fun until your roster is way better. Lots of complaints about same teams and invincible heroes up there.

I prefer to enjoy the journey and have fun along the way, knowing I will get there eventually.

Spend honor on gold like you do now and do the gold summons, and do the honor summons, you can get lucky and unlock some good heroes that way. Pontifex and black diamond and torchy. Torchy is very good at lower levels with his first ascension. Fast and silence.

Enjoy.
    litespeed
  • Drocas wrote: »
    My advice is just gain xp i am not a fan of slow leveling. Focus on 2 teams undead (yorik, hansuke, brom, zomm) and Goblin (zurk, nub, bram, kozar).

Save your gems (don't waste them on stam right now) for when you the heros you need are in the portals and only buy the 10x don't spend 300 a clip on it. Also don't spend on 10x right away wait for them to feature your hero so you can get guaranteed pulls. I would hold off on crafting runes until you absolutely need it (don't waste gems yet).

So . . . about Portal heroes. How do you sort your heroes to see which ones are campaign pulls vs. Portal only? I guess that's my legendary question as well; all the heroes seem to be on a random list on my Hero screen, and I can't differentiate between common drops/rare/legendary/portal only, etc. Of the 8 heroes you said I can focus on, I have no clue where to look for them/farm them. Any clarification is most welcome!
  • @xandrew29 it seems like you have a pretty good grasp of it. Focus on building certain heroes and collect every token you can get for each everyday. The great portal is actually a decent resource for starring up heroes without taking XP (and you'll likely end up having to do a ton of great portal pulls if you want to star up Bovus). Unfortunately, stars aren't quite as valuable as they once were so there's also something to be said about working to get your main heroes well appointed with decent runes.

Keep up the good work!
    9gJSaHl.gif
  • Drocas wrote: »

Bromm/Zomm look like pay to play only. Is that true?
  • echonapechonap Member
    edited March 29
    xandrew29 wrote: »
    Bromm/Zomm look like pay to play only. Is that true?

Bromm is regularly available in the heroic portal, and you can farm his tokens in campaign mode. Zomm is usually only there during special events, like Halloween. During last Halloween event, it was possible to 6* him from nothing.

The only p2p hero is the one in the VIP portal, and even then, there are ways to unlock him for free. Nothing in this game cannot be earned with time and patience. However, money will definitely help.

Don't use your gems to buy energy. At your level (or any level really), it is a waste. Your goal should be to never let your energy reach max. Save your gems for rune tuning and unlocking heroes from the heroic portal. Don't use the heroic portal for anything besides unlocking. Hero stars are overrated. The same amount of gems that would get you an additional star could be used to craft a few runes that would completely overshadow that star.

zntCIcd.gif
  • SabbroSabbro Member
    edited March 29
    Heya!

from my experience, I have been playing this game since 4 months and have yet to develop undead or goblin team. I miss zomm and have Bramble, but never cared too much. Game is definitely doable even without them, as the PVE aspect of the game is balanced around not having runes. Runes make everything so easy. plus, goblin and undead teams are not used in PVP anyway. in my humble opinion, you shouldnt chase them. if you happen to unlock key heroes, good on you. I have been playing with Grog Gnog as a 1 man army pretty much and have done fine always. fill the other 3 slots with easy and free heroes, like william yasmin and kobal or something. Get a backup team for green dungeons and you are set.

Also, the new beast team is a solid reality, especially for autoruns

My opinion only, just offering a different view
    Post edited by Sabbro on
  • Really appreciate the discussion here. I like this game quite a bit; seems like you have much more options for the META relative to a game like Idle Heroes/Dungeon Rush (I play the latter, same developer, there are basically only 6-10 heroes worth anything out of 200+, and you have to sacrifice specific lesser heroes to get them).

Am I correct that the "descriptive" runes, like Destruction, are better than the "battle"? I think a Destruction rune raises 3 stats, like damage, crit and skill, vs. the battle rune that just raises damage. My general plan is to set my main 6-8 heroes with those first kind (the 3 stat raise), then salvage the "basic" runes. Is that a good idea?
  • xandrew29 wrote: »
    Really appreciate the discussion here. I like this game quite a bit; seems like you have much more options for the META relative to a game like Idle Heroes/Dungeon Rush (I play the latter, same developer, there are basically only 6-10 heroes worth anything out of 200+, and you have to sacrifice specific lesser heroes to get them).

Am I correct that the "descriptive" runes, like Destruction, are better than the "battle"? I think a Destruction rune raises 3 stats, like damage, crit and skill, vs. the battle rune that just raises damage. My general plan is to set my main 6-8 heroes with those first kind (the 3 stat raise), then salvage the "basic" runes. Is that a good idea?

So the amount of stats are based on rarity. Common has 1 stat. Uncommon has 2 stats. Rare has 3 stats. Heroic/Legendary both have a small chance at a special 4th stat. The tier (Lessed/Improved/Greater/Superior) and the Stars (1-5) affect how high the stats on the rune actually are.

In general Battle runes will be better for you than Destruction runes. Currently damage % is a relatively wasted stat compared to attack. Battle runes also often have health on them which is nice in all situations. You should be on the lookout for battle rare runes (These will have 3 stats) that can potentially drop from dungeons. The best quality rune that can drop from an end of dungeon chest (Outside of events) is a 3 Star Rare rune. The tier is based on the actual level you are running (Normal/Heroic/Boss Mode campaign).
  • echonapechonap Member
    My summary for new players trying to figure out runes: look for attack on green and red runes, and defense on blue and yellow runes. Purple runes are available on both. Decide for yourself whether you want to lean toward attack or defense for that particular hero. Obviously, higher numbers are better.

There are many exceptions to the above, but it's enough to get you started.
    zntCIcd.gif
  • xandrew29 wrote: »
    Really appreciate the discussion here. I like this game quite a bit; seems like you have much more options for the META relative to a game like Idle Heroes/Dungeon Rush (I play the latter, same developer, there are basically only 6-10 heroes worth anything out of 200+, and you have to sacrifice specific lesser heroes to get them).

So the amount of stats are based on rarity. Common has 1 stat. Uncommon has 2 stats. Rare has 3 stats. Heroic/Legendary both have a small chance at a special 4th stat. The tier (Lessed/Improved/Greater/Superior) and the Stars (1-5) affect how high the stats on the rune actually are.

In general Battle runes will be better for you than Destruction runes. Currently damage % is a relatively wasted stat compared to attack. Battle runes also often have health on them which is nice in all situations. You should be on the lookout for battle rare runes (These will have 3 stats) that can potentially drop from dungeons. The best quality rune that can drop from an end of dungeon chest (Outside of events) is a 3 Star Rare rune. The tier is based on the actual level you are running (Normal/Heroic/Boss Mode campaign).

Thanks. This game has more modifiers/upgrade tiers than anything I've seen. Ascensions + Hero Stars + Runes, which in of themselves have different levels of rarity, upgradeability and overall strength. 1,000 piece puzzle of a game if I've ever seen, in addition to the those Orbs (Seeker blessing?), Honor, Gems, Gold . . . . .I need a spreadsheet just to track this all . . . oh wait, I forgot about crafting, salvaging. . . . .
  • Oh, we have spreadsheets...so many spreadsheets. ;)
    9gJSaHl.gif
  • Just look at @Foozle's work
    GO SATIATED GORGONS!!! AND ALL OTHER GORGONS!!!