RE: Recent Forum Events - 04/04/17

Joel wrote:
Recently, we've had two incidents involving anti-social behavior around cheating accusations. Initially, our approach was to allow a broader dialogue on the matter - but it devolved into a toxic environment. Subsequently, we chose to have a much stricter policy. This policy has not been popular but we stand by it.

To be clear, in-game punishments and forum punishments are very separate. While we will take appropriate in-game action against players who create an unfair environment, when it comes to the forum, we will take appropriate action against those who create an uncivil and unwelcoming environment.

We had an incident last night where a player posted on a guild recruitment thread taunting them and accusing them of cheating, which is against our forum’s rules. We had warned that player multiple times in the past, but they continued to do so. In reaction, one of our Gurus banned the player and deleted all their posts, along with several other posts from other players. Some with more justification than others.

As per our Guru policies, Gurus are not supposed to ban players without consulting Eej or myself first (with the exception of spambots) and must remain unbiased in their rulings. We recognize the importance of holding our Gurus to a particularly high standard. Even if parts of the banning and other deletions were justified, the way in which they were carried out violated the standards we hold Gurus to and damaged player trust.

In accordance with all our policies, the banned player will remain banned, and the other player will have their Guru privileges revoked. Criticism directed at myself is fine, but attacks against players, regardless of who they are, are not allowed.

I take no joy in writing this post, in seeing someone banned, or a Guru removed. Please, be excellent to each other.

Officer - Level 68 - "The Bastion"
http://bastion-db.boards.net/

Comments

• sirolk99sirolk99 Member
    @Joel - Just going to say thank you for responding to the recent forum issues, both in regards to what happened and how it was handled for everyone.
    Officer - Level 68 - "The Bastion"
    http://bastion-db.boards.net/
  • Zombie8uZombie8u Member
    On a separate note: It's very sad that we have to create new treads to have discussions on dev posts. So much delete/closed repression lately.
  • farfellafarfella Member
    Hmm. I wonder who that player was...
    GO SATIATED GORGONS!!! AND ALL OTHER GORGONS!!!
  • #fighttheman trying to silence everyone that doesn't comply with the rainbows and sunshine forum policy
  • So... a guru abuses his power and permanently bans a forum member. DB moderators respond by taking away guru status.

Shouldn't the ban then be reversed? I mean, it wasn't legitimate to begin with.

If the DB mods then want to reinstate the ban that's their prerogative. But to let it stand as it is is egregious.

Was Joveth the only voice of reason from high on top?
  • MOVE ON....it gonna be bvs72 v2 for sure...
    Learn from mistake.. B)
    “It’s so fluffy, I’m gonna die!”
  • farfellafarfella Member
    Oh that @ObiWanCannoli, always looking on the bright side of things.
    GO SATIATED GORGONS!!! AND ALL OTHER GORGONS!!!