What should my expectations be for the Pwnage Tower as a new player (L29)

I unlocked the tower over the weekend, and promptly found myself struggling to get past the 3rd floor. I had only 10 heroes unlocked, but another 10 I could summon (I read that waiting for a full unlock meant all saved tokens immediately go towards the next star level, thus making it a more efficient way, if very slow, to accumulate stronger heroes).

Read through some thoughts here, and it seemed like the best thing to do was to summon as many heroes as possible, run a cannon-fodder team to soak up the special attacks, then clean with my main team (Bramble, Zurk, Nub Nub and Stonefist - use taunt and goblin abilities = tons of health and long term survivability, usually make it through the clean-up round with 0 damage). I am now on the 9th floor, with my main team the only guys left; they'll probably win through that round, but die on floor 10 (they're facing a L31 3star ascended MK, so .. . umm, yea).

Currently have 23 heroes unlocked - should I expect to complete the tower every day right now? How many heroes should you expect to go through? The upper levels are all L31s, ascended with 3 stars (essentially L37s), while my teams are almost all 2 stars and ascended L29s. I'm using this event to bring Zurk and Nub close to their 3rd stars (just discovered the purpose of those event tickets today, oops, haha).

Since the tower scales with player level, it seems impossible to keep a roster strong enough to even be cannon fodder; I try to get my new heroes up to my player level, just so they have the HP/D to survive that first round (nothing worse than having the very first attack-all special wipe your team out).

I've read in the PvP section that the Tower is crucial for resources, namely stamina and gems, but it seems like you need a ton of resources to be able to compete in the Tower in the first place? What's a new guy to do?

Comments

• echonapechonap Member
    This is the primary reason many people encourage "smart leveling". You need to strengthen your roster without leveling up your account so you can grow stronger relative to the tower. There are many threads on slow/smart leveling that you can search on the forums for how to minimize account experience. Mainly, do not accept quests that reward experience, even if there are gems in the reward. I don't think you can decline chests anymore, but before, you could retreat at the end of a dungeon if it did not have the chest you wanted. I heard that was recently patched.

Tokens and stars are not as important as runes. You should try to make some runes of your own instead of relying on random runes that you get from campaign. A full set of improved runes for one hero shouldn't cost more than a week's worth of tower gems. That will make it much easier for you.

Here are some strategy tips for the tower itself:

1. Learn what each hero's specials are and which ones do not cause damage. Leverage that knowledge to extend the fight for extra turns to recharge your energy. For example, Ekko's first move is a buff. You can safely ignore him the first turn, as long as you kill everyone else and kill him before his second turn.
    2. Take advantage of turn order. For example, if the floor has 4 normal enemies, you can bring 1 fast enemy and 3 normal enemies. Kill them one at a time in the order that they are lined up in, so they never get a chance to hurt you. Your fast kills their first normal, your first normal kills their second normal, your second normal kills their third normal, your third normal kills their last normal.
    3. Take advantage of elements. If the team is 4 nature heroes, bring 4 fire heroes.
    4. Send in sacrifices to eat special attacks. Sometimes, it may require multiple waves and/or multiple heroes per wave. For example, if the floor has BD leading off, and three normal heroes, you can send three waves of 1 hero each to use up her specials. If instead, the floor has BD and MK, you may want to send a wave of 1, 2, 1 to finish using BD's special attacks and MK's first. This requires a larger roster.
  • JackHallow666JackHallow666 Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    Don't be saddened if you can't make the tower the first couple of times. Even with those tips, it takes a lot of practice.
    Level: 70
    Favorite hero: Bovus
    Favorite element: Nature
    Currently: Trying to max out Epics
  • Yea, my biggest issue is being left without any more sacrifices, then my Zurk gets 1-shotted by a Willow/Shadow, greatly reducing the effectiveness of my top team. Or just running into Koros (who kills my goblins. . . .sad :().

I guess I'm trying to gauge the roster goals. I went all in to try to beat the Tower on Sunday; leveled up my entire roster to L28 and put runes on everyone I could. It cost a crap ton of gold (about 4.5 million), and I still didn't make it past Tower Level 8.

I picked up Abigal the Brutal today from a 10 Great Summon, but decided not to waste any more EXP potions on her, just level her throuhg the campaign.

I guess what I'm wondering is if it's ok to leave most of my roster around the 25-30 level as "cannon fodder", and to focus on my 2 main teams (right now they're Stonefist, and the 3 goblins on one squad, with Phenol, Yasmin, Shadow and either Bovus or Tsume on my 2nd) in terms of token farming/leveling. I've heard the undead team is super strong, but with a couple of guys only available via the 2700 heroic portal, I'll probably be waiting months and months before I have a chance with a decent undead team.
  • I am fairly new to the game, started around 2 weeks ago, and I am now level 38
    today I reached level 10 of the tower for the first time, and I messed up a few steps in the process .. I depend on all my heroes all at once and I don't do smart .. not yet since I can't level up the abilities of my heroes ..

so I mostly send in a wave to take the special attacks, and then go with my main force, which is not even specialized (pontis ascended, koros ascended, and any other support) .. some levels gets wiped without the need to get these two in .. so, I guess If I started thinking differently and played it smarter, I can get to the top floor ?
  • Zodiac4EVAZodiac4EVA Member
    edited April 12
    I perfected the tower at level 28

7ijf0ho4dq9a.png
    Post edited by Zodiac4EVA on
    Zodiac4EVA

• a7mad3ezz wrote: »
    I am fairly new to the game, started around 2 weeks ago, and I am now level 38
    today I reached level 10 of the tower for the first time, and I messed up a few steps in the process .. I depend on all my heroes all at once and I don't do smart .. not yet since I can't level up the abilities of my heroes ..

so I mostly send in a wave to take the special attacks, and then go with my main force, which is not even specialized (pontis ascended, koros ascended, and any other support) .. some levels gets wiped without the need to get these two in .. so, I guess If I started thinking differently and played it smarter, I can get to the top floor ?

My very limited experience tells me that a main team with a decent healer is the best way to progress. My goblin team had a near dead Zurk after Floor 2, but I used some lower level heroes to soak the next floor's specials, and then Nub Nub was able to heal the group with a combo of Voodoo and his critical; I'm now on Floor 7 with a fully healthy main team.

I have 24 heroes currently, though. I leveled up to 30, and now have 8 L30 heroes, 2 L22 heroes and everyone else L29. I'm pretty sure I'll keep my main 7 at L30 (3 gobs, Stonefist, Yasmine, Shadow, Phenol) and I'm strongly considering Emily for my 8th (I think she'd go well with the Goblins, since she can ressurrect one, and you really need all 3 to make the most of that team - right now I use Stonefist). I've heard Kozar is sick with the Goblins, but he takes forever to unlock, so I'm cooling on him.

My biggest issue is figuring out the # of heroes required to soak all of the opponent's specials up. I've tried 1 hero at a time, but several of my tanks are weak against the main element, like Phemus vs. Koros - Phemus is a tank, but Koros is going to come close to 1-shotting him, especially with MK in that line-up. If I take a high evasion hero, that coudl work, except they have low HP and they'd die; I basically start trotting out 1 hero/time to their death and that's not efficient.

On the other hand, you need 52 heroes to sacrifice 1 team/level for the damage soak, followed by your main team. That seems impossible any time soon, because most of the heroes i have yet to unlock require either honor summon or the heroic summon. I basically have 0 chance of completing the tower; as soon as my damage soak heroes are gone, my mian team will die within 2 floors. I can't stop leveling because of the stupid EXP changes, so the tower just gets harder, which means my damage soak heroes get relatively weaker, because I can't afford to have a full roster of L30 heroes right now, let alone L40 in a week or so.

It's just beyond frustrating. I need to beat floor 10 today, and I'm only on 6 with 10 heroes left (my 2 main teams and 2 throwaways). I need the gems to build towards the heroic summons. I do not want to spend $$ on this game either. Grrr.
  • I believe money is a must in this game, truth is, most of the games out there are meant to be profitable projects .. this one is no exception .. at one point you'll have to pay to be able to compete ..

that aside, I haven't paid anything so far (yet) lol .. and I couldn't go past floor 5 when I was level 30 .. thats a great achievement you have there going with you if you need an opinion on it ..
  • a7mad3ezz wrote: »
    I believe money is a must in this game, truth is, most of the games out there are meant to be profitable projects .. this one is no exception .. at one point you'll have to pay to be able to compete ..

that aside, I haven't paid anything so far (yet) lol .. and I couldn't go past floor 5 when I was level 30 .. thats a great achievement you have there going with you if you need an opinion on it ..

Thanks; in reading hte guides from 2015 or so, it made it seem like you should be able to complete the tower every single day; felt like I was failing by not even being able to complete it once. Now as I look at the game "complete the tower" means finishing your attempt, so maybe that's what he was referring to (i.e., get whatever rewards you can each day, not run all 12 floors necessarily).

The difficulty in this game just took a huge spike. I unlocked the 2nd EXP and Gold islands and they're insanely tough for a L30 team; I had to use 1 heal, 2 revive potions and TWO friend summons to beat the 2nd EXP island. I haven't even touched the 2nd gold island. Yikes!!
  • Good luck! I was rushing up to level 28 to be able to do the tower, and quickly kept going to about level 30 with difficulties getting through floor 6. I slowed down at that point and continued gaining both heros and levels. I started consistently beeting all floors somewhere between levels 35 and 37. Don't expect to win all of the time at the beginning. It will get better. Just keep on collecting heros, leveling them up, and getting a main team or two with good runes.
  • With the latest additions to how fast you can get PLAYER exp, we will probably see more of these threads.

My opinion is slow down.
    there are others out there that disagree, but I think you should try to get roster that can beat all 12 floors of the tower daily. Of course the development team want you to struggle and spend real money. That is fine and feel free to spend what you want to support the game. I also recommend that you view any expenditures as paying for entertainment and not as an investment. If your mindset is the latter you will get angry and frustrated when they make changes you don't agree with.

So, slow down.
    1. only finish maps that let you unlock more of the campaign and only finish maps that give you tokens for heroes you are trying to star up, or if you get a lupina token or celestrial evo drop in a map, finish that map.
    2. spend your honor scrolls on gold in the honor shop.
    3. use gold on honor summons to get tokens for heroes (this will not cause you to gain PLAYER exp)
    4. do not "claim" the daily quest rewards even if they pay out gems. you can complete the quests for any guild crowns and complete 10 dailies without claiming them and then claim the "complete 10 dailies" quest. This gives 25 gems and 5 tokens now which is nice. used to only be 1 token.
    5. Once you are more comfortable with your roster and have it leveled and stared up and can do the tower then progress more normally. This game is structured to incentivize you to spend money. You are much more useful to them if you spend money.
    6. Runes. This is game about runes now. not heroes with stars. a 3 stared heroes with good runes is way better than a 5-6 stared hero with junk/bad/no runes. This should be focused on.
    7. Learn the best heroes and focus on those. Koros, MK, Shade, ect... example save gems for when Koros is featured in the heroic portal.

Other option.
    Rush as fast as you can to 70 farming tokens from the maps, grabbing all the exp you can from maps and daily quests. Ignore your poor performance in the tower and in PVP. This is temporary. Focus on a core group of 8-10 heroes that most here think are best. get them stared and ascended and runed up and use them as your work horses to get the rest of your roster up. Your goals here are to get to the top as fast as possible to gain access to the best rewards and features of the game. Once you get up there, you can use epics and not worry about exp as you are level capped. can't go higher. Just farm your **** off on the maps that give tokens for the heroes you need, use resources to buy stamina to allow you to farm more per day, and use quick loot keys to speed things up. Never let your stamina max out.

Lastly find a guild that does not care about your level but is focused on getting as close to max crowns per week as possible. Crowns are so easy now.
    1. attempt 3 pvp quests
    2. use a friend
    3. use a portal - 10k in the gold summons portal? easy.
    Together with 49 others you can get some good rewards every week.

Hope some of this helps. I recommend picking a direction and going all in either way. No middle ground. Either option lets you spend money to help out where RNG has completely failed you.

litespeed
  • #plug the link in my profile description
    ouldpa73a39.png

6* Hero Count: Squinch, Willow Swift, Black Diamond, Ignus the Mad, Chief NubNub, Therand Fiddlestrom, Pontifex Mortis, Dagrund Blacksmoke, Tsume, Mangle Jaw, King Yorick, Samurai Takumi
    Check out my Kill Quest chart here!
    See my guide to the Tower of Pwnage here!
  • DungeonPro wrote: »
    #plug the link in my profile description

I think you are my new e-best friend, haha. That's awesome; really appreciate it.

Realizing now, 5 Towers in, how the random heroes can really hurt you. I have a relatively easy tower today . . . . up until L8 and 9, which both have L32/33 Koros. I'm L30 and my main team are the 3 goblins; no way are they going to be able to survive either Koros. Problem is, I doubt I"ll have a bait hero/team alive at that point. Yikes!

Also, any suggestions on the 4th hero with the Goblins? I've been using Stonefist for his taunt (in case Zurk is low on HP, gives the roster time to utilize Nub NUb's crazy-good healing over time), but I'm woundering if Emily is the better option (Since the gobs work better with all 3, she gives you more flexibility of Zurk/Bramble gets 1-shotted. She's obviously more squishy than Stonefist, and I mostly have Lesser Runes (with like 4 total Improved from this event that are worth anything).

Other options from my roster: Phenol, Rocky (Since he has haste, though Zurk makes this somewhat redundant), Sir William (great taunter), Overlord Executum (just going all-in on offense), Bovus ( only 1 star though), Shadow/Willow (1st strikers), Ekko or Julius. I like Nitpick/Manglejaw for the mid-towers to get 1 massive hit in, same with Selwyn. My throwaway heroes are Jabber and Abigal. Yasmine seems dumb on a team with Nub Nub; I prefer her on my 1B team, along with Phenol, Shadow and someone else (seems to change).

I ran Emily, Selwyn, Nitpick and Manglejaw once in waht I thought was a throwaway team; they ended up killing the opponent in 1 round of special attacks. No HP/surviveability though; 1 Igorok wrecked them the next round, lol.

I can't believe how INVOLVED this game is. There are like 7 different currencies/shops to track, a whole set of daily island events that you basically have to do, to say nothing of farming for tokens.
  • echonapechonap Member
    xandrew29 wrote: »
    Other options from my roster: Phenol, Rocky (Since he has haste, though Zurk makes this somewhat redundant), Sir William (great taunter), Overlord Executum (just going all-in on offense), Bovus ( only 1 star though), Shadow/Willow (1st strikers), Ekko or Julius. I like Nitpick/Manglejaw for the mid-towers to get 1 massive hit in, same with Selwyn. My throwaway heroes are Jabber and Abigal. Yasmine seems dumb on a team with Nub Nub; I prefer her on my 1B team, along with Phenol, Shadow and someone else (seems to change).

Sir William and OE are good options if you want to keep your gobs alive until Nub can heal. They are normal speed, so probably better than SF in that respect. BTW, OE is not meant to be "all-in offense". Rune him up defensively and you will see.
  • RocksorRocksor Member
    edited April 12
    I agree with spiffymcbang about slow levelling as being a good strategy. I took my time to get to level 28, roughly 10 weeks. I had no issues completing Tower for the first time at level 28. I didn't lose a single team member or have to swap out anyone. The key was getting my chars to full ascension with improved runes by the time I hit the tower. I have only made 1 rune and that ended up being a legendary lesser rune, and spent only $5 for the daily 50 gems.
  • Perfected the tower at level 28 and have finished it everyday since I unlocked it.

z7b0bqphdgmv.png
    Zodiac4EVA

• Rocksor wrote: »
    I agree with spiffymcbang about slow levelling as being a good strategy. I took my time to get to level 28, roughly 10 weeks. I had no issues completing Tower for the first time at level 28. I didn't lose a single team member or have to swap out anyone. The key was getting my chars to full ascension with improved runes by the time I hit the tower. I have only made 1 rune and that ended up being a legendary lesser rune, and spent only $5 for the daily 50 gems.

How long ago was that? You can't avoid the 5 EXP for dungeons anymore; you either don't farm tokens, or you go up in levels. I don't accept ANY quests that give EXP, and still don't have a 3-star hero outside of the ones I've unlocked that come with 3 stars (Phenol and King Bramble). I'm L30 and about 50 EXP away from L31. I've played for about 3 weeks now; can't avoid the EXP at all, especially with events giving runes (which, for me, IMproved runes are awesome).
  • Zodiac4EVA wrote: »
    Perfected the tower at level 28 and have finished it everyday since I unlocked it.

z7b0bqphdgmv.png

There's no way for you to have 4 star heroes at L28 without paying money right now. I've only played for 3 weeks+, but cannot avoid getting EXP. If I'm missing a trick, please let me know; I leveraged my event points into 50 King Brambles, 50 Zurks and 50 Nub Nubs, which I consider a good Token For EXP exchange for the 300ish EXP I've taken on in running all the events.
  • Also, how the heck are levels scaled in the tower?? I'm L30, but faced L33 Koros/MK on Tower 9. I barely made it trhough, only to face a L34 Koros on the next tier. .. . .I had 0 chance. Are Tower enemies runed up too??
  • xandrew29 wrote: »
    Zodiac4EVA wrote: »
    Perfected the tower at level 28 and have finished it everyday since I unlocked it.

z7b0bqphdgmv.png

There's no way for you to have 4 star heroes at L28 without paying money right now. I've only played for 3 weeks+, but cannot avoid getting EXP. If I'm missing a trick, please let me know; I leveraged my event points into 50 King Brambles, 50 Zurks and 50 Nub Nubs, which I consider a good Token For EXP exchange for the 300ish EXP I've taken on in running all the events.

As you can see I am a VIP 0 and I'm level 38 now it's all about runes smart levelling and taking advantage of events I have 6 star heroes and lots of 5 star now

w8a9qr32f5ml.png
    aukh2pqxqs95.png

Zodiac4EVA

• xandrew29 wrote: »
    Rocksor wrote: »

How long ago was that? You can't avoid the 5 EXP for dungeons anymore; you either don't farm tokens, or you go up in levels. I don't accept ANY quests that give EXP, and still don't have a 3-star hero outside of the ones I've unlocked that come with 3 stars (Phenol and King Bramble). I'm L30 and about 50 EXP away from L31. I've played for about 3 weeks now; can't avoid the EXP at all, especially with events giving runes (which, for me, IMproved runes are awesome).

Well, I don't farm tokens like you do. I only kill the boss at the end of the map when I have hit a celestial evo or lupina has dropped from a secret room. Then you get a two-for at the end of the map. Hahah, its not called slow leveling for nothing. Also as mentioned above if you spend honor for gold and use the gold summons (great summons) you can pull tokens for those heroes without needing to accept player experience.
    I rely on events for many tokens. I feel your frustration, but DB has built this game and changed it to be as it is to encourage you to spend money to get out of the position you find yourself.

I suspect you used to accept player experience for quests since you leveled to 31 in 2 weeks. now you find yourself behind.

Just today I had to kick 4 more inactives from a casual guild. Every week I kick 8-12 players in the 20-35 level range who quit as they find themselves in your situation. It is just a horrible way to build and maintain a large player base, force people to get behind a power curve and toss "deals" at them. Hahah.

Keep at it and don't give up. You will eventually get to a competitive level. Or since you are already behind, maybe go all out and rush to 70? focus on stamina and not the tower.

litespeed
  • RocksorRocksor Member
    edited April 13

I completed the Tower on my first run on the last week of March 2017. I didn't farm any tokens after hitting level 8 because I already ascended Yasmin and Stonefist to the second level, and I was able to get William. I knew that I needed taunt for PVP, and a passive heal for campaign.

I rely on honor points, events or summons for tokens. I never complete dungeons unless I get a celestial, lupina or rare rune drop in place of chests of golds/hammers. I do complete dungeons is if it is for the first time so that I can get a 3 star. Most of my exp (~90%), prior to the tower, was from PVP because I wanted those honor tokens.

I got Julius to 4 star because of quests that gave me 100 Julius tokens. I did this when I was level 24 or level 25. With this past event, I just got Dagrund Blacksmoke to 4 star from 2 star by including him in my PVP battles and using the event tickets to get 50 tokens. So just like spiffymcbang, I rely on events to increase the stars on my heros. Now that I can earn 275 gems from the Tower, I wait for the 2700 summon. However, now that I do the Tower everyday for the past 2 weeks, completed 3 sections of Challenge mode, I have levelled from 28 to 32 very quickly. It also doesn't help that I can get into a much higher bracket with the revamped PVP that started last week, which increases my exp to easily ~100 in a couple of days.

I have to slow down again...

You could always start all over with what you know now. I did it when I realized the penalty for hitting level 25 in 2 weeks, and I haven't regretted it since.

• Rocksor wrote: »

I completed the Tower on my first run on the last week of March 2017. I didn't farm any tokens after hitting level 8 because I already ascended Yasmin and Stonefist to the second level, and I was able to get William. I knew that I needed taunt for PVP, and a passive heal for campaign.

I rely on honor points, events or summons for tokens. I never complete dungeons unless I get a celestial, lupina or rare rune drop in place of chests of golds/hammers. I do complete dungeons is if it is for the first time so that I can get a 3 star. Most of my exp (~90%), prior to the tower, was from PVP because I wanted those honor tokens.

I got Julius to 4 star because of quests that gave me 100 Julius tokens. I did this when I was level 24 or level 25. With this past event, I just got Dagrund Blacksmoke to 4 star from 2 star by including him in my PVP battles and using the event tickets to get 50 tokens. So just like spiffymcbang, I rely on events to increase the stars on my heros. Now that I can earn 275 gems from the Tower, I wait for the 2700 summon. However, now that I do the Tower everyday for the past 2 weeks, completed 3 sections of Challenge mode, I have levelled from 28 to 32 very quickly. It also doesn't help that I can get into a much higher bracket with the revamped PVP that started last week, which increases my exp to easily ~100 in a couple of days.

I have to slow down again...

You could always start all over with what you know now. I did it when I realized the penalty for hitting level 25 in 2 weeks, and I haven't regretted it since.

@Zodiac4EVA - I apologize if I came off upset at you; my frustration is at the game, not the players. I'm a fairly experienced RPG player, but I find myself making noob mistakes even after reading the forums. If I understand it correctly, the best smart-leveling strategy is to ONLY run PvP enough to keep over 1,000 honor/day for the Gold, and to do the Tower for Gems/Stamina. Wait for 2x Token events or like this past event (where I pulled 150 tokens for my goblins, which I consider a pretty good return on investment) to re-run campaing levels. Build Gems for a 2700 gem summon for a hero you want (for me, that would enable me to get Bramble to 4* or unlock Koros, who I really really really want).

Would it be ok to run evo-island every day? Do you just see if you pull a celestial, then quit? I assume GOld/EXP island isn't worth the 5 Player EXP.

I've banked stamina - I had over 500, but burned through a bunch because I had several heroes I could get up a star (Yasmine and Zurk are now 3*, William and Selwyn 2*, all in the last 12 hrs). Pulled a Purple Chest for Nub Nub, so 6 tokens for 5 exp seems great.

I also do the 100K gold 10x chest every day - figure I get 500K from PvP, so sink 100K into the portal and bank 400K/day. Between that, the Tower and the regular PvP awards, I'm banking abou 550K-600K/day.

I have 0 issues grinding/strategically leveling, but it looks like I thought the "best" route was running token farming runs every day for a few # of heroes. now it seems like @Rocksor is advising to not even do that, but just roll with the Portal. Last season, when I couldn't get any more Honor gold, I used my last 1500 honor points for the honor summon - I don't think the gold conversion is that great, and it's EXP-free tokens.

Final question - do you get Player EXP from the Tower/PvP??
  • I do not run evo island, i rarely every got the celestials so I gave up. to much exp for nothing.
    I do not run gold island
    you get 12 exp from the tower (1 per floor)

Early on I would use most of my gold for gold summons. Until I started maxing heroes. Then I stopped that and only do it selectively now.

Yes if you take 5xp for each map only gaining one token, you will level fairly fast and still be behind the power curve, relative to tokens/stars.

HOWEVER, this game has changed substantially and stars matter much less than they did before runes. Runes are so over powered that a well runed hero at 3 stars is all you need and can easily compete with 5-6 starred heroes. You need to focus on runes and that is very hard as you can not craft without binders and shard which difficult to get without taking exp from maps.

Runes Runes Runes.
    litespeed
  • I do not run evo island, i rarely every got the celestials so I gave up. to much exp for nothing.
    I do not run gold island
    you get 12 exp from the tower (1 per floor)

Early on I would use most of my gold for gold summons. Until I started maxing heroes. Then I stopped that and only do it selectively now.

Yes if you take 5xp for each map only gaining one token, you will level fairly fast and still be behind the power curve, relative to tokens/stars.

HOWEVER, this game has changed substantially and stars matter much less than they did before runes. Runes are so over powered that a well runed hero at 3 stars is all you need and can easily compete with 5-6 starred heroes. You need to focus on runes and that is very hard as you can not craft without binders and shard which difficult to get without taking exp from maps.

Runes Runes Runes.

@spiffymcbang - that's the question, I can't seem to make anything other than good "lesser" runes (I haven't beaten the Lich because I was trying to avoid the campaing for the EXP), but I see L33 opponents that have Greater Runes on their heroes?? How is that possible? Is there a rune-guide for rune farming/crafting?

• echonapechonap Member
    I wish I could donate some runes and binders to you slow levelers. Or better yet, donate the trash greater runes directly and you can salvage them for me. Do us both a favor and save me the headache of manually clicking each one whenever I get the "rune bag is full" message.
  • Slow leveling for a new player is impossible, and I am a fairly new player .. this is my first and only account on this game .. and slow leveling may seem smart and all, but whats the final gain ? superiority over a low level challenge .. not my thing ..

I go with the fast-well balanced pace better, thinking my stuff thorough, may take my time to re-think strategies to do better in pvp and tower .. but after all, I pick team quick :smiley:

conquering the tower is not that difficult if you are not a new player, you already know what to do, re-doing it to make perfect it pretty much boring to the point of hating the game for it .. accepting the challenge and progressing forward makes it more fun .. that is just me though, one opinion out there that might be an odd one too ..

so, if you think it my way, you won't need to re-do and go slow .. just keep going with some more wisdom, always take a moment to realize things, don't rush in blindly .. or else you will never get to the end of it ..
  • RocksorRocksor Member
    edited April 13
    @spiffymcbang - that's the question, I can't seem to make anything other than good "lesser" runes (I haven't beaten the Lich because I was trying to avoid the campaing for the EXP), but I see L33 opponents that have Greater Runes on their heroes?? How is that possible? Is there a rune-guide for rune farming/crafting?

I know that the revamp to PVP a week ago has allowed folks to get at least 1 greater rune as a reward. I would surmise that those L33 put real money into acquiring components, gems, stamina, and gold in order to have more than more than 1 character have more than 1 greater rune.
    a7mad3ezz wrote: »
    Slow leveling for a new player is impossible, and I am a fairly new player .. this is my first and only account on this game .. and slow leveling may seem smart and all, but whats the final gain ? superiority over a low level challenge .. not my thing ..

Here's the thing for slow levelling players, there is never an end to a game like DB until you are bored. Come up with what you want to accomplish, and don't pay attention to where everyone else is.

It's not impossible for new players to level slowly. I just started 10 weeks ago, which is still new. I can do challenge mode and deal with PVE campaign levels meant for 8 level above me with the runes that I acquired through campaigns and events. It's still challenging. The Tower still requires some strategy.

• Just wanted to say thank you to everyone in this thread - I completed the full tower yesterday for the first time (and now have King Yorick, huzzah!). You have to be pretty smart about it and have some luck - I had a near-dead Zurk on Floor 3, but the opponents went twice for my King Bramble. A Voodoo Chant and Crit for Nub Nub later, and I exited the floor with full health. . . . pheww.

Also . . . .what the heck is that Chromus guy? After 11 floors of tough battles, that guy was a breeze. I don't think he did more than 500 damage in any shot, and I only had 3 heroes left. Total pushover (thankfully).

I've learned that, for me, the most dangerous Tower heroes are Koros (#1, since my main team are 3 Green Goblins + william), MK, BD and Nitpick (again, because not only are my main heroes green, but a disproportionate # of my roster is green).

It's all about planning (at least for me), since I don't have a ton of elite runes. I'm taking @Rocksor and @Zodiac4EVA 's advice on leveling. Only using the gold from PvP to do the 10 Great Summons and wait for events, except for today, where I only needed 3 Nub tokens to get him to 3* status (yay). Ther was a daily quest for doing a quick loot, so killed 2 birds with one stone there (I didn't take the quest reward, but 10 daily quests gets me Leo Tokens nad Guild Crowns).

I have to say, this forum is really great. Everyone has been very polite and helpful; I don't know that I've seen a gaming forum without flaming/trolling. Really glad I found this game and community. Boss on!
  • Congratulations on finishing it @xandrew29 . That is awesome. Now do it 400 more times. Hahahah.
    Just keep going.
    Oh and if you find yourself in a time crunch or unmotivated to tackle on a particular day, review the top floor chest. If it has a celestial evo, keep the tower for the next day or next time you run it. If it does not have a celestial evo, "claim" the tower that day (for zero rewards) and wait for the next day for a fresh tower. Might have a celestial evo.
    litespeed
  • Congratulations on finishing it @xandrew29 . That is awesome. Now do it 400 more times. Hahahah.
    Just keep going.
    Oh and if you find yourself in a time crunch or unmotivated to tackle on a particular day, review the top floor chest. If it has a celestial evo, keep the tower for the next day or next time you run it. If it does not have a celestial evo, "claim" the tower that day (for zero rewards) and wait for the next day for a fresh tower. Might have a celestial evo.

Oh man, I just ran into one of those "the game hates you" towers. There are 5 MKs in my tower, as well as 3 Kozars (my roster is disproportionately nature). My 3rd floor has MK, Sifu, and Kozar; I tried a tank, MK 1-shot it. Tried another, MK then Sifu 1-shotted it. Thought I'd use Willow and Shadow with Bramble/Nub, using the fast heroes to kill Kozar . . . . .nope, they got him down to a sliver, then purgin pyre combined with Ponti (yea, the 4th hero was Ponti .. . . grrr) left me with my 2 goblins and no fast heroes for the rest of the tower.

Just beat Floor 6, but am in bad bad shape. There's a set of Nit pick, mangle jaw and then there's a full ascended torchy at Floor 10. Just yuck.