What are Dwarves/ Dwarf Origin?

You know, Dwarves. Rogar, Valkin, Dagrund, etc. But what exactly are Dwarves in the fantasy genre, and what makes them different from humans? Are they just...uh...tiny people? Or are they something more? If anyone is a fantasy genius let me know!
Current Level: 70
Proud Member of the Potato Family
"We should have more tags."
Favorite Hero: Bauble

Comments

• sirtainlysirtainly Member
    edited April 10
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarf_(mythology)

(especially the first link on the page, Dwarf as a being from Germanic Mythology)

(Most of the variations I've seen in fantasy games seem to be similar to this.)
  • Dwarves are also in Norse mythology. I feel like that's heavily influenced the modern fantasy genre. Tolkien also helped make dwarves and elves a staple in the fantasy genre.
  • JackHallow666JackHallow666 Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    My theory has always been, that because you never see female dwarves (I'm not counting WoW's female dwarves because they're creepy as hell), that Dwarves, like the potatoes they grow in their cave-homes for food, grow out of the ground. They are similar to naturally growing fruits and vegetables in that they are small and taste bad. They also make very good use of the metals in the earth as well. Are dwarves plants? No. Are they people??... er, also no? I think they're more like Mushrooms, probably explains the Smurfs too. They're some form of rare, ultra-small dwarves as well I think.
    Level: 70
    Favorite hero: Bovus
    Favorite element: Nature
    Currently: Trying to max out Epics
    ...However, according to Tolkein himself, who practically invented the modern-era dwarf, there are female dwarves, however the only thing different about them and male dwarves is... their gender, really. They still have beards, are small and angry, and look pretty much exactly the same.

Now I'm wondering how dwarves know who to hit on in bars, or if they're all just bisexual.
  • , like the potatoes they grow in their cave-homes for food, grow out of the ground.

That's why female dwarves in World of Warcraft look like potatoes!
    Life cycle of a dwarf:

- Spud
    - Dwarfling (tiny root-looking thing)
    - Dwarf Plant (stem with tiny dwarf body on it)
    - Dwarf child (the baby dwarf separates from the stem)
    - Dwarf adolescent
    - Dwarf adult
    - Dwarf adult grows old, and degrades into several spuds upon his death, continuing the cycle anew.
  • StyxusStyxus Member
    They are similar to naturally growing fruits and vegetables in that they are small and taste bad.
    Naturally growing fruits and vegetables are natural, they are normally sized and taste what they should taste. Fruits that are from industrial "farming" are oversized and bland.
    That is also what Dwarves are, kind of human, but in a more natural way, less talkative, closer from earth. If humans are gems then the dwarves are the rough ones. It does not mean they are less intelligent, but they are indeed more limited, they are less able to get over their pride for diplomacy, they hold grudges for centuries, they rarely accept the company of different races (and even dwarves from a different area). All they do is hide, dig, fight, build.
    In Tolkien's world the Dwarves are scarcely mentionned, the ones that are described are special, they tend to extract themselves from their kind, they become more open to the world and often it leads them to their death.

• My theory has always been, that because you never see female dwarves (I'm not counting WoW's female dwarves because they're creepy as hell), that Dwarves, like the potatoes they grow in their cave-homes for food, grow out of the ground. They are similar to naturally growing fruits and vegetables in that they are small and taste bad. They also make very good use of the metals in the earth as well. Are dwarves plants? No. Are they people??... er, also no? I think they're more like Mushrooms, probably explains the Smurfs too. They're some form of rare, ultra-small dwarves as well I think.

Brb gonna buy some Dwarf seeds to plant in my garden.
    Current Level: 70
    Proud Member of the Potato Family
    "We should have more tags."
    Favorite Hero: Bauble
  • danacdanac Member
    My theory has always been, that because you never see female dwarves (I'm not counting WoW's female dwarves because they're creepy as hell), that Dwarves, like the potatoes they grow in their cave-homes for food, grow out of the ground. They are similar to naturally growing fruits and vegetables in that they are small and taste bad. They also make very good use of the metals in the earth as well. Are dwarves plants? No. Are they people??... er, also no? I think they're more like Mushrooms, probably explains the Smurfs too. They're some form of rare, ultra-small dwarves as well I think.

Make sure you buy the right kind.
    You don't want to accidentally grow gnomes.

Lotsa people make that mistake.
  • bvs72bvs72 Member
    I always liked dwarfs since watching Fantasy Island.

e087edotn8q3.jpg
    danac wrote: »

Make sure you buy the right kind.
    You don't want to accidentally grow gnomes.

Lotsa people make that mistake.

Gnomes are unsanitary and untrustworthy. More so than dwarves.