Season and Tournament Reward Changes (Plus, the First Season is Coming!)

Comments

• I'm with everyone who lost their rewards in the mailbox. This is possibly one of the worst things to happen to us without notice. Fine, you changed guild rewards, but you just stole all of our stuff from our mailbox without WARNING! Terrible
  • @MattCauthron That sounds cool, thanks. I'd enjoy seeing it :)
  • @MattCauthron sorry yes I meant the summit summary, just the action items is all I am concerned about honestly, they have done this twice then they just seemed to have given up on it. I currently read through the log myself weekly which I'm more than happy to do, but it comes down to what eel has committed to do and what is actually done. And this seems to be a common thread with how DB handles their community. Over commit and under deliver. I have no faith that they can manage to handle what they have promised to the capacity they propose.
  • MattCauthronMattCauthron Member
    edited April 12
    Wolfreich wrote: »
    @MattCauthron sorry yes I meant the summit summary, just the action items is all I am concerned about honestly, they have done this twice then they just seemed to have given up on it. I currently read through the log myself weekly which I'm more than happy to do, but it comes down to what eel has committed to do and what is actually done. And this seems to be a common thread with how DB handles their community. Over commit and under deliver. I have no faith that they can manage to handle what they have promised to the capacity they propose.

Haha well I certainly can't disagree with you on the over commit part in regard to weekly summaries. That being said Eej is already doing MUCH more than any developer I've seen from a game before.

Oddly enough I specifically quoted "Under Promise, Over Deliver" in one of the summits when we were discussing how to improve their communication. It's a learning process, and I seriously doubt any of Eej's old work went away, so everything he's taken on is just additional work. You want to be able to tackle everything, but the reality is you only have so many hours in a day.
  • True but there has been no, "**** I got in over my head here, I'll need to step down on my commitment on what I can reasonably deliver". So the original expectation from him that there will be less but better communication stands. And I don't think that is what we are experiencing. A lot of the decisions made seem to be very knee jerky, and that is never good. Which is why I posted a rather lengthy post in the feedback section on things to consider with SKL changes, it could and will have many unintended consequences if not handles properly. None of my concerns have been mentioned in the summit or from any of the other communications I have seen regarding SKL since this touches on runes (and some colors not even having focus runes) also. This seems like I think my opinion is more important but honestly I don't want another blowout like we had with the portal changes, aether shop, pvp changes, guild payout changes.
  • Taterfarce wrote: »
    I'm with everyone who lost their rewards in the mailbox. This is possibly one of the worst things to happen to us without notice. Fine, you changed guild rewards, but you just stole all of our stuff from our mailbox without WARNING! Terrible

To fix it seems pretty Simple. Just turn rewards back to what they were. Give us all a few days to collect and change to back again. Doesn't seem that hard. This lets the players that wanted the gems to get them back and those who are happy about the reverting to old system to keep the emails in the inbox. @joel a little heads up would have been appreciated.
    edited April 12
    nunya wrote: »

Thank you! Now I can quote Eej

" My proposal (still in discusison) is provide a higher bonus to stats with stars 5 & 6 that comes online with the combat changes - under this proposal it would have two impacts - they would mean something as general progressio[n] of the hero (in correlation with Runes/Epics) AND they would impact any sort of diminishing benefits of bonuses (e.g. higher base Stats adjust diminishing benefits applied afterwards - a bigger headroom)
    "
  • WolfreichWolfreich Member
    edited April 12
    So yeah, check the third comment by Eej "20:02 EEJ.DB 1. It's an additional and more detailed venue for us to communicate with players about updates, releases, and upcoming changes" emphasis mine. So was any of these changes made in game i.e. The primary communication venue? I might have missed it but I didn't see an in game mail or event banner. So yeah BS. This was in relation to what the forum is.
    (Edited to add the last comment for clarity)
  • Wolfreich wrote: »
    So yeah, check the third comment by Eej "20:02 EEJ.DB 1. It's an additional and more detailed venue for us to communicate with players about updates, releases, and upcoming changes" emphasis mine. So was any of these changes made in game i.e. The primary communication venue? I might have missed it but I didn't see an in game mail or event banner. So yeah BS. This was in relation to what the forum is.
    (Edited to add the last comment for clarity)

To be fair you failed to bold the "more detailed venue" which is pretty important. You are also misconstruing the meaning of additional here. He doesn't mean additional as in the same information is distributed in both game and the forums. Additional means this is an alternative avenue where more detailed information can be given to the player base.

Of course people quickly raised the point that the majority of players do not read the forum.
  • @MattCauthron as for making stars matter more there is an easy but horrible way to do so make all runes grant a percentage bonus so ATK gives a bonus to existing attack, this will stop the runaway stats, but already created runes and the investments made by players will piss many people off. So I think they are in a very sticky situation because (in my opinion) they did not design runes or the impact they would have properly.
  • The reason I highlighted additional is because it's the relevant part of my disagreement with the statement, if there is no other form of communication then the forum can't be an additional form, it is the primary. I totally agree that the forum should have more detail it just makes sense.
    You seems to want to argue and content semantics into something I'm not trying to say, perhaps I'm not being clear on my stance. Here it is

The in game communications should be the primary source of information in the game, be it event banners or in game mail.
    This communication can be as brief or verbose as they want/can manage. For more information see the forums.

I hope that clears up my stance.
  • As a person who is happy with getting half decent GUI,d rewards, I don't see what the huge deal is. I mean I get people being agree about your inbox rewards being changed, the argue,net I'm not getting what I worked for is still kinda dumb. Considering you can majority of what you got in the guild rewards, you can get in the portals i personally don't see why everyone is pissed. If you thought system use the reasources at your disposal to inform the devs that it's a good change. But from what I've seen on the posts for when this change happened, all I saw was people complaining about the new system so. But again I really don't care about the change, so yea.
    Guild: Spud Brigade
    Level: 63
    Favorite hero overall:Shade | Favorite Caster: Shade | Favorite Rogue: Torch | Favorite Tank: Sir William | Favorite Warrior: Augustus | Favorite Healer:Nub-Nub | Favorite Dwarf: Dagrund | Favorite Reptile: Viperia | Favorite Undead: Hansuke | Favorite Beast: Grog-Gnog | Favorite Legendary: Pontifex | Favorite Dark Hero:Shade | Favorite Fire hero:Torchy | Favorite Nature hero: Hansuke | Favorite Light hero: Augustus | Favorite Water hero: Grog- Gnog
  • JS1891JS1891 Member
    @Phillipriv9 I think the main argument here is mainly the communication from the devs. Granting it's been talked about in the summit meetings they should've at least alerted everyone first, that the rewards in their mailbox will also be converted. Some players wanted to save those gems for runes and other stuffs that it might be needed.
    Change is inevitable, but good communication is always the key for better relationship between the game and it's players.
  • Please be considerable..why you guys always make changes without letting us know 1st..we still got unclaim mail which suddenly changes gem to summon.. @Eej @joel @bvs72
    “It’s so fluffy, I’m gonna die!”
  • bvs72bvs72 Member
    @HilfyFluffy - being a considerable muppet, I will make sure the proper authorities get the summons to address your problem in a court of law. I would hate to see someone die for so much fluffiness.
  • VioletLyraVioletLyra Member
    edited April 12
    It's nice to know that we're now ready for our first "real" reason! :)

It was a long and chaotic road to get there but I'm glad I chose to stick around. I'm (finally) mostly happy with the new pvp system. I don't think it's perfect but I recognize there's no way it could fit the needs and wishes of each and every player so overall, I feel it now works really well. Thank you, @Eej, @Joel and the rest of the team, for proving to us you cared about our feedback. It made all the difference.

I like the new rune rewards. Decent runes accessible for a larger group of players is an excellent thing.

As for the return of the heroic summons, I'm not sure how I feel about it. The gems kind of grew on me. But I still need to star up a lot of heroes so it's certainly not a bad thing to have an easier access to the heroic portal. However, I sympathise with my friends who are displeased about their unclaimed rewards being suddenly transformed into something else. I didn't have that problem but I can see how it must be upsetting. Hopefully, in the future, a heads-up of some sort will be offered.

In general, great job DB! I'm looking forward to discover what you have in store for us.
    Post edited by VioletLyra on
  • I don't like the change, but it's based on player feedback, therefore I won't whine about it.

However, changing my inbox rewards is not ok. The things I see in my inbox right now are simply not what I earned. I accept there might be technical difficulties with such a change, but if you couldn't change just the future rewards, then you should have told us so, especially in-game, and given us a day or to to claim the mail we were saving. The way this was handled just isn't very nice.
    IGN: Xanathra
  • Fantastic! Now I may well get some runes! And I did really rely on the honor summons especially when levelling. Even if they're not as useful to me now that my roster is beginning to mature, they'll be invaluable to many others. Both great changes.

I still wish we could accumulate honor for more than a week.
  • I'm going to echo the complaints of others regarding the changes to rewards earned in the past that have been retroactively changed in the mailbox to the new reward structure. It is simply unacceptable.
  • Drocas wrote: »
    I guess I don't understand why a month or so later they decide to go back to old rewards instead of immediately after. People here are also complaining of gems lost not thanking them
    Personally @Drocas im with you. I liked the gems a lot more. I could care less about the heroic summoner, i do a 10x once, maybe twice, when a new hero comes out and thats it. I still have more then 10x heroic summons saved up from when guild rewards gave them out before (not sure how many i actually have cause theres still no way to see that).

All my gems go towards rune tuning. I spend none on the portal cause stars are basically irrelevant. The 100 they give us in quests with each released hero to 4* them is more then enough to me. Theyll 6* eventually, im in no rush. And even without those quests most recent heroes went straight into pvp at 3* after moving runes around and were immediately valuable.

I will absolutely reconsider if this also comes with the updates to the value of stars eej talked about a few summits ago. But right now i feel like my rewards got nerfed personally. I know im probably in the minority though so oh well.

This mentality doesn't really make sense to me unless you plan to quit this game within the new 2 months. If at any point within the forseeable future they make stars relevant and you use 40+ heroic summons 5 starring a new hero, this change is good for you.

For a game that is all about long term horizons, this just seems very short sighted.

On that note, if you even do 1 10x heroic a month. This change is good for you. I would imagine when a new hero comes out you typically at least get it to 4 stars?
    So just to clarify on my roster, I may not particularly care about stars but that doesn't mean I ignore them. So looking back through time lets see:
    • Feb 10th - summons were taken away from guild rewards and pretty much everything else. So the free summon supply ran dry for everyone. I have not bought a summon nor have I acquired any that I can think of since then.
    • Feb 16th - Koros released. I did a 10x summon for sure. I think I did another 10x or two that weekend after it became clear he was a meta shaker and they increased the value of the portal (I think it became an all star portal ft. koros or something)
    • (not exactly sure when) - GG was finally put in the portal. I did 4 individual summons (since kozar was the actual 10x featured hero) and finally unlocked him
    • Mar 16th - Lily released. I did a 10x to unlock her. Then I did another 10x that weekend to 4* her when I got frustrated with dodgy heroes everywhere (I was hoping sapping vines scaled with attack and was like a massive, unblockable EOT poison effect. sadly it was not)

That's it. Since they took away summons from rewards that is my total heroic spend count. That is not unusual, since portalgate that's pretty much been average heroic summoner spend for me. I still don't know how many heroic summons I have saved up because its more then 10 (and we still can't see that anywhere).

And despite that there are only 4 heroes on my entire roster who are not 6* - Bauble is 5* and 160/250, Ember is 5* and 125/250, Koros is 5* and 20/250, and Lily is 4* and 80/150. Basically just from the tokens they give us via quests, honor shop, pvp, etc. And literally the only reason I care about those stars at all is my perfectionist mindset and the teeny tiny boost in RP it gives. It makes no difference whatsoever in actual gameplay right now, my runes add far FAR more then stars would in stats.

All this being said, it seems like this change is for the better. I may not be thrilled about it but I do completely get that I'm in the minority. Considering all the negativity recently, it's nice to see a changes that are completely driven from community feedback. And a lot of people were genuinely unhappy when this changed.

And it's not like I won't figure out how to use them. I've seen very good things come out of portals featuring runes. Now maybe I won't be so hesitant to take a pull when a rune portal features a hero I need. If I can land some useful tokens and a good rune from my guild rewards then that is an improvement. Not sure if the odds are great but then again what odds in this game are?
    centralcommand
  • If players are upset that their in game mail rewards changed to "the better" variant based on player feedback, is this change really based on player feedback? I prefer the gem payout myself.
    edited April 12
    seanlucky wrote: »
    If players are upset that their in game mail rewards changed to "the better" variant based on player feedback, is this change really based on player feedback? I prefer the gem payout myself.

Easy solution would be to give out the heroic portal pulls, and add an exchange in the shop for heroic pulls to gems at a rate of 220 gems per pull.

Edit: I say "easy". There is an exchange for gold to gems. I know this would take some coding but I would imagine it would be feasible.
  • seanlucky wrote: »
    If players are upset that their in game mail rewards changed to "the better" variant based on player feedback, is this change really based on player feedback? I prefer the gem payout myself.
    That's true, the forum hasn't exactly been thrilled about this change. I was thinking of the summit, many of the reps there said they were speaking for a majority of their guild and saying they were unhappy about the change from summons to gems. I was assuming that was a better representative sample of the playerbase then the subset of players that goes to this forum. Idk, it's very hard to tell.
    centralcommand
  • seanlucky wrote: »

I prefer gems too.
    When devs changed free summons to gems many players didn't think about how they became important to craft runes, and runes are more important then heroes stars.
    Now I don't think devs have to change rewards another time,but I hope they'll find other ways to let us gain gems
  • DrocasDrocas Member
    if they want to make changes off of our feedback they should just make a sticky poll and see where majority land.
    The EMPIRE :: The Aegis of Athena
    KuK1uXt.png
  • Drocas wrote: »
    if they want to make changes off of our feedback they should just make a sticky poll and see where majority land.

I'm not sure if serious >.> Implying the forum users are an accurate representation of the player base as a whole is a little bit of a stretch don't you think? We have people on here saying heroic portals are useless because they have every hero essentially 6 starred. How many players in the game do you think have that issue?
  • GUYS! We're about to have our first official season and PvP is finally fixed!! Am I really the only one who's excited about that?!

I feel so alone...

dsmvc3k50o4v.jpg