Is There a 1-stop Rune Guide? Some Noob-ish general questions too.

Hey all,

Still getting my feet wet in this game (L32, most heroes are 1-2 stars, a handful of 3 stars) and I'm getting a bit confused about runes. I realize that there are a bunch of different types (attack, power, precision, etc.) and qualities (lesser, improved, greater, etc.). What I'm confused about are "Legendary" runes; I got an achievement yesterday for making an legendary rune, but I'm not sure what exactly I did? I THINK it was a lesser Power rune that I tuned to 5-stars; it got some ability that says "+7% damage in PvP", which is a unique quality I had never seen before.

Can you take a rune of any quality to 5-star status then? Is that 5th star what makes it "legendary"? Is the likelihood of "5-star status" dependent on the quality (i.e., it's easier to get a Greater Rune to 5* than a Lesser)? Finally, it appears that the only way to craft runes is to break down runes of the same quality - i.e., I can shred lesser runes until I'm blue in the face, but I can't make a single improved rune out of the pieces.

If so, do I have to go to Challenge mode/continue in the story to get those higher level runes? I'm on the Lich's "World" in the main game, but have stopped the campaign to slow level (I only run the tower and PvP, and try evo island to see if I get a celestial - if not, then I quit before beating the boss). I've completed 3 straight towers (yay), so I'm getting a feel for it; I'm spending 100K gold/day on the greater summon for 5-6 "EXP-Free" tokens, plus the Yoriks I get from the Tower and the 5 tokens from the daily guild quest. I'm storing up my free Greater Summons, as well as my gems and Honor Summons for 10X summons of each for a hero I want/need.

Thanks for all your help; this forum is awesome.

Comments

• The rune system is very complicated at first and after awhile, you get used to it.

Runes have several "qualities" to it. Think of it like a pyramid.

At the base, you start with it's element. Pretty simple, green, blue, red, etc, You match the color of the rune to the empty rune slot.

Next up is it's "Tier". You have lesser, improved, greater, and superior. Lesser obviously being the weakest and Superior being the strongest in stats.

Another level up is it's "Rarity". You have common, uncommon, rare, heroic, and legendary. Common obviously being the weakest and legendary being the the strongest in stats.

Lastly, you have "stars". 1 start to 5 stars. Each star gives a 6% bump in the stats.

That's the general high-level guide to runes. Each rune has different materials required to craft. The runes you find within dungeons typically will only be lesser/improved/greater rare 3 star runes. During some event dungeons, you can get better runes to drop, but crafting is really the only way to go as far as getting the best runes.

I know I didn't answer all your questions, but this should give you a high-level idea of how runes work.
  • shiggity80shiggity80 Member
    edited April 17
    Weird...I just wrote this semi-long post and now it's gone?

ugh.

@joel forums doing something funky again.
  • echonapechonap Member
    There are three dimensions to a rune.
    1. Tier- Lesser, Improved, Greater, and Superior. You need to salvage runes of equal tier to get shards and binders to be able to craft the same tier runes. There is a slight chance of getting a better tier binder than the rune that you salvage, but the chance is so small that it is negligible. The tier of the rune will never change from tuning.
    2. Rarity - Common, Uncommon, Rare, Heroic, Legendary. Common runes only have one stat boost. Uncommon has two. Rare has three. Heroic and legendary have three and a rare chance at an ability like your pvp bonus. The higher rarity also have better stat boosts. You can tell the rarity by the border around the rune. Legendary has a decorative frame. You can improve the rarity by tuning.
    3. Quality - This is the number of stars. Each star makes the rune slightly stronger in terms of the stat boost (but less effective than improvements in rarity). You can improve the quality by tuning.

Normal mode drops lesser runes, with a rare chance at an improved rune. It will show up mid dungeon as a random treasure chest. Challenge mode drops improved runes, with a rare chance at a greater. Boss mode drops greater runes, with a rare chance at superior runes.

My advice is to do your farming on challenge mode dungeons as soon as you can. You want the higher tier runes to craft with.
  • @echonap - so tuning affecs Rarity and Quality. Rarity affects the # of stats the rune boosts, while Quality affects the # of stars (kind of like hero stars, the more the better).

I assume tier of runes determines the degree of improvement of the Rarity and Quality via tuning. Also, is all tuning 5 gems, or do higher tier runes cost more to tune? Just thinking, because I've been tuning my lesser runes to be at least 3 stars, but go as high as I can until I get 1 failure (ended up with a couple of 4 star runes like that, and that 1 5-star legendary PvP rune - too bad all my pvp heroes are green, lol).
  • xandrew29 wrote: »
    @echonap - so tuning affecs Rarity and Quality. Rarity affects the # of stats the rune boosts, while Quality affects the # of stars (kind of like hero stars, the more the better).

I assume tier of runes determines the degree of improvement of the Rarity and Quality via tuning. Also, is all tuning 5 gems, or do higher tier runes cost more to tune? Just thinking, because I've been tuning my lesser runes to be at least 3 stars, but go as high as I can until I get 1 failure (ended up with a couple of 4 star runes like that, and that 1 5-star legendary PvP rune - too bad all my pvp heroes are green, lol).

Before my post got mysteriously deleted, I wrote something to the effect of:

Think of runes as a pyramid.

At the bottom base, you have the "element" which is just the color of the rune that you have to match to the rune slot. Each element rune has different overall types of runes you can craft (battle, power, life, etc).

At the next level up is the "Tier" which like echonap said contains the lesser, improved, greater, superior. Think of this level as the overall strength of the tune. Lesser runes will have a lower range of possible stat values, while Superior will have the best range of possible stat values.

After that, you have "Rarity", which have 5 different possibilities, common, uncommon, rare, heroic, and legendary, again with legendary having the highest range of stat values.

Lastly, you have "Quality (Stars)", which go from 1-5 stars. Each star gives a static 6% increase in the stats.

So understanding that structure, you can have say, an Improved Legendary 5* rune that has better/higher stats than a Greater rare 4* rune.

As far as the tuning costs go, lesser runes cost 5 gems each tune. Improved starts at 5, then goes to 10, then caps at 25. I forget the others, but it scales up.

• echonapechonap Member
    xandrew29 wrote: »
    @echonap - so tuning affecs Rarity and Quality. Rarity affects the # of stats the rune boosts, while Quality affects the # of stars (kind of like hero stars, the more the better).

The higher tier runes cost a lot more. Not sure about improved, but greater starts at 10 gems for first tune, then it goes up to 25, 65, 75, etc. while superior is 120 or so per tune. Don't know exact numbers. You will easily sink 1000 gems for each superior rune though.

Not sure about the strategy for tuning lesser runes as have never done it. At 5 gems per tune, I wouldn't stop until I hit legendary 5 star. The higher tier runes fail a lot, but the initial cost is so high in materials and shards that if you get the correct stats, most people tune all the way to max.

• li30li30 Member
    edited April 19
    echonap wrote: »

The higher tier runes cost a lot more. Not sure about improved, but greater starts at 10 gems for first tune, then it goes up to 25, 65, 75, etc. while superior is 120 or so per tune. Don't know exact numbers. You will easily sink 1000 gems for each superior rune though.
    I calculated, lesser runes all 12 tuning in cost 60 gems, improved 300 gems, greater 780 gems. haven't crafted any superior, but i remember someone mentioned its 1200 gems.

• li30 wrote: »

I calculated, lesser runes all 12 tuning in cost 60 gems, improved 300 gems, greater 780 gems. haven't crafted any superior, but i remember someone mentioned its 1200 gems.

Off of this, I assume there are some overlaps in terms of quality - A 5* Legendary Lesser Rune may have stats that are better than a 3* Uncommon Greater Rune.

What I'm getting at is that, for someone who is slow leveling (been at L32 for 3 straight days, haha), it may be worth it to sink 60 gems into the highest quality Lesser Runes I can, given that the chances of rolling mutliple Legendary Improved runes (and the associated costs) are crazy high (oddly enoguh, biggest % jump is between lesser and improved, a 500% increase, vs. 160% increase in cost from improved to Greater and not even double from greater to superior).

Just trying to stay in low Champion in PvP so I can get the season-end rune reward/enough honor to keep buying my Bramble tokens when they appear.
  • xandrew29 wrote: »
    li30 wrote: »

Off of this, I assume there are some overlaps in terms of quality - A 5* Legendary Lesser Rune may have stats that are better than a 3* Uncommon Greater Rune.

What I'm getting at is that, for someone who is slow leveling (been at L32 for 3 straight days, haha), it may be worth it to sink 60 gems into the highest quality Lesser Runes I can, given that the chances of rolling mutliple Legendary Improved runes (and the associated costs) are crazy high (oddly enoguh, biggest % jump is between lesser and improved, a 500% increase, vs. 160% increase in cost from improved to Greater and not even double from greater to superior).

Just trying to stay in low Champion in PvP so I can get the season-end rune reward/enough honor to keep buying my Bramble tokens when they appear.

In general, yes there is overlap because Tiers and Rarity all provide ranges of stats to fall between. I don't know if anyone has created a big chart showing all those ranges, but you probably are correct to say that a lesser lengedary 5* rune would have higher stats than some improved runes (and maybe some greater runes).
  • Thanks @shiggity80 . For a game that as a cadaver-eating bunny, there sure are some very involved mechanics.
  • echonapechonap Member
    Forgot to mention in my original post that going from rare to heroic in rarity also allows a rune to be leveled up from level 20 to level 30, which is a huge jump in terms of overall stat boosts. This cannot be seen in the crafting menu, but is evident once you actually go to use the rune. For that reason, nobody even talks about rare runes. The conversation begins at heroic.

Yes, there is overlap. For example, a five star greater legendary is better than a five star superior heroic.

This is the priority for runes:
    1. All correct stats. No point in tuning a rune at all if it has resists, skill, or another undesirable stat.
    2. Rarity
    3. Tier
    4. Quality

Tier and main stat is the only thing you control 100%. Everything else is a dice roll.