Rune farming question

So, I'm starting to do more rune farming so I can eventually craft some runes to build a better PvP roster. When going for a particular type of rune - say, battle rune - does going to the highest level have any effect on how good the rune drop could be? In other words, would a quickloot of a battle rune on 13-1 be better than the same rune on 2-3? Or is it all equal random chance?

Comments

• echonapechonap Member
    Equal random chance
  • MattCauthronMattCauthron Member
    edited April 17
    echonap wrote: »
    Equal random chance

I'm not sure that's proven. I'm quite sure we know that later levels drop more materials on average. It's certainly possible later levels have a higher chance of dropping rare quality. Maybe @Foozle has the appropriate data to make a good assumption on this.
  • So, I'm starting to do more rune farming so I can eventually craft some runes to build a better PvP roster. When going for a particular type of rune - say, battle rune - does going to the highest level have any effect on how good the rune drop could be? In other words, would a quickloot of a battle rune on 13-1 be better than the same rune on 2-3? Or is it all equal random chance?

Side question - if you break down a Greater 5* Legendary Rune and a Greater 3* Rare Rune, does each rune offer the same amount of materials?

Or would the 5* legendary give me like 4-5 shards/binders while the 3* Rare only give me 1-2 shards/binders?
  • But doesn't matter if it's rare or common or legendary if you're just intending to salvage. All the same in the eyes of the scrap heap.
  • echonapechonap Member
    I'm not sure that's proven. I'm quite sure we know that later levels drop more materials on average. It's certainly possible later levels have a higher chance of dropping rare quality. Maybe @Foozle has the appropriate data to make a good assumption on this.

This:
    FatCat69 wrote: »
    But doesn't matter if it's rare or common or legendary if you're just intending to salvage. All the same in the eyes of the scrap heap.

I thought the OP was asking if each of those dungeons have the same chance of dropping a rune for him to salvage. In which case, it does. As for rarity and stars, I've never seen anything better than 3 star rare, except as a mid dungeon drop.

• echonap wrote: »

This:
    FatCat69 wrote: »
    But doesn't matter if it's rare or common or legendary if you're just intending to salvage. All the same in the eyes of the scrap heap.

I thought the OP was asking if each of those dungeons have the same chance of dropping a rune for him to salvage. In which case, it does. As for rarity and stars, I've never seen anything better than 3 star rare, except as a mid dungeon drop.

OPs wording is a bit confusing/ambiguous. But it seems like there are 3 questions being answered/asked here (including mine).

1. Do higher level stages have a better chance at dropping a rune?
    2. Does salvaging a higher level rune produce higher quantity of materials (shards/binders)?
    3. Do higher level stages have a chance to drop better quality runes than lower stages?

• sagewithaflawsagewithaflaw Member
    edited April 17
    Thanks for the replies all - gives me an idea at least. I have one further question about salvaging that occurred to me. From what I am understanding, scrapping lesser runes gives you a chance for a lesser binder, whilst scrapping an improved rune gives you a shot at a improved *or* greater binder. Are the materials used from salvaging lesser runes used in improved / greater runes as well, or do they all have their own set of mats?

If the latter is true, then I'm wondering if it's even worth salvaging Lesser runes at this point (lvl 47, have a bunch of improved & a handful of greater runes on my main PvP & undead PVE). Would I be better off just maxing them out and slapping them on heroes I use less frequently? Or is it still worth trying to craft new ones if I have some in my inventory currently?
  • Lesser runes use mats from Normal Mode -- plants and crystals. Improved runes use mats from Challenge Mode -- raw materials and metals. And greater and superiors use a combination of items from each for crafted materials as well as tomes from Boss Mode.

When you salvage runes of each level, it's best just to assume that you're going to get shards or binder for that level rune. Upgrades during salvage happen so infrequently it's not even worth talking about it.

I personally rune up all my heroes just so they'll be useful if I ever decide to use them (and just so I have additional runes around in care I'm looking for something specific).
  • Thanks for the clarification. I've been playing long enough that I should have known all this, but I sort of took a "head in the sand" approach towards runes as it seemed like a lot of busy work and tinkering - and eventually reached a point where I could no longer avoid them to remain competitive. So I'm off to tinker...
  • FoozleFoozle Member
    [/quote]

OPs wording is a bit confusing/ambiguous. But it seems like there are 3 questions being answered/asked here (including mine).

1. Do higher level stages have a better chance at dropping a rune?
    2. Does salvaging a higher level rune produce higher quantity of materials (shards/binders)?
    3. Do higher level stages have a chance to drop better quality runes than lower stages?

[/quote]

I've done the most data collection on #1 - about 350 challenge mode and 950 normal mode, and it doesn't appear that the rune drop rate is significantly different between lower and higher dungeons. It is roughly 50%. There was a slight difference between levels but it wasn't consistent between challenge and normal mode, so I'm writing it off to not having enough data at the different levels.

On #2, I haven't formally collected data, but I believe quality of rune doesn't matter, other than generally Uncommon and better runes give a chance for a binder that is one level above while Common only give a chance for binders at that same level (there may be an inconsistency bug here that I'll post about in different thread.

On #3 I don't have any data other than anecdotal, but I have never noticed a better chance to get better quality runes at higher stages. And in any case, since the best you can get from the end of dungeon chest is a 3 star Rare, it doesn't really matter much as heroic and legendary runes are required to be competitive in PvP these days anyway. It does matter a bit for newer players, but even newer players will outgrow the Rare runes pretty quickly.
  • Thanks @Foozle - I appreciate your input and taking the time to respond. That's exactly what I was hoping to find out and gives me an idea of how to proceed with farming / salvaging.