Impending Rune Changes

JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
Hi everyone!

We are currently in the process of streamlining the Rune system. We fully recognize the impact that even a small change to them can have on players and are running everything by our focus group as we go. The larger portion of the changes are still being tuned (pun intended), but we have some changes that many players have indicated support for and felt that there was no reason to delay their release.

These changes will most likely be implemented at around midday tomorrow, but exact time is subject to change.

Intent
  • Improve players' experiences with Runes by removing perceived “low value” Resist runes and as a stat on Runes
  • Remove Resist Rune type (all tiers, relevant colors) as a Crafting Recipe and as dropped Rewards
  • Remove +Resist modifier from all other Rune types (all tiers, relevant colors)
  • SKL as a stat on most runes is perceived as “not valuable” - ensuring that Focus rune type is the exclusive avenue for SKL bonus
  • Remove +SKL modifier from all Rune types except Focus (SKL primary) Rune type and special Rune types: Tactics and Vampiric
Consideration
  • Fire, Nature, and Light craftable recipes will be reduced by 1 with the removal of Resist rune type
  • This means there are only 8 available Rune crafting recipes, rather than 9, available to those three elements
  • In addition, there are no SKL bonus options for Dark and Nature – we will evaluate any ongoing need and adjust at a later date.

Rune Type Changes
Resist Rune Type and Modifiers
  • Resist Runes no longer drop as rewards in dungeons, portals, grab bags, or other places where runes are randomly determined
  • Resist Runes are no longer craftable at any tier
  • +Resist (element) modifier will no longer appear as a possibility on any crafted or dropped rune
  • Existing Resist Runes are unchanged
  • Resist Shards will be unused in crafting recipes for now and are not being converted at this time, but they will not be left in the game as 'dead' materials in the long run. We will be converting them at a later date, and while the exact date and conversion rate have not been finalized, we don't think a delay on the conversion is worth delaying these changes as a whole.

Focus Rune Type
  • +SKL modifiers will only be a possibility on Focus rune types that are crafted or dropped as Fire, Water, and Light Runes.
Other Rune Type Changes
  • For the 9 common rune types remaining - the number of possible modifiers has been reduced from 5 to 3 for secondary and tertiary bonus modifiers.
  • Ex. Power Runes now have +ATK, +CRIT, +DAMAGE% as possible modifiers with +SKL and +DODGE being removed as possibilities.
  • Elusive runes have DEF modifier as a new possibility
  • Tactics and Vampiric special rune types will continue to have +SKL as a stat type
Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
www.bossfightentertainment.com
Tagged:

Comments

• Very positive. Thanks!
  • This is very exciting news. This should at least make the actual crafting process feel much better.
  • YykkilYykkil Member
    After reading the thread title I was actually expecting to see something to do with balancing rune ATK values...so I am left with the supposition that the damage changes will come at a later time.

Still, a breath of fresh air. Kind of a bummer how most of these changes will not be retroactive.
  • Yykkil wrote: »
    After reading the thread title I was actually expecting to see something to do with balancing rune ATK values...so I am left with the supposition that the damage changes will come at a later time.

Still, a breath of fresh air. Kind of a bummer how most of these changes will not be retroactive.

I am curious how you would propose the changes could be retroactive. How does one person decide what the entire community would prefer to have their resist/skill/dodge ect stats changed to? What if people want to hold onto their resist runes for PvE reasons.

The easy answer of course is to leave them unchanged.
  • nunyanunya Member
    Oh thank you. This will help a lot. :)
    nunya
  • digmdigm Member
    Good looking changes, excited to see them implemented.
  • What will happen when destroying an existing resist rune after these changes are released? Will it only convert to a binder since resist shards are being removed?
  • Thanks again!
    We are the Empire
    Aegis of Athena
    Oath of Orpheus
    Viral Fist of Ares
    House of Hades
    Path of Prometheus

Contact me on Line chat. ID: ninjanurse00
  • KaceyKacey Member
    Dope
    FINAL BOSS OFFICER
    9gJSaHl.gif
  • JaxBoomstickJaxBoomstick Member
    edited April 25
    Joel wrote: »
    [*] In addition, there are no SKL bonus options for Dark and Nature – we will evaluate any ongoing need and adjust at a later date.

Vampiric runes will still have skill and are Dark and Nature.

Also ... Am I reading this correctly that Dodge is being removed from Precision runes?

Further, can we get clarification on the available secondary skill options on Power vs. Battle Runes?
  • EejEej Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
    headsoak wrote: »
    What will happen when destroying an existing resist rune after these changes are released? Will it only convert to a binder since resist shards are being removed?

Resist shards are not being removed - they temporarily won't have a purpose.

Salvaging an existing Resist Rune may still return Resist Shards for the time being - if you are planning on cleaning out your inventory, the net result will be the same when we do convert them in the future.
  • This post was written redundantly. Lol at "perceived 'low value.'" Hope this is implemented correctly from the start. I.e - no lingering resist in rune bags/specials on accident. Looking forward to crafting bulwarks!
  • lightwardlightward Member
    edited April 25
    Joel wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

what is skl?
  • Can we make it so planning rune do not require attack shards since that makes no sense?

Otherwise great changes.
  • It's not that Skill is seen as an undesirable trait, it's that nobody knows what Skill does. We're still waiting for you guys to tell us. Maybe once we know what's Skill does, people will want Skill back as a feature on runes.

Didn't they already tell us?

It'll improve crit, healing, and chance (or potency of) debuff/buffs. I think that's what's been mentioned.
  • oredithoredith Member
    when guildmates were talking about upcoming rune changes, i seriously thought that we were finally going to get clarification on skill stat. I was a bit disappointed that it really made no clarification on that front in an official capacity.
    soon™ - it's the answer to everything
  • oredithoredith Member
    shiggity80 wrote: »
    It'll improve crit, healing, and chance (or potency of) debuff/buffs. I think that's what's been mentioned.
    "Been mentioned" is like saying "it'd be nice if.... "

it's far from official, and so I still consider SKL an undesirable stat, with attack being the king of all stats.
  • MattCauthronMattCauthron Member
    edited April 25
    @oredith

It's all in the summit log. If you won't take Shiggity's word for it (When he says It's been mentioned he means by Eej), then you can certainly go read it for yourself! I certainly can't blame someone for wanting to go directly to the source.

On that note, if you feel that skill is an undesirable stat, these changes should be excellent :D
  • I believe the intent is to further clarify the effects of Skill at a slightly later date as they do a similar update to runes that is more skill centric. They decoupled the two changes to allow the changes to resist to go into effect sooner, rather than later.
  • Will the Resist effect on existing runes stil provide an effect after this update, or will Resist essentially be a dead effect on existing runes?
  • Resist stats on runes will work the same as they did before.
  • oredithoredith Member
    edited April 25
    It's all in the summit log. If you won't take Shiggity's word for it (When he says It's been mentioned he means by Eej), then you can certainly go read it for yourself! I certainly can't blame someone for wanting to go directly to the source.

On that note, if you feel that skill is an undesirable stat, these changes should be excellent :D
    Thanks @MattCauthron, I see the summit logs and generally tune out after 30/40 lines in since it's generally difficult to track with out of sequence responses and then people responding to each other.

having said that, I personally would still not consider anything in the summit discussions to be anything official, as there's no links to any of the logs on the forum that i'm able to find, except for the occasional summary.

case in point, balancing of shade and MK were discussed many many summits ago, and still nothing (i guess it kinda became moot when the discussion switched to Koros) . How long have there been promise to clarify what skill does?

I guess i consider the summit to be more like "hey, I happened to run into Eej at ____ the other day, and was asking him about ____, and this is what he said about it."

on a micro scale, i'm glad that they're doing SOMETHING about resist, and streamlining the crafting. on a macro scale, i'm still pretty unhappy with how disproportionately powerful runes are compared to other factors in game, but that's neither here nor there..
  • @oredith

I just wanted to note that MK, Shade, and Koros have been continuously talked about in summits (Even as recently as this last weekend). It's been an ongoing discussion, so I'm not sure that's the best example of the point you are trying to make.

Personally, I would consider words out of Eej's mouth just about as official as you can get. He also is the one that said the logs would be allowed to be public, which makes them just as official as anything on the forum in my eyes.
  • oredithoredith Member
    Personally, I would consider words out of Eej's mouth just about as official as you can get. He also is the one that said the logs would be allowed to be public, which makes them just as official as anything on the forum in my eyes.
    at this point, i think we're just parsing words. I will cede that my gripe is minor and ultimately inconsequential. it's not like it's gonna be the basis of legal action or anything.

One thing i wish would come out of the summit, however, is what my clients request of me after I have a client meeting: a list of action items and anticipated delivery date.

the gaming industry seems to be the only one where "soon^tm" is a perfectly acceptable answer.
  • oredithoredith Member
    edited April 25
    I will say this. this will make the likelihood of replicating my blue bulwark rune without +resist a lot easier to stomach, after the game *ate* my legendary one, and gave me 250 gems for it.. -_-
  • oredith wrote: »
    I will say this. this will make the likelihood of replicating my blue bulwark rune without +resist a lot easier to stomach, after the game age my legendary one, and gave me 250 gems for it.. -_-

EXACTLY!! I won't craft any bulwarks because of resist. Too many materials and gems down the drain because EVERY crafted bulwark had resist trait.
  • bvs72bvs72 Member
    Is impending faster than soon?
  • iphonesheepiphonesheep Member
    edited April 26
    This is all great,is skillpart of the larger update @Eej ?
  • YykkilYykkil Member
    edited April 26
    Yykkil wrote: »

I am curious how you would propose the changes could be retroactive. How does one person decide what the entire community would prefer to have their resist/skill/dodge ect stats changed to? What if people want to hold onto their resist runes for PvE reasons.

The easy answer of course is to leave them unchanged.

Never mentioned anything about speaking for the community, it's just my input as to what I would prefer as a member of the community.

As you say, it would be impossible to slap an umbrella decision that would be everyone's cup of tea - my logic is just that if runes can no longer have the resist property, no resist property should exist in any context at all - therefore replacing existing resist values with something else of ambiguous designation.