Mourning Lord dodges Valkin?

I was trying to beat the Mourning Lord, but I can't land a hit. He is dodging my dwarf attacks even. Is this another of those "I do not think that means what you think it means" moments in regards to perfect switch?

Comments

• FatCat69FatCat69 Member
    Guessing this is one of the Boss Mode bosses where only Crits will hit. Need to look at using a friend's Bramble on that last screen.
  • Fville8Fville8 Member
    What do you mean only crits will hit? How do they hit if it's dodged? And I have a 50% crit indigo that got dodged at least 9 times.
  • JackHallow666JackHallow666 Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    Fville8 wrote: »
    What do you mean only crits will hit? How do they hit if it's dodged? And I have a 50% crit indigo that got dodged at least 9 times.

Tap and hold the enemy and look for the passive that says they will dodge all non-Crit attacks. Attack animations are only animations, whether an attack is a Crit or not is determined as soon as you tap the enemy, so if an attack is going to be a Crit, it will hit. Goblins are obviously best for those kinds of bosses.
    Level: 70
    Favorite hero: Indigo
    Currently: Trying to get as many runes done as possible. Takes a lot of money, man!
  • Fville8Fville8 Member
    There's nothing in the description that even hints at dodging. Disease, not Dodge.
  • Fville8Fville8 Member
    Sorry, I checked the pre-fight, not the mid fight buffs. Yes, it does say that.

So, I guess it overrides the true strike? Very confusing. How do we ever know which guarantee overrides another one?
  • Fville8Fville8 Member
    Is there something else up with this dungeon though? I'm only getting crits from indigo about 25% on average. As low as 10%, as high as 30%. That's an average of all her non-diseased attacks after multiple runs. One run you could chalk up to bad luck, 5 or 6 looks like a pattern.
    edited May 13
    Is there something else up with this dungeon though? I'm only getting crits from indigo about 25% on average. As low as 10%, as high as 30%. That's an average of all her non-diseased attacks after multiple runs. One run you could chalk up to bad luck, 5 or 6 looks like a pattern.

You really just have to blame it on RNG and stop looking for reasons to blame the game. The dodging all non-Crits is the only thing that overrides Perfect swing. I guess it would be nice if it specified..?? But... it's not really a big deal, or at least as long as no hero ever gets that passive and is used in PvP.

Boss Mode is the hardest difficulty for a reason. And a Dwarf team wouldn't even be that bad for such a boss fight, as Valkin can buff team Crit.
    Currently: Trying to get as many runes done as possible. Takes a lot of money, man!
  • Fville8Fville8 Member
    That's sort of my point though. RNG should mean that I can run this dungeon enough and eventually crit 75% of the time. What do you really think the odds are of that happening? How many times do I have to run it before we don't blame RNG?

And just to make a point, Valkin WAS buffing team crit. 5 indigo attacks, 0 crits, no disease. I have crit maxed at 50%.

To prove a bug point even more, my best success was taking MK. He managed to crit WHILE diseased. I guess I can thank the forums got pointing out that "edge case" in death blossom.

I get that it's boss mode, and it's tough. I'm fine if it's made tough, but at least tell me what I'm up against. That's what I don't think is fair here, and why I posted it as a bug. When there is no explanation as to why a trait suddenly doesn't work, it feels buggy. When a boss mode dungeon starts to throw statistical anomalies, it feels buggy.
    mrdahl wrote: »
    Turns wise, the next hero should be blue, its almost a month since Hopper and we have a new holiday coming up, mothers day. A new blue 'leviathan hero' seams likely

From what I've read you played through the dungeon once, and immediately jumped to the conclusion that it couldn't have possibly been RNG and it absolutely must be a flaw in the game itself.

Look, I don't know what to tell you. What else do you think it is? Because your Indigo has 50% Crit, yet the boss dodged their attacks. There's no other way around it, it's just RNG. Once you start taking math classes in high school, you'll learn that just because a chance for something to occur is low, doesn't mean it can't happen. It may annoy you, and baffle you, and confuse you, but that's just how statistics work.

Also note how nobody ever makes threads about Indigo landing Crits 75%+ of the time, because they like that happening. I can guarantee you that most of the posts on these forums about "RNG and Bugs" and "Values not working as intended" are just people who got upset over bad RNG and feel they need someone to blame it on.

I don't mean this to sound rude, I'm just asking what your explanation is, because the best thing you've offered is that there's a "bug" or a trait "isn't working". How does 50% Crit with a Crit buff suddenly translate to 100%? If it doesn't land you a Crit 5 times in a row (which by the way, is more turns than Valkin's buff lasts, so at least 3 of those turns were non-buffed), it's not "broken", because 50-75% doesn't equal 100%. And yes the odds of it failing multiple times in a row are even lower, but still not absolute.
  • Fville8Fville8 Member
    Wow, you don't mean to be rude? "Once you take math classes in high school?" I aced college statistics, thank you. Which is why this doesn't make sense to me.

I also don't understand how you got that I only ran it once. I made it pretty clear it was more than one run. I made the post after 6. For the record, I played the dungeon 11 times today. Rounding aside, the highest I ever got on Indigo crits was about 30%. Lowest was 10. 1 out of 10 attacks. Across the whole dungeon. So this wasn't one attack against the boss, it was a much larger sample than one fight.

I never expected 100%. I did expect close to the 50 that is on her stat sheet.

Indigo also does 3 attacks with rapid fire, so don't try to tell me Valkins buff can't apply to that many attacks. Especially when doing it more than once a dungeon.

My personal opinion? I think that crits are intentionally lowered for this dungeon. It's a boss dungeon, and it's supposed to be hard. But it'd be nice to know what I'm up against. Same is sort of true with Valkin. I wish I knew when things like perfect swing were overrulled.
    Wow, you don't mean to be rude? "Once you take math classes in high school?" I aced college statistics, thank you. Which is why this doesn't make sense to me.

I also don't understand how you got that I only ran it once. I made it pretty clear it was more than one run. I made the post after 6. For the record, I played the dungeon 11 times today. Rounding aside, the highest I ever got on Indigo crits was about 30%. Lowest was 10. 1 out of 10 attacks. Across the whole dungeon. So this wasn't one attack against the boss, it was a much larger sample than one fight.

I never expected 100%. I did expect close to the 50 that is on her stat sheet.

Indigo also does 3 attacks with rapid fire, so don't try to tell me Valkins buff can't apply to that many attacks. Especially when doing it more than once a dungeon.

My personal opinion? I think that crits are intentionally lowered for this dungeon. It's a boss dungeon, and it's supposed to be hard. But it'd be nice to know what I'm up against. Same is sort of true with Valkin. I wish I knew when things like perfect swing were overrulled.

Why would you want to know that before the dungeon? There's no fun in that. Part of the difficulty is not knowing what you're up against.
  • FatCat69FatCat69 Member
    edited May 14
    Just so we are clear, you're asking about levels 4-4 through 4-6 of Boss Mode. It wasn't the level that I remember being difficult. That was 10-3.

Fwiw -- I just ran 4-4 with Shade Kobal Dagrund and Pignius and it seemed relatively straightforward.