May 15th Update: Skill Rework

DB_DillonDB_Dillon Member, Moderator, Boss Fight
Hey folks, my name is Dillon, a designer on Dungeon Boss! I've been working with the Meta Focus Group to bring you new and exciting characters and abilities, and today we're rolling out our new update on Skill.

Today we’re releasing an update for you guys on Skill. For a long time now, we’ve had a lot of questions of “What does Skill do?” And for a long time, that’s been a hazy gray area of healing and crit. Some astute players have noted that skill runes weren’t affecting healing when applied to a healer (excepting Bauble.) Our healing abilities weren't taking into account changes that occurred with runes or within the dungeon. Additionally, we weren’t happy with where Skill was as a Core Stat, so we took this opportunity to overhaul it completely. Skill now has a new place in Dungeon Boss, so let’s break it down.

Skill affects CRIT
This is unchanged from before!

Skill now properly affects healing
Before now, Skill was supposed to affect healing, and it had technically. The problem was, anything added to the character would not be taken into account after the fact (Like Runes.) We’ve fixed that, making sure it affected each ability properly and now scales with the stat appropriately.
(Grab a healer, and stack ‘em up with a lot of Skill. It’s great. Check It out! Also affects lifesteal too!)

Skill affects buffs
Each time a character attempts to apply something to a new character, Skill is used to calculate how much of an affect it will have. When you attempt to apply a buff to one of your heroes, the buff will be affected by the caster's skill, and get bonuses based on that.
(ex. Hagrim rages through a Dwarven Fury with some extra Skill. He now has a greater chance to revenge (up to 85% chance from 75%, hits harder with his multipliers (up to 4x).

Skill affects debuffs.
When you apply a debuff to an opponent, it compares the two Skills. If the enemies is higher, they have a normal chance to resist the buff. If the caster's is higher, they not only have a better chance of applying the buff, but can apply added bonuses out of it!
(ex. Kobal with a bajillion Skill applies disease to enemy Zurk. Diseased Zurk, with his 2 Skill, not only loses his ability to crit entirely, he only attacks for a measly 1 damage.)

Things Skill now affects:
  • Disease
  • DOT effects (Poison, Burn, Wound, Frostbite)
  • Stat Buffs
  • Stat Debuffs
  • Dodge Buffs/Debuffs
  • Dazes
  • Debilitate
  • Damage Reductions/multipliers gained from active abilities
  • Chance to happen (Hansuke jumping in front of a character on Vigilance, chance to revenge on Dwarven Fury, chance for Disease to spread on Septic Claw)
  • Resist Buffs
  • Damage Reflected
  • Resurrection Health
  • Lifesteal
This does not include:
  • Passive Multipliers (Savage Fury, Tank Hunter)
  • Freeze Time
  • Chill Time
  • Armored/Magical/Flying
  • Chance to Revenge in passives (Slow)
  • Tenacity
(these lists may be not all inclusive.)

Small Fixes During this Change
A lot of our tooltips for abilities were updated! Healing and other buffs should display now.
Shock now applies the damage from the attacker instead of from who it was applied to.

You can expect to see Skill affecting your heroes sometime today!
Tagged:

Comments

• A new blue posting on the forums! Hi @DB_Dillon!
  • JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
    Given the impact of these changes, we will be starting a free Rune unequip event at 3pm that will last until 3pm on Wednesday. :)
    Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
    www.bossfightentertainment.com
  • allanxallanx Member
    do these changes indirectly nerf the specific hero builds we have?
    like say my + DEF HP ATK only hansuke used to parry 80% of the time (made up number) will he now parry less often cause he has only his base skill?
    or will it only effect him positively like + 252 skill = 81% chance (more made up numbers)
  • TherrinnTherrinn Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    Woohoo, I'm glad that runes are continuing to improve. Thank you for your efforts! Now let's celebrate with Napoleon Dynamite skill-related meme!
    10ce1c0aa97ced0f79ff71b2aee5358b_i-have-skills-numchuck-skills-meme-skills_625-436.jpeg
    OverrideB1
    “I bought a big bag of potatoes and it's growing eyes like crazy. Other foods rot. Potatoes want to see.”
    ― Bill Callahan, Letters to Emma Bowlcut
  • DB_DillonDB_Dillon Member, Moderator, Boss Fight
    allanx wrote: »
    do these changes indirectly nerf the specific hero builds we have?
    like say my + DEF HP ATK only hansuke used to parry 80% of the time (made up number) will he now parry less often cause he has only his base skill?
    or will it only effect him positively like + 252 skill = 81% chance (more made up numbers)

It will only affect him positively. :)
  • Zombie8uZombie8u Member
    "Ressurection health" is listed. Will Emily now ressurect with less health than before if she has no additional skill?
  • BrazyBrazy Member
    Does it help with Passive healing? Ember heals 2.5% every turn. Say that 2.5% heals 500HP. Will adding more skill bump that up?
    Oh, and attack has always increased things like burning damage. Will this continue to be the case in addition to skill increasing it, or is it only skill that does that now?
    Zombie8u wrote: »
    "Ressurection health" is listed. Will Emily now ressurect with less health than before if she has no additional skill?
    It only affects in a positive direction. Emily would resurrect characters at about half health on lower levels, now it's half health + a skill bonus

Brazy wrote: »
    Does it help with Passive healing? Ember heals 2.5% every turn. Say that 2.5% heals 500HP. Will adding more skill bump that up?

Yep!
    Oh, and attack has always increased things like burning damage. Will this continue to be the case in addition to skill increasing it, or is it only skill that does that now?

This is no longer the case. All Damage Over Time(DOT) effects now determine their damage through Skill instead of ATK.

This is no longer the case. All Damage Over Time(DOT) effects now determine their damage through Skill instead of ATK.

Thank you. This is a big change, looks like my poor mangle just got neutered.
  • Zombie8u wrote: »

Looks like my Furnace got neutered as well. I rely on a good portion of damage to come from burning, but my Furnace does not have any skl runes.
  • DrocasDrocas Member
    @Foozle when can we expect a spreadsheet showing us how this affects everything? I'm guessing within a week :)
    The EMPIRE :: The Aegis of Athena
    KuK1uXt.png
    shiggity80 wrote: »

Looks like my Furnace got neutered as well. I rely on a good portion of damage to come from burning, but my Furnace does not have any skl runes.

Yeah, I figured since everyone uses Furnace the same way that it was a change that hit us all. I don't see too many other people using mangle very often.
  • When using healing abilities is it the healer's or the target's skill stat that affects the amount of health?
  • allanxallanx Member
    this'll have a few annoying side effects but over all I think this will make the game significantly better and I'm glad to see these changes.
    I agree. Solid changes. Just have to make it through some short term pain points.
  • nunyanunya Member
    Am I the only one who's worried?

nunya
  • nunya wrote: »

It's potentially complicated for the number crunchers. For the average players "Skill makes buffs and healing better" is a pretty simple thing to grasp.
  • JackHallow666JackHallow666 Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    To be fair, I think Mangle and Furnace needed the nerf to Burn damage. Especially when Kai was on their team. Having Furnace deal thousands of points of damage as a TANK was just crazy. Mangle not as much, but the unavoidable fire damage to everyone every single turn could be a bit Op.

Now if only this change nerfed Kira as well.
    Level: 70
    Favorite hero: Bovus
    Favorite element: Nature
    Currently: Trying to max out Epics
  • JackHallow666JackHallow666 Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    Also, can Kai now debuff AoE damage even more!? Jeez I didn't even think of that horrifying possibility...
    Level: 70
    Favorite hero: Bovus
    Favorite element: Nature
    Currently: Trying to max out Epics
  • nunya wrote: »

It's potentially complicated for the number crunchers. For the average players "Skill makes buffs and healing better" is a pretty simple thing to grasp.

The only thing I'm gonna suffer from is that burn damage from furnace will be lower. Not sure how much lower though but seems probably significant if it was originally based on attack.
  • Also, can Kai now debuff AoE damage even more!? Jeez I didn't even think of that horrifying possibility...

An all skill Kai will be very easy to kill. His 2nd ability is the one you really want to get off. Also if you are going against Kai, you already aren't planning on using AOE so I wouldn't imagine this changing much.
  • To be fair, I think Mangle and Furnace needed the nerf to Burn damage. Especially when Kai was on their team. Having Furnace deal thousands of points of damage as a TANK was just crazy. Mangle not as much, but the unavoidable fire damage to everyone every single turn could be a bit Op.

The post I never thought I'd have to make.

@Aura0fsmiles - I'm so sorry. Mangle was nerfed before kira.
    centralcommand
  • dvd54407dvd54407 Member
    So, Destruction runes... does the "Damage" stat mean anything anymore? Does that not affect things like burn damage, poison damage, etc. now?
    When using healing abilities is it the healer's or the target's skill stat that affects the amount of health?

Healer's Skill stat!
    Also, can Kai now debuff AoE damage even more!? Jeez I didn't even think of that horrifying possibility...

Yes he can, but like Matt said, at great personal cost. :)
    dvd54407 wrote: »
    So, Destruction runes... does the "Damage" stat mean anything anymore? Does that not affect things like burn damage, poison damage, etc. now?

It still works the same way it did before!
    @DB_Dillon appreciate you hanging around answering questions. :smile:
  • To be fair, I think Mangle and Furnace needed the nerf to Burn damage. Especially when Kai was on their team. Having Furnace deal thousands of points of damage as a TANK was just crazy. Mangle not as much, but the unavoidable fire damage to everyone every single turn could be a bit Op.

The post I never thought I'd have to make.

@Aura0fsmiles - I'm so sorry. Mangle was nerfed before kira.

Even DB agrees my mangle is too OP :(

• Does the change affect healing on epics like nub nub, yas, or Yorick.?
  • JaxBoomstickJaxBoomstick Member
    edited May 15
    We need the limits each skill can be pushed. There is too much to test otherwise and will take weeks upon weeks.

Alexandros' Damage Reflection

Aria's Attack / Defense passive stat boost.

Kobal's Disease impact.

Furnace's DR bonus.

Shade's DR Bonus

Astrid's Primary attack debuff

Pignius's Crit Bonus.

Ella's Dodge bonus for Demons.

Dagrund's Caster Spirit Buff.