Skins Improvement

I'm just going to jump into this but could we possibly get an improvement to the costume menu? Currently its two different options (no skin and skin).

I propose 2.5 changes.
#1 Is to have those boxes that displays x hero with their skin on and off have a horizontal line through it, and like an on/off switch for "epic" "no epic". We could choose whether to have that hero show their costume weapon or their epic weapon.

#1.5 on that same idea choosing "no epic" on your default skin could remove your epic. This would be helpful when you need to farm say Stonefist chills but your L12 epic keeps procing and killing every enemy.

#2 is a second skin. I know that not every hero even has one skin but it would be nice for those of us who don't like Ice Age IGOROK to have another option to flare him up or whatever.
This could introduce the option of 1"f2p" skin and 1 "pay to skin" maybe in a new VIP 5+ shop to give back to your VIP players?

Comments

• JackHallow666JackHallow666 Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    allanx wrote: »
    I'm just going to jump into this but could we possibly get an improvement to the costume menu? Currently its two different options (no skin and skin).

I propose 2.5 changes.
    #1 Is to have those boxes that displays x hero with their skin on and off have a horizontal line through it, and like an on/off switch for "epic" "no epic". We could choose whether to have that hero show their costume weapon or their epic weapon.

#1.5 on that same idea choosing "no epic" on your default skin could remove your epic. This would be helpful when you need to farm say Stonefist chills but your L12 epic keeps procing and killing every enemy.

#2 is a second skin. I know that not every hero even has one skin but it would be nice for those of us who don't like Ice Age IGOROK to have another option to flare him up or whatever.
    This could introduce the option of 1"f2p" skin and 1 "pay to skin" maybe in a new VIP 5+ shop to give back to your VIP players?

Skins take time and effort to make. You can't really just ask for every hero to suddenly have two skins. Also, Nitpick already has two skins! He has a Valentine's Day skin and an Archdemon skin. I think that's what it was called anyways... also I would don't think Epics should be removable, but I still would like to be able to hide them. I miss Nub's old staff. Perhaps a button to turn the effects of epics on/off, and a button to show/hide the Epic, so you could have the Epic look like it's there but not BE there, per say. However I think you ought to have the Epic visible for the effects to be turned on.

It would be really nice to see your Epic while having a skin equipped, but I'm curious as to how some would work, like Lupina's, Nitpick's, or IGOROK's. Sadly, all this is likely either too complicated to ever do, or complicated yet not impossible but also not on their priority list.

I think once DB gets all the bug fixes, balancing issues, and Rune mechanics mastered, we could really start seeing some QoL updates. Sadly though, I think there's more important things to do first, like make PvP more enjoyable and fair, finish the other half of Boss Mode, and balance older heroes and Epics (Yes, Epics. It seems even Epics are facing Power Creep, and newer Epics seem more and more powerful than older ones. Like Shade, who's Epic attack is basically his first ability. However Stonefist's and Auggie's weren't insane, so maybe they're going back towards balance. Still, Kobal, Nimrel, and Emily's Epics seem a bit lacking).
    Level: 70
    Favorite hero: Bovus
    Favorite element: Nature
    Currently: Trying to max out Epics
    Btw I forgot to add something earlier on when I started talking about Epics, but I think since Nitpick has 2 skins, it could possibly mean that all heroes will eventually have two skins - A holiday skin and a regular one - and for people who don't like either, perhaps once they're out of stuff to add and bugs to fix, they'll start making even more! But that's a long time from now, I'm sure. They'll probably give all skin-less heroes a skin before starting to give heroes 2 skins. Although I do have some ideas for skins they could make...
    edited May 15
    I actually also like the idea of "newbie" skins vs cooler skins for paying players. But I don't think making it VIP exclusive would be good. Also, there's been a lot of good skins people could do trials for, like right now, essentially making them free-to-play skins. Perhaps there could be "Boss Skins" for players willing to spend more, skins that would change how their voices sounded, change animations, look really cool, and even change how their abilities looked and sounded! Like... A robo-Julius skin that would make his voice sound robotic, change his animations to be all glitchy and sparatic, and make his barrel turn into a futuristic looking bomb, and make his Taunt turn on lights on his body, or make his Astounding Pounding do an animation where his fist just extends out of his arm and hits the enemy!

Sorry, I'm just a sucker for skins, and it's rare we get actual discussions on Skins and skin improvements!

Oh, and while we're on the topic of skin improvements, PLEASE fix Tomb Lord Zomm's eyes! He looks like he's blind! They're so... dusty looking! They didn't look that way on the event card when it came out! It's such a minor fix, pleeeease! I'd love to use the skin but I just can't while it looks so... so weird!
  • danacdanac Member

I think once DB gets all the bug fixes, balancing issues, and Rune mechanics mastered, we could really start seeing some QoL updates.

aaand that will be right about the time I 6* Aria.*

*Much, much, much later than soon[tm]
  • Alecat97Alecat97 Member
    I just want to say that IGOROK's skin is awsome
  • BarleymanBarleyman Member
    It's also a great shame that epic weapons are hidden by skins. They really didn't think that through.

Skins are very subjective. I like the ones that look like extra armor on a hero, like those of Bovus and Pignius. Not keen on the sillies and seasonals like Nitpick's cupid outfit or Santa Rogar. Torchy's skull outfit would look better without the go faster stripes. I think I have it but have never used it.

The fact that skins offer only temporary advantages at best also puts them lower on my wish list. Those I have acquired have come as much by accident as intent.

That said, I'm aiming to get the Phemus and Pignius skins this time, and Julius too if tokens allow. I don't like Julius's backpack spikes (what are they for?) and an chance to hide them might make me use him more.
    Barleyman wrote: »
    It's also a great shame that epic weapons are hidden by skins. They really didn't think that through.

Skins are very subjective. I like the ones that look like extra armor on a hero, like those of Bovus and Pignius. Not keen on the sillies and seasonals like Nitpick's cupid outfit or Santa Rogar. Torchy's skull outfit would look better without the go faster stripes. I think I have it but have never used it.

The fact that skins offer only temporary advantages at best also puts them lower on my wish list. Those I have acquired have come as much by accident as intent.

That said, I'm aiming to get the Phemus and Pignius skins this time, and Julius too if tokens allow. I don't like Julius's backpack spikes (what are they for?) and an chance to hide them might make me use him more.

It's likely Epics don't show with skins because of heroes like Lupina who's Epics are extensions of their bodies. Probably will be the same when heroes like Rocky or Hopper get their Epics too.

Skins aren't supposed to give you an advantage. That would make this game more Pay to Win than it already is. They're called skins, not buffs. It's surprising they have events that give heroes with skins buffs at all.

As for Julius' back spike... things, they appear to be bones. Judging by the shape they could be antlers, which were used to make a variety of tools, from arrowheads, to combs, to piercing tools used in making clothing. They could also be ribs, which are more used for musical purposes, which seems more likely given what Julius is and the nature of the game. Of course, they could just be a trophy of some huge beast he killed as well.
  • BarleymanBarleyman Member

It's likely Epics don't show with skins because of heroes like Lupina who's Epics are extensions of their bodies. Probably will be the same when heroes like Rocky or Hopper get their Epics too.

Skins aren't supposed to give you an advantage. That would make this game more Pay to Win than it already is. They're called skins, not buffs. It's surprising they have events that give heroes with skins buffs at all.

As for Julius' back spike... things, they appear to be bones. Judging by the shape they could be antlers, which were used to make a variety of tools, from arrowheads, to combs, to piercing tools used in making clothing. They could also be ribs, which are more used for musical purposes, which seems more likely given what Julius is and the nature of the game. Of course, they could just be a trophy of some huge beast he killed as well.

I'm not saying skins should give an advantage, just that since they don't they're not usually a priority for me to obtain.

In this event I can get the Phemus skin while doing what I'd do anyway so I might as well, and the only other thing I'd like to spend the event tickets on is the Krexx tokens, which I may still be able to get depending on how the next couple of days go. I use Pignius a lot in PvE, so the skin for him would be nice. If it was a silly skin (like Rogar's Santa or Stone Fist's snowman) I probably wouldn't bother.
    Barleyman wrote: »

I'm not saying skins should give an advantage, just that since they don't they're not usually a priority for me to obtain.

In this event I can get the Phemus skin while doing what I'd do anyway so I might as well, and the only other thing I'd like to spend the event tickets on is the Krexx tokens, which I may still be able to get depending on how the next couple of days go. I use Pignius a lot in PvE, so the skin for him would be nice. If it was a silly skin (like Rogar's Santa or Stone Fist's snowman) I probably wouldn't bother.

They're only silly cuz it's not the season. The Halloween and Christmas skins are really nice to use during their events. I just occasiobally switch on Kozar's Ugly Sweater skin from time to time because it's really satisfying to watch him pound enemies into the dirt with a Christmas tree. Shame his Home Run doesn't become a snowball with that skin though, or a giant ornament.
  • danacdanac Member

It's likely Epics don't show with skins because of heroes like Lupina who's Epics are extensions of their bodies.

I figured epics don't show on skins because they have to code the whole weapon over again onto the skin. That's certainly what's been implied.
    danac wrote: »

It's likely Epics don't show with skins because of heroes like Lupina who's Epics are extensions of their bodies.

I figured epics don't show on skins because they have to code the whole weapon over again onto the skin. That's certainly what's been implied.

And it would be even harder with heroes like Lupina, who's Epics are built to merge with their hero models... I can't imagine the ugly mess that would result from having Lupina's reindeer skin and her epic being meshed together at the same time.