Tower Variants: E, M, H, VH

Suggestion for a massive game improvement: make E, M, H, and VH variations of the tower that players can select from when starting a new tower.

Currently, new players have no chance of completing a tower, while veteran players find the tower way too easy and typically lose 0 heroes over the entire tower.

Of course the rewards would vary to some extent with the difficulty selected.
Tagged:

Comments

• sirtainlysirtainly Member
    Fiddling with the tower has proven a risky business. When attempts have been made, they have generally been met with broad uproar, and a few who are sufficiently talented and resourced to enjoy the challenge.

Changing the tower means disrupting a game staple. It would prove to be as game changing, perhaps even more, than pvp.

I urge caution. Once the changes start, who knows where they may lead?
  • But seriously, mindlessly blowing through the entire tower in under 9 minutes doesn't exactly present any entertainment value.

https://youtu.be/iK7d35CG-G4
  • JackHallow666JackHallow666 Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    The thing is, for as many people that find breezing through the tower boring, many others may love it. There's an area between tedious ad boring, and it depends on who's playing as to where they land on that spectrum. For me, the tower is easy, but not boring. It gives me a chance to use some of my weaker heroes and mess around with fun teams. The only other place I can really do that is PvE, but then it's not a challenge.

Point is, some people love the tower, some people hate it. I think such a change would most likely make more peope hate it, though.

I think it's supposed to be hard for newer players and easy for veterans. It's like a reward that takes forever to earn (leveling up your profile, heroes, and getting strong runes), but has a huge payoff (275 gems a day, forever),

I think it's fine as it is now, besides the occasional bug or two.
    Level: 70
    Favorite hero: Bovus
    Favorite element: Nature
    Currently: Trying to max out Epics
  • KangKang Member
    I love the idea! M could be the current setup and reward system, E could accommodate fresh lvl 28s, H could provide a greater challenge with greater rewards for those with the time and roster.
    edited May 29
    Although I don't agree on the idea, it's still interesting. Perhaps rewards could be like:
    Easy - 175 gems, 2-5 Yorick Tokens, a Monarch evo, some evo larvae, ~250k gold, 50 stamina
    Medium - 250 gems, 4-7 Yorick Tokens, a Celestial and Monarch evo, some evo larvae, ~500k gold, 70 stamina
    Hard - 325 gems, 6-10 Yorick Tokens, a Celestial evo, 3 Monarchs, some evos and evo larvae, ~825k gold, 90 stamina
    Very Hard - 425 gems, 9-16Yorick Tokens, 2 Celestial evos, 5 Monarchs, some evos, ~1.45M gold, 125 stamina

Of course, Very Hard would have to be tough even for top-tier players, perhaps even forcing veterans to go back to the old "sacrifice Tanks to burn enemy abilities" strategy. Very Hard tower floors wouldn't just pick hard PvP defenses, they'd spice em up a bit too!
    Post edited by JackHallow666 on
  • allanxallanx Member
    easy - 200 gems / evo or evo monarch / less yorick tokens / less gold +XP maybe to help the little guys level up
    all enemy teams are lower level than you and maybe even have a hero taken out?

medium - exactly what it is now

hard - 425 gems / common celestial guarantee and a chance for a monarch / more yorick tokens / more gold and stamina
    all enemy teams are Level 70. also any non-full ascended enemy heroes are FA

Very Hard - 600 gems / one common and one rare celestial evo guaranteed with rng for a 3rd random evo / many yorick tokens + 15 rng heroic tokens only on a full complete / 1m gold 100 stam
    all enemy teams are FA and blessed and have their runes from their original PVP defense

IF any changes to difficulties happen its CRUCIAL that the medium stays the same as the current tower we have now, that way;
    the elite can push further. (VH)
    the guys who are bored can have a challenge (H)
    the guys who are challenged now or barely beat the tower can keep their daily gems (M)
    and the guys who cant even dream of touching the tower can attempt it to get a smaller sum of daily gems and start progressing through DB (E)

either way im happy with the tower, its not very fun but the reward is worth wasting 10 minutes of my play time
    allanx wrote: »
    easy - 200 gems / evo or evo monarch / less yorick tokens / less gold +XP maybe to help the little guys level up
    all enemy teams are lower level than you and maybe even have a hero taken out?

medium - exactly what it is now

hard - 425 gems / common celestial guarantee and a chance for a monarch / more yorick tokens / more gold and stamina
    all enemy teams are Level 70. also any non-full ascended enemy heroes are FA

Very Hard - 600 gems / one common and one rare celestial evo guaranteed with rng for a 3rd random evo / many yorick tokens + 15 rng heroic tokens only on a full complete / 1m gold 100 stam
    all enemy teams are FA and blessed and have their runes from their original PVP defense

IF any changes to difficulties happen its CRUCIAL that the medium stays the same as the current tower we have now, that way;
    the elite can push further. (VH)
    the guys who are bored can have a challenge (H)
    the guys who are challenged now or barely beat the tower can keep their daily gems (M)
    and the guys who cant even dream of touching the tower can attempt it to get a smaller sum of daily gems and start progressing through DB (E)

either way im happy with the tower, its not very fun but the reward is worth wasting 10 minutes of my play time

Since 'hard' is only going to mean 'a bit harder than usual', 425 is way too much. That's a 150 increase for just a version of the tower than many high-end players will still be able to complete without breaking a sweat. And 600 for VH... just... no... I don't think the rewards should go over double of 275 (550) at all. Not that I don't want more gems, but people are already complaining enough about the whole 'rich getting richer' style that Dungeon Boss plays by.

With that said, I don't think players who have put in more effort should get the same amount of rewards back. Calling it a 'rich gets richer' style is really negative, and while technically true, it's still fair. However, when people talk about that, they mean PvP rewards. This is the ToP, something anyone can do, any time of day, with any team. It's basically 12 PvP raids, but you get to use ALL your heroes.

What I'm saying is that the ToP should be made to have difficulties so low-level players can get a foothold in climbing towards success, but the maximum reward (which would only be obtainable by the BEST players) should've give such a crazy reward that any new players joining won't ever have a shot at becoming one of the top players, because those top players are making 600+ gems a day for FREE.

And then of course, DB needs profits. Can't get people to buy gems if they hand out more than $4.99 worth of gems every day for free.
  • JaxtesJaxtes Member
    Or you could make it so easier tower gets more stuff. The weaker ones can catch up to top players. The entire player base upgrades to higher tier like that.
    Slowly ramping up the difficulties each day/week/month?
    Fruit for thought.
    Jaxtes wrote: »
    Or you could make it so easier tower gets more stuff. The weaker ones can catch up to top players. The entire player base upgrades to higher tier like that.
    Fruit for thought.

So.. reward the top players even less? I don't see how this makes sense at all. And if the Easy tower gives better stuff... can't the high-end players just use the easy version all the same?

This would just be unfair for everyone.
  • JaxtesJaxtes Member
    edited May 30
    Fruit for thought.

So.. reward the top players even less? I don't see how this makes sense at all. And if the Easy tower gives better stuff... can't the high-end players just use the easy version all the same?

And the original proposal isn't?

For a sense of accomplishment. Maybe add a achievement for that. Did VH tower 100 days continuously.

Yes the high-end can. But the lower ones can't do the other way around
  • JaxtesJaxtes Member
    You pay to increase the gap. Play to increase the gap. Soon new players will never catch up.
  • RocksorRocksor Member
    edited May 30
    Been playing the tower since the last week of March (currently level 35), and have had no issues with beating it daily. I can't face roll the tower, so it takes me roughly 20 minutes to complete it through manual play. I figure out ahead of time what you needed in your hero roster through research on this forum, like having multiple fast silence characters (torchy, indigo, rocky). I don't pay to play so it is possible for everyone to do this. Maybe because I'm such a slow leveler/casual player is the reason why I have a decent roster for the tower, and new players level so quickly that they don't have improved runes (through quests/drops) and fully ascended hero roster by the time they hit the tower.

I would rather the dev team focus on PVP improvement and the events than the tower.

Just this casual player's opinion.

• xandrew29xandrew29 Member
    But seriously, mindlessly blowing through the entire tower in under 9 minutes doesn't exactly present any entertainment value.

https://youtu.be/iK7d35CG-G4

Well, it does when you factor in the 275 gems. For me, that's always worth the 9 minutes, and I actually appreciate it as a resource rather than a challenge (also, I have way too much stamina, wish I could convert it to gold. Don't think I'm going through 3500 stamina unless there's an event dungeon that gives greater runes and I quick loot 350 times, lol).
    Fruit for thought.

For a sense of accomplishment. Maybe add a achievement for that. Did VH tower 100 days continuously.

So by that logic, we should award people who finish first in the Olympic with a little paper saying "Thanks for participating!" and give the gold medal to the guy who got last place.
  • echonapechonap Member
    I wouldn't mind seeing different tower difficulties with different payouts. Haven't been challenged by tower since the release of runes. Actually, it wasn't hard even before that, but runes make it ridiculously easy.
  • JaxtesJaxtes Member
    edited May 30
    That's it I made 2 funny posts on c
    Fruit for thought.

So by that logic, we should award people who finish first in the Olympic with a little paper saying "Thanks for participating!" and give the gold medal to the guy who got last place.

That's it, I made 2 funny posts on the ludicrous idea of comparing the Olympics to a mobile game like DB. The forums deleted them. If you consider both as having the same level of effort and support needed, I concede to you. Have a good day Sir/Madam.
    Fruit for thought.

That's it, I made 2 funny posts on the ludicrous idea of comparing the Olympics to a mobile game like DB. The forums deleted them. If you consider both on the same level as requiring the same effort and support needed, I concede to you. Have a good day Sir/Madam.

I get that's it's a crazy connection but still... what's your reasoning? How can you possibly think it's a good idea to reward players who have given more effort and play time and possibly money with less than players who just casually play an hour or so a day?

You think I'm making a ridiculous argument? That's what's funny
  • JaxtesJaxtes Member
    edited May 30
    Fruit for thought.

That's it, I made 2 funny posts on the ludicrous idea of comparing the Olympics to a mobile game like DB. The forums deleted them. If you consider both on the same level as requiring the same effort and support needed, I concede to you. Have a good day Sir/Madam.

I get that's it's a crazy connection but still... what's your reasoning? How can you possibly think it's a good idea to reward players who have given more effort and play time and possibly money with less than players who just casually play an hour or so a day?

You think I'm making a ridiculous argument? That's what's funny

It was a sarcastic way of saying its a pointless change and unfair to people who don't spend enough money on the game. DB is not as skill oriented as some of the other MMO's out there( WoW, SWTOR, WIldstar etc) what's there to reward? just increase the VIP perks in my opinion.
  • KangKang Member
    /begin off-topic ramble

@Jaxtes power creep is the typical mechanism for allowing players to catch-up---introduce very challenging content with slightly better rewards while making old content easier and more accessible.

DB does seem to be doing this via the event rewards (totem quest and now a 5 stam event dungeon with guaranteed greater mats). The question is, what will be the new aspirational content to compliment this shift?

/end off-topic ramble