Noobs First (Tower of Pwnage Challenge)

sirolk99sirolk99 Member
edited June 2 in Tower of Pwnage Talk
*** This is mostly for mid to low level players. However, high/maxed players, you're welcome to play too if you are bored/interested. :) ***

So I've decided to post this challenge to the DB community and see what you all think...
This is something I did when I first started running the tower (who knows, maybe you did too).

Give it a try tomorrow (or today if you haven't run the Tower yet) and let us know how far you got and what you think. Be free for a good half hour to do this.


Rules:
-Start with a fresh Tower of Pwnage run, scroll all the way down to the bottom and select the very weakest hero on the far right for Slot #1. Select the next weakest hero on the bottom, 1 to the left of previous hero for Slot #2. Repeat for Slots #3 and #4. Basically selecting the last 4 heroes at the bottom of the page.

-You CANNOT change your current rune setup for this challenge, leave them as is.

-You CANNOT strategize/deviate/change the hero order in any way from the rule listed above.

-Run the Tower, getting as far as you can with your team.

-If a hero dies between floors, select the next weakest hero (again all the way down to the bottom of the list and on the right) to replace the fallen hero(s) until you have a full roster again.

-Continue running the Tower, working your way up to your strongest heroes as the others slowly die off.

-The challenge ends when you either...
a) Defeat the Tower -or- b) You run out of heroes.


So...what do all think?
And post how far in the Tower you can get doing this.

Personally - last time I tried this got to either Floor 7 or 8.

Enjoy! :)
"The Bastion" - Officer - Level 70
http://bastion-db.boards.net/
Post edited by sirolk99 on

Comments

  • sirtainlysirtainly Member
    Hey I used to do that all the time leveling up, still do sometimes. Interesting how some groups of heroes seemed to last longer than others, made me think.

    Some heroes die in different order and some you level up, so there are changes from one tower to another.

    I either didn't know enough team synergies, didn't have the levels, or my brain was too tired to care. Just battled through.

  • sirolk99sirolk99 Member
    I like how it refreshes in your mind all your heroes as you use them. And sometimes you stumble across some cool hero combos.

    PS - Made it to Floor 9 tonight doing this challenge. :)
    "The Bastion" - Officer - Level 70
    http://bastion-db.boards.net/
  • xandrew29xandrew29 Member
    Cool idea. My top 4 can auto-run, but in this scenario, I'd only end up with 1 or 2 of them at a time until the very end.

    Also, is your hero order determined by battle power? I never understood the order that heroes were presented on the menu.
  • sirolk99sirolk99 Member
    I believe the heroes are sorted by total power, most powerful being listed first and continueing all the way down to the weakest heroes at the bottom.
    "The Bastion" - Officer - Level 70
    http://bastion-db.boards.net/
  • JackHallow666JackHallow666 Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    sirolk99 wrote: »
    I believe the heroes are sorted by total power, most powerful being listed first and continueing all the way down to the weakest heroes at the bottom.

    That's definitely not true, my Abigail is near the top left of my roster and my Zen is near the bottom right. Abigail barely had 2k hero power while Zen had well over 5k.
    Level: 70
    Favorite hero: Bovus
    Favorite element: Nature
    Currently: Trying to max out Epics
  • echonapechonap Member
    In the main hero page, I believe they are sorted by:
    1. status- unsummoned first, followed by summoned, followed by locked
    2. epics - epic levels do not count, this is just a binary sort. all heroes with epic appear at the top.
    3. stars - higher stars on top
    4. hero power - higher rp on top
    The Empire is recruiting.
  • xandrew29xandrew29 Member
    echonap wrote: »
    In the main hero page, I believe they are sorted by:
    1. status- unsummoned first, followed by summoned, followed by locked
    2. epics - epic levels do not count, this is just a binary sort. all heroes with epic appear at the top.
    3. stars - higher stars on top
    4. hero power - higher rp on top

    That's . . . confusing. I wish they'd allow you to sort heroes by different factors, like Power, Color, Alphabetically, etc. I hate hunting around for that 1 hero you're looking for to complete your eam, and they never seem to be in the same place!!
  • FatCat69FatCat69 Member
    Keep in mind, he's talking specifically about the main hero page.

    In the hero selection screens, the order is completely random and changes almost daily. And it's a different order for PVP, PVE, and Tower.

    And yes, it's been mentioned and complained about in the forums for years. Apparently having some sort of deterministic sorting algorithm for 70+ heroes is an NP hard problem and requires more computing power than both Google and AWS can provide at the moment. Check back in 2117.
  • sirolk99sirolk99 Member
    Well the basic sorting is by hero lvl, so if you've got heroes anywhere from lvl 67 down to lvl 55, it'll sort by level first. I always assumed for same lvl heroes it was then by power ranking, but it sounds like that's not the case. :(
    "The Bastion" - Officer - Level 70
    http://bastion-db.boards.net/
  • xandrew29xandrew29 Member
    FatCat69 wrote: »
    Keep in mind, he's talking specifically about the main hero page.

    In the hero selection screens, the order is completely random and changes almost daily. And it's a different order for PVP, PVE, and Tower.

    And yes, it's been mentioned and complained about in the forums for years. Apparently having some sort of deterministic sorting algorithm for 70+ heroes is an NP hard problem and requires more computing power than both Google and AWS can provide at the moment. Check back in 2117.

    haha, well said.
  • xandrew29xandrew29 Member
    sirolk99 wrote: »
    *** This is mostly for mid to low level players. However, high/maxed players, you're welcome to play too if you are bored/interested. :) ***

    So I've decided to post this challenge to the DB community and see what you all think...
    This is something I did when I first started running the tower (who knows, maybe you did too).

    Give it a try tomorrow (or today if you haven't run the Tower yet) and let us know how far you got and what you think. Be free for a good half hour to do this.


    Rules:
    -Start with a fresh Tower of Pwnage run, scroll all the way down to the bottom and select the very weakest hero on the far right for Slot #1. Select the next weakest hero on the bottom, 1 to the left of previous hero for Slot #2. Repeat for Slots #3 and #4. Basically selecting the last 4 heroes at the bottom of the page.

    -You CANNOT change your current rune setup for this challenge, leave them as is.

    -You CANNOT strategize/deviate/change the hero order in any way from the rule listed above.

    -Run the Tower, getting as far as you can with your team.

    -If a hero dies between floors, select the next weakest hero (again all the way down to the bottom of the list and on the right) to replace the fallen hero(s) until you have a full roster again.

    -Continue running the Tower, working your way up to your strongest heroes as the others slowly die off.

    -The challenge ends when you either...
    a) Defeat the Tower -or- b) You run out of heroes.


    So...what do all think?
    And post how far in the Tower you can get doing this.

    Personally - last time I tried this got to either Floor 7 or 8.

    Enjoy! :)

    FYI, I tried doing this, but starting at Floor 7. It's very very hard; you burn through a ton of heroes, and a solid healer floor (aka, Nub) with good attackers (see Nub, but add MK and Koros) will wipe out 3-4 waves of unruned heroes.

    I'm usually able to make it, but today, again only going floors 7-11 from the bottom up (it DOES sort by levels, and I only keep my main 10 or so heroes up to par (level 43), everyeone else is level 39 o rlower) I was down to my final 8 heroes before finishing off Floor 11.

    I can't imagine you'll make it all the way to the top otherwise. You need at least a few bait heroes to take out the at least 4 MKs you see, otherwise whole teams are going up in smoke. That MK Koros floor roasted nearly 20 heroes itself; factoring Voodoo Chant and Siphoning rampage, it was almost impossible to make headway until I got to my runed heroes.
  • sirolk99sirolk99 Member
    Yeah I've never beat the Tower this way, just something different to try.
    "The Bastion" - Officer - Level 70
    http://bastion-db.boards.net/
  • xandrew29xandrew29 Member
    sirolk99 wrote: »
    Yeah I've never beat the Tower this way, just something different to try.

    May I also point out how absolutely miserable it is getting caught in a Cobressa loop? She gained 6 energy/turn and self-healed with Acid Spit (she gets healing for venom added and energy for dealing damage to envenomed opponents). I finally stopped healing and decided to just put it on auto battle to kill my heroes.

    Except it was down to Yasmin vs. Cobressa, and my Yasmin has all defensive runes.

    Know what happened?

    Yas' self-healing each turn out-healed Cobressa's Acid Spit, but since Cobressa could acid spit every other turn (alternating with Serpent spear) I was stuck in a never-ending loop because of the girls' healing abilities and had to retreat.

    That was the most miserable Tower experience I've ever had.
  • RocksorRocksor Member
    xandrew29 wrote: »
    sirolk99 wrote: »
    Yeah I've never beat the Tower this way, just something different to try.

    May I also point out how absolutely miserable it is getting caught in a Cobressa loop? She gained 6 energy/turn and self-healed with Acid Spit (she gets healing for venom added and energy for dealing damage to envenomed opponents). I finally stopped healing and decided to just put it on auto battle to kill my heroes.

    Except it was down to Yasmin vs. Cobressa, and my Yasmin has all defensive runes.

    Know what happened?

    Yas' self-healing each turn out-healed Cobressa's Acid Spit, but since Cobressa could acid spit every other turn (alternating with Serpent spear) I was stuck in a never-ending loop because of the girls' healing abilities and had to retreat.

    That was the most miserable Tower experience I've ever had.

    Man, you should have just let it auto-run for 1 hour and see if it was a stalemate.

  • sirolk99sirolk99 Member
    xandrew29 wrote: »
    May I also point out how absolutely miserable it is getting caught in a Cobressa loop? She gained 6 energy/turn and self-healed with Acid Spit (she gets healing for venom added and energy for dealing damage to envenomed opponents). I finally stopped healing and decided to just put it on auto battle to kill my heroes.

    Except it was down to Yasmin vs. Cobressa, and my Yasmin has all defensive runes.

    Know what happened?

    Yas' self-healing each turn out-healed Cobressa's Acid Spit, but since Cobressa could acid spit every other turn (alternating with Serpent spear) I was stuck in a never-ending loop because of the girls' healing abilities and had to retreat.

    That was the most miserable Tower experience I've ever had.

    Ouch, that would have driven me crazy. But yeah, would have been interesting to see what would have happened after an hour long autorun.
    "The Bastion" - Officer - Level 70
    http://bastion-db.boards.net/
  • xandrew29xandrew29 Member
    Rocksor wrote: »
    xandrew29 wrote: »
    sirolk99 wrote: »
    Yeah I've never beat the Tower this way, just something different to try.

    May I also point out how absolutely miserable it is getting caught in a Cobressa loop? She gained 6 energy/turn and self-healed with Acid Spit (she gets healing for venom added and energy for dealing damage to envenomed opponents). I finally stopped healing and decided to just put it on auto battle to kill my heroes.

    Except it was down to Yasmin vs. Cobressa, and my Yasmin has all defensive runes.

    Know what happened?

    Yas' self-healing each turn out-healed Cobressa's Acid Spit, but since Cobressa could acid spit every other turn (alternating with Serpent spear) I was stuck in a never-ending loop because of the girls' healing abilities and had to retreat.

    That was the most miserable Tower experience I've ever had.

    Man, you should have just let it auto-run for 1 hour and see if it was a stalemate.

    I did it for 10 minutes. By the end of 10 minutes, both Yas and Cobressa had full health. Cobressa hit for about 400 damage each turn and Yas healed for 500. Yas hit for 500 and Cobressa healed for 3,000. Round and round and round and round and round . . . . stupid passives . . . .
  • Aura0fsmilesAura0fsmiles Member
    edited July 8
    Too many heroes lol.
    Even with runes on Maybe 20 of them.
    I finish using only autorun and touch less than half the roster.

    Try a solo hero challenge.
    Finished hopper. Ponti keeps dieing on floor 9...

Sign In or Register to comment.

© 2015 Big Fish Games. Inc., Big Fish, the Big Fish logo, and Dungeon Boss are
trademarks of Big Fish Games, Inc., used with permission www.bigfishgames.com