Hero Spotlight: Ferno the Dragon

Comments

• kalamadeakalamadea Member
    edited June 30
    I've calmed down (a bit) from yesterday - but here's the synopsis.

He's a dragon that has no Armor (no synergy with his "best friend Bauble").
    He's a caster that's not Mystical (no +dmg to tanks/slow).
    He's a dragon that isn't Magical (no reduced dmg from magic attacks).

In short, he's another normal speed hero that is MK food unless you drop full DR on him - and then he has no damage and provides nothing to the team outside of a much weaker variation of Kai's Surf's Up that happens to ignore Shade's Dark Shroud / Construct debuff immunity. And even then Shade laughs at him before killing him with Haunted Past and Furnace doesn't care because he's not doing any damage when he taunts.

Now compare that to Shade:

1. Fast
    2. Immune to Taunt
    3. Magical
    4. Fear Immune
    5. Mystical
    6. Gives Dark Heroes debuff immunity + DR

• sirolk99sirolk99 Member
    So PvP worthless, but might be fun to take around in PvE. Just another hero to collect, if you gotta have them all. :(
  • FatCat69FatCat69 Member
    Just the opposite. PVP is what makes this hero interesting.
    edited June 30
    For comedy - use Choking Smoke - watch it be dodged.

**Choking Smoke reduces Dodge chance by 55% @ lvl 70 (assuming it hits....)**

Know all those fast bats in PVE? The ones that love to cast evasion on the first turn and are a pain to kill? I thought, oh, I have a clever way to kill them, I'll use Ferno and use his Choking Smoke to reduce their dodge and kill them. Heh. FatCat chance of that.

• I've been having a blast running ferno with bauble and furnace in pvp. That wildfire gets crazy after a few turns. Still, he is way too squishy even with maxed DR runes to face high-powered fast toons. Perhaps an epic to boost his defense and make him more worthy of the VIP title?
  • oredithoredith Member
    PharmBoss wrote: »
    I've been having a blast running ferno with bauble and furnace in pvp. That wildfire gets crazy after a few turns. Still, he is way too squishy even with maxed DR runes to face high-powered fast toons. Perhaps an epic to boost his defense and make him more worthy of the VIP title?
    you would think that a hero that (at least appears to be?) is suppose to be the hard counter to fast AOE heroes wiping out your team, would be a lot more effective at it?

although, given the track record, i would not be surprised if the "problem" is that the SIGNIFICANT REDUCED ATTACK is reducing the attack off of the player's base attack value, rather than the rune-augmented attack value.
    soon™ - it's the answer to everything
  • edited June 30
    kalamadea wrote: »
    For comedy - use Choking Smoke - watch it be dodged.

**Choking Smoke reduces Dodge chance by 55% @ lvl 70 (assuming it hits....)**

Know all those fast bats in PVE? The ones that love to cast evasion on the first turn and are a pain to kill? I thought, oh, I have a clever way to kill them, I'll use Ferno and use his Choking Smoke to reduce their dodge and kill them. Heh. FatCat chance of that.

That's actually really funny but they definitely should fix that. Choking smoke is comically useless if it has to hit to reduce dodge. If his basic reduced dodge on hit then I'd understand that. You use a lot of basic attacks so its likely one will hit and then each hit continues to increase the likelihood of hit. But to wait for that to recharge and then just have it dodged... Yea that's pretty dumb, good catch.

Also I am highly enjoying my ferno in PVP as well @PharmBoss. Got a couple teams I'm toying around with and have been refreshing to find 5k+ rune teams to test them out on, going very successfully so far. Couple notes:
    • @kalamadea he has mystical... Maybe that was added with that update an hour ago?
    • I have no idea why he doesn't have magical. He's a caster dragon, seems pretty magical to me. And I really really wish he had it. Without that magical the best shades will definitely wax him, debuff or not. Even with max DR, they're too strong. Maybe if both your aegis's also had + 10% DR vs. caster, sadly I am not that lucky with my crafting. He's the only caster without Magical right? I assume this must've been an intentional call worked out with the MFG, any chance of an explanation why? Considered too good that way?
    • Wildfire is the stuff of nightmares. Burns away buffs AND it spreads? I really like it. It's not an immediate victory but it sure helps you win by turn 2 or 3. Totally demolishes Lily too if ferno lives and gets to throw it on her, so much for growing.

[EDIT] Just answered my own question above - he is not the only caster without magical. Kobal doesn't have it either, possibly others. Seems odd that casters don't just have it but oh well, guess its case by case.
    Post edited by CentralCommand on
    centralcommand
  • kalamadea wrote: »
    Perhaps a future Dragon team will make it's debut and he'll sync up with them.

Wouldn't get too excited about a "Dragon" family. Plants have been out a while and we have a whopping 2 (one a retread convert).
  • So this is a legit question if anyone has actually tested this out yet.pkaop9bdzlv8.jpg
    Beware dirt everywhere of your doom, for I am Life Reaper Broom
  • oredithoredith Member
    So this is a legit question if anyone has actually tested this out yet.
    pretty sure it's' tested and confirmed that wildfire > shroud.

i haven't personally done it though. mine is only 1a and would be insta-fodder if i took it into battle.
    edited July 5
    @CentralCommand - as of yesterday he did NOT have mystical -

Small buff that's much needed - hate the stealth patch process DB is using lately @Joel

A small post stating "Ferno just hatched and didn't realize his full potential until now (now has Mystical passive)" would have been nice

So now he's a bit better against slow heros (rarely used) and tanks - it's a step in the right direction.

Now pick a tag - Magical or Armored (or both like Emily) so he doesn't die so **** easily and maybe he'll be worth a place. (Please)

@oredith - I pretty sure Wildfire does NOT remove Dark Shroud - Aerial Superiority does circumvent Shroud and Construct since it's a "buff"
    Post edited by kalamadea on

Basically I'm pvping with Ferno accepting that I will lose - thankfully the rune for this season is complete trash so I don't care about my league ranking

• BiffBiff Member
    So, for those of us that aren't VIP 5, but have enough tokens from the event to unlock: should we unlock? Considering it might be a LONG time before we get access?
  • FatCat69FatCat69 Member
    edited July 2
    I would. I did.

Shade took 7+ months before he fell from grace and he was very useful in that time. Plus I was able to get him to 5*, via other quests and tokens in Bounty Events.
  • echonapechonap Member
    I'm planning to unlock Ferno once I get 100 tokens. Stars mean so little now, that it's not worth it to hold back for a heroic unlock. Sure, you gain 75 tokens for waiting, but there's missed opportunity cost too. And the longer he is VIP, the higher that cost.
  • BarleymanBarleyman Member
    echonap wrote: »
    I'm planning to unlock Ferno once I get 100 tokens. Stars mean so little now, that it's not worth it to hold back for a heroic unlock. Sure, you gain 75 tokens for waiting, but there's missed opportunity cost too. And the longer he is VIP, the higher that cost.

Agreed, Shade at 3* was a lot more useful than no Shade at 3*. Most heroes are easy enough to get tokens for once you start building Aether, but you won't know if you really want to focus on Ferro unless you've given him a good tryout.
  • danacdanac Member
    Barleyman wrote: »

Agreed, Shade at 3* was a lot more useful than no Shade at 3*.

I dunno. There are lots of times when I'm hoping for no Shade at 3* when I raid.
  • JackHallow666JackHallow666 Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator

Small buff that's much needed - hate the stealth patch process DB is using lately @Joel

A small post stating "Ferno just hatched and didn't realize his full potential until now (now has Mystical passive)" would have been nice

So now he's a bit better against slow heros (rarely used) and tanks - it's a step in the right direction.

Now pick a tag - Magical or Armored (or both like Emily) so he doesn't die so **** easily and maybe he'll be worth a place. (Please)

@oredith - I pretty sure Wildfire does NOT removes Dark Shroud - Aerial Superiority does circumvent Shroud and Construct since it's a "buff"

I'm fine with him not being Armored or Magical. That way Koros doesn't one-shot him.
    Level: 70
    Favorite hero: Bovus
    Favorite element: Nature
    Currently: Trying to max out Epics

@oredith - I pretty sure Wildfire does NOT removes Dark Shroud - Aerial Superiority does circumvent Shroud and Construct since it's a "buff"

I'm fine with him not being Armored or Magical. That way Koros doesn't one-shot him.

It's a fair point that giving him Magical would make Koros do extra damage. But Armored would only help his poor survivability, I don't see anything in Koros' skill set that gives him bonus damage to armored. Three out of four of Koros' skills are physical damage (inc his basic attack), which armored would help with. @Eej

• JackHallow666JackHallow666 Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator

It's a fair point that giving him Magical would make Koros do extra damage. But Armored would only help his poor survivability, I don't see anything in Koros' skill set that gives him bonus damage to armored. Three out of four of Koros' skills are physical damage (inc his basic attack), which armored would help with. @Eej

True, but he's clearly not wearing armor. Perhaps an ability called Dragon Scales that acts like Armored (and would let Therand deal extra damage... oh no...) but also grant something extra, maybe 25% resistance to all elemental effects except Burn??
    Level: 70
    Favorite hero: Bovus
    Favorite element: Nature
    Currently: Trying to max out Epics

True, but he's clearly not wearing armor. Perhaps an ability called Dragon Scales that acts like Armored (and would let Therand deal extra damage... oh no...) but also grant something extra, maybe 25% resistance to all elemental effects except Burn??

Yea.. I don't see Therand as a threat to Ferno.. ever. But I am intrigued by the new hero or update to a hero family with the "Dragon Slayer" passive dealing increased damage to dragons.

Goblins? Demons? Dwarves?

• dvd54407dvd54407 Member
    Need some clarity on the wildfire spread... the descriptions see to contradict themselves:

WILDFIRE BREATH – Ranged flame attack on a single target, dealing heavy damage, and burning the target with Wildfire. Characters burning from Wildfire cannot have buffs applied to them, and if killed, the Wildfire will spread to a random alive enemy.

However, the Wildfire Burn description that was given states: "... when a hero with a Wildfire Burn dies, they have a chance to spread the Wildfire ..."

So which is it? Does it have a CHANCE, or WILL it?
  • danacdanac Member
    dvd54407 wrote: »
    Need some clarity on the wildfire spread... the descriptions see to contradict themselves:

WILDFIRE BREATH – Ranged flame attack on a single target, dealing heavy damage, and burning the target with Wildfire. Characters burning from Wildfire cannot have buffs applied to them, and if killed, the Wildfire will spread to a random alive enemy.

However, the Wildfire Burn description that was given states: "... when a hero with a Wildfire Burn dies, they have a chance to spread the Wildfire ..."

So which is it? Does it have a CHANCE, or WILL it?

Pretty sure it's a chance based off skill.
    Not 100% on this, but my 4* Flappy was having a hard time applying Wildfire with his attacks. iirc, this also applied to spreading.

oredith wrote: »
    So this is a legit question if anyone has actually tested this out yet.
    pretty sure it's' tested and confirmed that wildfire > shroud.

In case people haven't seen this addressed elsewhere,
    Wildfire doesn't not remove Shroud and cannot apply through Shroud. Shroud wins.
    Been confirmed by multiple reliable people, and also me.
  • oredithoredith Member
    danac wrote: »
    pretty sure it's' tested and confirmed that wildfire > shroud
    In case people haven't seen this addressed elsewhere,
    Wildfire doesn't not remove Shroud and cannot apply through Shroud. Shroud wins.
    Been confirmed by multiple reliable people, and also me.
    yup, i should have updated my post after testing it myself.
  • dvd54407dvd54407 Member
    Has Aerial Superiority's "significantly reduced ATK" been quantified yet? Are we talking 50%, 75%, base X% + skill adjustment?
  • oredithoredith Member
    Has Aerial Superiority's "significantly reduced ATK" been quantified yet? Are we talking 50%, 75%, base X% + skill adjustment?
    while i would like to know the answer too, I have come to accept the fact that maybe exact numbers aren't necessary.

consider that you will not know exactly how much your opponent's attack power is anyway, what would knowing the reduced ATK % matter? it should be enough to know that it's enough that what would normally 1 shot you, will no longer do so.
  • danacdanac Member
    while i would like to know the answer too, I have come to accept the fact that maybe exact numbers aren't necessary.

consider that you will not know exactly how much your opponent's attack power is anyway, what would knowing the reduced ATK % matter? it should be enough to know that it's enough that what would normally 1 shot you, will no longer do so.

Oh, it's much more than that. I don't know the numbers, but wouldn't a Koros with 50% attack still do major damage? The way people have him runed?

Put Flappy in, Koros and Viperia barely scratch opponents, and MK is less effective than a normal BD.
    I'd like to know what sort of attack reduction does that, but you're right that barring quanitfication, "A whole [expeltive del]load" is a sufficient answer.
  • edited July 6

You realize he heals off of koro's first move right? Fire moves do no damage to him. So double the damage from koros just equals double the healing on turn 1. Unless they really REALLY want to kill him and are willing to forgo Koros's primary move just to do a basic attack on Ferno.

Pretty comfortable with this trade.
    centralcommand
  • kuyaigskuyaigs Member
    on aerial superiority, i'm not sure if this is a bug or not but if ferno dies before he gets to take his turn the debuff does not go away by the time my next normal hero goes. this has cost me a few raids already
  • kuyaigs wrote: »
    on aerial superiority, i'm not sure if this is a bug or not but if ferno dies before he gets to take his turn the debuff does not go away by the time my next normal hero goes. this has cost me a few raids already

Yup, noticed that today too, except I benefited from it.

My Ferno was last place as an attacker, but was killed before he could go. Hopper stomped him away yet the defending team still had the icon above them. It seemed like they were doing less damage too so I assume that debuff (or whatever you want to call it since Constructs are affected too) was still there.