Reduce Damage from Monster 8%

May I just clarify, this week's extra special reward for all our hard work in PvP to get to Legend level is an rune with the above, 8% damage reduction from monsters.

As I understand it, this is worse than plain 8% damage reduction as it only works against monsters. Damage reduction is far worse than adding damage, as only the hero with the rune is benefiting.

There are five player character monsters in the game, Hopper, Koros, Mangle Jaw, Phemus, and Phenol.

Of these the first two are the only ones commonly used in PvP (at least at the level where you're going to earn the rune).

8% off Koros's potential damage, if you let him live, is just a question of how crispy you want your chicken, burnt or smoking.

So this rune grants a very slight benefit for one hero against Hopper. Oh, and it's a dark rune, so it can't be used on Light heroes like Masuta Kira.

Is this a really pointless rune, or did I completely miss something?

Comments

• when something is burnt, it's smoking

I think you meant burnt, or vaporized

}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{
    }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{
    Bow to the god of Kung Pao Chikken or have your dungeon raided
  • edited August 18
    Barleyman wrote: »
    May I just clarify, this week's extra special reward for all our hard work in PvP to get to Legend level is an rune with the above, 8% damage reduction from monsters.

As I understand it, this is worse than plain 8% damage reduction as it only works against monsters. Damage reduction is far worse than adding damage, as only the hero with the rune is benefiting.

There are five player character monsters in the game, Hopper, Koros, Mangle Jaw, Phemus, and Phenol.

Of these the first two are the only ones commonly used in PvP (at least at the level where you're going to earn the rune).

8% off Koros's potential damage, if you let him live, is just a question of how crispy you want your chicken, burnt or smoking.

So this rune grants a very slight benefit for one hero against Hopper. Oh, and it's a dark rune, so it can't be used on Light heroes like Masuta Kira.

Is this a really pointless rune, or did I completely miss something?

Its almost strictly worse then the variant with dmg red vs. rogue yea. The only thing I could think of was valkin since he is tasked with tanking koros hits at times. Could probably get a build together with that in valkin's dark slot.

Personally I'm stopping at legend 1 because the rune is not worth the effort of boss 100. However that is mainly because I have a bunch of the better def, def, att, dmg red vs. rogue dark champs already. For anyone that doesn't have a bunch of those this rune is good. Not because of the monster part, just because it's a better bulwark since it has def def attack. The stats are still good, just the 4th ability is worse then the previous offering in nearly all cases.
    centralcommand
  • Its almost strictly worse then the variant with dmg red vs. rogue yea. The only thing I could think of was valkin since he is tasked with tanking koros hits at times. Could probably get a build together with that in valkin's dark slot.

Personally I'm stopping at legend 1 because the rune is not worth the effort of boss 100. However that is mainly because I have a bunch of the better def, def, att, dmg red vs. rogue dark champs already. For anyone that doesn't have a bunch of those this rune is good. Not because of the monster part, just because it's a better bulwark since it has def def attack. The stats are still good, just the 4th ability is worse then the previous offering in nearly all cases.

Ah, so as I though the reduce monster damage angle is pretty useless, but I hadn't thought of the double defense benefit. Thanks for the insight.

As I'm still building my Superior rune arsenal I bought it and put it on Astrid. I don't use her much in PvP but need to boost her defense for obvious reasons.
  • I can think of a few fourth stats that might be worse. Vs dwarf or elf or goblin for example. Anyone who isn't really present in pvp.
  • This rune has a few niche uses:
    Astrid to survive Koros with the help of Ferno. She already takes 1 damage from Hopper, so it doesn't count.
    Ember and Ferno for a little extra survivability against Hopper and Koros.

In all other cases, this passive isn't as good as the DR rogue one. However, it is still a unique stat combo, which makes it desirable without the passive.