Help for a newbie

I'm a new player, and just unlocked the Tower yesterday. From what I am reading on the forums here (it's tough because there's SO MUCH to read), it seems like there's two approaches: pair up teams based on matchups against each team on each lvl, or pair up teams based on traits that the characters have that can work with each other.

Can someone help me understand which approach is the better approach to going deeper on the Tower? I'm currently at lvl 29, all of my heroes are at least lvl 28, and it would help if people can use language that isn't "trendy, DB language." The simpler, the better so I can understand you as you're trying to help.

Thanks SO much for the help!

Also, if it would help people give advice specifically, here's what I'm working with after 2 weeks of playing:

3 stars:
Shade
Igorok
Koros
Astrid
Lady Nim
Indigo
Phenol
Lord Valkin
Dagrund
Samurai Takumi

2 stars:
Willow
Shadowblade
Nubnub
Yasmin
Stoney
Bovus
Stonecrusher
Emily
Overlord Executum
Fiddlestrom
Ekko
Mangle Jaw
Rocky

1 star:
Sir William
Selwyn
Tsume
Phemus
Nitpick
Zurk
Squinch

(Yes, I have had an insane run of luck in the Heroic portals, but now I'm not sure how to use what I have to go deep in the tower. All of my 3-star heroes are not ascended at all)

Comments

• Well first of all... Try to ascend them, quick loot dungeons to get celestial evos (although i noticed that recently the drop rate got really low). Use runes and upgrade them to power up your heroes (it seems like alot of complicated work but it actually very simple and usefull. lvl 28 runed up hero could be equal power to a 33 none runed hero) and mostly PRACTICE, search for deadly combination, know your enemy hero, his strenghs and weaknesses, and always try to get upgrated, dont rush to lvl up... Try to really make a quality squad from all of your heroes (i am now lvl 57 and i use half of my heroes to bait special abillities from strong heroes in the tower :(
    Hope it helped.
  • Get improved runes from events at a minimum. Farm the current event dungeon for green improved runes. It's going to be difficult for you to create teams that have characters that enhance each other without full ascension. Currently, you'll need at least 3 healers to get through the tower. You need to ascend Yasmin fully. I suggest you try getting torchy since he is a simple silencer to ascend. You can get tokens for him in the honor portal.
  • Thanks everyone!