First Guild Boss Invasion This Thursday - Info Here!

1235»

Comments

• Joel wrote: »
    Alright folks, things are getting a little heated here. Please keep your comments constructive.

How to build a house:
    First a solid foundation is essential.

You'll need a good shovel....

• Rocksor wrote: »
    sirtainly wrote: »
    I only ended up with 96 Solaris tokens because of life commitments that didn't give me the time for the fliers quest each day. I accept that as my own choice, but I'm worried when more Solaris tokens will be available.

Were you able to get 1000 event tickets? 10 tokens are available to purchase (max 5 times purchase) for Solaris in the Shop.

Yes, thanks, that's where 50 of mine came from. I originally intended to get 50 out of the fliers but something more important came up at the last minute (again, my choice, not complaining.)
  • I didn't really like this boss event, it was very difficult, & being at a level 70 I didn't perform like I think I should've. I know I probably sound like I'm whining, but this is just my opinion of this event. Other events, I do rather well, but not this one.
    Thanks for listening
  • Overall I was pretty happy with the event. I got what I felt were rewards worth the effort and gems I put in.

I was though a bit disappointed in some aspects. I thought this was going to be a fresh new battle type, instead it was just more dungeons to grind.

Also, Admittedly I may be biased because my guild constantly came up 10 points short of unlocking the defensive bonus, but I don't at all see the point of making the dungeons easy for only the few guilds that are most likely to be made up of the folks that frequently ask for more of a challenge.

If anything I'd say it should have gone the other way I.e. We all start with the defense bonus, then the few guilds that hit 875k have it turned off and start competing in a MORE challenging environment.
  • KangKang Member
    edited September 19

1) Cap the Guild Points at the max reward level (1.75M), like crowns and other non-rival events are. I loved the laid-back cooperative nature behind this event concept and think a cap would re-enforce this.

2) Event Dungeons:
    a) Challenge Level: Many players have a Formula One quality roster and are forced to drive their team in a neighborhood with a speed limit of 25MPH and stops signs (i.e. the typical weekly event dungeons); the extra challenge allowed many of us to test the limit of our developed rosters. I think the challenge level could be cranked up even more in the future :)
    b) Rewards: the difficulty of the dungeon did not increase individual rewards, which was a bit disappointing. Better runes and more tickets are a couple options. Also, consider adding materials to the drop tables -- these can improve in quantity and/or quality with dungeon difficulty.
    c) Advanced Mechanics: Consider making part of the challenge a hidden mechanic--e.g. a team boss that requires the enemies to be killed in a specific order or 4 bosses that only take damage from one element type or physical attacks requiring a special mix of heroes.
    d) Sparklies: everyone loves looking for sparklies on their repeated runs and having jackpot sparklies, even if they're rare, makes things much more interesting.

3) I liked that max rewards did not require a 100% opt-in from all guild members. We were able to complete all of our objectives while 10-ish of our members were on vacation or buried in work without having to swap members in and out.

4) The ticket to gold conversion was just silly. 50 gold per ticket means 500 gold per an event run--at that rate it would take a mere 500 runs to upgrade a legendary rune from level 25 to 26.

@Eej @Joel I just want to reiterate that this was an excellent event that could be improved with a few tweaks. Players will complain when challenging content is released and threaten to quit. Afterwards they will examine their strategies and rosters and look for ways to improve so they can clear the content next time around. Without aspirational content getting great gear only seems mildly rewarding.
    Post edited by Kang on
  • You already have a lot of constructive feedback (for example Kang above here wrote good points), anyway more feedback can't hurt :)

Overall good for a completely new event, several new well thought concepts have been introduced, a few negative points, with some tuning it could be great.

More in detail:
    "Objectively good points"
    The mechanics that completing some quests or buying some items can give a small bonus to your guildmates. It improves the feeling of cooperation.
    The new hero, it expands the mechanic of corpse/resurrection (possibly changing the meta), it has strong synergies and it is cool.
    New runes.
    The idea of having 4 event doungeons, 3 with scaling difficult and scaling guild points rewards and one runnable with stamina. Implementation... read more below.
    The idea that points are given by rooms cleared and not only at dungeon completion.
    The idea that doing an "easy" repeatable quest could give the whole guild a bonus to help weaker player go through the harder dungeons. Implementation... read more much below.

"Subjectively good points" (I'm lvl 70, I play maybe 1-2h daily, mostly greater runes, pvp always end somewhere in legend, I'm VIP3 mostly to support the game because I like it and not because I felt the real need to buy something)
    The focus was on cooperation, even rewards weren't based on guild ranking but on thresholds. I like competition, but it's good to change sometime. A point cap like Kang suggested could be good.
    The idea and implementation of courage. I like that it doesn't require stocking like stamina to be optimal. I like that it carries over through the days, you get more daily and from quests. The amount was limited but certanly enough to keep me busy. Hardcore players could buy more with gems (I didn't).
    The event shop had many interesting offers for gems/$$$. Sure someone probably dislike the solaris unlock for $$$ but DB obviously needs to capitalize on the work gone in the event. I regret not buying the ferno tokens. The superior runes were very tempting too, the 4th stat wasn't amazing and with those gems I can craft 1.5 - 2 superior runes so I haven't taken them but they were a worth option anyway.
    The implementation of the dungeons: (I'm referring to first 2 as my guild didn't unlock the 3rd) were challenging without being overwhelming. I often had to use potions or call friends and once I almost failed one (when I let shade posses my koros and had to finish without him). I suspect that many players found the dungeons too hard. Of course it's impossible to balance them to make everybody happy but maybe the first one could have been made a bit easier to give a chance to weaker players.

"Subjectively bad"
    The final reward gaps were too big. The guild I'm in, despite being a 10k crown guild, got only around 250k. Initially I was hoping that we'll have a shot at the rune but we were very far. It also became soon obvious that we were not going to reach the 470k mark, so I think we also lost motivation. I know that if the targets are too easy the top guilds will be bored, but also considering that was the first event of this type you could have set the targets lower to make more people happy. At some lower threshold you could have awarded some materials, some celestial evos or medium runes (both great for non-top players), even a corrupted heart (for example at 470k or something like that).
    Solaris model is fat. I have nothing against fat beings, fat ogres would be perfectly fine, ferno is debatable but kind of funny, but solaris?!? A fat phoenix? Load screen = good, model = bad.

"Objectively bad points"
    The 1200 kills per day grind. Ok the tokens rewarded were nice but come on it was way too much kills with way too little variety. 100 instead of 120 per quest, with fire heroes day 1, beasts day 2 and flyers day 3 (so solaris would always qualify) would have been still grindy but much more decent. Only the most dedicated guilds got the def bonus and they didn't need it anyway.
    The rewards for tickets gained through runs. The gold was a complete joke. The materials were really little considering the 500 tickets required quite a lot of dedication. Everything else could be attained only by spending massive amount of gems on courage.
    The graphic overview of the guild progress (as mentioned by Danac in a similar topic) and the graphic shown at the end of each run, they were looking "cheap" and not matching much with the game style.
  • I like the change up on the grind quest from flyers, fire, and beasts each day.

• Kang wrote: »
    @Eej @Joel I just want to reiterate that this was an excellent event that could be improved with a few tweaks. Players will complain when challenging content is released and threaten to quit. Afterwards they will examine their strategies and rosters and look for ways to improve so they can clear the content next time around. Without aspirational content getting great gear only seems mildly rewarding.

This is true to an extent (we all want challenging content), but it also kinda glosses over the scaling issue, and how it might not affect all players the same. It's not possible for some players without advanced rosters to make the necessary improvements before the end of the day or the end of the event. Solving these issues post-mortem in hopes that it'll lead to success in the next event is kinda pointless because the next event will use different heroes and approaches. Overall, the goal of the game is continue to get better; we don't need an event to knock our faces in the dirt to motivate us to strive to get better.

There are many players (myself included) that could not complete the Shade dungeon (forget about 3-starring it) or complete the third dungeon because the scaling seems to assume all level 70 players have maxed epics and high-level runes. I am a fairly new level 70 player, and I was consistently wrecked by these dungeons. It made for a very frustrating event.

That said, I have a level 66 alt, with a far INFERIOR roster to my level 70 main account, and I had a much better experience on that account. I wasn't able to beat the last dungeon, but I could at least play without just getting destroyed.
  • Fairly new Lvl70 player also, and I got powned and could not beat any of the 3 dungeons. They were just too difficult for my roster. :(
  • @jmcraven Did you have the defensive boost active on either account?

My belief is that they expected people who weren't able to do the event dungeons to focus on other ways to get Solaris tokens, i.e. grinding out the repeatable, and in doing so would unlock the defensive boost with their 250 repetitions. With that defensive boosts in hand, those people with lesser developed rosters should have been able to complete all three levels.

If you didn't get the defensive boost, sounds like you were simply the victim of being a member of a super casual guild. I would have hoped most casual guilds that didn't hit 250 reps on the first day would have woken up and down 250 reps on the second or third days (weekends) especially given that others would have been talking about the huge advantage the defensive boost gave them.
  • I had only 2 issues.

first, I ended up being very busy that weekend and since I didn't have time to grind for Solaris I hoped to buy him/her/it. I tried to buy Solaris Monday but apparently even though the "shop was available until Tuesday" Solaris became unavailable Sunday night. Had I known I would have purchased earlier. Now I am without until whenever the next Boss Invasion is. I was also disappointed in my reply from DB on this, although they were courteous and took the time to respond well.

(I would have given DB my $20 if I had had the chance)

Second, I did get the message that my guild did not earn enough to get the defense boost (although I found the wording confusing) It wasn't obvious to me what we needed to do (although I admit I did not look into it closely or look at the leaderboards, real life got in the way.) I wish that if success in the quests depended on the defense boost, that that was somehow made more obvious to us casual folk.

Overall the event seemed well done, clearly targeted to people who had more time available than me, so I don't consider myself qualified to assess it. Other more skilled users have done a fine job in this thread. It's clear they put a lot of effort into trying to provide a different, innovative event.
  • FatCat69 wrote: »
    @jmcraven Did you have the defensive boost active on either account?

My belief is that they expected people who weren't able to do the event dungeons to focus on other ways to get Solaris tokens, i.e. grinding out the repeatable, and in doing so would unlock the defensive boost with their 250 repetitions. With that defensive boosts in hand, those people with lesser developed rosters should have been able to complete all three levels.

If you didn't get the defensive boost, sounds like you were simply the victim of being a member of a super casual guild. I would have hoped most casual guilds that didn't hit 250 reps on the first day would have woken up and down 250 reps on the second or third days (weekends) especially given that others would have been talking about the huge advantage the defensive boost gave them.

No, I didn't have the defensive boost on either. I'm in a decently active guild. We top 10k regularly, but unfortunately have poor showings in teamwork events like this last one. It drives me nuts.

I didn't realize at first the repeatable quest reset daily, so I missed out on prob 32 Solaris tokens, but I did unlock it on day 3.

Overall I liked the event. I actually don't mind the grinding all that much. Small price to get a new, good hero, IMO. I just found the scaling difficulty very oppressive given my level/strength.
  • Yeah, I get that. I think part of the learning curve was that it was a new event type for us all. Part of it was bad communication on their side.

I have no doubt that the next iteration will be better. Better communication re: deadlines (I had no idea it reset daily either, just happened to have time to grind out the last repetitions that morning.) and maybe more realistic difficulty levels for a few dungeons so that more people can participate before the pain ramps up for the high end rosters. ;)

All in all, I really enjoyed it, but I can see where there would be difficulties if you missed out on getting those defensive boosts. Next time, we will all be ready.
1235»