Warriors Want Tickets and Squinch Seeks Scaly Skin

JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
g4iqs2pmmk20.png

The Warrior Heroes are ready to retaliate, literally! Be careful if you go to hit one in PVP, they might just hit back!

Meanwhile, Squinch still thinks the fire in his blood is due to draconic ancestry. If you don't have the Dragon Kin Squinch skin yet, you can earn it through the "Dragon Kin or Skin" quest chain. If you already have it, you'll get 3 Heroic Summons instead!
Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
www.bossfightentertainment.com
Tagged:

Comments

• DrocasDrocas Member
    edited September 28
    would be so nice to see number of heroic summons i have saved up......**sigh
    The EMPIRE :: The Aegis of Athena
    KuK1uXt.png
  • JackHallow666JackHallow666 Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    Again with the Squinch skin? I think it's about time we get a new Warrior skin. Jabber, Mangle, Astrid, Balog, Zurk... all have good potential for a new skin.
    Level: 70
    Favorite hero: Bovus
    Favorite element: Nature
    Currently: Trying to max out Epics
  • This feels like the 10th time we had Squinch Skin....
  • Cute the portal party , read it, viewed prizes, viewed leaderboard , Lawled , got started on quests
  • should be,
    "Warriors Want Rewards and Squinch Seeks Scaly Skin"
  • This "spend as much money as possible and top 5 get a reward" event seems pretty awful. Why the heck would you have a reward for 5 players out of your thousands of active players?

1-The vast, vast majority of us have no reason to even bother trying as we know that there are 5 or more whales out there who will spend more just to "win" this event than we will ever spend on every mobile game combined in our lifetime. It might as well read "unless you are prepared to spend literally thousands of dollars, just don't spend any at all."

2-The top few guilds already dabble in cash prizes for members, cash sharing for PvP tournament help, etc via PayPal or other service. The winners of an event involving thousands of people where only 5 get any sort of reward is highly likely to be determined by a couple guilds pooling money into one account to make sure they win, meaning normal players have a virtual zero chance to win this even if they wanted to spend a moderate amount.

3-There is bound to be people who try to win this, spend hundreds or thousands of dollars in the next couple days, and fall short (i.e. spots 6-20). I can't imagine some of them don't quit the game after dropping that kind of cash and getting nothing at all in return.

4-Heroic portals offer virtually nothing at all to end game players, who are the only ones who would be trying to compete in this. You're asking people to spend thousands of dollars for a couple runes that aren't generally any better than those that you can craft for free or win in PvP without spending money. All those heroic portal chests will just be useless Aether, xp potions, and evos that will be added to the massive piles of each that end game players already have.

In short, who the heck came up with this awful idea???

To be fair thousands of dollars is wayyyy over the top. We all have around 100+ free heroic pulls which is 100 pulls right there. $100 buys you 34k gems which is another 130 pulls. So we're nearing 250 points for only $100 bucks. I would be shocked if top 5 is over 500 which would be $300-$400 depending on free pulls.

Admittedly farrrrrrrrr too much money for the rewards. But I know other games do things like this. I remember reading about a game where they have a chest you can buy - and whoever opens it the most gets a bonus at the end of the day. It was an article that said this person DID spend thousands to win it one day and lost >.< I have to imagine that's pretty devastating. I would have preferred if they just said "if you hit 250 tickets you get this reward". Even then it'd be really expensive, but I bet you'd have more people go for it. Essentially $20 a rune plus all your free summons.
  • This "spend as much money as possible and top 5 get a reward" event seems pretty awful. Why the heck would you have a reward for 5 players out of your thousands of active players?

1-The vast, vast majority of us have no reason to even bother trying as we know that there are 5 or more whales out there who will spend more just to "win" this event than we will ever spend on every mobile game combined in our lifetime. It might as well read "unless you are prepared to spend literally thousands of dollars, just don't spend any at all."

2-The top few guilds already dabble in cash prizes for members, cash sharing for PvP tournament help, etc via PayPal or other service. The winners of an event involving thousands of people where only 5 get any sort of reward is highly likely to be determined by a couple guilds pooling money into one account to make sure they win, meaning normal players have a virtual zero chance to win this even if they wanted to spend a moderate amount.

3-There is bound to be people who try to win this, spend hundreds or thousands of dollars in the next couple days, and fall short (i.e. spots 6-20). I can't imagine some of them don't quit the game after dropping that kind of cash and getting nothing at all in return.

4-Heroic portals offer virtually nothing at all to end game players, who are the only ones who would be trying to compete in this. You're asking people to spend thousands of dollars for a couple runes that aren't generally any better than those that you can craft for free or win in PvP without spending money. All those heroic portal chests will just be useless Aether, xp potions, and evos that will be added to the massive piles of each that end game players already have.

To be fair, it's not just 5 people getting rewards. Their guilds also get the Light rune. So, maximum 250 people are getting rewards. And, that also means low-level and non-spending players CAN get rewards, provided they have a spending guildmate.

To be fair thousands of dollars is wayyyy over the top. We all have around 100+ free heroic pulls which is 100 pulls right there. $100 buys you 34k gems which is another 130 pulls. So we're nearing 250 points for only $100 bucks. I would be shocked if top 5 is over 500 which would be $300-$400 depending on free pulls.

Admittedly farrrrrrrrr too much money for the rewards. But I know other games do things like this. I remember reading about a game where they have a chest you can buy - and whoever opens it the most gets a bonus at the end of the day. It was an article that said this person DID spend thousands to win it one day and lost >.< I have to imagine that's pretty devastating. I would have preferred if they just said "if you hit 250 tickets you get this reward". Even then it'd be really expensive, but I bet you'd have more people go for it. Essentially $20 a rune plus all your free summons.

Considering we have two players at 400+ less than two hours into a three day event, I think you're underestimating what the cutoff will be. We'll see, maybe it will slow down for a couple days. Then again, maybe it will pick up substantially towards the end.
  • So the leaderboards currently show the top person with 600 points (tickets?). Does that mean he did 600 heroic pulls already?

It says 1 point on leaderboard per pull, but it's showing a ticket icon in the leaderboards....confused.
  • MattCauthronMattCauthron Member
    edited September 28
    @Skip_Holmes

Sounds like they needed to setup a side pool with bets! I think it's fairly obvious the top 2 people plan to win with what they just spent. Others simply dumped their free heroic pulls. $1000 would net you ~1360 points (Not counting the free ones from the quest and assuming zero free heroic pulls). If anyone gets over that - I'll concede haha Perhaps you're right and this is the chance for the true whales to whip out their metaphorical D*@#s.
  • If I counted right there are 11 warriors who don't have a skin yet. Shame there's so little going on in the creative department that they couldn't design a skin for one of those for this event.

Dhaegon, Koros, Kreel, Astrid, Hagrim, Malice, Zurg, Jabber, Sifu, Balog, Manglejaw.

All these heroes also need epic weapons. Shame we couldn't get an epic weapon release to combine with a new skin.

When I see an recycled event for more then the first time with zero new content (barring a single temporary dungeon with no useful drops to longer term players), combined with an obvious cash grab effort, I'm thinking beginning of the end for this game. Shame. it was a fun two years.
  • sirtainlysirtainly Member
    edited September 28
    2.5 hrs into the event and the "portal party" leader has over 650 "points" (or is that tickets? I'd like to know, too.)

I agree with the previous comments.

That portal party event sends me the following three messages.

1. There is no possible way you can win this. You don't have that kind of money. 650 heroic summons? You might muster 20 or 30. Just move on.

2. If you spend enough, you might win, but its very likely someone will outspend you (like some of the online auction sites)

3. Is this what DB will be shifting toward in the future?

"To be fair" (lotta people being fair around here), it is a very nice dynamic that someone can win prizes for their guild. I only hope the benefit spreads to more than the top few guilds.

How about the 5 bottom guilds share the prizes? :)
  • Wow. These events and the [element] festivals are really, really starting to drag. I knock out a few easy ones, pick up like 10 Koros tokens, and leave. Basically been doing dailies and waiting for something to actually happen.

How about a new epic or something? I don't know.
  • For all those complaining about a recycled event and nothing new - you do realize they had to quickly throw something in here as they delayed the Guild event they wanted to be sure the matchmaking fix is working well. How many of you would be the same ones in here complaining if the Guild PVP went off as planned and then there were matchmaking issues surfacing after the latest fix? Or if they pulled in another new event with new items in a rush with a lot of bugs?
  • I agree with @Sockless --

I think this is a placeholder for the original event which they are waiting to see if the latest matchmaking changes work out. I didn't follow why the PVP season is a recycled one from two weeks ago.. but I give them a 100% pass on the event for this weekend.

Having a solid tested new event without crazy bugs will end up with a happier base after all.

They could have not done any event and that would have been fine in my mind. Wasn't too long ago events weren't back to back like they are now.

Haven't seen a 2x gold or Double Pwnage Tower event in a while if they want to dust something off.

• In short, who the heck came up with this awful idea???

Donald trump.
  • I'm fine with this event only for the fact as @Sockless mentioned, id rather a new type of guild event being pvp focused be a smooth execution and have matchmaking provide a overall good experience for everyone during the event, it was obvious a recycled event would be thrown in last minute. Can't complain always love event tickets .
  • FoozleFoozle Member
    edited September 28
    I'm assuming this is pretty obvious to everyone, but as a PSA for those who haven't figured it out, here is my take on what is happening with this event. Contrary to our ability to see how many heroic summons we have saved up, DB can see exactly how many people have. I'm assuming the number is staggering and before they release a new heroic portal hero, they would like to see that number come down quite a lot. Hence, this event. They are banking on many people depleting their "free" heroic summons, thus clearing the way for them to release a new fancy heroic portal hero. By reducing the surplus of saved up heroic summons, it will require people to buy more gems to 6 star any new hero that comes out.

I can't say it isn't a smart move on DB's part, but as for me and my household, we are saving our heroic summons in case I'm correct. ;)
  • Foozle wrote: »
    I'm assuming this is pretty obvious to everyone, but as a PSA for those who haven't figured it out, here is my take on what is happening with this event. Contrary to our ability to see how many heroic summons we have saved up, DB can see exactly how many people have. I'm assuming the number is staggering and before they release a new heroic portal hero, they would like to see that number come down quite a lot. Hence, this event. They are banking on many people depleting their "free" heroic summons, thus clearing the way for them to release a new fancy heroic portal hero. By reducing the surplus of saved up heroic summons, it will require people to buy more gems to 6 star any new hero that comes out.

I can't say it isn't a smart move on DB's part, but as for me and my household, we are saving our heroic summons in case I'm correct. ;)

@Foozle you may be right. However, I wouldn't frame it as a smart move by them so much as a panicked overcorrection by them. This is a continuous problem for multiple different resources. They don't release content updates fast enough to keep resources from accumulating. They periodically add a resource dump...excess tokens converted to Aether, special honor shop at start of PvP seasons, all heroes in Aether shop, increased keys for Boss island runs, etc. The problem with that approach is twofold:

1-The dumps are single time events. They don't fix the underlying issue of resources accumulating faster than the need to spend them. End game players just immediately start accumulating again.

2-Endgame players (the ones who generally have accumulated resources) aren't going to be easily tempted to spend those resources on normal rewards that they've either already maxed out on or can easily get whenever they want. To entice spending, they have to put time and resources into creating new rewards, new content, new offers. One wonders if that time and effort was spent on balancing accumulation vs spend rates and creating timely new content to begin with, whether the problem wouldn't largely be solved without the periodic need for these resource dumps.
  • Skip_HolmesSkip_Holmes Member
    edited September 29
    @Skip_Holmes

Sounds like they needed to setup a side pool with bets! I think it's fairly obvious the top 2 people plan to win with what they just spent. Others simply dumped their free heroic pulls. $1000 would net you ~1360 points (Not counting the free ones from the quest and assuming zero free heroic pulls). If anyone gets over that - I'll concede haha Perhaps you're right and this is the chance for the true whales to whip out their metaphorical D*@#s.

@MattCauthron I dunno man. They are continuing to spend since your post. Those two are at 1000 summons and 550 summons respectively. 3rd-5th may end up being much lower, but only because this spendfest was so overly transparent that multiple guilds have agreed to force a 4th or 5th place tie so that they all get rewards without having to compete against each other and only have to spend minimal amounts. Otherwise we'd be seeing those numbers skyrocket.
  • This is the chance for the true whales to whip out their metaphorical Moby D*@#s.
    @MattCauthron Missed opportunity
  • To change the subject, I am so glad that Gnog Gnog gets a revenge boost for this event. He just didn't seem to be bearing on enough heroes in PvP.
  • Joel,

Do all the quests in this event last for the full duration of the event? I'm a new player. In past events I've gotten halfway through quests not realizing that they would disappear a day or two before the event was over.
  • These quests should all last through the end of the event, yes. No need to rush.
  • @astrangetoday Day quests lasts the entire event. I usually wait until the last set is released to do them all at once.
  • bvs72 wrote: »
    To change the subject, I am so glad that Gnog Gnog gets a revenge boost for this event. He just didn't seem to be bearing on enough heroes in PvP.

He doesn't look like a bear to me.
  • I still don't get why we can't have a summon counter? Is it that hard to implement - I mean the 5 free summons is the core weekly guild reward yet we are not able / allowed to see how many we have, as opposed to any other resource.
    ---
    Wasi | The Potato Army
  • Is it the exact sam evet than th e one after the tank event? The in game description even says warriors steal the spotlight from tanks :) not even that were changed even tought the previous event where not tanks based :'(