Guild Grand PVP Tourney is Coming Next Week! (October 5th)

Comments

• YankeeYankee Member
    Joel wrote: »
    We're excited to announce our newest Guild event, the Guild PvP Grand Tourney! This event is similar to the Guild Games, but whereas the Guild Games are completely PvE focused, this event is completely PvP focused.

A few important things to know:
    • Similar to Guild Games, the Guild you're in at the beginning of the event is your Grand Tourney Guild. Guildmasters, be sure to have your lineups set by Sunday night!
    • The leaderboards are completely based on PvP Trophies. Any trophies your earn are counted towards your Guild's total, and any trophies lost are deducted, until your personal contribution reaches zero. At no point can your personal contribution become negative.
    • The event begins on Thursday, October 5th at 3pm CST. This means that you have the first half of the week to get into the best league you can!
    • There are three special buffs/debuffs running during the event to shake up the metagame! These buffs/debuffs last for the entire event. In future Grand Tourneys, we'll run different buffs/debuffs to make each event unique!
    • Rewards are similar to the ones from Guild Games, and include Solaris tokens.
    • There are quests that pay out tickets. Tickets are NOT related to Trophies in any way. However, there are some 5x repeatable quests that will pay out 500 tickets to you and 30 tickets to every other member of your guild. The majority of the tickets that can be earned in this even are from your guildmates…they really add up and are added to your inventory immediately. Best part? No mail messages to deal with! You'll get a chat notification when a guildmate earns tickets for you, but your inboxes have been spared!
    • Lastly, PvP win streaks are deactivated for the entire season of the Grand PVP Tourney! This means that streaks are disabled starting on Wednesday and stay that way after the event ends, but will be reactivated at the start of the following season.

I wish you'd had someone proofread this. A lot doesn't make sense as pointed out in other comments.
    1. Why would we want our line up done by Sunday night, when the event starts Thursday? I mean it makes sense for crowns, but I don't see the relevance here.
    2. So we know when it begins but not when it ends. We'll find out soon enough, but we are curious creatures, and it would be natural thing to include.
    3. You say we have the first half week to get into the best league we can. Why would that matter? We get the same amount of trophies for a win in any league, or are you changing that?
    4. You talk about tickets. I'm sure you mean event tickets, but it could easily be interpreted as PvP tickets.
  • Yankee wrote: »
    We're excited to announce our newest Guild event, the Guild PvP Grand Tourney! This event is similar to the Guild Games, but whereas the Guild Games are completely PvE focused, this event is completely PvP focused.

A few important things to know:
    • Similar to Guild Games, the Guild you're in at the beginning of the event is your Grand Tourney Guild. Guildmasters, be sure to have your lineups set by Sunday night!
    • The leaderboards are completely based on PvP Trophies. Any trophies your earn are counted towards your Guild's total, and any trophies lost are deducted, until your personal contribution reaches zero. At no point can your personal contribution become negative.
    • The event begins on Thursday, October 5th at 3pm CST. This means that you have the first half of the week to get into the best league you can!
    • There are three special buffs/debuffs running during the event to shake up the metagame! These buffs/debuffs last for the entire event. In future Grand Tourneys, we'll run different buffs/debuffs to make each event unique!
    • Rewards are similar to the ones from Guild Games, and include Solaris tokens.
    • There are quests that pay out tickets. Tickets are NOT related to Trophies in any way. However, there are some 5x repeatable quests that will pay out 500 tickets to you and 30 tickets to every other member of your guild. The majority of the tickets that can be earned in this even are from your guildmates…they really add up and are added to your inventory immediately. Best part? No mail messages to deal with! You'll get a chat notification when a guildmate earns tickets for you, but your inboxes have been spared!
    • Lastly, PvP win streaks are deactivated for the entire season of the Grand PVP Tourney! This means that streaks are disabled starting on Wednesday and stay that way after the event ends, but will be reactivated at the start of the following season.

I wish you'd had someone proofread this. A lot doesn't make sense as pointed out in other comments.
    1. Why would we want our line up done by Sunday night, when the event starts Thursday? I mean it makes sense for crowns, but I don't see the relevance here.
    2. So we know when it begins but not when it ends. We'll find out soon enough, but we are curious creatures, and it would be natural thing to include.
    3. You say we have the first half week to get into the best league we can. Why would that matter? We get the same amount of trophies for a win in any league, or are you changing that?
    4. You talk about tickets. I'm sure you mean event tickets, but it could easily be interpreted as PvP tickets.

All great points, but just wanted to point out one small correction. Trophies do change between leagues. Warlord Hard raid is 150 trophies while in Legend, it's 160. Don't remember the trophies for the other leagues.
  • LietoLieto Member
    I hope the PVP rune is good. Will be a kick to the sac to put in more effort than usual and end up with a DR v Plant rune, or other such nonsense
  • Lieto wrote: »
    I hope the PVP rune is good. Will be a kick to the sac to put in more effort than usual and end up with a DR v Plant rune, or other such nonsense

its probably a water precision rune that reduces damage from rogar
    Mock exams finished...Im back!
  • JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
    Apologies for the confusion, I did indeed mean you have one day (from Wednesday to Thursday) to get in the best league possible. The comment about Sunday was me mixing things up with the crown tournament. The event will end at 11pm on Sunday, as it did for the Boss Invasion event so guilds can shuffle their lineups as necessary for the new week. I've updated the original post to clarify these points.
    Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
    www.bossfightentertainment.com
  • @joel, what does a starting league position grant you? is it just because league positioning will be less likely without streaks? Or are you implying that your league position is set for the event?
    The season hasn't been changed in any way other than the disabling of streaks. Your starting league is based on the league you ended the prior season in, as per usual.
  • Joel wrote: »
    The season hasn't been changed in any way other than the disabling of streaks. Your starting league is based on the league you ended the prior season in, as per usual.

You probably shouldn't say "you have 1 day to get into the best league possible" because you are implying once the GG tourney starts, you can't advance anymore after that, which is untrue.
  • Since no streaks will be available the whole PVP season (as per Joel), what would be the point, you would be wasting your tickets you could have been spending on the event. This whole thing makes no sense.
  • shiggity80shiggity80 Member
    edited October 2
    Wolfreich wrote: »
    Since no streaks will be available the whole PVP season (as per Joel), what would be the point, you would be wasting your tickets you could have been spending on the event. This whole thing makes no sense.

Huh? the event IS playing PvP. If you use a raid ticket to PvP, you aren't wasting it, because you are doing both regular season PvP and the event.

And you still get your normal league rewards, and also, I believe Legend provides 160 trophies when you raid hard option, vs 150 in warlord, so there is incentive to climb up into the higher leagues.

It's just that Joel's wording is very confusing.
    shiggity80 wrote: »

You probably shouldn't say "you have 1 day to get into the best league possible" because you are implying once the GG tourney starts, you can't advance anymore after that, which is untrue.

I'll rephrase that as well. The idea is that the higher league you're in at the start, the more trophies you'll be able to earn with each battle, which will increase your efficiency for the event.
  • bvs72bvs72 Member
    People please remember, Joel is not an attorney. He works for a mobile game company and is probably a nerd like most of us. I seem to be able to understand him without the precise language of legal jargon.
  • WolfreichWolfreich Member
    edited October 2
    @shiggity80

But you would be, because (assuming you were on 20K (warlord 1), the best result, when the season starts) you have to earn 2348 trophies to get to Legend 3 that would take 16 fights at 150 each, that is 2400 trophies you aren't contributing to the event.

So if you were to get from Legend 3 to Legend 1 (20K to 40K) it would cost you 126 tickets yet if you did this all within the event you would gain all 20000 trophies for the event where if you went from warlord to legend beforehand 16 matches of those will not count (2400 trophies). so to make up that deficit the player who played more PVP beforehand now need to grind a further 15 matches, and the player who did it all in the event can do the same thus just pulling further ahead.

So yeah I really don't see the use of grinding for a better position beforehand.

• Wolfreich wrote: »
    @shiggity80

But you would be, because (assuming you were on 20K (warlord 1), the best result, when the season starts) you have to earn 2348 trophies to get to Legend 3 that would take 16 fights at 150 each, that is 2400 trophies you aren't contributing to the event.

So if you were to get from Legend 3 to Legend 1 (20K to 40K) it would cost you 126 tickets yet if you did this all within the event you would gain all 20000 trophies for the event where if you went from warlord to legend beforehand 16 matches of those will not count (2400 trophies). so to make up that deficit the player who played more PVP beforehand now need to grind a further 15 matches, and the player who did it all in the event can do the same thus just pulling further ahead.

So yeah I really don't see the use of grinding for a better position beforehand.

Ah I see what you're saying. I did forget to take into account that the first day of the new season is not the first day of the event. Appreciate you explaining!
  • Yeah that's why I just can't see the point in grinding beforehand, the ROI just isn't there.
  • Wolfreich wrote: »
    @shiggity80

I'll echo this sentiment; I'm a weekly L1 player. I use big streaks to move up, grab the rewards, then usually sit in L1 from Friday-next Wed and do my daily 3 attacks or maybe a few more if there's a daily quest (like win a PvP with Tanks).

Am I to understand that the event rewards are going to be better than the big honor, token and rune bonuses that come with the leagues? I'm level 54, so I'm still trying to 6* a lot of heroes and am just now farming Greater runes. I need that honor for the 30K champion Greater Rune in the shop.

This seems like a very poorly designed event. You just made PvP much harder for regular players in exchange for . . . . I don't even know.
  • xandrew29 wrote: »
    @shiggity80

I'll echo this sentiment; I'm a weekly L1 player. I use big streaks to move up, grab the rewards, then usually sit in L1 from Friday-next Wed and do my daily 3 attacks or maybe a few more if there's a daily quest (like win a PvP with Tanks).

Am I to understand that the event rewards are going to be better than the big honor, token and rune bonuses that come with the leagues? I'm level 54, so I'm still trying to 6* a lot of heroes and am just now farming Greater runes. I need that honor for the 30K champion Greater Rune in the shop.

This seems like a very poorly designed event. You just made PvP much harder for regular players in exchange for . . . . I don't even know.

There was discussion (or at least it was brought up in the summit), that they may consider lowering the thresholds for reaching the different tiers. So instead of 40K for L1, it could be something lower to help compensate for lack of streaks. No idea if it will be implemented, or what the new thresholds will be.
  • RocksorRocksor Member
    edited October 2
    Yeah that's why I just can't see the point in grinding beforehand, the ROI just isn't there.

Well if you have more than 8 tickets saved up in My dungeon (not mail), yeah, there is no point in wasting those tickets. Typically, I don't have more than 8 tickets sitting at My Dungeon, so in my case, it would be best to use as many of the free tickets earned every 2 hours, so that I can start GG on Thursday with 8 tickets. I use 14 raid tickets a day with 2 of those being earned from Daily Quests.

If I were not to raid, then I would lose the 12 tickets earned on Wednesday.
  • Rocksor wrote: »
    Yeah that's why I just can't see the point in grinding beforehand, the ROI just isn't there.

Well if you have more than 8 tickets saved up in My dungeon (not mail), yeah, there is no point in wasting those tickets. Typically, I don't have more than 8 tickets sitting at My Dungeon, so in my case, it would be best to use as many of the free tickets earned every 2 hours, so that I can start GG on Thursday with 8 tickets. I use 14 raid tickets a day with 2 of those being earned from Daily Quests.

If I were not to raid, then I would lose the 12 tickets earned on Wednesday.

I always save my weekly tickets, get my 2 bonus tickets in the a.m., then start my PvP with my 8 natural tickets, 2 daily and whatever I got from my weekly guild crown rewards. It sucks waiting a few days to collect the portal stuff, but being able to raid 16 times or whatever for free offsets it IMHO.

Unless this event has legitimately good rewards for all participants, it's going to severerly hurt all but the top guilds.
    edited October 2
    For this event, the league brackets will be the same, but keep in mind that even without streaks, the number of trophies paid out per battle will inherently be larger in the higher leagues, hence the benefit of getting to higher leagues earlier. Also keep in mind the personal rewards from the event (even for those not in the top guilds) combined with the season rewards (even if you aren't in as high a league as you usually are) should exceed the rewards you'd get from an average season. The rewards won't be identical, but there's a lot of value in the event. There are also quests that pay out a total of 60 raid tickets, so those will help as well. :)
  • xandrew29xandrew29 Member
    edited October 2
    Keep in mind that even without streaks, the number of trophies paid out per battle will inherently be larger in the higher leagues, hence the benefit of getting to higher leagues earlier.

Joel, it's not that big of a difference without the streak bonuses. You're looking at a 10 cup difference at the top for the hard option (150 cups vs. 160). If I win 25 battles to get to L1 THEN start the event, I need to win 25 MORE to make up the difference on someone who started in L2 for the event and didn't spend those 25 tickets. Their 50 wins (in this case because they waited to start playing) would net them 7500 trophies for the event. My 25 L1 wins would mean I won 4,000 trophies. I'd actually have to win 47 matches on TOP of the 25 it took me to get there to surpass the guy who started lower (and in actuality, it takes more than 25 to go from L2 to L1 beacuse you don't start at the top win rate of 400 trophies).

There's also the issue of tougher competition at higher leagues, making it harder for me to accumulate those Ws.

This is just not well thought out; the advantages to moving up a league are hard countered by the fact that the sheer volume of matches required to make up for wins pre-event is insurmountable for most players.

There are 2 ways to play this out:

1) Go all out on Wednesday, push for L1. Get all the honor/gems/season-end bonuses available for that, plus higher daily honor from the chest. Be out of tickets/forced to spend gems to help your guild. Be on track for the next season.

2) Sit on all your tickets. Get 0 help from streaks. Struggle to get to L1, which in turn hurts you a TON the next season, because trophies are halved. On the flip side, you can now pour all your tickets into the event and hope your GUILD does the same thing so you aren't stuck with 3 Solaris Tokens total for the event.

Joel, both of these options are not fun for even semi-serious players. Honor/daily gold is a big part of the in-game economy; you are forcing people to forgo that for this season, and possibly the next season as well, in the name of an event that, if your prior efforts are similar, not worth anything outside of the same top 10 guilds.

I am not trying to flame/troll you; I am just not understanding how this event is going to be a benefit above and beyond what we do on a daily basis. If we could earn rewards over and on top of our normal PvP-ing, that would be awesome. But it sounds like you've taken from one hand and given to the other.

FWIW, I'm a VIP2 and level 54, but I'm in the top 1200 lifetime PvP trophy; not bad for someone who started playing in February. PvP is by far my favorite part of the game, and my focus. Just help me understand how this is a good thing.
  • The big mistake here is combining the PVP season with the PVP guild event. Instead of using trophies as points in the guild games, each win should count as one point. No need to remove streaks and mess with the PVP season.

"But," you say, "won't players just stay in artificially low brackets to face easier enemies?" If a player would sacrifice trophies, honor and shop options for easier opponents that's a fair trade. (Btw I still face easier enemies in Legendary I than warlord I.)
  • The big mistake here is combining the PVP season with the PVP guild event. Instead of using trophies as points in the guild games, each win should count as one point. No need to remove streaks and mess with the PVP season.

"But," you say, "won't players just stay in artificially low brackets to face easier enemies?" If a player would sacrifice trophies, honor and shop options for easier opponents that's a fair trade. (Btw I still face easier enemies in Legendary I than warlord I.)

It's not really a fair trade given that the rewards from the GG Tourney are much more unique than a regular PvP season's rewards. So yes, counting only wins would not be a good solution. There would have to be some kind of trade off with points earned from easy vs hard opponents.

What they should have done is made two point scoring system: 1) for PvP weekly season, keep everything the same, streaks, thresholds, etc. 2) for the GG Tourney, just make the points be equivalent to non-streak trophy wins.

That way, people can still achieve their desired league tiers and still compete in the GG tournament.

I dunno, I'm sure there are drawbacks to that proposed idea as well.
    We considered making it based simply on win/loss, but found that this incentivised staying at a low league, trading off season rewards for the event rewards, which are worth more than the average season. This creates a negative experience for lower level players and we never want to incentivize any behavior other than trying your hardest. The trouble with having streaks in place but only counting non-streak trophies for the event is complexity and clarity. There isn't a clean way for us to show both the number of trophies that you get with a streak and the number that you get without it.
  • Are rewards tiered as they were for PVE games, or are they ranked i.e. 1st place, 2nd etc.?
    Are rewards tiered as they were for PVE games, or are they ranked i.e. 1st place, 2nd etc.?

Similar structure to the PVE Guild Games. Ranked rewards for the top 50 guilds, then thresholds for everyone else. The thresholds are 30,000 trophies, 500,000 trophies, and 1,000,000 trophies. And no there's not a zero missing from the lowest threshold, we want it to be easily attainable. :)
  • bvs72bvs72 Member
    Thanks Joel, but I don’t think it is high enough to send you to law school.
  • @Joel this may have been mentioned, but any confirmation of honor? ie - will there be a 60,000 superior rune in the shop as per usual and / or some honor benefits from the tourney?

i have approx 80,000 now and don't want another 60,000 superior light electric rune this pvp week, however don't want to be stuck with over 100,000 honor / conversion if there are no runes / end game honor rewards next cycle?
    ---
    Wasi | The Potato Army
    edited October 3
    There will be an honor shop, and runes will be in that honor shop. :)
    Post edited by Joel on
  • @joel how excited are you for grand tourney ? In comparison, are you also more excited for Halloween event or Christmas event?

Thanks!