Grand Tourney feedback

2»

Comments

• Agreed.
    I was only referring to statements like:
    "... I disliked the Boss Invasion event, but I HATE this event. Please do not run such an event again in the future!"
    "Just my two cents, but I think this is the worst event to date! I hate this event and I'm going to quit playing until this event is over."
    "...They feed us this piss poor event..."
    which seems harsh, considering all the effort it must have taken to pull off such an event.

Instead, I want to say "Next time you run such an event, plz change X, Y and Z, but keep A, B and C, as they were done well".

Otherwise, there's some pretty good feedback in this thread, both positive and negative!

The reason this event may seem extremely hard to some (or many) is because it was a PvP based event, which many players are not going to be great at. While every player NEEDS to do a lot of PvE grinding to play this game, the mandatory PvP side can simply be ignored or completed with minimal effort- especially now that getting crowns only requires a player to "attempt" 3 PvP raids.

Since DB devs have taken this route, for future events, they should continue down this path of "attempt"ing PvP raids for quest completion. It will take the challenge out of it, but at least make it doable for everyone who puts in some effort.
  • Rkr1970 wrote: »
    pjworld wrote: »
    Gee - You're all so harsh. It is pretty hard to pull off something new without some bugs. Give the devs a break!

Actually, the point of this thread (and, impressively, most of the posts others have added) was to offer the devs enough feedback, positive and/or negative, in a (hopefully) constructive manner so that future events can appeal to a broader base of players. Every one of these major events seems to come with a lot of "gritching and bumbling" about the event as a whole. Here, folks are breaking down the event and letting the devs know what to tweak, fix, or abandon outright.

"Harsh" is when many of us, myself included, say "This event sucks!" with no explanation as to why we feel that way. Or worse, "You're all jackwads! Stop ruining my fun!!". This thread isn't "harsh". It's blunt, opinionated, and critical, but in general, the posts seem aimed at informing the devs of our preferences and tastes more than whining and name calling, as so many "feedback" threads have become.

We are, by and large, PAYING customers. As such, we want to vent our displeasure at the recipient of our money if we are unhappy with the value we perceive. The recent explosion of what seem like highly experimental events tells me that the devs are painfully aware of this and that they are striving to retain older players while attracting new ones by improving our gaming experience. It seems obvious that they WANT to make a better game. IMHO, if WE want to play a better game, we need to make sure the devs know what detracts from our collective experience while they try to experiment and discover those things that enhance said experience. In the long run, it will mean a better game for us which in turn means more money for them!

That said, I've heard from many friends that I've convinced to start playing DB that they were at a loss during the tourney. Apparently, some of the class/family quests were nigh impossible for players below level 50. They felt left out and a couple wanted to rage-quit the game forever. It may behoove the devs to keep such mid-level players in mind during these events. A guy playing 2 weeks being unable to master an event feels driven to get to a level where he CAN participate. A player of 2-3 months feeling that same inability feels justifiably excluded!
    Rkr1970 wrote: »
    pjworld wrote: »
    Gee - You're all so harsh. It is pretty hard to pull off something new without some bugs. Give the devs a break!

Actually, the point of this thread (and, impressively, most of the posts others have added) was to offer the devs enough feedback, positive and/or negative, in a (hopefully) constructive manner so that future events can appeal to a broader base of players. Every one of these major events seems to come with a lot of "gritching and bumbling" about the event as a whole. Here, folks are breaking down the event and letting the devs know what to tweak, fix, or abandon outright.

"Harsh" is when many of us, myself included, say "This event sucks!" with no explanation as to why we feel that way. Or worse, "You're all jackwads! Stop ruining my fun!!". This thread isn't "harsh". It's blunt, opinionated, and critical, but in general, the posts seem aimed at informing the devs of our preferences and tastes more than whining and name calling, as so many "feedback" threads have become.

We are, by and large, PAYING customers. As such, we want to vent our displeasure at the recipient of our money if we are unhappy with the value we perceive. The recent explosion of what seem like highly experimental events tells me that the devs are painfully aware of this and that they are striving to retain older players while attracting new ones by improving our gaming experience. It seems obvious that they WANT to make a better game. IMHO, if WE want to play a better game, we need to make sure the devs know what detracts from our collective experience while they try to experiment and discover those things that enhance said experience. In the long run, it will mean a better game for us which in turn means more money for them!

That said, I've heard from many friends that I've convinced to start playing DB that they were at a loss during the tourney. Apparently, some of the class/family quests were nigh impossible for players below level 50. They felt left out and a couple wanted to rage-quit the game forever. It may behoove the devs to keep such mid-level players in mind during these events. A guy playing 2 weeks being unable to master an event feels driven to get to a level where he CAN participate. A player of 2-3 months feeling that same inability feels justifiably excluded!

In fairness to the developers I should point out that, as I was climbing the levels, I found in most events I was unable to complete all or even many of the quests. This is not new, or limited to the Guild Games events. Just keep playing and building your roster.

Many events required a specific hero, type or combination of heros to finish, and if you don't have them, or they weren't full ascended and leveled (and now decently runed), then you're not going to finish everything.

After about eight months of daily play, and at level 65 or so, I was still unable to complete a scavenger quest line 20th part because I didn't have Brom. So players being unable to complete quests because they don't yet have the tools is not a new thing for this event.

In the PvP Guild Games there were two sets of rewards. The Guild reward that everyone in a Guild got (essentially a Phenol skin plus a rune) if the Guild earned enough points, and the individual rewards bought with event tickets.

For the Guild reward if the Guild averaged 5000 points per player you got the skin and a rune. The rune, unless you were in a top 5 scoring Guild, was less then perfect (5* Legendary Superior) and thus destined to eventually be used for a lesser purpose. 5,000 points per player was a very doable target if people played a reasonable amount.

The individual rewards in the shop included other skins, for me just Shadowblade because I had the others already, and materials (which are offered in every event and can be got in game daily).

For me the massive fail in this event was removing all our tickets on Friday and not replacing them, or even acknowledging in-game that there was a problem until after the event. That was frankly an unacceptable mess, and must never, ever, happen again.

Compensation was also not tailored to what the individual lost, but a blanket reward which benefited players who had spent their tickets before they were zeroed. It was also not enough to buy a single skin, which was churlish. 20k tickets would not have broken the game, and would have allowed players who didn't know compensation was coming (due to there being no in-game email announcement) and had already spent their remaining tickets on materials to still get something memorable for their time and effort.

I'm not a big fan of PvP in this game, I do what I have to, so didn't particularly enjoy that aspect of the event. Other players live only for PvP and loved every waking minute of four days of relentless button mashing.

The buffs and debuffs didn't much alter the way I played PvP during the event. The nerf on AOE damage meant fights took longer, the Aegis shield for slows I barely saw and when I did it had little effect on the outcome. I don't recall the third de/buff, it didn't seem to matter.

For me the big takeaway for the developers from this event should be if you ever remove player rewards during an event again, you need to acknowledge the error as soon as you are made aware of it with an in-game email and compensate exceptionally as soon as possible, not as soon as is convenient to you several days later, and preferably in the in-game email explaining the error. This was perfectly within your power to do but you massively failed to fix the problem you created in a timely and reasonable manner.
2»