Tower of Pwnage Change: Runic Rumble

JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
Hey folks,

We've updated the Tower of Pwnage to include enemies with runes on them. The Tower was always meant to be a challenge, and that is reflected by the significant rewards it pays out. For a time, the Tower was indeed a challenge, but as time went on and runes got better and better, that challenge became greatly diminished. It got to the point where it was a cakewalk for players. Giving away 300 gems per day for a cakewalk is simply unsustainable, so we were left with a choice: Significantly cut the loot in the Tower, or make it more challenging. We have chosen the latter, as we feel it is the better choice for players who have worked hard to upgrade their heroes and runes. While the Tower certainly won't be as easily as before, it is absolutely still beatable. Furthermore, this allows players to do battles that are similar to PVP raids without risking trophies.
Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
www.bossfightentertainment.com
Tagged:
«1345

Comments

  • These where significant rewards when there where no runes in the game. Now with runes and massive resources needed this harder tower should offer better rewards. There I said it.

    But then you wouldn't need to buy gems . . . .
  • @Joel I would agree with MonkeyHunter and spiffymcbang, the rewards for the tower have greatly diminished with the required resources it takes to collect and upgrade heroes. And collecting and upgrading all your heroes is still a terrible idea due to PVP (which offers substantial rewards). If you change that and there is some incentive to run the tower, I run it occasionally, many days i just could not care to run it.

    So to sum up.
    1. You don't give 300 gems, the value of the tower has diminished as time as progressed.
    2. The rewards are middling at best, maybe add some materials to the tower to make it god again.
    3. PVP offers better rewards and penalizes you for having a developed roster, its the exact counterpoint to the Tower.

    Hope the feedback helps, regards.
  • Wolfreich wrote: »
    3. PVP offers better rewards and penalizes you for having a developed roster, its the exact counterpoint to the Tower.

    Hope the feedback helps, regards.

    I thoroughly agree with this comment. I have no problem adding Runes to the tower for a challenge, but not before the RP consideration is removed from PVP. My $1.98 - good change, bad timing.
  • i say make it harder, add more levels and up the gems
    The EMPIRE :: The Aegis of Athena
    KuK1uXt.png
  • So, did you also add the 40% health boost in the Tower the same as it is in PvP? If not, then it really wouldn't be good practice for PvP since the matches would be significantly different without the added health. Also, for some this will make the Tower extremely difficult since many heroes will be getting one shot by the defense since they get the advantage of having the first turn.

    Also, agree with the above that inflation has made gems worth considerably less, so I would argue that over time the Tower has become less generous by not keeping up with inflation.

    Thanks
  • Did you guys increase the difficulty in the tower, or just put an amazingly unbeatable team on Floor 11?
    Solaris, Grog, Julius, and Leonidus wasn't fun. Especially, after killing Solaris and Leonidus in the first go round, Solaris rezzes both of them at the start of Round 2. And don't get me started on how the tower is 3-4 stars up to Floor 10, but 5-6 stars on Floor 11.
    Woe is me, the non-Power Gamer.
  • @Joel how about dropping runes for loot as well and expanding the pwnage shop?



  • I've had 4 Solaris full Beast teams in the first 9 levels. At least in PvP I KNOW I'll have Shade, SB and Hopper's first abilities ready to go. If I run out of purge heroes, you're basically toast.

    I just feel like they're making the game tougher without scaling the rewards. Sorry for being a whiner the last 24 hours, but we've had major character changes, a new META, and now a new tower, all without any corresponding buffer (free rune unequip/better rewards).

    For what it's worth, because of the last few events, I now have about 20 decent-to-well runed heroes, which is enough with bait heroes to handle the tower, but now it takes 45 minutes instead of 15-20. At least make the rewards scale, or decrease the cost for the celestial in the shop. Something, otherwise you're just making the game harder for no reason.
  • In the whole game, it's the Tower that stands out as the smoothest mechanic, a nice time:rewards value for 15 - 30 minutes of game time. Adding even small increments to this process turns the Tower into another aspect of the grind.

    Seriously. Just increase the rewards on PvP, increase the ticket cap, give gems for the first 12 daily victories, and be done with the Tower. I doubt this change is a dealbreaker, but it is another aspect of the time suck.
  • Guess I don't agree with most people. I still think 300 gems a day is a good amount given how much money it would cost to buy them otherwise. And as a free to play, it feels like enough to keep up on rune crafting when combined with PvP rewards.

    I also think it should be harder. I wish it was even harder than the new version. Why should it be a given that every single person can complete it every single day? I miss 2 years ago when I had to carefully plan floors and baiting abilities and managing energy. I'd love if the game had more of that type of strategy needed.

    Overall, good change.
  • Evil_SpiritsEvil_Spirits Unconfirmed, Member
    Game is still easy as pie. Won't really affect my play through of the tower :) Thanks for making it more of a thinker though.
  • Can we get some new things in the pwn shop then? New hero tokens, new items? Ferno please? I’m sitting on 90K pwn points, and that’s low for my guild. We have people sitting on almost 400K.
  • urrrurrr Member
    edited October 27
    It's been said in the past. But why not two towers one as is lower the gems.. One Challenge Tower 300 gems triple the gold.

    Maybe add materials too!. 1 specific type a day or a week
  • urrrurrr Member
    Better solutions are there. Don't ignore them
  • Alecat97 wrote: »
    Good choice.
    Top players have been the ones quitting the most lately.
    Now it's time to make other people quit!

    Hey, that's right.
    Less fun, easier to quit.
    No thoughts about spending money, when thinking about to quit and delete.

    Halloween Event is guild based, without announcement, again.

    What to expect next?
  • urrrurrr Member
    Foozle wrote: »
    So, did you also add the 40% health boost in the Tower the same as it is in PvP? If not, then it really wouldn't be good practice for PvP since the matches would be significantly different without the added health. Also, for some this will make the Tower extremely difficult since many heroes will be getting one shot by the defense since they get the advantage of having the first turn.

    Also, agree with the above that inflation has made gems worth considerably less, so I would argue that over time the Tower has become less generous by not keeping up with inflation.

    Thanks


    If tower is practice. Gives special abilities each floor. Because most new players won't finish a tower and only be discouraged.
  • Some questions/concerns:

    Do rune/toon stats that only apply in PVP (ie. %damage reduction, demon dodge ability) count in the tower? For both sides?
    How about the ability to examine equipped runes?

    I understand making the tower harder - gems are the premium resource in the game, gotta earn them. But this change doesn’t seem like it was thought out or even hinted at, much less communicated well. Knowing whether or not Emily or Shade is stacked with bulwark or power or planning runes is crucial information in PVP. Adding on to the tougher tower, (and likelihood of less gems) you do away with your cheaper gem packs.

    Seems like a jerk move to me.
  • And I will add that the nerf to Kira was over the top. Now, with the new tower he’s fodder that might dodge thru a couple rounds.
  • sirolk99sirolk99 Member
    edited October 27
    urrr wrote: »
    It's been said in the past. But why not two towers one as is lower the gems.. One Challenge Tower 300 gems triple the gold.

    Maybe add materials too!. 1 specific type a day or a week
    Why not just go then with 3 Tower choices (Normal, Challenge, Boss)?
    No enemy runes in the Normal Tower, no special/extra enemy abilities.
    Enemy Runes in the Challenge Tower, no special/extra enemy abilities.
    Enemy Runes & Special/Extra enemy abilities in the Boss Tower.
    Update/Scale the rewards/enemies accordingly...

    That should work for everyone right?

    @Joel should totally do this suggestion ASAP. :)
  • pcg0dpcg0d Member
    @Joel I disagree completely with your statement. Many of us have played this game for 2 years. The value of gems is at it's least because of many things DB has chosen to do. The tower is not one of them. We have had a way to earn these gems for a long time. Sure, those of us with high end rosters will still breeze through it. The amount of gems in the game is not increasing. We constantly spend them on events, pvp and runes.

    I feel for the lower level guys. The guys that have to sacrifice guys just to make it through round one of fast attacks. I feel for people that get 10 floors of solaris meta teams with runes. We have our teams that beat them. But we only have so many teams. They start with all abilities. We start with first.

    But seeing 10 solaris teams before was ok because they didn't have runes. Brute force would finish them off eventually. Now, I don't know.

    I'd love to see the tower changed. Turn it into a set of islands that are scaled for level. Let us use a full team (with skills reset like PVP) no matter if they die the previous level. Start at the bottom level and work your way to the top. Make the top level actually be hard. (Never understood that choice.)
    9gJSaHl.gif
  • urrr wrote: »
    It's been said in the past. But why not two towers one as is lower the gems.. One Challenge Tower 300 gems triple the gold.

    Maybe add materials too!. 1 specific type a day or a week

    Something like this has to be a better way to go. I'm all for a harder tower that can't just be auto ran with 2 heroes, but new players already have a mountain to climb. Tower could scale with campaign progress. Normal mode tower with zero runes, cm tower with teams capped rune power of 3000. Then boss tower with full rune power, could even add more floors. Rewards can also scale with each level

  • pcg0d wrote: »
    @Joel I disagree completely with your statement. Many of us have played this game for 2 years. The value of gems is at it's least because of many things DB has chosen to do. The tower is not one of them. We have had a way to earn these gems for a long time. Sure, those of us with high end rosters will still breeze through it. The amount of gems in the game is not increasing. We constantly spend them on events, pvp and runes.

    I feel for the lower level guys. The guys that have to sacrifice guys just to make it through round one of fast attacks. I feel for people that get 10 floors of solaris meta teams with runes. We have our teams that beat them. But we only have so many teams. They start with all abilities. We start with first.

    But seeing 10 solaris teams before was ok because they didn't have runes. Brute force would finish them off eventually. Now, I don't know.

    I'd love to see the tower changed. Turn it into a set of islands that are scaled for level. Let us use a full team (with skills reset like PVP) no matter if they die the previous level. Start at the bottom level and work your way to the top. Make the top level actually be hard. (Never understood that choice.)

    Off of this, I DO like the idea of the A/I roster vs. your roster. With that in mind, all heroes can only appear once on the tower. No more 8 MK floors, 7 Solaris floors (like mine today, only to have Floor 11 be . . . Willow, Stonefist, Mangle and some random normal speeder, ha).

    Shockingly enough, I haven't seen Balog, Abigail or Alexandros in the tower at all. Wonder why. Barely any reptiles either.

    Nope, I'd say I see Shade, MK, Ponti and Solaris the most. Fair # of Igoroks as well.
  • How about using this update to add regular orb rewards back into the game? They've been gone since the crown reward changes and despite new heroes being added, they have not kept up.
  • Hi, to confirm,
    You arent actually adding runes right? just scaling up the stats by some arbitrary constant? Because if you were adding runes, it would be useful to know what kinds of runes are being added especially those with 4th stats.
  • They're including the runes that were equipped on the defenses when they originally took them. Each level you meet in the tower is someone's defense from PVP.
  • JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
    ^That
    Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
    www.bossfightentertainment.com
«1345
Sign In or Register to comment.

© 2015 Big Fish Games. Inc., Big Fish, the Big Fish logo, and Dungeon Boss are
trademarks of Big Fish Games, Inc., used with permission www.bigfishgames.com