Tower of Pwnage Change: Runic Rumble

Comments

• @JackHallow666 - i agree with everything you say and hats off to you for going back and forth :). i remember back in the day when we needed bait teams for tower and very few guilds were able to get 10500 crowns. Now they just give resources out from guild rewards and pvp.

You said it before but i will repeat it. You can't max everything out in a month. This is a slow leveling game that takes time so my advice be patient or spend money.
    The EMPIRE :: The Aegis of Athena
    KuK1uXt.png
  • By the way, @CentralCommand, you can start with any amount of gems when crafting a superior. If you run out of gems while crafting, simply close out the app and reopen. The only downside is that you can’t hit Craft again or it’ll bring up the Rune you were working on.

I have a Greater Life Rune I’m working on right now in there. The devs will probably patch this eventually, but it’s not like I’m saying anything new. Everyone’s known about this for a while, or so I thought.

Yea I know but if you start with like 1200 gems and it doesn't go legendary before that last tune you either have to buy 1200 gems or not go into the crafting menu for 4 days. I guess the latter is doable? Hopefully you don't need to do one of those dailies that requires that to get your 10 quests...
    centralcommand
  • ODPODP Member
    This change does little to nothing to affect maxed out level 70 players. It might require a few extra button clicks to get through. But what it does is severely punish lower level players that the game has already forced to level up way too fast. It is especially galling that they lie about it by stating it's PVP practice. It shows a level of disrespect that we're that stupid to see that through that.
  • Now you can say that new players don't know the consequences of levelling normally by collecting quest experience, but in no way does the game force new players to level too fast.

• NullNull Member
    Can we not have 20 post hating on @JackHallow666 for him giving his opinion?

Thanks.

Pointing out math errors is not hating. And I really don't know how we even got to that since the whole premise is lower level players now can't complete the tower. So being generous and saying that they can get to floor 6, that means what 50 gems from daily quests plus 50 from the tower = 100 gems a day. So 700 gems a week, so yes 1 rune per month, if you spend absolutely no gems anywhere else. Hope you're not in a guild or a new hero doesn't get released!
    Drocas wrote: »
    i remember back in the day when we needed bait teams for tower and very few guilds were able to get 10500 crowns. Now they just give resources out from guild rewards and pvp.

LOL as has been said this is not the same game as when you couldn't hit 10500. But continue to shake your fist and talk about the old days as players leave and we get cool new specials like the daily gems price going up by 3x.
    Rocksor wrote: »
    Now you can say that new players don't know the consequences of levelling normally by collecting quest experience, but in no way does the game force new players to level too fast.

please I beg of you try to slow level. You can't do any campaign so you have to get tokens through summons. Oh what's that? You need gems for summons? Do the tower? Oh they just made it so you can't do the tower. The only people who slow level are alts who don't mind it taking 2+ years.
    ODP wrote: »
    This change does little to nothing to affect maxed out level 70 players. It might require a few extra button clicks to get through. But what it does is severely punish lower level players that the game has already forced to level up way too fast. It is especially galling that they lie about it by stating it's PVP practice. It shows a level of disrespect that we're that stupid to see that through that.

Exactly. But we're crazy I guess.
  • LietoLieto Member
    edited October 31
    I tend to agree with most of what @Anûbis said...

To add to that rather good list - if you want to add runes to to tower defenses, and i don't really care either way, but should you not let us see what those runes are?
  • Did they revert the changes? I ran the tower last night and it seemed very easy again.

• JackHallow666JackHallow666 Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    Okay okay I see now I messed up on the math. I was tired, okay? 1,800 gems is still more than enough to make a 5* Legendary Greater. You’re likely not gonna get to the last tune before it’s maxed anyways.

Jeez.
    Level: 70
    Favorite hero: Bovus
    Favorite element: Nature
    Currently: Trying to max out Epics
  • Null wrote: »
    Now you can say that new players don't know the consequences of levelling normally by collecting quest experience, but in no way does the game force new players to level too fast.

please I beg of you try to slow level. You can't do any campaign so you have to get tokens through summons. Oh what's that? You need gems for summons? Do the tower? Oh they just made it so you can't do the tower. The only people who slow level are alts who don't mind it taking 2+ years.

Actually, I am a slow leveller for my primary account. I have been levelling since January, and just hit level 48 last week. I realized on my first try of figuring out the game (during the 1st week) that levelling was a burden for free to play. I did some research on the forums. And it did confirm that you need resources to compete in PVP. Things did go faster once I could run the tower at level 28 (it changed to level 17 recently). I did fine with those rare rune drops in mid-level dungeons, slowly worked my way up to legend just to get the PVP runes.
  • NullNull Member
    Actually, I am a slow leveller for my primary account. I have been levelling since January, and just hit level 48 last week. I realized on my first try of figuring out the game (during the 1st week) that levelling was a burden for free to play. I did some research on the forums. And it did confirm that you need resources to compete in PVP. Things did go faster once I could run the tower at level 28 (it changed to level 17 recently). I did fine with those rare rune drops in mid-level dungeons, slowly worked my way up to legend just to get the PVP runes.

Well you're one of the few that I know of then. But congrats to you, I genuinely don't know how you're doing it. And would you say you think the way you're playing is a viable way to play for the majority of players out there? Especially now with the changes to the tower? I'm genuinely curious
  • NullNull Member
    kalamadea wrote: »
    Did they revert the changes? I ran the tower last night and it seemed very easy again.

I don't think so I had a Sir William who was pretty clearly runed for DR and annoyingly took like 4 rounds to kill.
  • Null wrote: »

Well you're one of the few that I know of then. But congrats to you, I genuinely don't know how you're doing it. And would you say you think the way you're playing is a viable way to play for the majority of players out there? Especially now with the changes to the tower? I'm genuinely curious

I am generally a casual player, so maybe do 30 minutes a day for daily crowns and the tower. When guild events are around, I do put in the same time that the level 70s of my guild put in, and can contribute greatly to the rune rewards available from these games; typically in the top 15. I can complete the event quests generally because of the Legend PVP runes that I have acquired. Having those runes, means more gems to spend on crafting or guild events if I like. Hero tokens are acquired mainly through the honor store or events with tickets. I have no issues with the new towers right now.

If people did not look at level 70 as the best place in the game, sure they can enjoy themselves as they slowly go up as I do. There are certainly more options available in PVP. The mechanics of the game really doesn't change much, just the "it group" of heroes.
    edited October 31
    You know what they could do? They could add ways to get more stuff in the tower. Little challenges and stuff you could complete for points that would translate into rewards.

Let's say at level 70, there's 5 tiers of rewards: 100 points, 150 points, 200 points, 300 points, and 500 points. For every floor you complete, you get 10 points. So just by completing it, you'll get the first reward. Theoretically speaking... let's say that's slightly below what it is now. 250 gems, plus the other useless crap. Maybe a couple less Yorick tokens, but who cares?

However, if you can complete some tiny side-quests or fulfill some requirements, you'll get more points! These things could change day-to-day. For example, beating a floor with a Beast and a Rogue on your team will get you +10 points for that floor. Beating it without any heroes dying would get you and extra +10 points, so 30 total for that floor. Beat every floor that way and you'll get 360 points - which could get you some pretty good stuff! Let's say getting the second-to-best prize would get you 400 gems, increased gold, evo, and tokens, plus some rare hero tokens - like 5 Solaris tokens.

Then there could be challenges based on how you did throughout the whole tower. If you beat the whole tower without a single hero dying, +50 points. If only one or two heroes died, +25 points. If 3 or more died, no bonus. If you didn't change your team comp throughout the entire tower, that could be another +50 points. +25 if you changed a total of 4 or less heroes. The top reward could be the previous rewards, plus a heroic summon!

I think this could make the tower way more interesting and fun. It may take longer, but it wouldn't feel like the same, stale crap you're used to every day. Plus, lower levels would be able to complete certain challenges and land a lot of points for good rewards, without having to necessarily beat all 12 floors!

Of course, I don't think this is the only solution. I believe if they changed the tower, the first thing they should focus on is making it easier for lower levels. All they'd have to do is lower the rewards a little, I think. Then making it possible for a level 28 who just unlocked it would be justified. If I remember one thing from being low-leveled, it was that crushing feeling of, 'Wow! I just unlocked this cool new daily challenge! ...And I'm probably not gonna be able to beat it until I'm level 60 (the max level at the time)... Woo...' If you make it so newbies who just unlocked it can win right away, you'll inspire them to keep playing and doing the tower every day. The tower should be a reason for players to keep coming back, not something that drives them away.
  • Some really good ideas here @JackHallow666

Aha! I knew I had it in me to redeem myself on this thread. I forgot to mention, PWNage points could be affected by your score, too. No biggie, though. Just a bit less points if you don't make Tier 2 rewards, a lot more if you get Tier 4 or 5.

Oh, and maybe some more improvements to the PWNage shop. I think it should be like the event shops, but with smaller selection that rotates every day. They could put skins in there, rune materials, 3x Material or 2x gold boosts, ya know. The stuff we all desperately need right now.
  • NullNull Member
    @kalamadea @JackHallow666 Agreed. There are many great ideas all over this thread for ways to improve this. I hope that DB gives them some consideration.
  • DM666DM666 Member
    edited November 1
    @JackHallow666 - I love a lot of your ideas.... that would be a really cool way to make the tower more fun and challenging! I do have one disagreement with your ideas though, and that's having an 'easier' tower for 'lower' levels. Just because a person is a higher level does not necessarily mean they have a strong roster, especially at level 70.... there can be HUGE differences at that level! I think, more importantly, would be the opportunity to CHOOSE what level of difficulty you want. Pairing people up with a hard tower just cause they're level 70 does not seem fair. Plus, maybe one day someone doesn't have time to tackle a time consuming difficult tower run and just wants a few rewards for the 'easy' one! Choice seems like a good option here, just like we have choices in PVP!
  • I still like the idea of Normal, Challenge, and Boss towers.
    Position: Officer of Evil Inc.
    Favorite Hero: Ekko
    "Once you have accepted your flaws, no one can use them against you."
    Photo provided by Jackhallow666.
    DM666 wrote: »
    @JackHallow666 - I love a lot of your ideas.... that would be a really cool way to make the tower more fun and challenging! I do have one disagreement with your ideas though, and that's having an 'easier' tower for 'lower' levels. Just because a person is a higher level does not necessarily mean they have a strong roster, especially at level 70.... there can be HUGE differences at that level! I think, more importantly, would be the opportunity to CHOOSE what level of difficulty you want. Pairing people up with a hard tower just cause they're level 70 does not seem fair. Plus, maybe one day someone doesn't have time to tackle a time consuming difficult tower run and just wants a few rewards for the 'easy' one! Choice seems like a good option here, just like we have choices in PVP!

I think if you read every comment in this thread, you wouldn't have said that the tower shouldn't be easier for lower levels.

I got that idea beaten out of me.
  • DM666DM666 Member
    Sorry I suppose I worded that wrong - I didn’t mean to say the tower shouldn’t be easier for lower levels.... I meant it shouldn’t be easier for ONLY lower levels!
    DM666 wrote: »
    Sorry I suppose I worded that wrong - I didn’t mean to say the tower shouldn’t be easier for lower levels.... I meant it shouldn’t be easier for ONLY lower levels!

Why? That would be cutting the top players slack too. As a level 70 player, I can say we don’t need the tower to be easier. I was able to beat the tower every day once I got to around level 55, and I never slow-leveled.
  • Giving away 300 gems per day for a cakewalk is simply unsustainable

Translation:

You aren't spending enough on gems in the shop.
    KashHatton
    KashHatton wrote: »
    Giving away 300 gems per day for a cakewalk is simply unsustainable

Translation:

You aren't spending enough on gems in the shop.

Well... yeah, basically. Put yourself in their shoes. They gotta make money. If everyone’s satisfied with using the free gems they get every day, they either gotta devalue gems or take some away from the tower so you buy something.
  • Or reduce the number of gems awarded by the daily quests, right? 5 gems? So spendy! How about 3 instead?

ey98a8bjkplx.png
  • KangKang Member
    ...or new content (non-event) with awesome rewards could be introduced that requires superior legendary runes and precise teams to clear. Players would then feel the need to spend more gems to get their teams up to par to clear said content. As it stands now, Boss mode offers no worthwhile rewards so what's the point in crafting those superior runes other than having nothing else to do?
  • FatCat69 wrote: »
    Or reduce the number of gems awarded by the daily quests, right? 5 gems? So spendy! How about 3 instead?

Would it help to know that they doubled the gold payout? LOL
    Because at only 220 million gold I was starting to worry where my next rune unequip was coming from.

(Is it sad that I had to seriously think hard to think of a single thing I really need gold for in the game? We used to burn so much gold with raid refreshes looking for high trophy victims, but with streaks in play, I can’t think of the last time I needed to pay for a refresh.)

Oh, nevermind. Rune unequips are FREE now. Just need to collect 333 daily quests to be able to afford it.

---
    Wasi | The Potato Army
  • ...or switch to a model that does not require additional profit from players to survive and thrive.

Just because many companies are dedicated to maximizing their profit does not mean that all must. There's no law that requires companies to scramble for ever increasing profits at the expense of sustainability. Seems like such a company would eventually burn out and as it did only a few would profit.

And in my view, there is more at stake than just financial profit where interactive online entertainment activities are concerned.

I'll tend to visit and give money to companies that agree with my values.

Now I gotta go collect more water evos.
    Because at only 220 million gold I was starting to worry where my next rune unequip was coming from.

(Is it sad that I had to seriously think hard to think of a single thing I really need gold for in the game? We used to burn so much gold with raid refreshes looking for high trophy victims, but with streaks in play, I can’t think of the last time I needed to pay for a refresh.)

Oh, nevermind. Rune unequips are FREE now. Just need to collect 333 daily quests to be able to afford it.

Several months ago I commented on how I had 100 million gold (or thereabouts) and couldn't see the point of collecting much more, and a few voices were raised telling me how I'd need all that gold so I should keep collecting as fast as possible, above and beyond what you get from just playing normally.

Many months later I've still never dipped below 100 million. I've bounced between 100 and 120 million, currently 116 million. Gold is not the limiting factor once you have all your heroes at level 70 with maxed abilities and halfway decent runes, it's gems to craft new superior runes. Hence the desire to make gems even harder to acquire for free.