GUILD EVENT ANNOUNCEMENT: The Next Guild PVP Grand Tourney Will Begin Thursday, November 16th!

Comments

• Joel wrote: »
    coneyK wrote: »
    Because I'm not certain as to why running this event before fixing the combat system is a good idea.

We have responded to the feedback from the last pvp event by patching code that caused crashes, ensuring that the error that caused tickets to disappear will not happen again, and working with the Meta Focus group to increase the impact of the PVP buffs/debuffs.

Is the current combat system as good as we hope the new one will be? No, but we don't think that simply abandoning PVP events in the meantime is necessary. The last PVP event's problems were mostly technical (tickets going away, some crashing issues, etc.) and not design based (ticket shop formatting, using trophies as the points, etc.), and with the technical problems fixed, we are hoping for a smooth event that everyone can enjoy. :)

I’m not sure I understand how the scoring will work. I agree with the logic regarding cost/ trophy mentioned above, but I am not clear on how the points will work. Do you mean that the points will be different from last time? And can you comment on what the plan is regarding points or do we have to wait until Thursday?
  • Also, sorry for the second question, but does this also mean the thresholds for prizes will change?
  • Monkeynuts wrote: »
    DwightFry wrote: »
    So a week with little to do followed by shoving pvp down our throats Tnx DB

As crazy as it sounds, some people actually like PvP.

And as crazy as it sounds most people don't

Most? Citation needed. Plus BVS loves PVP.

Citation given get a life there's more to it than topping a board on a game
  • JackHallow666JackHallow666 Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    Monkeynuts wrote: »

What is life, if not another game to get to the top of the leaderboard on?
    Level: 70
    Favorite hero: Bovus
    Favorite element: Nature
    Currently: Trying to max out Epics
  • JackHallow666JackHallow666 Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    FatCat69 wrote: »
    I think that’s someone playing “condiments”.

*specifically Ketchup

Does salt count as a condiment?
    Level: 70
    Favorite hero: Bovus
    Favorite element: Nature
    Currently: Trying to max out Epics
  • PVP Tournament Idea: Give heroes scaling stat buffs based on their tier (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Legendary). The twist? Bronze heroes get good buffs, Legendary heroes get nerfed.

A PVP tournament ruled by Abigail and Takumi, where a brittle Solaris takes a back seat? Sounds hilarious. Sign me up.

Also, does anyone want to say what non-technical problems they had with the last pvp event. Because I'm pretty sure the assertion that there were none is... not correct.

For me, the last pvp event was too grindy and thrusted current issues with the meta into the spotlight (SOLARIS SOLARIS SOLARIS EVERY FIGHT).
  • iphonesheepiphonesheep Member
    edited November 12
    l
    And you could put yours back where it was

Put my phone back ? But i dont dislike pvp, that's you Mr. Delicate:)
  • DwightFry wrote: »

What is life, if not another game to get to the top of the leaderboard on?

The board game life ?
  • FatCat69 wrote: »
    I think that’s someone playing “condiments”.

*specifically Ketchup

Does salt count as a condiment?

It does! So does vinegar.

• DwightFry wrote: »

Thats what the kids at the bottom of the leaderboard always say. Also, nothing to do with supporting your most claim. Salt levels seem a little high.

• Monkeynuts wrote: »

Thats what the kids at the bottom of the leaderboard always say. Also, nothing to do with supporting your most claim. Salt levels seem a little high.

I was instructed to put my phone down by the salt shaker , I can feel soy sauce in my veins
  • l
    And you could put yours back where it was

Put my phone back ? But i dont dislike pvp, that's you Mr. Delicate:)

I could suggest a bigger phone for you so it doesn't slip out by they don't make Em that big...
  • I'm sorry that was uncalled for wait hold on there's a call for you from Dolly..:..
  • FatCat69FatCat69 Member
    edited November 13
    @Joel @Eej

Please consider leaving the streaks in place for the PvP event. All removing them does is reduce this to who can bang the buttons the fastest. It completely removes skill from the game.

Why would you intentionally remove skill from a competition? That’s just monumentally stupid and counterproductive. We get that complaint every time there’s a Guild Games or a competition — the entire thing is reduced to mindless grind.

Let’s keep skill in the game. Leave streaks alone. Whoever is able to adapt most quickly and maintain their streaks should be rewarded with higher trophies as we are currently.

Also please consider changing things up mid event. If you have a four day event please either slowly add in the debuffs one by one or change the debuffs in effect halfway through.

Also, ditch the rune unequip fees for the entire event. It’s asinine to force people to completely rerune their heroes to accommodate a temporary but drastic shift in the meta. This would also reduce complaints from those already annoyed by your introduction of completely random buffs and debuffs for the event.
    @Joel @Eej

Please consider leaving the streaks in place for the PvP event. All removing them does is reduce this to who can bang the buttons the fastest. It completely removes skill from the game.

Why would you intentionally remove skill from a competition? That’s just monumentally stupid and counterproductive. We get that complaint every time there’s a Guild Games or a competition — the entire thing is reduced to mindless grind.

Let’s keep skill in the game. Leave streaks alone. Whoever is able to adapt most quickly and maintain their streaks should be rewarded with higher trophies as we are currently.

Also please consider changing things up mid event. If you have a four day event please either slowly add in the debuffs one by one or change the debuffs in effect halfway through.

Also, ditch the rune unequip fees for the entire event. It’s asinine to force people to completely rerune their heroes to accommodate a temporary but drastic shift in the meta. This would also reduce complaints from those already annoyed by your introduction of completely random buffs and debuffs for the event.
    All of this ^
  • Mike as much as I agree that in theory removing streaks reduces the skill required, streaks also massively benefits people who can play all day and night to keep streaks running.

Bearing in mind in normal week to week pvp I benefit from streaks as I am relatively good at doing 30-50 wins in a row most days. It is however a very nice change when they are removed as it means I can pvp not just when I have 4 hours spare but at any point during the day without being disadvantaged.

Like many players I would favour an altered streak format but I lieu of that, this makes a nice change.
  • FoozleFoozle Member
    edited November 13
    @FatCat69 -- Definitely agree with your point that having streaks will benefit higher skilled players and so if the competition is designed to reward the best players, then they should stay in. However, I'm with @ace_1650cp in terms of not liking streaks from a quality of life perspective. I don't want to feel compelled to set my alarm every two hours just to maintain a streak.

I think there is a simple solution, but not sure how difficult it would be for them to program in. Why not just remove the streak expiration timer for the duration of the event? That way you get the best of both worlds. You keep the streaks in the game, but eliminate the need to babysit the game every two hours for 4 days straight.

Probably too late for this event, but something they should consider going forward.

Edit: I wanted to amend my post for two points. First, personally I don't mind the streaks being gone as it make the event a bit less stressful. I'm not a hugh fan of pvp anyway, so lower stress is good.

Second, I didn't think of this initially, but in some ways streaks introduces a lot of RNG into the mix, which could make for a less fair outcome. Take an example where two different players both play 100 matches. They both win 98 and lose 2 -- the two losses happen because they faced extremely tough teams for those matches. If the first player gets the two tough matches/losses at the beginning or end of the 100 match run, the point loss from the losses won't matter very much. If the second player gets the two tough matches spread out over the course of play so that they break long streaks, the point loss will be greater. So, in this example, both players were equally skilled and had the same win/loss ratio, but player 1 will get more points due to luckier placement of opponents.

Now over the course of 4 days and taking into account there are 50 players per guild, the RNG would likely even out somewhat, so maybe that isn't a huge factor in terms of fairness, but when looking at individual performance it could have some impact.
    Post edited by Foozle on
  • RocksorRocksor Member
    edited November 13
    PVP skill would be better demonstrated with no refreshes allowed (both automatic timer and manual) and no streaks allowed. Your opponent does not change until you either lose to them or beat them. It does not matter what category they are in. You beat the easy opponent, the medium and hard choice does not change until you choose to fight them. So that hard opponent will stay in the hard slot until the end of Guild PVP tournament if you decide not to fight it.
  • JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
    liliphire wrote: »
    Joel wrote: »
    coneyK wrote: »
    Because I'm not certain as to why running this event before fixing the combat system is a good idea.

We have responded to the feedback from the last pvp event by patching code that caused crashes, ensuring that the error that caused tickets to disappear will not happen again, and working with the Meta Focus group to increase the impact of the PVP buffs/debuffs.

Is the current combat system as good as we hope the new one will be? No, but we don't think that simply abandoning PVP events in the meantime is necessary. The last PVP event's problems were mostly technical (tickets going away, some crashing issues, etc.) and not design based (ticket shop formatting, using trophies as the points, etc.), and with the technical problems fixed, we are hoping for a smooth event that everyone can enjoy. :)

I’m not sure I understand how the scoring will work. I agree with the logic regarding cost/ trophy mentioned above, but I am not clear on how the points will work. Do you mean that the points will be different from last time? And can you comment on what the plan is regarding points or do we have to wait until Thursday?

Points will be the same as last time. The number of trophies you earn is your 'point' contribution for your guild. Losing trophies reduces your contribution, but your contribution cannot go below zero.
    Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
    www.bossfightentertainment.com
  • philphil Member
    Points will be the same as last time. The number of trophies you earn is your 'point' contribution for your guild. Losing trophies reduces your contribution, but your contribution cannot go below zero.

Is anything changed besides a bugfix for the disappearing tickers and new buffs/debuffs? If the answer is no, then we know basically everything already. And that would be a nice position to be in.

• JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
    phil wrote: »

Is anything changed besides a bugfix for the disappearing tickers and new buffs/debuffs? If the answer is no, then we know basically everything already. And that would be a nice position to be in.

That is correct. We have not made any inherent changes to the system, only bug fixes and buff/debuff changes, as the feedback we got last time around indicated that players generally didn't have a problem with the event's design, just the bugs that occurred.
    Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
    www.bossfightentertainment.com
  • ODPODP Member

That is correct. We have not made any inherent changes to the system, only bug fixes and buff/debuff changes, as the feedback we got last time around indicated that players generally didn't have a problem with the event's design, just the bugs that occurred.

Hopefully you also listened to the feedback from last indicating how it was a disastrously blatant cash grab that seriously lowered the morale of your dedicated player base, with the paltry rewards for a ton of tough grinding a serious insult.
  • ODP wrote: »

Hopefully you also listened to the feedback from last indicating how it was a disastrously blatant cash grab that seriously lowered the morale of your dedicated player base, with the paltry rewards for a ton of tough grinding a serious insult.

They haven't listened to any player's feedback for months now. This will no doubt, be another blatant cash grab as are all major events lately.
  • MattCauthronMattCauthron Member
    edited November 13
    ODP wrote: »

I think you are getting events confused. The last PVP event was nowhere close to a "cash grab". They gave out an absurd number of pvp tickets. So many in fact that all but our most dedicated members weren't able to use them all and many had 100-200 extra tickets after the event ended.

Now the last Guild Boss Invasion which you're assumably referring to...
  • ODPODP Member
    Ha, you might be right about that... the list of grievances is so long, I'm getting them mixed up
  • The last PVP event was just a long and painful slog/grind. With AOE nerfed, raids took forever, and with the buffs/debuffs never changing throughout the event it was just plain boring by the end of the four days. Suuuuper boring to be doing the same thing, without any kind of change up, for four days.

Loved the generosity with the raid tickets. Hated the drawn out grind.
    The last PVP event was just a long and painful slog/grind. With AOE nerfed, raids took forever, and with the buffs/debuffs never changing throughout the event it was just plain boring by the end of the four days. Suuuuper boring to be doing the same thing, without any kind of change up, for four days.

Loved the generosity with the raid tickets. Hated the drawn out grind.

Though I also hated this grind - I realize that I'm in very tiny minority of the games population who actually played more than I enjoyed. Most people (Like 99.9% of players) just play the number of raids they enjoy raiding and then stop. Realize that the difference between first and 5th was like 3x the number of raids per member (or more) and the reward difference essentially nothing. So while this may be a valid complaint that I would love to see changed (For personal reason b/c I'm dreading this event and the required grind) - it's also a complaint from a relatively very very small group of players.

Don't worry though. I'm sure AOA will be there ensuring your miserable number of required raids will stay as consistent as possible while we also raid a miserable amount of times... except for our case instead of a small difference between us and fifth, there's no difference.

#feelsbadman
  • @MattCauthron, you're the best. ;) Sincerely, dude...nothing but respect for you and AOA.

We are definitely a crazy few. I kinda almost found it comical that weekend, just the insane number of raid tickets coming down the pipe. I actually did enjoy it, but the length of the raids was what made it a burden. The combination of Solaris (fresh to the meta) and the AOE nerf made for much longer raids than normal.

Toughest part for me was that my wife dragged me out for an unexpected camping trip that weekend and I only had certain windows with network connectivity that I could actually work on those monumental number of raids. Will be interesting to see how it goes when I have plenty of signal and battery life. ;)
  • kalamadeakalamadea Member
    edited November 14
    @FatCat69 and @Foozle are nailing this.

1. Keep in streaks to encourage skill and remove the timer for the duration of the event to prevent sleep deprivation.

2. Please shorten the event to 3 days OR change the buff/debuffs after 2 days.

3. Allow free rune unquip for the duration of the event.

I think with these three changes, you'll have a much happier playerbase. @Joel @Eej @DB_Dillon
    Post edited by kalamadea on