Beating Goretusk on PvP defences - any viable strategies?

He's on about 80% of those I face. My current strategy is try to avoid him...

I've tried the Goretusk/Solaris +2 Vs Goretusk/Solaris + 2 and like lots of beast on beast fights the outcome is unpredictably but the bout lengthy.

I've tried a Lily/Zomm/Goretusk/Astrid and various combinations - Ferno, Koros, Ember etc. with some success, but, again, never sure why I win some and lose others.

So how do you beat Goretusk defence teams?

Comments

• I would watch replays of the Boss 100 leaderboards. That should give you a number of different options.

• Try a Shade/Daeris combo. Shade does 1.75x damage against tanks, plus he'll put Fear and Haunted on GT with his opener. Ideally, get GT up to at least 3 stacks of Momentum, to drop his defense buff a bit. Then hit him with Daeris, who will benefit from Haunted and Fear and also do bonus damage because GT is male.

An extra benefit is that Daeris permanently lowers health with her opener, and the effect remains even through a rez from Solaris, so it takes much less to kill (or re-kill) GT (and the rest of his team) after her attack.
  • Most of the time you will have to use a GT team to beat a GT team.

I am having success with Shade/Ferno, GT, Lily, Sol.

Good runes also required.
  • We've been using Ferno Lily Sol GT to defeat any defense you'll run across. Grog Sol Lily GT can also defeat anything. Replacing Grog with Hopper for 3+ beasts can make the fights go a bit faster. Just need the correct runes and strategy.
  • I hate how post-combat revamp this game has gone full defensive. Everything is DR DR DR DR.
  • Man, if you're doing DR DR DR DR, you're doing it SOOOOO wrong. Please don't mislead people.
  • @MattCauthron thanks. My Ferno, Lily and Sol are well runed but Goretusk a 4 star weakling, but I still won with that. I have one corrupted heart left so will probably put a guardian rune on GT and I should be fine. Thanks
  • FatCat69 wrote: »
    Man, if you're doing DR DR DR DR, you're doing it SOOOOO wrong. Please don't mislead people.

I'm sure at the Top 100 Boss players, there are many different runes at play, just because they can afford to put 5 stars legendary runes with 4th stats on each heroes. For majority of players with Improved and Greater runes only, there are not too many different options. Rule #1, make sure your heroes don't die in the first round. How to do that without significant amount of DR ?

Despite the revamp, i still see a lot of DR runes..
  • ScoutYo wrote: »
    Try a Shade/Daeris combo. Shade does 1.75x damage against tanks, plus he'll put Fear and Haunted on GT with his opener. Ideally, get GT up to at least 3 stacks of Momentum, to drop his defense buff a bit. Then hit him with Daeris, who will benefit from Haunted and Fear and also do bonus damage because GT is male.

An extra benefit is that Daeris permanently lowers health with her opener, and the effect remains even through a rez from Solaris, so it takes much less to kill (or re-kill) GT (and the rest of his team) after her attack.

Shade/Daris is flat out BROKEN.

• darren wrote: »
    Despite the revamp, i still see a lot of DR runes..

Trust me. They suck. You really want DEF and Health now.

My DR runes are still in place because I have been lazy and never found the time to rerune. My record last season was atrocious and only partially because of the PVP questlines. I haven't seen so many losses since watching the Browns' 2017 season. Truly horrible.
  • WasiWasi Member
    xandrew29 wrote: »
    I hate how post-combat revamp this game has gone full defensive. Everything is DR DR DR DR.

I like it. Defense + Guardian runes ensure PvP is not a one shot hero / one round match.
    ---
    The Potato Army
  • echonapechonap Member
    edited January 18
    Any time you are struggling in pvp, just watch replays from Boss 100. That is the best tip you can get, and it will always be applicable. Whether you have the runes to adapt that strategy, that's a different story. However, at least you learn kill order, timing of specials, etc.
  • FatCat69 wrote: »
    Man, if you're doing DR DR DR DR, you're doing it SOOOOO wrong. Please don't mislead people.

I'm talking about DR passives - Shade + Goretusk on defense. I'm saying that a lot of defenses are shooting for the max 90% DR between runes and passives on defense and it's a problem.

Here's why - GT + Shade exceeds the 90% DR threshold for dark heroes, right, so it's an automatic 90% DR to start the match. However, since all the DR comes from passives, there is the option to put all attack runes on your heroes. That leaves you with a crazy high D and O team, which eliminates the need to balance your rune choices.

Therefore, the only way to counter it is to use GT and Shade yourself, which in turn drastically reduces the options out there.

I've got a 6* Koros with 3 Sup and 2 Greater runes, nearly 8000 attack + 10% DP (was at 8600 attack with 0 DP, both Sup Festive Runes are on him to give him the energy to do his 2nd ability in round 2 ). There are some Zomms that I can't even do 3000 damage to in the first round, despite the fact that Koros does bonus damage to magical heroes.

Problem is that it takes multiple hits on GT to drop his DR to OK levels, and if the opponent has even 1 DR rune on his heroes (or another passive in play), even strong attack-runed heroes do minimal damage. Meanwhile, since the opponent doesn't need that much rune DR on his heroes, he can go attack, meaning his well protected defenders hit VERY hard (not to mention the zomminions that can be created). Since you're attack runed to counter his DR, your guys go down. Rinse and repeat.

It's frustrating, because going the same rune/character set-up for the attack leaves you at a disadvantage since the D attacks first.

I understand that 1-shot MK kills were super annoying, but now battles are lasting 6-10 turns instead of 3-4 (which I consider the sweet spot for combat). DR actually got a major buff with the revamp and GT being added.
  • Can someone tell me how people are runing and using lily. Im starting to see her and she seems pretty good, but I dont know what runes they are using because I keep seeing her in TOP.
  • Ududu2Ududu2 Member
    edited January 18
    tthebone wrote: »
    Can someone tell me how people are runing and using lily. Im starting to see her and she seems pretty good, but I dont know what runes they are using because I keep seeing her in TOP.

Currently have her on my team and my lily has all aegis and bulwark runes because growth gives her decent attack anyway plus her other abilities makes her even harder to kill so raids just turn into battles of attrition waiting for sapping vines to kill the opponents (or laughing hysterically when an epic procs and they kill themselves on lily's shield)
  • back to the original question - I use Ferno a lot against GT teams - Ferno makes GT my beach...
    www.youtube.com/DarthCraig
    www.twitter.com/Darth_Craig

Are all plugs shameless?
  • @ckall056 my go to team, especially if I see two fasts, is ferno, koros, astrid and Zomm, and that's going well, but if GT is in defence who domyou use with Ferno?
  • ckall056ckall056 Member
    edited January 19
    One of my fave teams is double damage reduction - GT-Ferno-Solaris + 1, the +1 is dictated by who the exact opponent is. Mostly Hopper (for Sol teams). Sometimes its shade, sometimes its furnace, and if the opponent is really slacking, sometimes it will be Leo for the perma-rez.
    www.youtube.com/DarthCraig
    www.twitter.com/Darth_Craig

Are all plugs shameless?