The hallmark of a good strategy game is counterplay. The enemy throws archers, you counter with cavalry. The enemy throws cavalry, you counter with pikemen. The enemy throws pikemen, you counter with archers. That sort of thing.
Goretusk teams, specifically with Lilly, Grog Gnog, and Solaris, don't really have that. Gore in particular is the issue because of how many different tools and synergies he has available to him that largely make him unreasonable to deal with.
What does he have at his disposal?
1) Fast. Him having a freeze wouldn't *normally* be a huge issue, but since he is fast this team guarantees a freeze against any non-immune team in defense. Koros, who could be a passable counter to beast teams due to removal of phoenix feather, is frozen and killed before he is able to accomplish anything.
2) Beast synergy. With Grog and Solaris, he has 30% increased attack and either 66% or 88% increased health based on the number of beasts on the team. That's what, having 4 stars over other characters? If he ever builds up momentum, Grog Gnog's bonus makes him actually deal significant damage to squishy characters with zero rune investments, when squishy characters can not do significant damage to Gore even with significant offensive investment.
3) Auto taunt. OK sure loads of tanks can taunt, but no other tank has the added utility that Gore can bring to the team.
4) MAMMOTH GUARD. This is the big one. Normally you would use a team with auto taunt to protect a squishy member who needs to survive to attack, and one could counter with shade. Not anymore, because everyone has 75% damage reduction. You could also counter by using AoE. Nope. There is no counterplay to this ability because you simply cannot get the damage penetration needed to do meaningful damage before reducing mammoth guard's power. I'm going to preface this by admitting I am not quite yet 70 and don't have a min/maxed team, but Shade -> Shadowblade seems to be some of the highest single target damage in the game and I only kill improperly runed Goretusks with that combo. Meanwhile, the entire rest of their team is more or less unable to be harmed. This is effectively preventing counter play. The most painful occurrence of this right now is Lilly, who can be killed normally with some dedication on the first round but becomes *absurdly* difficult to kill if she makes it to her second attack, and I can't find a way to kill her before second attack when Goretusk protects her.
5) Resurrection by Solaris. OK every character can be brought back, but let's remember something: the best counter to Solaris is eating her corpse when she dies. If she uses her final ability to resurrect her team, GT comes back with taunt thus removing that as an option, thus removing counterplay to Solaris. This forces me to play around leaving a character alive to force her fury move to deal damage to the team instead of resurrecting Goretusk, which leads to the issue of Grog's snow day enhanced frost breath freezing my team the same turn she wants to resurrect. Which means Goretusk's corpse *must* be removed, which requires dedicated members to do so. It's just too much.
As of right now I simply don't have a way to deal with Goretusk. I have every character, and probably the one that could help me (Daeris) is low stars due to how difficult it is to max her out. My tower win % is basically reflective of how many Goretusk teams I encounter, as a GT/GG/Lilly/Sol team is not possible for me to beat at equivalent level and rune progress with any combination of characters at my particular level.
It seems like the only way to deal with this to use the same team and hope to win the 15 minute long battle that I simply don't have time for every day.
Is there a fix on the horizon? I'm not asking for him to be removed from the game like MK was, but can we do something about mammoth guard? Alternatively, can we give someone a passive that grants massive amounts of penetration % to beasts? That at least makes it so there is a dedicated GT counter.
PVP isn't fun any more because of literally this one thing, and while I'll hold out for now if this remains the norm I just don't see myself sticking this game out long term.