Game has become a crash-aholic...and it keeps recording PVP matches as losses

For at least several weeks now, the game has been crashing like crazy. It happens in practically every aspect of the game (campaign dungeons, pvp, tower, even scrolling through my list of hero cards). I have not noticed any specific pattern to the crashing but it there are times when it will seem to slow down momentarily beforehand. No error messages or freezing occurs. The app just closes itself without warning and I have to restart it on my iPhone. Yesterday, it crashed at three separate points while I was completing the Tower. I'd say the game crashes at least 10 times each day.

Probably the most upsetting aspect of the crashing has to do with PvP. Four times in the last 3 days the game crashed just after I hit the button to start a PvP match (i.e., I had picked my opponent and my own team and was about to enter their dungeon). When I restarted the game, the match was counted against me as a loss even though it never actually started. The first two times it happened were during the previous season where streaks were turned off - so the cost was minimized. However, the two most recent times it happened were during the current season - where streaks are back on. The worst incident was the most recent crash; it ruined a win streak that was at least 22. I had to start over from the beginning.

I have not noticed any other obvious "costs" to the crashes when it happens during other parts of the game. For instance, when a crash interrupts the Tower run, it does not seem to count my team as dead. However, I can't be sure that there are not other problems that I just have not noticed.

I know that other users have experienced similar problems as I have seen them comment in the live chat. However, it does not seem to affect everyone.

I am hopeful that the devs can fix this problem. Thank you.

Comments

• denabugdenabug Member
    The game just crashed on me & ended my 40+ win streak. It was during a pvp battle that I was just about to win.
  • JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
    Hey @PugsOfWar. Out of curiosity, have you uninstalled/reinstalled the game recently? Apps naturally grow in size over time and a quick uninstall/reinstall can clear up some memory, and your crashes sound like they're memory related since there are no actual errors occurring.
    Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
    www.bossfightentertainment.com
  • FatCat69FatCat69 Member
    edited April 12
    It’s the new client. Things get sluggish and crash in low memory situations and the new client is a total memory hog.
  • Hi @Joel. I have not uninstalled/reinstalled in a long time. I will give it a shot and see what happens. My impression, however, is that @FatCat69 is correct about it being the new client. The timing of when the problem started fits as does the characterization of it being a memory issue. Reminds me of my old laptop when in was in need of a RAM upgrade.

Thanks for the response to both of you :)
  • @Joel. The uninstall/reinstall did not help. Game is still addicted to crash.
  • @Joel. Just had another's crash that registered as a pvp loss even though the match never started. Another streak ended prematurely. So far all of my losses when attacking this season have really been game crashes.

Frequent crashes are annoying enough but I could deal with it if all it meant was a brief delay before I got back to playing. What really frustrates me is when I have those raid tickets wasted and rewards forfeited, etc.

Any other suggestions for me to try would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great day :)
  • PugsOfWar wrote: »
    @Joel. Just had another's crash that registered as a pvp loss even though the match never started. Another streak ended prematurely. So far all of my losses when attacking this season have really been game crashes.

Frequent crashes are annoying enough but I could deal with it if all it meant was a brief delay before I got back to playing. What really frustrates me is when I have those raid tickets wasted and rewards forfeited, etc.

Any other suggestions for me to try would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great day :)

What device are you running?
  • @shiggity80. Thanks for writing. I am playing on a 128 GB iPhone 6 Plus with iOS 10.
  • PugsOfWar wrote: »
    @shiggity80. Thanks for writing. I am playing on a 128 GB iPhone 6 Plus with iOS 10.

I wonder if it's because of you not being on the latest iOS. Are you running any kind of jailbreak OS (not sure if that's the right term)?

iP6 is 3 generations behind the current 8 and X, so could be just old hardware dying, though DB should run fine on iP6.

So to recap, maybe you're getting crashes because of: 1) older iOS, 2) older phone, 3) running different OS?
  • I have no problem on my 6 plus with 10.3.3. My iPhone 6 with 11.2.1 is sluggish and relatively unstable however.

The 6 plus has twice the memory that the 6 is packing, so it’s understandable that I have fewer issues on it.
  • @Joel @shiggity80 Sounds like I am using the same setup that works well for @FatCat69 but with the problems he experiences with his smaller iPhone. I've been reluctant to update to the latest iOS since doing so has caused a ton of misc problems for a family member on the same plan. Not sure if it is worth the risk :)
  • echonapechonap Member
    Do you restart the game after every 4-8 raids? Or do you raid until you crash? When I notice the game start to get laggy, I usually restart the app or a crash is imminent.
  • The game never really gets laggy on my iPhone 6 Plus. It simply crashes after 25-30 raids.

The game gets laggy after 4-5 raids on my iPhone 6. It's downright lethargic in every way -- scrolling, launching, raiding, etc. after I've been playing for 15-20 minutes. It's just completely broken on the iPhone 6.
  • @echonap. Thanks for the suggestion. I will try and see if that helps. Since I last posted I have upgraded the iOS on my phone. Now, in addition to the crashes, the entire game runs much worse in general. It sounds a lot like the lethargy that @FatCat69 describes in the post just before this one. Basically my iPhone 6 Plus acts just like an iPhone 6.
  • echonapechonap Member
    I play sometimes on an iPhone 5c (the plastic one) running the latest iOS and I've never had issues with crashes.
  • Thanks for the info, @PugsOfWar. I'll resist upgrading to a newer iOS.
  • gerfeagerfea Member
    I, too, run DB on my 3 year old iPhone 6 Plus (128 GB) at iOS 11.3 and have experienced the same lag issues described above. It did coincide with the newest client. It ran fine before that patch, but now I have to force exit the app after a couple of dungeons, crafting, rune management, etc. just to stop the unresponsiveness. It is getting to the point where it is more frustrating than fun to play, so will likely just stop playing since I don't plan on any new hardware anytime soon. Any other recommendations @Joel?
  • PugsOfWarPugsOfWar Member
    @Joel - Although the overall number of crashes seems to have decreased quite a bit, I am still seeing them. And once again, I had a crash right as I was about to start a PVP match. The match was counted as a loss for me even though I never actually met the enemy fighters.