Dungeon Boss Board Game Kickstarter [Cancelled, For Now]

JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
edited April 19 in Announcements
From @xtmn8r:

"Hey all!

We’ve gotten great feedback from the DB community and KS board game enthusiasts about how the boardgame can be better and why it isn’t resonating as we expected. So to make sure we deliver a fun and successful product, we have decided to cancel the Kickstarter for now. We will evaluate what we have, re-tool the game & product offers and re-launch it when it is ready.

That said, we made an awesome skin for Leonidus. We may not have reached our goal but as a thank you to all in our community, we will be granting the skin to ALL players level 15 and higher next week. All it will take is you logging in and claiming the skin. I will post more details on how to get it tomorrow.

Thanks!"
Post edited by Joel on
Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
www.bossfightentertainment.com
Tagged:

Comments

• @Joel

The event banner in game for the board game popped up initially, but after collecting my free tokens, it disappeared. Not sure if it's a bug or what not...just thought you should know.
  • I'm really excited to back this project!
    The in game reward shouldn't be a reskin, it should be a new hero that also gets shipped with a figure! That would generate more hype!
  • Yeah, this is huge! :smiley:
    Crimson's Links: DB Wiki | DeviantArt | Minecraft Forum | Twitter
    IGN: CrimsonKid
    Y8MqAzC.png
  • BryanBryan Member
    Not feeling super excited about this to be honest. I don’t know if I could find enough people who are that interested in Dungeon Boss to play a game with. I want to be excited about it and want people to have it, but unless there is some sort of in game bonus that is not readily available, I’m not going to throw money at it. The idea about a new hero being delivered with the game for pledgers is an excellent one, just so as long as they game doesn’t offer portals for it a month later. It’s a unique event, a unique request and it deserves a unique perk.
    Bryan79
    Potato Society
  • JackHallow666JackHallow666 Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    The bare minimum we need to donate to get anything is $99?

Hmm. I’ll pass.
  • Evil_SpiritsEvil_Spirits Unconfirmed, Member
    I would also like to support this but good god lol I think I'll just spend money in game here and there.
  • StinkyStinky Member
    I'm really excited to back this project!
    The in game reward shouldn't be a reskin, it should be a new hero that also gets shipped with a figure! That would generate more hype!

Ha ha! Nice one! But please, don't make jokes like that. They might take you at face value and it would be a shame if DB went down that road.
  • oredithoredith Member
    backers of game get in-game hero sorting..

>_>
    <_<
    soon™ - it's the answer to everything
  • BryanBryan Member
    So there was a meeting, where a group of real, living employees sat around a table and decided to market a kickstarter through a video game, based on that same video game. This group then also decided to set the contribution amounts of $10/$99/$1600 and not offer an in-game bonus to contributors, but instead gift all players with a Skin, if the project reaches its target budget within 30 days?

In the end, the team said “Yes, this seems like a good idea”?

:#
    Bryan79
    Potato Society
  • I budgeted $3 a month for the board game. What does that get me?
  • FatCat69 wrote: »
    I budgeted $3 a month for the board game. What does that get me?

Well, the game doesn't come out until June 2019, so you got 16 months. 16 months x $3 / month = $48. You can't afford the board game sadly :(
  • danacdanac Member
    FatCat69 wrote: »
    I budgeted $3 a month for the board game. What does that get me?

a shiny sticker.
  • I wanna be judgemental and whine about how expensive it seems, but then I remember how I'm about to spend a hundred bucks on some Warhammer miniatures >~<
    Beware dirt everywhere of your doom, for I am Life Reaper Broom
    You know what they say.

If you're greedy in the game, you're greedy in real life. :wink:
  • Bryan wrote: »
    So there was a meeting, where a group of real, living employees sat around a table and decided to market a kickstarter through a video game, based on that same video game. This group then also decided to set the contribution amounts of $10/$99/$1600 and not offer an in-game bonus to contributors, but instead gift all players with a Skin, if the project reaches its target budget within 30 days?

In the end, the team said “Yes, this seems like a good idea”?

:#

They missed the most lucrative contribution level: hero figurines. I’d drop $ for figurines as long as I wasn’t being gouged.
  • iphonesheepiphonesheep Member
    edited April 17
    @Joel I'd like some clarification for myself and presumably others ..
    Joel wrote: »

You can read all about the game and rewards at the link below. Spoilers: If the campaign gets funded EVERYONE in the mobile game will get a brand new skin for free!
    So you say everyone gets the skin,
    But project creator sandy has said only backers get the skin
    jga173f73dt2.jpg

So which is it ? Would the 1$ backer tier qualify a backer for the skin ?

• It makes me so mad when people complain about gaming companies getting more expensive so they need more funding, pay to win is good because it helps games stay alive, if they didn't have that mechanic this game would of died years ago from lack of funding, even worse we might have to do memberships if you guys make the big money Spenders stop spending... So cut it out!!

I'm hoping this is a joke because NO ONE likes pay to win except rich little kids. It actually kills a game because free players leave and the pay-to-winners have no one to face so they leave and the game dies. Just look at the new Battlefront. They had a legit pay-to-win system and the game died after only 2 weeks or so. The only hype generated was the outrage at their system.
  • DrocasDrocas Member
    I have no interest in playing the board at all, however i would love to collect those little guys. Will they be sold separately?
    The EMPIRE :: The Aegis of Athena
    KuK1uXt.png
  • toothlessmontoothlessmon Member
    edited April 17
    It makes me so mad when people complain about gaming companies getting more expensive so they need more funding, pay to win is good because it helps games stay alive, if they didn't have that mechanic this game would of died years ago from lack of funding, even worse we might have to do memberships if you guys make the big money Spenders stop spending... So cut it out!!

I'm hoping this is a joke because NO ONE likes pay to win except rich little kids. It actually kills a game because free players leave and the pay-to-winners have no one to face so they leave and the game dies. Just look at the new Battlefront. They had a legit pay-to-win system and the game died after only 2 weeks or so. The only hype generated was the outrage at their system.

Would you prefer subscriptions, this is exactly what happened to royal revolt 2, if you haven't heard of it, they weren't making aenough money so they tagged the game with a billion subscriptions you need to stay viable, I do not want that for dungeon boss, I prefer the way it is to Royal revolts current method, I hope you understand that subscriptions would kill this game and everyone that aren't the spoiled rich kids would stop playing, and battlefront also required subscriptions to actually play, I have the game, millions of people play it, the only problem is that it requires membership so I stopped playing, you can't trust the news or you tubers this time, I have seen how many people play this game, a lot, mainly because it adds an option for players to play non violent pvp...
    All hail the Jabberwonky-JarJar,Jabber,Jibber
    May the side of fun and nonsense reign supreme!!
    Fun Is the most important aspect of games, don't underestimate future meta heroes...
  • I don't want any cost that is needed for a viable player. Cost should speed things up and give cosmetics but free players should still be able to compete. Like what it is now.
  • toothlessmontoothlessmon Member
    edited April 17
    I don't want any cost that is needed for a viable player. Cost should speed things up and give cosmetics but free players should still be able to compete. Like what it is now.

I know thats what i am saying, but sometimes people explain that the resources are to expensive, I dont want those idiots to ruin the game for me by making this a subscription game, another thing that makes me mad is when they call this current form of the game and i quote "Pay to win"
    Fun Is the most important aspect of games, don't underestimate future meta heroes...
  • So in essence, pay-to-win is bad no matter what. If there is good content, people will buy it. It shouldn't be the only way to be competitive. Good content=money, not powerful content.
  • A little off topic but how do you get new weapons in FT2 without buying the premium pass? I have around 50 hours in the game and only got some very basic non-cosmetic items.
    A little off topic but how do you get new weapons in FT2 without buying the premium pass? I have around 50 hours in the game and only got some very basic non-cosmetic items.

The first thing you can do is look at the class-based achievements. Some of them give you new weapons.

The second thing you can do is look at the crafting menu in your inventory. There you can make new weapons, usually out of other weapons and metal - which you get by scrapping older weapons you have at least 2 of. :smile:
  • It makes me so mad when people complain about gaming companies getting more expensive so they need more funding, pay to win is good because it helps games stay alive, if they didn't have that mechanic this game would of died years ago from lack of funding, even worse we might have to do memberships if you guys make the big money Spenders stop spending... So cut it out!!

Would you prefer subscriptions, this is exactly what happened to royal revolt 2, if you haven't heard of it, they weren't making aenough money so they tagged the game with a billion subscriptions you need to stay viable, I do not want that for dungeon boss, I prefer the way it is to Royal revolts current method, I hope you understand that subscriptions would kill this game and everyone that aren't the spoiled rich kids would stop playing, and battlefront also required subscriptions to actually play, I have the game, millions of people play it, the only problem is that it requires membership so I stopped playing, you can't trust the news or you tubers this time, I have seen how many people play this game, a lot, mainly because it adds an option for players to play non violent pvp...

There’s are many other ways for a game to get money other than forcing players to pay to get ahead. Look at Team Fortress 2 - One of the most successful games of all time, and probably will be the most successful title we’ll see in our lifetimes. There’s literally no paying to win. No way to get an advantage by paying. It’s only through skill you can get better.

But how does it stay alive? Where do they get their money? Hats. Cosmetics. People pay TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars on HATS, things that don’t have a single advantage gameplay-wise! Normal, dedicated players of that game make this game’s whales look sad.

Am I saying DB should start making hats for every single hero, make a new hat store where you can buy skins and hats and outfits for your heroes? No. But would such a thing potentially save the game financially? Yes. There’s no way to know for sure, of course.

But while you’re talking about subscriptions and how they don’t work - Have you already forgotten the $2.99 gem subscription? That worked incredibly well. I bought it every month, and so did many others. It may not have been enough to keep the game alive, but the removal of it certainly hurt the game, I believe.

Another thing they could do is... simply stop being greedy. Right now a $20 package might get you a couple day’s worth of farming immediately. Why not make a $20 deal give you so much stuff, that it would take you months to farm up the same results? Why NOT make deals incredibly good? While some may think that is a bad idea because it would become even easier to just pay to win, it would also make it easier for those who don’t have hundreds to spend have a chance.

I understand there are those who won’t ever spend a cent - Whether because they literally can’t, or don’t want to - But those people weren’t going to have an advantage anyways. It may seem greedy and evil to say, ‘Screw the players who don’t pay’, but that’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying benefit those who spend more than they do now. At the very least, it would make spending money on this game feel less like a guilt-trip and a liability.

Plus, to keep the F2P’s happy, they could make events more generous. Think about it his way - F2P’s could gain large amounts of loot from generous events that take a week or so to complete. Meanwhile, people with some extra cash can just buy everything they could’ve earned in the event for $10, instantly. They don’t have a huge advantage, and maybe they’ll just not do the event, because they already got everything. Maybe someone will do the event AND buy the $10 package and have twice the stuff. I guarantee you that would make the devs more money than if you ran the event, and had everything you could obtain in the event split among four $25 packages (like they usually are).

Long story short, subscriptions can work, and there are ways to get players to pay without making the game P2Win.

If they make the subsciprions unneccasary then no one will buy them, well not no one, but not enough to keep the game floating i think, I really want for the game to not become royal revolt, i loved that game before they added subscriptions, now there is almost no way to be fully viable if you dont spend money

It makes me so mad when people complain about gaming companies getting more expensive so they need more funding, pay to win is good because it helps games stay alive, if they didn't have that mechanic this game would of died years ago from lack of funding, even worse we might have to do memberships if you guys make the big money Spenders stop spending... So cut it out!!

There’s are many other ways for a game to get money other than forcing players to pay to get ahead. Look at Team Fortress 2 - One of the most successful games of all time, and probably will be the most successful title we’ll see in our lifetimes. There’s literally no paying to win. No way to get an advantage by paying. It’s only through skill you can get better.

But how does it stay alive? Where do they get their money? Hats. Cosmetics. People pay TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars on HATS, things that don’t have a single advantage gameplay-wise! Normal, dedicated players of that game make this game’s whales look sad.

Am I saying DB should start making hats for every single hero, make a new hat store where you can buy skins and hats and outfits for your heroes? No. But would such a thing potentially save the game financially? Yes. There’s no way to know for sure, of course.

But while you’re talking about subscriptions and how they don’t work - Have you already forgotten the $2.99 gem subscription? That worked incredibly well. I bought it every month, and so did many others. It may not have been enough to keep the game alive, but the removal of it certainly hurt the game, I believe.

Another thing they could do is... simply stop being greedy. Right now a $20 package might get you a couple day’s worth of farming immediately. Why not make a $20 deal give you so much stuff, that it would take you months to farm up the same results? Why NOT make deals incredibly good? While some may think that is a bad idea because it would become even easier to just pay to win, it would also make it easier for those who don’t have hundreds to spend have a chance.

I understand there are those who won’t ever spend a cent - Whether because they literally can’t, or don’t want to - But those people weren’t going to have an advantage anyways. It may seem greedy and evil to say, ‘Screw the players who don’t pay’, but that’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying benefit those who spend more than they do now. At the very least, it would make spending money on this game feel less like a guilt-trip and a liability.

Plus, to keep the F2P’s happy, they could make events more generous. Think about it his way - F2P’s could gain large amounts of loot from generous events that take a week or so to complete. Meanwhile, people with some extra cash can just buy everything they could’ve earned in the event for $10, instantly. They don’t have a huge advantage, and maybe they’ll just not do the event, because they already got everything. Maybe someone will do the event AND buy the $10 package and have twice the stuff. I guarantee you that would make the devs more money than if you ran the event, and had everything you could obtain in the event split among four $25 packages (like they usually are).

Long story short, subscriptions can work, and there are ways to get players to pay without making the game P2Win.

If they make the subsciprions unneccasary then no one will buy them, well not no one, but not enough to keep the game floating i think, I really want for the game to not become royal revolt, i loved that game before they added subscriptions, now there is almost no way to be fully viable if you dont spend money

Well then have subscriptions and then some other options. The game doesn’t need to only have one option for players to spend money. I’m sure a lot of people would buy subscriptions, actually, if they implemented them well. For instance, $10 a month could get you 50 gems, 15 loot keys, 50 extra stamina, 8 raid tickets, and 10 tokens for a featured hero every day for that month. Sounds too good to be true? Exactly. That’s my point. That’s why people will buy it.

Then they could have $25 and $50 per month deals that would be even better.