Dungeon Boss Board Game Kickstarter [Cancelled, For Now]

2

Comments

  • It makes me so mad when people complain about gaming companies getting more expensive so they need more funding, pay to win is good because it helps games stay alive, if they didn't have that mechanic this game would of died years ago from lack of funding, even worse we might have to do memberships if you guys make the big money Spenders stop spending... So cut it out!!

    I'm hoping this is a joke because NO ONE likes pay to win except rich little kids. It actually kills a game because free players leave and the pay-to-winners have no one to face so they leave and the game dies. Just look at the new Battlefront. They had a legit pay-to-win system and the game died after only 2 weeks or so. The only hype generated was the outrage at their system.

    Would you prefer subscriptions, this is exactly what happened to royal revolt 2, if you haven't heard of it, they weren't making aenough money so they tagged the game with a billion subscriptions you need to stay viable, I do not want that for dungeon boss, I prefer the way it is to Royal revolts current method, I hope you understand that subscriptions would kill this game and everyone that aren't the spoiled rich kids would stop playing, and battlefront also required subscriptions to actually play, I have the game, millions of people play it, the only problem is that it requires membership so I stopped playing, you can't trust the news or you tubers this time, I have seen how many people play this game, a lot, mainly because it adds an option for players to play non violent pvp...

    There’s are many other ways for a game to get money other than forcing players to pay to get ahead. Look at Team Fortress 2 - One of the most successful games of all time, and probably will be the most successful title we’ll see in our lifetimes. There’s literally no paying to win. No way to get an advantage by paying. It’s only through skill you can get better.

    But how does it stay alive? Where do they get their money? Hats. Cosmetics. People pay TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars on HATS, things that don’t have a single advantage gameplay-wise! Normal, dedicated players of that game make this game’s whales look sad.

    Am I saying DB should start making hats for every single hero, make a new hat store where you can buy skins and hats and outfits for your heroes? No. But would such a thing potentially save the game financially? Yes. There’s no way to know for sure, of course.

    But while you’re talking about subscriptions and how they don’t work - Have you already forgotten the $2.99 gem subscription? That worked incredibly well. I bought it every month, and so did many others. It may not have been enough to keep the game alive, but the removal of it certainly hurt the game, I believe.

    Another thing they could do is... simply stop being greedy. Right now a $20 package might get you a couple day’s worth of farming immediately. Why not make a $20 deal give you so much stuff, that it would take you months to farm up the same results? Why NOT make deals incredibly good? While some may think that is a bad idea because it would become even easier to just pay to win, it would also make it easier for those who don’t have hundreds to spend have a chance.

    I understand there are those who won’t ever spend a cent - Whether because they literally can’t, or don’t want to - But those people weren’t going to have an advantage anyways. It may seem greedy and evil to say, ‘Screw the players who don’t pay’, but that’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying benefit those who spend more than they do now. At the very least, it would make spending money on this game feel less like a guilt-trip and a liability.

    Plus, to keep the F2P’s happy, they could make events more generous. Think about it his way - F2P’s could gain large amounts of loot from generous events that take a week or so to complete. Meanwhile, people with some extra cash can just buy everything they could’ve earned in the event for $10, instantly. They don’t have a huge advantage, and maybe they’ll just not do the event, because they already got everything. Maybe someone will do the event AND buy the $10 package and have twice the stuff. I guarantee you that would make the devs more money than if you ran the event, and had everything you could obtain in the event split among four $25 packages (like they usually are).

    Long story short, subscriptions can work, and there are ways to get players to pay without making the game P2Win.

    If they make the subsciprions unneccasary then no one will buy them, well not no one, but not enough to keep the game floating i think, I really want for the game to not become royal revolt, i loved that game before they added subscriptions, now there is almost no way to be fully viable if you dont spend money

    Well then have subscriptions and then some other options. The game doesn’t need to only have one option for players to spend money. I’m sure a lot of people would buy subscriptions, actually, if they implemented them well. For instance, $10 a month could get you 50 gems, 15 loot keys, 50 extra stamina, 8 raid tickets, and 10 tokens for a featured hero every day for that month. Sounds too good to be true? Exactly. That’s my point. That’s why people will buy it.

    Then they could have $25 and $50 per month deals that would be even better.

    Exactly. Something can be good but not make you better than everyone. Just a boost to help you out.
  • It makes me so mad when people complain about gaming companies getting more expensive so they need more funding, pay to win is good because it helps games stay alive, if they didn't have that mechanic this game would of died years ago from lack of funding, even worse we might have to do memberships if you guys make the big money Spenders stop spending... So cut it out!!

    I'm hoping this is a joke because NO ONE likes pay to win except rich little kids. It actually kills a game because free players leave and the pay-to-winners have no one to face so they leave and the game dies. Just look at the new Battlefront. They had a legit pay-to-win system and the game died after only 2 weeks or so. The only hype generated was the outrage at their system.

    Would you prefer subscriptions, this is exactly what happened to royal revolt 2, if you haven't heard of it, they weren't making aenough money so they tagged the game with a billion subscriptions you need to stay viable, I do not want that for dungeon boss, I prefer the way it is to Royal revolts current method, I hope you understand that subscriptions would kill this game and everyone that aren't the spoiled rich kids would stop playing, and battlefront also required subscriptions to actually play, I have the game, millions of people play it, the only problem is that it requires membership so I stopped playing, you can't trust the news or you tubers this time, I have seen how many people play this game, a lot, mainly because it adds an option for players to play non violent pvp...

    There’s are many other ways for a game to get money other than forcing players to pay to get ahead. Look at Team Fortress 2 - One of the most successful games of all time, and probably will be the most successful title we’ll see in our lifetimes. There’s literally no paying to win. No way to get an advantage by paying. It’s only through skill you can get better.

    But how does it stay alive? Where do they get their money? Hats. Cosmetics. People pay TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars on HATS, things that don’t have a single advantage gameplay-wise! Normal, dedicated players of that game make this game’s whales look sad.

    Am I saying DB should start making hats for every single hero, make a new hat store where you can buy skins and hats and outfits for your heroes? No. But would such a thing potentially save the game financially? Yes. There’s no way to know for sure, of course.

    But while you’re talking about subscriptions and how they don’t work - Have you already forgotten the $2.99 gem subscription? That worked incredibly well. I bought it every month, and so did many others. It may not have been enough to keep the game alive, but the removal of it certainly hurt the game, I believe.

    Another thing they could do is... simply stop being greedy. Right now a $20 package might get you a couple day’s worth of farming immediately. Why not make a $20 deal give you so much stuff, that it would take you months to farm up the same results? Why NOT make deals incredibly good? While some may think that is a bad idea because it would become even easier to just pay to win, it would also make it easier for those who don’t have hundreds to spend have a chance.

    I understand there are those who won’t ever spend a cent - Whether because they literally can’t, or don’t want to - But those people weren’t going to have an advantage anyways. It may seem greedy and evil to say, ‘Screw the players who don’t pay’, but that’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying benefit those who spend more than they do now. At the very least, it would make spending money on this game feel less like a guilt-trip and a liability.

    Plus, to keep the F2P’s happy, they could make events more generous. Think about it his way - F2P’s could gain large amounts of loot from generous events that take a week or so to complete. Meanwhile, people with some extra cash can just buy everything they could’ve earned in the event for $10, instantly. They don’t have a huge advantage, and maybe they’ll just not do the event, because they already got everything. Maybe someone will do the event AND buy the $10 package and have twice the stuff. I guarantee you that would make the devs more money than if you ran the event, and had everything you could obtain in the event split among four $25 packages (like they usually are).

    Long story short, subscriptions can work, and there are ways to get players to pay without making the game P2Win.

    If they make the subsciprions unneccasary then no one will buy them, well not no one, but not enough to keep the game floating i think, I really want for the game to not become royal revolt, i loved that game before they added subscriptions, now there is almost no way to be fully viable if you dont spend money

    Well then have subscriptions and then some other options. The game doesn’t need to only have one option for players to spend money. I’m sure a lot of people would buy subscriptions, actually, if they implemented them well. For instance, $10 a month could get you 50 gems, 15 loot keys, 50 extra stamina, 8 raid tickets, and 10 tokens for a featured hero every day for that month. Sounds too good to be true? Exactly. That’s my point. That’s why people will buy it.

    Then they could have $25 and $50 per month deals that would be even better.

    Exactly. Something can be good but not make you better than everyone. Just a boost to help you out.

    true, but i am talking about if they implament it badly like 100 dollars a month, gain 1,000 gems,10,000 energy, 500 tokens split around heroes randomly, 5 epic+ runes, and 2000 raid tickets,

    That was what i am scared of, someone getting a hundred dollar subscription and getting what you worked for to long in one click of a button, or even worse 1 dollar to get 1,000 gems, increases price by a dollar each week
    All hail the Jabberwonky-JarJar,Jabber,Jibber
    May the side of fun and nonsense reign supreme!!
    Fun Is the most important aspect of games, don't underestimate future meta heroes...
  • WilbeanWilbean Member
    echonap wrote: »
    When I saw DB board game on kickstarter, I was thinking it would cost in the range of $20 - 50, considering that most board games are in that range. $99 for the base game, and $250 to get all the expansions!? Holy moly! I really wanted to buy this for a collector's item, but you priced me out. If you ever offer the figurines at a reasonable price, I'd probably buy those separately.

    This states my feelings exactly. I would have backed the game if it was in the $20 to $50 range, but $99 for the basic game and $250 for everything is far too expensive.

    Wilbean
  • I think they are trying to become the next dungeons and dragons or something. I don't believe many people without the game will get it because it's pretty random without knowledge of the game. Those who do own the game are: likely F2P because it's mobile, spending their money on in game stuff because it will likely have longer playtime, or don't have friends or family that would play it because they don't have the app. It seems way overpriced for a game with probably low buy rate.

    P.S. It would be cool to just have a figure sitting on my desk, so if the game doesn't do well, sell the figures. Koros, Kozar, Zomm, Solaris, Rajin Kira, and Goretusk would be super cool.
  • almalikalmalik Member
    I think they are just trying to maximize the number of people who might be interested in backing, although I may not agree with their pricing model. By including the painted models, they might attract people who play the game and only want to have painted models of the characters (and helping to subsidize funding the game itself). It also might create a secondary market for those who want the game and are willing to sell off the individual figures afterwards to offset their cost.

    I do think they should have structured the campaign differently by either establishing a lower buy in (you often see failed board game kickstarters coming back for a second attempt after having managed to lower their price point), or at least by listing some initial stretch goals to entice more people to back in the first day or two in the hopes that those stretch goals are met. Kickstarters are all about generating momentum, and if more people on the fence backed and stretch goals started getting unlocked it would attract more backers, etc.
  • I'm backing the $1,600 Epic Boss level for one reason only.....free shipping :D
  • shiggity80 wrote: »
    I'm backing the $1,600 Epic Boss level for one reason only.....free shipping :D

    Don't lie you wanna go meet the boss man sandy himself and spend a day with him talking about fantasy land stuff , you maverick
  • Any idea what is in the Hero or Boss level stretch boxes? I see mentions of them, but not their contents.
  • shiggity80 wrote: »
    I'm backing the $1,600 Epic Boss level for one reason only.....free shipping :D

    Don't lie you wanna go meet the boss man sandy himself and spend a day with him talking about fantasy land stuff , you maverick

    LOL. His office actually is not too far from me.
  • Any idea what is in the Hero or Boss level stretch boxes? I see mentions of them, but not their contents.

    I think they'll reveal it only if they meet the initial $100k funding....i think.
  • Also, it sounds like there are many different stretch goals - any idea what they are?
  • DrocasDrocas Member
    What happens if they don't meet the 100k do they scrap the entire project and keep everyone's money?
    The EMPIRE :: The Aegis of Athena
    KuK1uXt.png
  • Drocas wrote: »
    What happens if they don't meet the 100k do they scrap the entire project and keep everyone's money?

    No, money is returned to the backers.
  • JackHallow666JackHallow666 Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    Any idea what is in the Hero or Boss level stretch boxes? I see mentions of them, but not their contents.

    Probably gotta pay $50 to see a preview. :lol:
  • JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
    @Joel I'd like some clarification for myself and presumably others ..
    Joel wrote: »

    You can read all about the game and rewards at the link below. Spoilers: If the campaign gets funded EVERYONE in the mobile game will get a brand new skin for free!
    So you say everyone gets the skin,
    But project creator sandy has said only backers get the skin

    So which is it ? Would the 1$ backer tier qualify a backer for the skin ?

    a0nb1oay7fve.png

    :)
    Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
    www.bossfightentertainment.com
  • Joel wrote: »
    @Joel I'd like some clarification for myself and presumably others ..
    Joel wrote: »

    You can read all about the game and rewards at the link below. Spoilers: If the campaign gets funded EVERYONE in the mobile game will get a brand new skin for free!
    So you say everyone gets the skin,
    But project creator sandy has said only backers get the skin

    So which is it ? Would the 1$ backer tier qualify a backer for the skin ?

    a0nb1oay7fve.png

    :)

    Joel maketh thee proud
  • Koros is going to look GREAT in a fedora.
  • Stretch goals have been added (at least I just noticed it today).

    Don't think they will make it to the first stretch goal honestly.
  • make it give the new hero on purchase, tons of people will buy it then (Tells all of this while coughing)
    All hail the Jabberwonky-JarJar,Jabber,Jibber
    May the side of fun and nonsense reign supreme!!
    Fun Is the most important aspect of games, don't underestimate future meta heroes...
  • Not really. New heroes are generally next to free.
  • And canceled
  • @xtmn8r When is the next skin for jabber going to be avalible, and when is the next new skin going to be avalible, I already have ideas for what they could be 2 of them are lupina skins and 1 is a solaris skin (Ravin,feral,Northern)
    All hail the Jabberwonky-JarJar,Jabber,Jibber
    May the side of fun and nonsense reign supreme!!
    Fun Is the most important aspect of games, don't underestimate future meta heroes...
  • Thanks @xtmn8r. Looking forward to a larger array of pledge amounts and figurine only options.
  • Yeah, maybe change the pricing structure as many have mentioned.

    Too big of a gap between the funding levels. The Epic Boss package for $1,600 seems extreme since the only difference with the $250 level is spending a weekend at Petersen HQ. I mean, that seems like it would be fun for a couple hours, but 2-3 days...yikes. $1,350 (plus your own travel expense) to play some games? No thanks.
  • jileyjiley Member
    Whatever happened to the double tower glitch compensation? Have you been re-tooling for months?
  • jiley wrote: »
    Whatever happened to the double tower glitch compensation? Have you been re-tooling for months?

    This is not relevant to this thread. You should post this in one of the other tower event threads.
  • Backed ar 249 but really wanted just figures. Peterson mentioned possible figures only tiers on the relaunch , so I assume it'll be cheaper tha 249 ,
  • DevilJhonsDevilJhons Member
    edited April 19
    thank you big fish team! First sad thing i have no friends... to play this board game, second seems it's costs too much, otherwise i would fund in it
  • coneyKconeyK Member
    I definitely respect this decision. $100 was just too much for me to want to invest anything. Re-thinking the rewards will have significant impact on the campaign.
2
Sign In or Register to comment.

© 2015 Big Fish Games. Inc., Big Fish, the Big Fish logo, and Dungeon Boss are
trademarks of Big Fish Games, Inc., used with permission www.bigfishgames.com