Progressing Heroes/Team

ParsifalParsifal Member
edited April 17 in New to the Dungeons?
I'm brand new to the game, and a little lost as to what to do to collect heroes and grow stronger. I just hit level 20, and I have a few questions:

-How should I go about obtaining new heroes, and which ones should I focus on to start out with? Right now the only way I've been getting new ones is by opening gem/honor portals as I collect gems/honor from daily quests and PVP. I have Life Reaper Brom, and he is by far my strongest character due to his self-heal and high damage. I found a few "hero ranking" threads, but they primarily seemed focused on lv70 PVP and not so much on newer players just starting out.

-How can I farm exos for ascending my heroes? None of my characters are ascended right now, because I haven't been able to find any of the celestial exos at all, and very few of the previous tier ones.

-What is the best use of honor? Should I use it for portals, or save it to buy tokens of one of the powerful heroes?

-Any additional advice?

Comments

• JackHallow666JackHallow666 Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    Alright, here we go:

1 - Great Summons are your best friends right now. Try not to spend too much on them. Once you get your heroes to 2 or 3*, you can lay off them for a bit. To save gold, try only spending gold on upgrading abilities on heroes you actually like and use. Here's a key piece of advice, by the way: Sifu, Balog, Takumi, and Abigail are not worth your time. There are a few others that may not be good, but I won't tell you to ignore them because what heroes are good for PvE (campaign) are often different from what heroes are good for PvP.
    Some of the best heroes to use right now for a beginner in PvE:
    - Bovus
    - Yasmin
    - The Goblins (Having Bramble is highly recommended)
    - Beast teams (You don't need Solaris. Just use Yasmin as your healer)
    - Stonefist
    - Undead heroes
    - Furnace/Astrid
    - I can't believe I'm saying this... but Selwyn. With his recent rework, he's actually really good.

2 - Don't work on farming evos from levels. That's way too slow. You can try during evo events (I think it's either monday or wednesday that has 3x evo appearance rates?), but don't try to farm them when those events aren't happening. Instead, try collecting Evo monarchs and crafting Celestial Evos. If you aren't seeing monarchs yet, you can craft those, too.

3 - For a beginner... Honor might actually be best spent on the portal. Honor is really good because there's just about no "bad" way to use it. If you're low on gold, you can get a free 1/2 million gold a day if you have 1,000 honor. If you need heroes, go for the portal. Loot keys? Loot keys. And if you don't like the randomness of the portal, go for the token purchases in the honor shop. They add up after a few days, and soon you'll have 3* and 4* rare heroes. Grog-Gnog is probably your best choice. Kozar isn't that great... at all, really.

4 - My best advice is to not do anything you don't have to. I know that little green dot on the hero button is annoying, but if you don't ever use Rogar, just stop spending gold and xp potions on him. Additionally, do everything you have to do every day. Go through the gold and xp island dungeon(s). Use all your stamina (avoid using loot keys at the start, btw, you'll need tons later). Use all your raid tickets. Every little bit helps. If you get a head-start as a low level, your experience as a higher level will be better, too.
    Level: 70
    Favorite hero: Hansuke
    Currently: Waiting for new PvE content and the PvP revamp.
  • After a while you can lay of the XP island because just by playing with your heroes you get XP. Evo dungeon should be done every day. Also with your honor, I would highly recommend buying Grog-Gnog tokens every day. He is one of the best ways to spend honor and is very high tier in PVP and PVE.
  • Thanks for the advice - this is super-helpful! I noticed both of you mentioned Grog-Gnog. I know he's super-strong as I've been wrecked a few times by him in PVP already. My question is: I noticed in the honor shop that there is a limit of 3 grog-gnog tokens per day, and he requires 100 tokens to unlock as a hero. That would mean it would take over a month to unlock him if I farm and buy from the honor shop every day, which seems like a ton of work for a single hero! Is that the fastest way to unlock him, and if so, is he really worth that kind of effort?
  • He does show up in the heroic portal often during the PVP heroes event. You could save 2700 gems and hope to full unlock him or buy his tokens every day and hope a portal pull will get you the rest of the way. One month isn't that long of a time if you have other stuff to do or other heroes to unlock at the same time.
  • StinkyStinky Member
    edited April 19
    Another good hero at low levels is Ekko, who you can get from the honor portal if you're lucky. His +2 energy and bonus crit are really good at boosting a low level team in the campaign, and you don't need to ascend him for that ability (Energize). Annoyed that your tank's taunt can't be kept up all the time? Ekko's got your back. Got damage dealers that get a crit bonus? Ekko's there for you. Healers not doing their job well enough? Well, Ekko helps, but he's not a miracle worker.
  • After a while you can lay of the XP island because just by playing with your heroes you get XP. Evo dungeon should be done every day. Also with your honor, I would highly recommend buying Grog-Gnog tokens every day. He is one of the best ways to spend honor and is very high tier in PVP and PVE.

Idk I am in high tier pvp and everyone said grog would be good.... He straight out stilled for me tho, there is no such thing as water synergies, he doesn't become a plant from lily, he doesn't gain haste from shikate, he doesn't deal double damage to armored enemies, I just don't see how bovus isn't utterly better in parts of a kill all role, everyone is using armor these days, especially high tier, this also affects constructs so I they. Pretty much get slaughtered too... I kinda use bovus for every battle whether I am using him to quickly kill the annoying hero (gore tusk, agnon,shade) or just being the final hit when he gets that 60% attack buff from jabber and clearing everyone, key to my team is to scan if any hero on their team has a first turn purge,armor, or any constructs, if they have non of these replace lily with shikate for that battle... Nvm just go off topic, if you can get any hero that has extra attacks, aoe's, or lifesteal effects I sudgest you use it
    All hail the Jabberwonky-JarJar,Jabber,Jibber
    May the side of fun and nonsense reign supreme!!
    Those barbs are powerful, can't wait for some cheap counter to be released... As I said in my old days... Game on and may I be empowered by the dark side
  • You know Lily or Rocky don't need to be on every team? xD Besides Grog can do all three of those last needs with a vampiric rune.
  • true, but he doesnt get as many, and even if he doesnt crit he is still doing a ton of damage, and the limitation of having to use vamp runes is great, they are also very expensive and are only given in 1/3 of the events...
    Those barbs are powerful, can't wait for some cheap counter to be released... As I said in my old days... Game on and may I be empowered by the dark side
  • Only 1/3 of the rapid two-week-apart events!
  • I have at least 5 vamp runes purely from events or PVP loot.
  • LOL lucky, i only have like 1 super vamp rune, its on my bovus
  • StinkyStinky Member
    [...] everyone is using armor these days, especially high tier, this also affects constructs [...]

Eh. Before Agnon, wasn't Goretusk the only armored/construct hero you ran into? I know you don't like Grog, but don't kid yourself, he's really good. He brings -crit, -speed, +def (more than Astrid does, to more people!), Snow Day abilities, and of course, Grog also brings the pain. Getting Grog is a good plan for any new player.
  • Goretusk isn't a construct but I assume you ment armored or construct. Yes Grog is good and toothless is salty because Grog always beats his non-Solaris team. :P
  • Goretusk isn't a construct but I assume you ment armored or construct. Yes Grog is good and toothless is salty because Grog always beats his non-Solaris team. :P

Lol its funny you think that... but no, I only lose against stupid ferno teams because i cant get my really good start, and grog only deals like 10% max health with his opener... if he even hits tho
  • So why are you so salty about Grog? xD
  • Idk to be honest, i guess its because im hearing how great he is all the time and i dont really think he is that good. or maybe its just because it buffed up some players in games ego so high they thought that any other strategy was trash and assulted players in chats because they think that that specific hero was trash compared to them... Mainly its because of trauma caused by idiots/prideful people