Introducing Abigail the Brutal's Epic: Axe of Tor!

JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
arc9b6l7txvc.png

It feels like just last week Abigail wasn't terribly significant in PVP. Oh, that was last week, wasn't it? Well, Abigail wasn't satisfied with her new barbarian abilities, so she decided to go the extra mile and craft an Epic Weapon for herself! Forged by melting down the blades of her fallen foes, the Axe of Tor literally contains dizzying power!

This powerful axe increases Abigail's defense, health, and attack. It also gives her a chance to attack her target and two random enemies for 1.5x damage with a chance to Daze and Burn all enemies hit!
Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
www.bossfightentertainment.com
Tagged:

Comments

• JackHallow666JackHallow666 Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    Awesome! But I do want to point out something.

Practically all the recent Epics have given Health/Attack/Defense, maybe not in the same order but it’s definitely obvious that those stats are important.

What happened to Epics granting Crit or Skill? Was it just because those stats were undesirable? Because people generally see Crit and Skill as less valuable than raw stats?

To an extent I understand it and like it. But the problem is that this wasn’t how it worked at the start. Take Willow for example - Her Epic is horrible. Health Defense and Skill I think it gave her? She needs Attack and Crit more than anything.
    Old Epics were all about buffing the stats a hero was weakest in, balancing them out. IGOROK is also a good example of that.
    But since Shade I think, Epics have been seemingly focused on giving a hero MORE of what they’re already good at. I mean - Shade’s Epic, can We talk about that!? The last thing he needed was MORE Attack!

I do actually like the direction Epics are going in. They’re more balanced (aside from Shade and Jabber’s, although Jabber kind of needed it), and they improve the stats a hero already had a lot of. In hero-based games, specificity is almost always preferred to generalization. The problem is simply this wasn’t how it was at the start, and so you have a lot of old, honestly pretty weak Epics.
    I’m glad you reworked Nimrel’s Epic! It proves that it can be done. But only for the attack itself... I’m wondering if it’s possible to change the stats that they give as well? Or better yet - Just buff those heroes’ stats that they’re lacking in - like buffing Willow’s Attack a lot.
  • Furious charge makes my heroes disappear
    6gl6ohasg0nj.png
    Furious charge makes my heroes disappear
    6gl6ohasg0nj.png

Introducing Abigail the Brutal's Epic Bug: Disappearing Glitch!
  • JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
    Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
    www.bossfightentertainment.com
  • Awesome I just got her skin too
  • MaxBeamerMaxBeamer Member
    It’s not a good idea to be around Abi when she is furious! Everyone knows that!
    Who is Tor? Could we eventually see Tor?
  • Maybe it was supposed to be Thor and someone fat fingered it
  • BarleymanBarleyman Member
    Love the epic. I used to use Abigail a lot, then she became outclassed, and now in the space of a week she's awesome sauce again.

It does seem a shame that we still have to choose between seeing the skin or the epic weapon. I know for some heroes (e.g. Lupina, Grog-Gnog) the epic is really a new skin, but for these heroes who hold their epic (e.g. Abigail, Bovus) it would be really nice that we be able to see the weapon augmenting their skin.
  • danacdanac Member
    Who is Tor? Could we eventually see Tor?

isn't that a line of fantasy books?
    Barleyman wrote: »
    Love the epic. I used to use Abigail a lot, then she became outclassed, and now in the space of a week she's awesome sauce again.

It does seem a shame that we still have to choose between seeing the skin or the epic weapon. I know for some heroes (e.g. Lupina, Grog-Gnog) the epic is really a new skin, but for these heroes who hold their epic (e.g. Abigail, Bovus) it would be really nice that we be able to see the weapon augmenting their skin.

Abbi's skim looks too good.
    No epic for me.

In fact, now, with the barbarians, Balog looks really drab compared to all the others.

• shiggity80shiggity80 Member
    Maybe it was supposed to be Thor and someone fat fingered it

Then it would have said "Tgor"
  • sirtainlysirtainly Member
    edited May 3
    danac wrote: »

Abbi's skim looks too good.
    No epic for me.

At least they made her a barbarian instead of retiring her...
  • ScoutYoScoutYo Member
    danac wrote: »
    In fact, now, with the barbarians, Balog looks really drab compared to all the others.
    Agreed. That stubbly little dude needs a badass skin like Abi got. Right now, he looks like an angry, unkempt hobbit playing dress-up.
    Barleyman wrote: »

I would love the skin section to be split into armor and weapons. So you could use Augustus' skin, but not have to see his weird banana-hilt sword. Unsure of how that would work out for heroes like Grog/Lupina though... But if they could find a way, that'd be awesome! Imagine Reindeer Lupina with huge icy spikes on her back...
  • isn't it bad enough already that you can do this? shrouded in fury!
    ch6iqzej2uh3.png
  • Awesome! But I do want to point out something.

Practically all the recent Epics have given Health/Attack/Defense, maybe not in the same order but it’s definitely obvious that those stats are important.

What happened to Epics granting Crit or Skill? Was it just because those stats were undesirable? Because people generally see Crit and Skill as less valuable than raw stats?

To an extent I understand it and like it. But the problem is that this wasn’t how it worked at the start. Take Willow for example - Her Epic is horrible. Health Defense and Skill I think it gave her? She needs Attack and Crit more than anything.
    Old Epics were all about buffing the stats a hero was weakest in, balancing them out. IGOROK is also a good example of that.
    But since Shade I think, Epics have been seemingly focused on giving a hero MORE of what they’re already good at. I mean - Shade’s Epic, can We talk about that!? The last thing he needed was MORE Attack!

I do actually like the direction Epics are going in. They’re more balanced (aside from Shade and Jabber’s, although Jabber kind of needed it), and they improve the stats a hero already had a lot of. In hero-based games, specificity is almost always preferred to generalization. The problem is simply this wasn’t how it was at the start, and so you have a lot of old, honestly pretty weak Epics.
    I’m glad you reworked Nimrel’s Epic! It proves that it can be done. But only for the attack itself... I’m wondering if it’s possible to change the stats that they give as well? Or better yet - Just buff those heroes’ stats that they’re lacking in - like buffing Willow’s Attack a lot.

The reason why they only buff those is because they want you to use other heroes to cover their weaknesses,if they balanced them out it would be op, and most heroes actually need those stats, my jabber loved the attack and defense stats, also I don't know if he "Needed" it, I mean he was already good, I was using him everywhere, although I do like it and how it further optimizes my jabbers lifesteal, increasing his defense is really good, same for bovus, he really needed the survivability, and the reason he got more attack is because if they threw shade more health he wouldn't be as easy to kill, I mean I prefer him having more attack then health because it makes it easier for my heroes to one shot him, if he got crit it would be the same thing...

Also what stats would we want on these new heroes, imo health and defense and attack, I mean abagail was extremely lacking in those departments, I feel that she is supposed to last and slowly pick off your opponents 1 by one, I mean battle cage and dogs of war are rwally good, she needs to live long enough to use them though, and I don't know if we really want any skill or crit on these heroes, I mean they are a countr to undead/dark teams, crit is kinda useless against them.
    All hail the Jabberwonky-JarJar,Jabber,Jibber
    May the side of fun and nonsense reign supreme!!
    Fun Is the most important aspect of games, don't underestimate future meta heroes...
    Awesome! But I do want to point out something.

The reason why they only buff those is because they want you to use other heroes to cover their weaknesses,if they balanced them out it would be op, and most heroes actually need those stats, my jabber loved the attack and defense stats, also I don't know if he "Needed" it, I mean he was already good, I was using him everywhere, although I do like it and how it further optimizes my jabbers lifesteal, increasing his defense is really good, same for bovus, he really needed the survivability, and the reason he got more attack is because if they threw shade more health he wouldn't be as easy to kill, I mean I prefer him having more attack then health because it makes it easier for my heroes to one shot him, if he got crit it would be the same thing...

Also what stats would we want on these new heroes, imo health and defense and attack, I mean abagail was extremely lacking in those departments, I feel that she is supposed to last and slowly pick off your opponents 1 by one, I mean battle cage and dogs of war are rwally good, she needs to live long enough to use them though, and I don't know if we really want any skill or crit on these heroes, I mean they are a countr to undead/dark teams, crit is kinda useless against them.

You're just proving my points. Bovus' Epic was one of the older ones, so of course it balanced him out more. Abigail has monstrous Attack, even without her Epic. Mine is at 6.7k Atk and I've yet to get her Epic. If they balanced their stats out they'd be too OP? That's exactly what they did with the first groups of Epics. I said they're specifying stats now.
    And again, "What stats would we want? Attack Health and Defense", yes. Exactly. They're just giving us what the meta wants, not what's actually good for balancing the hero.
  • Awesome! But I do want to point out something.

You're just proving my points. Bovus' Epic was one of the older ones, so of course it balanced him out more. Abigail has monstrous Attack, even without her Epic. Mine is at 6.7k Atk and I've yet to get her Epic. If they balanced their stats out they'd be too OP? That's exactly what they did with the first groups of Epics. I said they're specifying stats now.
    And again, "What stats would we want? Attack Health and Defense", yes. Exactly. They're just giving us what the meta wants, not what's actually good for balancing the hero.

:confounded: mine only has 4K with the epic... And also the reason why those stats are good is because it's supposed to increase their survivability, battles used to last lik3-15 turns, now matches are expected to be over within 2, my abagail is somewhat trashy, but with the epic people like me can use her, I only got one 5 star and that's jabber the rest are 4-
    Fun Is the most important aspect of games, don't underestimate future meta heroes...
  • coneyKconeyK Member
    On the topic of epics, I'd like to point out how trash Grog-Gnog's is.

His primary stat is skill. When released, @Joel said that the skill increase would be useful for his "Large And In Charge" passive. But, of course, a 1%/2% increase in his skill correlates to an attack increase of less than 5 points. Investing in skill on Grog Gnog is absolutely useless. But a 30% increase in anything else would be too ridiculous. But they don't want to admit that or do anything out-of-the-box for epic design, so it is what it is.
  • toothlessmontoothlessmon Member
    edited May 4
    coneyK wrote: »
    On the topic of epics, I'd like to point out how trash Grog-Gnog's is.

His primary stat is skill. When released, @Joel said that the skill increase would be useful for his "Large And In Charge" passive. But, of course, a 1%/2% increase in his skill correlates to an attack increase of less than 5 points. Investing in skill on Grog Gnog is absolutely useless. But a 30% increase in anything else would be too ridiculous. But they don't want to admit that or do anything out-of-the-box for epic design, so it is what it is.

Dude grog would be more used then other heroes if he didn't have anydownside, me and at least 3 other people level 60+ run bovus over grog, that's like 0.01% of the level 60+ using bovus over grog, also skill increases crit soooo...

Also he has 3 short cooldown aoe's so if your basic attacking you are most likely playing him wrong.
    Grog’s Epic feels more like a simple upgrade rather than anything substantial or game changing like many other Epics.
    Which I think is perfect, by the way. Like you said, if they buffed anything except Skill for the primary stat, he’d be ridiculously broken. He already gets a free 30% boost to Hp and Attack, which is more than Slow heroes get, and he’s not even Slow. Not to mention any other boosts from Beast allies.

With the buff to Skill though, I’m wondering how well he would pair with Torchy. His Snow Day buff could actually give quite a powerful Defense buff to allies. Too bad the other debuffs he applies don’t really get affected by Skill...
  • Grog’s Epic feels more like a simple upgrade rather than anything substantial or game changing like many other Epics.
    Which I think is perfect, by the way. Like you said, if they buffed anything except Skill for the primary stat, he’d be ridiculously broken. He already gets a free 30% boost to Hp and Attack, which is more than Slow heroes get, and he’s not even Slow. Not to mention any other boosts from Beast allies.

With the buff to Skill though, I’m wondering how well he would pair with Torchy. His Snow Day buff could actually give quite a powerful Defense buff to allies. Too bad the other debuffs he applies don’t really get affected by Skill...

Actually frostbite is... It deals increased max hp when affected with skill
  • coneyKconeyK Member
    My argument is, then, that the skill buff is so inconsequential that it isn't really doing anything. It's not quite strong enough.
    My argument is, then, that the skill buff is so inconsequential that it isn't really doing anything. It's not quite strong enough.

That's the thing, though. Grog would be too powerful if the primary stat on his Epic was anything else.
  • coneyK wrote: »

That's the thing, though. Grog would be too powerful if the primary stat on his Epic was anything else.

But it still buffs his crit... A 6 star grog prob has a crit chance of over 40%

But it still buffs his crit... A 6 star grog prob has a crit chance of over 40%

So? Better than buffing his Attack Health Defense or Crit directly.
  • Anyone think the epic costs with real money are way over the top? 20 bucks for level 3 epic (super easy) and a rune. 100 freakin bucks for a level 12 epic! For a single character out of 70+! It only takes one to three months to get an epic to level 12. If this were any other game, I could see something like that going for 20 or 30 bucks to max it out. Maybe 3-5 to unlock it because it only take an hour max to unlock it.
  • BarleymanBarleyman Member
    Anyone think the epic costs with real money are way over the top? 20 bucks for level 3 epic (super easy) and a rune. 100 freakin bucks for a level 12 epic! For a single character out of 70+! It only takes one to three months to get an epic to level 12. If this were any other game, I could see something like that going for 20 or 30 bucks to max it out. Maybe 3-5 to unlock it because it only take an hour max to unlock it.

The real money costs for everything in this game are insane, but presumably people buy them anyway or the prices would drop.

Once you reach a certain point in the game it's no trouble crafting the epics for yourself, and more fun. The last 3-4 epics I have maxed to level 12 on the day of release using my material reserves and just running the dungeons for the parts. With the 3x materials once a week it's easy to top up your material reserves, and now they have opened up materials in the aether shop it's easy to grab a few spare crystals etc. if you are running short.