How do I keep my barb team from getting silenced?

I notice this most in pvp but it may be happening elsewhere too.

My entire barb team gets silenced when facing opposing barbs..I think its Balog? But his hero card says there's a chance to silence enemies on basic hit - does that mean -all- enemies at the same time?

How do I protect against this and how do I enhance my Balog's ability to do the same to the opposing team, first if in pvp?

Comments

• tthebonetthebone Member
    balogs first special "Cry Havoc" silences enemies., you can use shade to protect your balog with the shroud.
  • StinkyStinky Member
    edited May 16
    Balog's passive trait "Mute" also allows Balog to silence on basic attacks. He needs Drakk to be around to do this - if Drakk runs away in fear, has his corpse eaten, or is not on your team in the first place (?!) Balog will only silence with Cry Havoc.

When up against an enemy Solaris, my (shrouded) Balog will use Cry Havoc on his first turn, and then basic attacks on Solaris to keep her gagged. The rest of my team kill everyone else, and then put Solaris out of her misery.
  • sirtainlysirtainly Member
    I don't have a problem with enemy Solaris.

(Oh yes, I did see cry havoc...)

In a barb->barb team confrontation, how do I get my Balog's Cry Havoc out before theirs?

Maybe I'm missing something obvious to others.
  • StinkyStinky Member
    edited May 16
    Balog can't be silenced if he has Shade's Shroud on him. If the enemy team is Abi/Balog/Drakk/Shade, you, er, try and find a different team to attack.
  • BarleymanBarleyman Member
    Stinky wrote: »
    Balog's passive trait "Mute" also allows Balog to silence on basic attacks. He needs Drakk to be around to do this - if Drakk runs away in fear, has his corpse eaten, or is not on your team in the first place (?!) Balog will only silence with Cry Havoc.

When up against an enemy Solaris, my (shrouded) Balog will use Cry Havoc on his first turn, and then basic attacks on Solaris to keep her gagged. The rest of my team kill everyone else, and then put Solaris out of her misery.

Having witnessed several Balog vs. Balog duels in PvP, I can also say that the basic attack silence only lasts for the duration of the round in which it is applied, so it's only efefctive against enemies that act after Balog in that round. This gives the advantage to the defending Balog who attacks first (with specials), then gets silenced by the opposing Balog's basic attack, then the silence wears off, and then the defending Balog gets to attack again.

The Cry Havoc silence lasts 2 turns which is usually enough to stop Solaris from Rezzing anybody. Lol.

Once Balog gets his epic this may throw a new spin on this, as an epic attack is often more effective than a special. If so, silencing Balog may be a bad move.
  • StinkyStinky Member
    edited May 16
    I've had the Mute-silence last for a couple of rounds. Maybe it's one of those things that's affected by skill? I have a little +skill on Balog because I've got one of the +heal runes on him.

I used Solaris as an example not because I have problems with her, but as a demonstration of how Balog's silencing powers can be put to use.
    The problem I have is, as attacker in pvp, the defending Balog seems to go first. I tried reordering my Abi/Drakk/Balog/Ignus but the order remained the same. I'm missing some trick or rune or somesuch...

I've been playing a long time but I'll be the first to admit I haven't paid enough attention to the details of battle order...only recently began giving pvp a real go of it.

Also it "feels" like the group silence lasts a very long time...I'll have to count the rounds. Still 2 rounds of team silence -is- a long time...

(I do appreciate the advice about shade on both sides, and I think if I see an opposing shade/balog I'll just choose another team as you suggest.)
  • echonapechonap Member
    If the defending Balog is the first normal attacker, there is NO way for the attacker Balog to go first. You can reorder your team however you want, it won't make a difference.
  • StinkyStinky Member
    edited May 16
    sirtainly wrote: »
    The problem I have is, as attacker in pvp, the defending Balog seems to go first. I tried reordering my Abi/Drakk/Balog/Ignus but the order remained the same. I'm missing some trick or rune or somesuch...

I've been playing a long time but I'll be the first to admit I haven't paid enough attention to the details of battle order...only recently began giving pvp a real go of it.

Also it "feels" like the group silence lasts a very long time...I'll have to count the rounds. Still 2 rounds of team silence -is- a long time...

(I do appreciate the advice about shade on both sides, and I think if I see an opposing shade/balog I'll just choose another team as you suggest.)

Yeah, there's no real way around their Balog going first. In theory you could use a fast hero to neutralise Balog in the first turn, but when Shade is fully ascended he gives his dark elemental teammates (like Balog) Shroud; Shroud is always up on the first turn, prevents debuffs from being applied, and gives a bit of damage reduction to boot (25%, but can be a bit more if the Shade has extra skill for whatever reason). Shade can reapply Shroud if he pulls off an epic attack, but he's usually being a pain in the backside with his other abilities, so you might not see that come into play.
    I guess if you have stacked the buff stealing runes from the caster event on your Shade you have a chance of stealing the Shroud. I think those runes only steal one buff at a time, though, so you might grab another buff instead. I wouldn't pin your hopes on this idea.

The order in PvP is normally* like this:

1) Fast heroes go first. If the defender has a fast hero, they will take the first turn. Then the attacker's first fast hero gets to take their turn, then the second fast hero on the defending team, etc. until all fast heroes have taken their turn.

2) Normal speed heroes get to go now. As with the fast heroes, the defender's first normal speed hero goes, then the first normal speed hero of the attacker.

3) Slow heroes now go through the same song and dance.

Take this match I'm about to play.

wnnufyho8cwe.jpg

Shade is a fast hero, so although I've put him in last, he's going to be the first hero of mine to take their turn. Solaris, Agnon and Ferno are all normal, and will go in the order I've put in.*

The enemy team doesn't have a fast speed hero. Brom and Zomm are slow, Executum and Hansuke are normal speed. So in this scenario, my Shade gets the very first turn. The next hero to move will be Executum. Then Solaris takes her turn, then Hansuke, then Agnon. At this point the defender doesn't have any normal speed heroes left, so my Ferno gets to go.

After Ferno's made his move, Bromm gets to go, as the first of the defender's slow heroes. If I had a slow hero, they would go next; I don't, so the defender's Zomm takes his turn.

*This gets screwed up if Grog-Gnog uses his Strike! ability, and maybe other heroes with slowing effects too, but that's a headache for another post.
  • PugsOfWarPugsOfWar Member
    Stinky wrote: »
    Balog can't be silenced if he has Shade's Shroud on him. If the enemy team is Abi/Balog/Drakk/Shade, you, er, try and find a different team to attack.

Has anyone had any success against the shade+barbarians PvP opponent? I have been seeing this lineup (or GT+barbarians) more and more and still do not have a viable solution. I hate just running away from these matchups but haven’t been able to get a win against them. My own shade+barbarian team is not up to the challenge.

• JackHallow666JackHallow666 Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    They could swap Zen’s second ability to be his first and Zen would suddenly be viable again.
  • Torchy or Indigo can silence Balog unless they have a shade- Goretusk could freeze him first turn, Shadowblade could actually steal Shade's shroud before you apply debuffs. Willow could do the same.
    So is the moral of all this that if you run an Abigail/Drakk/Balog/Ignus pure barb team against a team where the first defending hero is Balog, you will lose your win streak in pvp and therefore must avoid that opponent?
  • sirtainly wrote: »
    So is the moral of all this that if you run an Abigail/Drakk/Balog/Ignus pure barb team against a team where the first defending hero is Balog, you will lose your win streak in pvp and therefore must avoid that opponent?

Yep, let’s all stop using barbs,I think we can all agree that we will all be happier if none of us are using barbs :expressionless: ... and if anyone uses them mock them till the sun doesn’t shine.
    All hail the Jabberwonky-JarJar,Jabber,Jibber
    May the side of fun and nonsense reign supreme!!
    Fun Is the most important aspect of games, don't underestimate future meta heroes...
  • sirtainly wrote: »

Yep, let’s all stop using barbs,I think we can all agree that we will all be happier if none of us are using barbs :expressionless: ... and if anyone uses them mock them till the sun doesn’t shine.

I thought you were the one against people who bully people for using meta/OP heroes....
  • BarleymanBarleyman Member

Yes. Replace Ignus with Shade or Goretusk and you've got something worth trying.
  • I think Lily has the potential to be good too. When she makes Drakk a plant he's very tanky.
    Barleyman wrote: »

Yes. Replace Ignus with Shade or Goretusk and you've got something worth trying.

Trying with Shade replacing Ignus: first impression, less firepower, but moderate success.

@MrWaffleKing: I wouldn't worry too much, he's only advocating mocking them 'till the sun doesn't shine, which according to my best guess is only another 9 hours or so away :)
  • toothlessmontoothlessmon Member
    edited May 18

I thought you were the one against people who bully people for using meta/OP heroes....

Well barbs are different, someone that uses drakk on their defense is just very rude, I mean sure Solaris was an angerment to most, but at least we could win those, the majority of us players can't live a single round against these abominations, even worse we can't even use our special abilities against them. I mean my brother has gone inactive because he is waiting for a solutions because they have completely Derailed and overthrown the meta of 50-
    Fun Is the most important aspect of games, don't underestimate future meta heroes...
  • Yes- they are nearly unstoppable. No- people shouldn't be put down for using them. It's not our fault they are the most effective- it's the devs'.
    edited May 18
    Yes- they are nearly unstoppable. No- people shouldn't be put down for using them. It's not our fault they are the most effective- it's the devs'.

your right, it's not , we should at least try to coax them to not be using such demon magic.... I just want my brother to play again! :confounded:
  • I’ve been using a team of agnon ferno emily koros. Works like a charm, I always win!
    Level - 72
    Guild - VIP LIFE
    Favorite Heroes - Astrid and Indigo
    edited May 22
    hudson1520 wrote: »
    I’ve been using a team of agnon ferno emily koros. Works like a charm, I always win!

How does Emily impact the team, how do you rune them, this could be a brake through on how to beat these barb teams...

Nvm idk why but I thought Emily was lily for a second, I can see someone using Emily to res agnon auto lightning storm of koros to fully charge his abilities... Not to mention that sweet sweet haste buff.
  • hudson1520 wrote: »
    I’ve been using a team of agnon ferno emily koros. Works like a charm, I always win!

How does Emily impact the team, how do you rune them, this could be a brake through on how to beat these barb teams...

Nvm idk why but I thought Emily was lily for a second, I can see someone using Emily to res agnon auto lightning storm of koros to fully charge his abilities... Not to mention that sweet sweet haste buff.

If only Emily were flying, res might actually beat solaris. She has wings after all!

If only Emily were flying, res might actually beat solaris. She has wings after all!

I'm pretty sure the reason she is used is for that haste boost so her allies may benefit and crush the others, I mean if any of them die she casts Rez and then a huge aoe will almost kill them all, not mentioning the fact she can not be silenced...

I'm pretty sure the reason she is used is for that haste boost so her allies may benefit and crush the others, I mean if any of them die she casts Rez and then a huge aoe will almost kill them all, not mentioning the fact she can not be silenced...

I just mean another Emily buff to bring her up to Solaris standards. Being flying could let her use all of Ferno's passives.

I just mean another Emily buff to bring her up to Solaris standards. Being flying could let her use all of Ferno's passives.

Does she really need another energy each turn though, if anyone needs flying its defiantly malice, I mean Emily is already viable, whether it be reviving agnon for epic lightning storm burst or other stuff, I mean she has a cleanse all with a 3 turn cooldown, and she starts with aegis... Although I would rather get an aegis shield then heal with her epic XD
  • I think the winged people should fly. Nitpick, Icepick, Emily, Malice, Ella (?). They don't necessarily have to give flying perks if they already give demon perks. Also Agnon should have an added demon tag. It would help demon teams and nerf Agnon a veeery tiny amount (because Emily and Augustus and Astrid demon bane).