PVP Grand Tourney - Let's Mix Things Up!

JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
zqpb7ydt6eai.png

The Guild Grand Tourney has begun! Here are a few reminders about how the event works:
  • The leaderboards are completely based on PvP Trophies. Any trophies your earn are counted towards your Guild's total, and any trophies lost are deducted, until your personal contribution reaches zero. At no point can your personal contribution become negative.
  • There are special passive effects running during the event to shake up the metagame! These buffs last for the entire event.
  • There are quests that pay out event tickets. Event tickets are NOT related to Trophies/leaderboard progress in any way.
  • The event will end at 11pm CST Sunday night, so guilds have the time to shuffle their members around for the new week.
  • PVP Streaks are deactivated throughout the event, and therefore, this week's season.

Event Passives:
  • All single target non-basic attacks deal reduced damage! For easy reference: Any attack that isn't debuffed by the "Drenched" status is debuffed by this!
  • All Armored heroes get an additional bonus that reduces the damage they take from all sources by 10%.
  • All Legendary heroes deal 15% bonus damage for each buff they have. Note: The event effects are considered passives, not buffs!

In addition, whenever you win a PVP raid, you will earn 2x event tickets if you win with a Barbarian, 3x with 2, 4x with 3, and 5x if your team is all Barbarians.
Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
www.bossfightentertainment.com
Tagged:

Comments

• How is bonus tickets for using barbarians “shaking things up”??? Barbarians are 95% of the teams out there as it is.
  • JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
    Because the event passives don't exactly help Barbarians, and the bonus is only for attacking, not defending. :)
  • BlezmeckBlezmeck Member
    edited May 31
    The dehydrated debuff for this event that decreases single target ability damage by half is also affecting epic procs. Is this intended? My epic proc damage is now less than non proc basic attacks.
  • Skip_HolmesSkip_Holmes Member
    edited May 31
    Joel wrote: »
    Because the event passives don't exactly help Barbarians, and the bonus is only for attacking, not defending. :)

I haven’t tried it out yet, so will take your word for it, but:

-Drakk is one of the very few useable legendary heroes, so he benefits from the event passives.
    -2 out of 3 of the barbs everyone uses are armored (drakk and balog), so they benefit from the event passives.
    -Some of the most common ways of dealing with barbs are via single target attack (shade, Ferno, agnon), so they seem to benefit from that damage reduction from the event passive as well.

Hope I’m wrong and no one ends up using them.
  • Joel wrote: »

Also, fighting against barb defenders most of the time vs. encouraged to use barbs on offense most of the time doesn’t feel like much of a shakeup. Still have 75 other heroes collecting dust. But I’ll stop complaining until I at least try t a while 🙂
    Our thinking is that the dehydrated (anti-single attack) passive is particularly harsh against Barbarians who specialize in single target attacks. Yes, some of the Barbarians get benefits from other buffs, but the buffs also hit some of their best counters.
    Blezmeck wrote: »
    The dehydrated debuff for this event that decreases single target ability damage by half is also affecting epic procs. Is this intended? My epic proc damage is now less than non proc basic attacks.

This should impact a good number of epics. Which one are you referring to?
  • BlezmeckBlezmeck Member
    Blezmeck wrote: »

This should impact a good number of epics. Which one are you referring to?

This has affected Grog Gnog, Bovus, and Torchy, but Torchy is only affected if the epic proc hits only one target.
  • StinkyStinky Member
    Kudos for the interesting buffs/debuffs - last time around I seem to remember it being that Agnon became even more powerful than he usually is.

I'm enjoying the slowed down pace of PvP as a result, although I might be alone in that. I can actually not use Goretusk or Ferno in a line-up if I want and expect to survive past round one.
  • MaxBeamerMaxBeamer Member
    @Joel, I gave your post a lol because I think it’s really funny how you guys think that you’ve mixed things up.
  • I have had about 60 defense losses today alone.way more than any of my guild mates or friends I have changed my defense several times and I’m still getting the lions share of attacks. This is definitely not due to my defense being bad. It feels like I’m being offered up more often than everyone else. I’ve heard of this happening to other people in past pvp events. Is there a fix to be made. I cannot express enough that I have played this game for years and am a very very experienced player with excellent defense strategies and I am very frustrated. How are you supposed to get ahead with that many losses
  • Same ol meta , great shakeup !
  • @Guyondacouch your defense is being offered as a hard option. Easy and medium options won’t be attacked nearly as much during this event.
  • So I have to use a crappy team to not get attacked so much that sounds like it will backfire for sure
  • BeedleBeedle Member
    Hey Joel! Random Question (But very important when Zomm is my number 1 hero lol): Zomm has a ton of things that increase his (and his allies') max health - his taste for brains, epic basic attack, and fillet zomminions all increase health. My 2 questions are 1. Taste for brains, fillet zomminons, and his epic basic attack all say they "buff allied max health" Does this mean it does or does not also increase zomm's health? And 2. When it says it increases max health, does that also heal him in a sense too or just buff his potential to be healed? In other words, when He buffs his health say 25% of 10000, does that mean he will have the potential to have 12500 health or will he also gain 2500 health (healing) in addition to adding his max health pool?
  • @Guyondacouch no, it’s based on total hero power. Put up the best defense you can.
  • Skip_HolmesSkip_Holmes Member
    edited June 1
    Our thinking is that the dehydrated (anti-single attack) passive is particularly harsh against Barbarians who specialize in single target attacks. Yes, some of the Barbarians get benefits from other buffs, but the buffs also hit some of their best counters.

I’m several hours of pvp in and I’m just not seeing it, @Joel. I’m attacking successfully using the same team as usual against barb defense after barb defense. My own defense is getting attacked by the same teams as usual. The event buffs/debuffs might as well not exist. Nothing is shaken up. It’s just gonna be several days of grinding with and against the same teams we’ve all been facing for weeks now.

Does the meta focus group not exist anymore? I feel like they would have been pretty insistent with you that these event buffs needed a rethink if you wanted anything to change for the event.
    Post edited by Skip_Holmes on
  • StinkyStinky Member
    If the idea was to go for a meta shakeup then maybe offering tickets for barb teams was not the way to go. I want to experiement with different group comps due to the single target/aoe mixup, but if I do, then I won't get as many tickets.
  • danacdanac Member

I’m several hours of pvp in and I’m just not seeing it, @Joel. I’m attacking successfully using the same team as usual against barb defense after barb defense. My own defense is getting attacked by the same teams as usual. The event buffs/debuffs might as well not exist. Nothing is shaken up. It’s just gonna be several days of grinding with and against the same teams we’ve all been facing for weeks now.

I'm seeing it.
    Astrid, Shade and Agnon's massive damage single attacks are hitting like wet noodles.

As for standard teams, I'm hardly seeing any barbie teams. Instead I'm seeing Emily Ferno teams, which seem designed to destroy barbies.

• Anyone here ever play a game called War Robots? While its not the best game out there (very pay to play/ win heavy), it has one interesting idea that I feel DB has not tried yet. If you REALLY want to "shake things up", try this: have a mode in which you can take any Team and try them out. Even if you have lowbies, you can take them out for a test drive, maxed out (everything: level, runes, upgrade, ascended, all of it!). Take a Team out and try a member you don't have, might need to pay gold/ gems, but its nice to see what it would look like.
    Definitely solves the "dust gathering on old heroes" complaint.
  • sirtainlysirtainly Member
    Actually, for a change, the buffs with this event actually allowed me to finish a tower. I'm still in shock. I expect that to change post-event.

And for us down in the Warlord range, even though we have zero hope of making any contribution to the event, I can at least eek out some tickets for the event store in little baby steps - assuming of course that the daily ticket quests don't require hero types not in my goto pvp team, in which case I'll just take the rest of the weekend off.

The gold cost to refreshing pvp teams to teams I can handle is relatively manageable so far.
  • danac wrote: »

I'm seeing it.
    Astrid, Shade and Agnon's massive damage single attacks are hitting like wet noodles.

As for standard teams, I'm hardly seeing any barbie teams. Instead I'm seeing Emily Ferno teams, which seem designed to destroy barbies.

Didn’t realize Astrid was a massive damage dealer normally? Agnon still one hit kills GTs and Emilys most of the time, which is all you need from him.

The Emily Ferno teams are indeed the counter to barbs. But they have been for a while now. They aren’t up or down any noticeable amount and seem unaffected by the event buffs.
  • wagdoggwagdogg Member
    This event is trash and at the wrong time. Your rewards are also trash.
  • dvd54407dvd54407 Member
    @Skip_Holmes you know why you're not seeing a big change to Barbarians, right? Because the Devs don't understand the impacts of all the mechanics...

Single-target atks have an Atk reduction.

But Abi boosts attack, so we are back to normal. And then Barbarians gets a 20% DmgPen boost per stack of Rage. And then because Balog's atk is AoE (which, I think is the most devastating), it isn't affected by the debuff and still gets a boost from haunted.

The "Debuff" totally fails to address all the other broken mechanics with barbarians too - no "single attack" is just a single attack. It's a team attack, or a multi-attack, or it silences, OR ALL EFFING THREE AT ONCE. And don't forget that Barbs get a Def boost per stack of rage, and 75% DR at 5 stacks of rage, AND gain invincibility for a round before dying.

But hey, at least when Drakk does a revenge attack and he dishes out 12 single attacks because they stacked a crap ton of those "+20% change to deal an extra basic attack" with 5 stacks of rage, the base attack is slightly nerfed once Abi's buff wears off (though you wouldn't notice it through the +100% dmgpen). And yes, I've actually seen this happen.

You know how you mitigate Barbarians for an event? Disable all buffs... or disable all debuffs. Pretty much the only way.
  • A better shake up would be to increase healer def by 50% and atk as well with this buff nonstealable to barbs. Then run Solaris with other healers and your healers would survive enough to outlast the barbs
  • @dvd54407 I agree. That’s why I was trying to point out to @Joel above that these buffs encourage barbarians in a lot of ways, not discourage them. I just don’t understand how they thought these changes would shake things up in any way.
  • bvs72bvs72 Member
    The changes has very little affect on the meta except to make all battles take longer. I suppose this takes some of the burden of of the server.
  • sirolk99sirolk99 Member
    On the fence on this one, not really feeling the need to play it.
    Might just take a DB break this weekend...
    :/

Potatoccino Guild - Lvl 70
    DB Forum: Recent Discussions - http://forum.dungeonboss.com/discussions
  • niclow92niclow92 Member
    Is there a reason why we see sub-level 65s on the leaderboard for a PVP event? Will it be possible to have a separate leaderboard for these low levelled players? I feel the board should work similar to the Boss100 board.

PVE events-wise, I think low levellers are ok in general.
  • MaxBeamerMaxBeamer Member
    Is there a reason why we don’t see players under level 65 on the boss 100 leaderboard? I feel it should work the same way as the PvP tourney leaderboard. I have nothing against higher level players, heck I am one.