A 3-Step Guide to Beating the Tower of Pwnage

DungeonProDungeonPro Member
edited April 2016 in Tower of Pwnage Talk
This guide is for all the players who have no idea how to beat the tower. Hope this post helps you!

1. Analyze your roster
2. Scout the tower
3. Attack
-Bait
---Bait Strategies
-Common Heroes
-Heroes to use
-The Final Boss

Step 1: Analyze your roster

First of all, you have to know what heroes you have, specifically what type and level. Here is my roster:3kw5zm1cpar3.png1ulbangpdese.pngx1b2pehwqs30.png

As you can see, many heroes are lvl 60 but most of them don't have their abilities upgraded. There are also some lower leveled heroes. Some people have a lot of high level, highly upgraded heroes, and some just have their main team and the rest of their roster is bad, but I think I'm in the middle. Let's see what I've got!

Most importantly: How many tanks do I have?
This comes into importance while attacking, which I will discuss in step 3 when I get to it. Let's see.... I have Stone Fist, Pignius Maximus, Phenol Thoxian, Phemus, Overlord Exetum, Sir William, Balog, Alexandros, and Yokozuna. As you can see, I purposely leveled most of them up just for the tower.

How many healers do I have?
Healers are a very important part in completing the tower. For me, my main healers are Chief NubNub and Archangel Emily. Even though she isn't upgraded that much, I'm not that worried since she has a lot of health.

How many damage dealers do I have?
This is probably the least important question you have to ask yourself, because if you have enough experience, you know that Therand is good against armored enemies and Lady Nimriel is good against tanks.
Post edited by DungeonPro on
ouldpa73a39.png

6* Hero Count: Squinch, Willow Swift, Black Diamond, Ignus the Mad, Chief NubNub, Therand Fiddlestrom, Pontifex Mortis, Dagrund Blacksmoke, Tsume, Mangle Jaw, King Yorick, Samurai Takumi
Check out my Kill Quest chart here!
See my guide to the Tower of Pwnage here!

Comments

• Step 2: Scout the tower

This step is mainly here to help you plan your hero usage. You don't need to look at every single floor, however. It's mainly the top floors that are important. For example, if I got this as floor 11:lhu3qjhn69e5.png

I know that I would need a few decoys and maybe a tank and I would save a few. If I got an easier floor than that, I can be a bit more lenient in my spending of certain heroes.
    ouldpa73a39.png

6* Hero Count: Squinch, Willow Swift, Black Diamond, Ignus the Mad, Chief NubNub, Therand Fiddlestrom, Pontifex Mortis, Dagrund Blacksmoke, Tsume, Mangle Jaw, King Yorick, Samurai Takumi
  • Step 3: Attack

There are many things to consider before attacking, such as whether to use special abilities, what heroes to use, and if the situation is appropriate to use a bait team.

Bait is where you send in hero(s) to make the enemy waste their special ability. This is what makes the tower different from PvP; you can send in multiple teams. Let's talk about strategy! Look at this team.q1ars6cz4xz2.png

Looks like a bait team is in order, right?

Correct, but in order to optimize our efficiency so we don't run out of bait, we send in only one tank. Why?

This is because all the heroes on that floor attack all enemies with their special ability. So, it is better to only send in one hero. Now let's look at the photo from earlier.m60iagdv4vw8.png

If we send in a single tank, it will most likely be destroyed by Willow Swift's Sniper Shot. Instead, what the best strategy is when encountering this kind of team you need to bait but can't use just one tank for is to send in low level heroes one by one and drain the enemy’s abilities. Be careful, though, because if you use too many heroes as bait, the enemy’s abilities may recharge.
    ouldpa73a39.png

• Common heroes and counters

There has been substantial evidence that the tower defense teams are based on real PvP defense teams, therefore, many of the PvP metas are present, which is true. Here's a list of common tower heroes and how to counter them

Tsume
    Tsume is a very dangerous hero to deal with. He can be eliminated by Abigail the Brutal but her attack may also just put him at low health. The best way to counter him is to send in a crew of fire heroes including Squinch who does 2x damage towards Warriors to take him out with basic or special attacks. Archangel Emily and Augustus are also good.

Bovus el Doro
    This hero is great for lowering energy in PvP, but all you need to do in the tower is send in a decoy to soak up Stampede. Squinch and Sir William have boosted damage towards him.

Yokozuna
    Same as Bovus el Doro, except Squinch can do even more damage if he's taunting and Lady Nimriel is also effective because of her Tank Hunter trait.

Willow Swift
    Send in 2 decoys and tank the Arrow Barrage. It's worth it. She's weak against Yoko because of Bounty Hunter and King Yorick is resistant to her attacks. Any fire hero is also effective because of her squishiness.
    ouldpa73a39.png

• Good heroes to use

Pontifex Mortis- He does moderately high damage and heals himself! No need to waste a healing ability!

Chief NubNub- The best healer in the game AND slow. He is tanky, so he can probably withstand an Assassinate from Black Diamond.

Squinch- This is all about his Warrior Hunter and Challenge Accepted traits. He does enormous damage to both.
    ouldpa73a39.png

• Your first post still has "(name of tanks)" in the tanks section.
    9Ahi08z.jpg
  • DungeonProDungeonPro Member
    edited February 2016
    @PrezObama Thanks! While I was editing this on my phone I didn't have enough time to go into DB and check my tanks XD so I just left I like that and didn't notice.
    ouldpa73a39.png

• No problem! Nice writeup btw.
    9Ahi08z.jpg
  • Do people really scout the tower ahead of time? I just look at each floor and come up with the most efficient strategy to beat that one whilst conserving energy and minimizing sacrifices. Worry about one floor at a time. What good is it to save heroes for floor 11 if you get wiped on floor 8?
    The Empire is recruiting.
  • Best hero to take out tsume is augustus
  • AmmoAmmo Member
    edited February 2016
    One very important key to my success, which it seems like the original poster is actually not doing is to level up all of your characters to max level with potions -- this increases their HP! For the characters who you use as fodder to each enemy special abilities, don't bother spending gold to level up their skills -- that's a total waste. But definitely level them up because sometimes they can take extra hits! A level 15 fodder is only taking 1 hit. A max level fodder could sometimes take more hits!! Figuring this out was a major turning point for me in the ease with which I clear.

I clear the tower very easily every day at level 39, even when I have silly mistakes and accidentally get wiped.
    1611701?gid=
  • YaxirYaxir Member
    Ammo wrote: »
    One very important key to my success, which it seems like the original poster is actually not doing is to level up all of your characters to max level with potions -- this increases their HP! For the characters who you use as fodder to each enemy special abilities, don't bother spending gold to level up their skills -- that's a total waste. But definitely level them up because sometimes they can take extra hits! A level 15 fodder is only taking 1 hit. A max level fodder could sometimes take more hits!! Figuring this out was a major turning point for me in the ease with which I clear.

I clear the tower very easily every day at level 39, even when I have silly mistakes and accidentally get wiped.

i followed your strategy long before visiting these forums !

but im gonne need more info ... more tips ! i get wiped at 7th or 8th floor max ! on a v.lucky day i clear 9th and get some gems but other than that ... its just bad !

p.s i have a fair but not large no. of FA heroes and most 1A heros but MOST of them are 2 starred... any tips / hints for that ?
  • You can't beat the tower with a roster of mostly 2 star heroes- it's just not possible. Just star up your heroes more and you should be fine.
    ouldpa73a39.png

• danacdanac Member
    DungeonPro wrote: »
    You can't beat the tower with a roster of mostly 2 star heroes- it's just not possible..

That is untrue. Right this moment, I'm level 51 with 36 heroes, nine still 2*, 4 are 4*. I've been at this about 42 days by the daily reward count. I've beaten the tower... iirc.. about 4 times. Until about 5 days ago most of my heroes were 2*, I've been farming like mad to upgrade everybody to 3. So at least two of my wins were done with 2* heroes in their midthirties, low 40s.
    And while i'm not enitrely stupid, I went blindly into that **** tower without considering things like using purple bait against BD and other tips I've found the past few days from y'all.
    Instead I just threw bodies at each level.
    It sucked, annoyed the f out me me, but I beat the **** tower that way.
    ... by the by, the first win was with Jabber entering floor 12 by himself.

• YaxirYaxir Member
    danac wrote: »
    DungeonPro wrote: »
    You can't beat the tower with a roster of mostly 2 star heroes- it's just not possible..

That is untrue. Right this moment, I'm level 51 with 36 heroes, nine still 2*, 4 are 4*. I've been at this about 42 days by the daily reward count. I've beaten the tower... iirc.. about 4 times. Until about 5 days ago most of my heroes were 2*, I've been farming like mad to upgrade everybody to 3. So at least two of my wins were done with 2* heroes in their midthirties, low 40s.
    And while i'm not enitrely stupid, I went blindly into that **** tower without considering things like using purple bait against BD and other tips I've found the past few days from y'all.
    Instead I just threw bodies at each level.
    It sucked, annoyed the f out me me, but I beat the **** tower that way.
    ... by the by, the first win was with Jabber entering floor 12 by himself.

NICE! would have been EPIC to have jabber take down chromus all alone like that !

also , can u tell me which heroes were instrumental in winning you that tower ? since i wanna know who to invest in !
  • danacdanac Member
    I dont have many and cant remember who i used. I'm still missing ignorock, icepick, Julius, Matsu, Bromm, didn't have BD or icebloom then. What I did was send in bait, and kept nub out until mopup bcause they target healers, I kept Tsumi as long as possible of course, but I'd FA'd JAbber, and an FA Jabber is an awesome [what's the phrase?] glass bullet. Bcuz my heros are still mostly 3*, I still get creamed, it's more a matter of picking the right bait that gets me the few wins I have. Now I send in one or two, and keep my 51 level characters as long as possible. I use them regularly, so i have more powerful ones like Ponti who get used soley as bait because I haven't got them high enough yet. So it's mostly Bovus, Nub, Tsumi, Jabber, Willow, Shadowkiller, StoneFist, Sir Wiliam, Lupina, Nitpick, Torchy.. iow, the characters easiest to level. Many are FA and that helps. Yoko too, he really helps.
  • RualRual Member
    A team I've been using with success (if you have Rocky ascended) is ekko, Rocky, nub, and brom

All rogue teams are nice at sweeping, with BD, Kira, Willow, and Torchy being the focus.

Sometimes a full beast team is fun to knock out towers. In that case, make sure Julius and Pignus are leveled up along with 2 more beasts
  • danacdanac Member
    don't have rocky, julius, Kira yet, BD is not high leveled because I only just got 1A and she sucks before that. Every time I hit a high star fast team I wind up losing ten heroes as bait.
    The good news is I can't level fast anymore, and my characters should finally start catching up.
  • Definitely star up fast heroes for the tower. Sometimes, I get to the 9th or 10th floor before even using a normal speed hero. If you time your special attacks and save non-offensive heroes to recharge your energy with normal attacks, you can constantly have specials up for the next floor.
    The Empire is recruiting.
  • Well, I *finally* beat the Tower a few times (I know, /golfclap - but for a casual player it was an accomplishment!) and wanted to thank @DungeonPro for this guide as it helped me immensely (as well as tips from other players). Clearly, the often used advice of "get more stars and ascensions" advice is an inherent truth, but there are more nuances than just that.

In case others come across this thread and are struggling, here were some things that helped me specifically:

- initially I was sending in a whole sacrifice team to soak up specials (I know, stupid move). Now I send in just one at a time. I still run into a problem once in a while on the higher floors as my sacrificial lamb will only take one or two specials and then I need to send a second one in. This sucks when you have a limited roster to begin with, but I have found out that just soaking up the fast specials is often not enough - especially if they have Nim or another hard hitter at normal speed - have sent in my "clean-up" team too early only to see a key hero get wiped by Nim's special. My problem is I am still missing some key tanks (Yoko, Julius, Executum, Phenol) and so I am sending in the Jabbers and Takumis for cannon fodder

- initially I would hold back too much on using my "main" team's specials, trying to conserve them for later floors, only to see that hero die before getting to use them. I know you can't just go all out balls to the wall, and the Tower is a war of attrition in many aspects, but using my strong heroes strengths more has been a boon

- I went and spent a ton of potions on leveling up all of my toons. I didn't max all of their skills but it helps immensely for the fodder types and most of us I would think have an abundance of exp potions

- I am somewhat ignorant in all of the various synergies and weaknesses - probably half of my heroes I haven't even used in PVP or dungeons - but knowing a few of them helps (i.e. Bringing Nim in on a tank heavy floor, saving Therand for Chromus, etc).

Hope this helps a bit for those "ham&eggers" like myself who were getting their **** handed to them daily on the Tower. And who knows, maybe I am like @KashHatton (see his post) and just had the tower take pity on me for once, but the last tower I completed, I still had a dozen heroes left out of a roster of only 30, so I think I have made some progress.

Now I need to figure out some ascensions to further bolster some of my lesser used characters as the evos are piling up (post forthcoming).
  • Bump for others to see!
    ouldpa73a39.png

• echonap wrote: »
    Do people really scout the tower ahead of time? I just look at each floor and come up with the most efficient strategy to beat that one whilst conserving energy and minimizing sacrifices. Worry about one floor at a time. What good is it to save heroes for floor 11 if you get wiped on floor 8?

I usually scan ahead for any floors that look like they will be really hard and save specific fodder for those floors. Throwing the right fodder is arguably more important than bringing the right heroes; your heroes can win with autos if you drain all the enemy skills properly.

Other than that, I just have a general plan.

I ALWAYS start the tower with BD, willow, shadow and ekko (Kira and torchy don't need cooldown help, and indigo can just crit).

I always try to end the tower with Therand, mangle, tsume, and Nim/ekko.

Somewhere along the way I rotate in normal heroes to let them get their cool downs up, with a priority on my final 4 and my healers. Dagrund resets ekko's skills. Ekko sometimes gets used 2-3 times. Dagrund gets used 1-2 times. I make sure to pop skills like Emily's revive for value before she fodders an upper floor... that kind of thing.

As I type this out it all sounds more complicated than it really is, it's all pretty intuitive as you (general you) do more towers and become familiar with all the heroes.
  • Extra note: My usual Tower team is first and second, two heroes with traits that allow them to take out the opponent (Tsume-Squinch, Augustus, Nimriel-Yokozuna, Brom-Kira), Emily, and NubNub. Whenever NubNub dies, no fear, Emily is here!
    ouldpa73a39.png

• secrets wrote: »
    echonap wrote: »
    Do people really scout the tower ahead of time? I just look at each floor and come up with the most efficient strategy to beat that one whilst conserving energy and minimizing sacrifices. Worry about one floor at a time. What good is it to save heroes for floor 11 if you get wiped on floor 8?

I usually scan ahead for any floors that look like they will be really hard and save specific fodder for those floors. Throwing the right fodder is arguably more important than bringing the right heroes; your heroes can win with autos if you drain all the enemy skills properly.

I look for bait floors and then 10 and 11. I figure out what I need to defeat those floors and then purposely avoid using those on other floors.

Formerly of the Potato Army. I've mostly quit playing DB. However, I can be reach in Book of Heroes (in game or forum) as bbbb.
    2rc900l.png
  • One other trick I haven't seen mentioned has to do with facing a lower level Nub. Kill him last!. Knock off the other heroes, and then slowly pick off Nub while your heroes regenerate their special abilities. A low level Nub really can't hurt anyone seriously, and the longer it takes to kill him, the sooner your heroes can use special abilities for later floors.
  • Madgalis wrote: »
    One other trick I haven't seen mentioned has to do with facing a lower level Nub. Kill him last!. Knock off the other heroes, and then slowly pick off Nub while your heroes regenerate their special abilities. A low level Nub really can't hurt anyone seriously, and the longer it takes to kill him, the sooner your heroes can use special abilities for later floors.

I was using this strategy once and had Nub on my team as well. Then, in a freak run of absolute worst luck (a frequent occurrence in the Tower, lol), I lost everyone except Nub, but killed everyone except Nub. Nub vs. Nub. The enemy Nub was level 51, I think I was 60. Total stalemate. I crit him enough that I didn't need to heal myself, but I couldn't kill him fast enough that he couldn't heal himself. I tried for quite awhile, then I just put it on auto-attack and let it run overnight. Sure enough, like 5 or 6 hours later, they were still going at it. :smiley:
  • YaxirYaxir Member
    i need more guide ... i have several heroes (around 30-40%) 3 starred BUT i still cant make it past 7th floor :/
    im level 51

also @sagewithaflaw , why sending a whole sacrificial team is bad ? i thought the lone lamb would die off a special and the next loner WILL die off the simple attack of the same hero who killed ur previous one with its special ...
  • Yaxir wrote: »
    i need more guide ... i have several heroes (around 30-40%) 3 starred BUT i still cant make it past 7th floor :/
    im level 51

At level 51, you should be talking about having several heroes 5 starred not 3 starred. No guide is going to get you through the tower with your current roster. Find the posts about slow leveling and start doing that. In a few weeks, your roster should be in better shape for your level and you can complete the tower.
    Formerly of the Potato Army. I've mostly quit playing DB. However, I can be reach in Book of Heroes (in game or forum) as bbbb.
    2rc900l.png
  • Great post !!! Really a ton of useful tips and tricks in there.

One thing I would like to add, apologies if someone already mentioned it.

FAST team. Mine starts as Black Diamond / Masuta Kira / Willow / Torchy

I usually use that team VS floors with no fast heroes on defense. They usually mop up 4-6 floors every day for me in the Tower. If one dies, replace with Shadowblade or Indigo based on matchup.
  • @Yaxir the problem with sending in a whole sacrificial team is that you will run out of heroes quick that way. If you can get by with eating up the most deadly specials with only 1-2 heroes, you can stretch things out further. Another problem with sending in a whole team to die is that you want to eat up the 1st wave of specials with the sacrificial hero(es) but then get your cleanup team in there as soon as possible. If you have a whole team they may last a round or two (granted, hopefully doing some damage as well) and then the enemies specials are close to or charged again.

It definitely takes some experimenting - I have had (and still do sometimes) the problem where my sacrifice hero dies right off from the 1st attack and then you end up burning a couple anyways. But in general I find that works best.

I will say what many others have said though in that even though the strategies help quite a bit, I wasn't able to complete the tower consistently until I got a deeper roster filled out and leveled up / starred/ ascended by using the portals. I still have a pretty weak team overall as I am more of a casual player, but picking up a few extra tanks and what not to throw in as fodder made a huge difference for me