PVP Changes Coming Soon!

JovethJoveth Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
edited February 2016 in General Discussion
Note from Joveth: This is a preview of upcoming PVP-oriented changes that are going to be coming to the game very soon. We want to make sure that you folks aren't surprised when they go live. Enjoy!

Update 1: Just to clarify, everything except the HP Boost is going to be game-wide. The tower will NOT have the HP boost. We're calling these PVP changes because they're mainly geared towards creating a more dynamic PVP experience.

Update 2:The PVP changes are now live! To celebrate, there will be 2x Scroll drops in PVP for the next few days, and the top finishers in the current tournament will win Phenol Thoxian tokens. In addition, Torchy is being featured in the Great Portal, and Ekko, Indigo, and Yokozuna are being featured in the Heroic Portal. We're closing this thread to separate the speculative feedback from this weekend from the feedback that you have now that the changes are live. If you want to weigh in, we've created a dedicated PVP feedback thread HERE.

dbpw5jy8bmzw.png

Hey folks, Greg and Vance here from the Dungeon Boss design team and we’ve been watching players in PVP and looking at ways in which we can improve that aspect.

The results are some major changes that are going to be coming very soon so let’s go ahead and talk about these big changes:

HP Boost of 40% (In PvP only)
We wanted to let PvP battles last a bit longer so that players could add more depth to their strategies. We feel that all heroes should get the time needed to bring out their full potential. It’s going to be interesting seeing the different kinds of strategies that come up as a result of this!

Casters Get Some Love
Casters are going to be getting a new passive called Mystical that will increase with each ascension:
  • Mystical - 25% damage bonus vs SLOW or Tank heroes present as a base passive for the Hero
  • Mystical II - 50% damage bonus vs SLOW or Tank heroes gained at 1st ascension
  • Mystical III - 75% damage bonus vs SLOW or Tank heroes gained at 2nd ascension

This affects: Selwyn, Kobal, Nitpick, Icepick, Icebloom, Ignus, Pontifex, and Therand

Resistance Stats are Changing
Scaling elemental resistance was making it so that elemental damage spells did less damage as you progressed through the game, making casters feel a bit weak.

With the upcoming changes, Magical resistances (FIRE, WATER, NATURE, SPIRIT, etc.) will no longer scale with SKL and/or level increases. They will also no longer mitigate over-time effect damage.
  • Resistance now begins at 30% for the hero’s element and 15% for the opposing element. These will now increase just a tiny bit with star increases.
  • All other resistances, besides spirit damage (3%), stay at 0% and no longer increase unless the hero has a passive that increases them.

Targeted Hero Changes
Finally, four heroes specifically and their abilities needed a bit of tweaking in order to make PVP more dynamic:
  • Torchy           
    Ability: Lock Jaw – Changed Energy Cost from 2 to 3 and it now adds Silence to a successful attack, lasting 1 turn. This ability now starts powered at the start of a fight.
  • Yokozuna      
    Ability: Sumo Stomp – Energy Cost decreased by 1, but Daze it inflicts reduced to 2 turns from 3 turns.
  • Indigo            
    Ability: Rapid Fire – Each successful hit now has a 50% chance to add a 1 turn Silence. Each time Silence is applied it will extend the duration a turn.
  • Ekko              
    Passive: Team Energy Vault – Now guarantees that team will not lose energy from an enemy attack, was 50% chance.

And that’s everything that will be changing with an eye towards making PVP more strategic and fun. We’d love to hear your thoughts, comments, and feedback below, especially once these changes go live.

Happy Raiding!

Greg and Vance
Post edited by Joel on

Comments

• afroninjaafroninja Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    Wow, huge changes
    #TeamTater
    Recommended change: Give Tsume an afro!
    knjplof08e1h.png
  • HintedforyouHintedforyou Member
    edited February 2016
    Wow....i'm impressed
    Edit:why're you all saying bovus is dead, he had warrior heart for the HP increase along with pretty above average attack, and a little regeneration on himself
    Post edited by Hintedforyou on
    Hintedforyou

I will always find something to complain about, even as ridiculous as it may sound.
    My notifications box seems to have stopped working sorry if you get no reply from me.
    Current goal:FA Leonidus

• iTPCiiTPCi Member
    edited February 2016
    idk
    40% health boost and gettin all abilities fully powered might be making defense OP

With defense getting instant abilities and 40% more health, attacking DPS will be rough while defense will spam abilities each round to take out the attacking heroes 40% health
    Guild: Society of Bosses
    Time for some PVP!!
    50x50px-ZC-0bd11019_hulk-smile.gif
  • ItchytorturepoxItchytorturepox Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    I know the thread title is "PVP Changes Coming Soon!" and the first section heading is "HP Boost of 40% (In PvP only)", yet the remaining headings do not state "PvP only". This could imply (or some people might infer) that the remaining changes are game-wide. Could you add a little clarification, as to whether or not the changes to casters, resistance stats and targeted heroes are game-wide?

Player level: 70.0
    My Dungeon Boss YouTube channel: YouTube.com/videos
  • Aaaaaahhhhh ekko!!!!! Touchy!!! <3
    LINE: Anokuu
    Email: GensokyoFamily@gmail.com
  • JovethJoveth Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
    I know the thread title is "PVP Changes Coming Soon!" and the first section heading is "HP Boost of 40% (In PvP only)", yet the remaining headings do not state "PvP only". This could imply (or some people might infer) that the remaining changes are game-wide. Could you add a little clarification, as to whether or not the changes to casters, resistance stats and targeted heroes are game-wide?

Everything except for the HP boost is game-wide!
  • Amazing, simply amazing. Ekko is the new boss now!
    TYRANNO992

• Wow very interesting. Can't wait to see what happens
  • RenlyRenly Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    Yoko sumo stomp nerf, yay! Also, praying there is another sticky coming soon related to a revamped guild system.
    IGN: Renly
    DB Guru | OG Potato | Rightful Heir to the Iron Throne

“What I say is that, if a man really likes potatoes, he must be a pretty decent sort of fellow.”
    ― A.A. Milne

• Joveth wrote: »
    Resistance Stats are Changing
    Scaling elemental resistance was making it so that elemental damage spells did less damage as you progressed through the game, making casters feel a bit weak.

With the upcoming changes, Magical resistances (FIRE, WATER, NATURE, SPIRIT, etc.) will no longer scale with SKL and/or level increases. They will also no longer mitigate over-time effect damage.
    • Resistance now begins at 30% for the hero’s element and 15% for the opposing element. These will now increase just a tiny bit with star increases.
    • All other resistances, besides spirit damage (3%), stay at 0% and no longer increase unless the hero has a passive that increases them.

Firstly, I'd like to think @Lepto @ninja277 and myself had some small part in this change :)

Secondly @Joveth - Can you offer clarification on the second bullet point above? Does this mean everyone gets 3% spirit damage resistance regardless? Doesn't that make Casters' basic attacks 3% worse than a similar physical attack?

Also, how do these resistances on the stat page affect status application? For example, Freeze has it's own resist listed, but are Shock, Burn, Poison and Disease statuses directly linked to Lightning, Fire, Poison and Disease damage resists?
    9Ahi08z.jpg
  • Casters mystical omg!!!
  • Caster and Ekko will be happy. Slow and tank heroes will be not happy.
  • Savage wrote: »
    RIP Bovus • Feb 2016

Was good til it lasted :D
    TYRANNO992

• PrezObama wrote: »
    Firstly, I'd like to think @Lepto @ninja277 and myself had some small part in this change :)
    What does that topic have to do with these changes..? :o
    I'm a little old cat lady from Uttica.
  • Renly wrote: »
    Yoko sumo stomp nerf, yay! Also, praying there is another sticky coming soon related to a revamped guild system.

Totally agree! Joveth any word on when the fixes to the guild tourney are going to be live?

• Savage wrote: »
    sadly this still doesnt change the Yoko problem and will make it even worse because rogues wont be able to take him out first turn anymore...
    Lock Jaw + Stampede also works on Yoko, only Lock Jaw doesn't do that much damage.
    I'm a little old cat lady from Uttica.
  • HaxusBloodbaneHaxusBloodbane Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    I'm excited for the scramble coming soon. There's going to be a massive search for the next best teams. Thank god too, Now I can remove a little complaint from my tag.
    Wants Control over a Legion of Spiders
    In game Level: 70
    Shared hero: Archangel Emily (Lvl 70), Epic level 12
    Lord of the Fries of The Potato Army Random Mook in Tater Squad Nameless Grunt in Tater Tots
    I'm on Twitter regularly

• Pvp gonna be so fun
  • Yay, we ended the Yoko-Bovus metagame!
    Welcome Yoko-Casters metagame!

Anyway I am really excited about the new changes, especially the revamped casters and Ekko :)
    Andre4897
  • Liking the look of it, good to see active changes in pvp. Keeps it interesting.
  • Renly wrote: »
    Wait, so casters get buffed and Zurk is still left crying in the corner!? Hahahaha, RIP Zurk, you will never be relevant.

Well, teoretically more casters on Defense = more Zurk usage
    Andre4897
  • Now we just need a Light Caster with PwnUndead trait, to efficiently counter the tremedous amount of HP the Undead Team will have. :D
    TYRANNO992

• 40% health increase... Looks like Tsume will take longer to kill.... Meaning more "Tsume OP" threads...
  • I was thinking that increased PvP health would help things from being the one hit wonder the situation is at the moment, so that's probably a step in the right direction. I've played games previously where there were different health totals in PvP compared to PvE.

I am wondering if a lot of Fasts are going to struggle now though.

Also, the recent buffs to Slow heroes didn't make any of them particularly viable; with the new Caster buff against Slow heroes (and a big buff at that...) I think Slow heroes are going to go back in the locker.

Finally - are the health changes going to affect PvP light i.e. the Tower?
    Level 31 - and leaving the game. Thanks to undesirable changes in the game.
    6* heroes (in order obtained): Pontifex, Icebloom, Therand
    5* heroes (in order obtained): Lady Nimriel, Bovus, Takumi, Mangle, Dagrund, Ignus, Jabber, Squinch, Willow, Masuta Kira, Nub Nub, Black Diamond, Alexandros, Yorick, Executum, Phenol
This discussion has been closed.

© 2015 Big Fish Games. Inc., Big Fish, the Big Fish logo, and Dungeon Boss are
trademarks of Big Fish Games, Inc., used with permission www.bigfishgames.com