Did they just make the tower harder?

Comments

• Foozle wrote: »
    I haven't thought through completely, but they may need to give everyone the extra 40% life in the Tower like they do in PvP. Without the extra life, it will be difficult to keep your heroes alive if the defense has a runed up MK, BD or Kira. May have to resort to sending sacrifice teams in again, which is a pain.

I literally just had a lvl 69 black diamond almost one shot my Zen/Kozar/Astrid/GG team. Their Kai had no ascensions, so I can't imagine the BD was runed very well. I think runes make the lower health pools a huge issue.
  • Lev 53 3 star tower enemies one shotting lev 62 5 star heroes makes no sense. If you want to make the tower harder fine - make the levels have higher points, but making tower heroes 5X stronger than ours could be at that level just sucks.
  • I literally just had a lvl 69 black diamond almost one shot my Zen/Kozar/Astrid/GG team. Their Kai had no ascensions, so I can't imagine the BD was runed very well. I think runes make the lower health pools a huge issue.

Brutal. Luckily my tower had lower level opponents (61-64ish), but they still were painful at those levels. If you get the misfortune of having a Legend 1 uber team on defense, it won't matter how many sacrifice teams you throw at them, as they will just one shot at least one of your guys even with normal attacks.

It is hard to say whether this change was intended or unintended. It is also hard to say whether DB even knew runes were not active on defending tower teams. It is possible that when, as someone else already pointed out, they fixed runes on defending revenge teams, they inadvertently activated them on defending Tower teams as well.

My guess is that the official answer will be something like: "Hey folks, sorry about the Tower change. It was an intentional change to fix a long standing bug of runes not being active on defense. We just missed announcing the change in the latest patch notes. Sorry for any inconvenience."

• I lost both MK and BD to a 8 lower lv 3* team at Fl. 1
    The grass isn't necessarily any greener on the other side... sometimes it's just the flowers are in different places.
    Jr. Complainer @ Society of Bosses
  • it is because of the furnace token quest! that must be it! aint no easy furnace tokens for joo
  • At first I thought it might just be a byproduct of bait teams no longer being viable in PVP. Now players with robust rosters are defending with their best teams. But the behavior I'm witnessing is much more extreme than that. This game is so beta.
  • EhicEhic Member
    Just ran another perfect tower with only one close call. Whatever has happened, it isn't affecting everyone universally.
  • JovethJoveth Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
    Hey folks, I, too, was puzzled as to why this was happening, until I realized that last night (if you read our patch notes) we fixed an issue in which Runes weren't working properly on Defense teams when folks would Revenge.

Now that that is fixed, the Tower of PWNage has teams with Runes working as intended, hence the change in difficulty.
    Joveth Gonzalez
    Sr. Communications Manager @ Boss Fight Entertainment
  • ODPODP Member
    But there is no way for us to determine the runes the have or even the team strength, a pretty blind way to approach a tower fight.. a more explicit warning to everyone is probably warranted.
  • sirtainlysirtainly Member
    edited January 26
    Joveth, if that's the case, it could make the tower so very much harder for those of us without deep pockets and without the intimate rune and game synergy knowledge that the topmost players have. Again, it all depends on how the floors are populated relative to my team makeup and strength.

The tower was my main source of gems, which are central to my enjoyment of DB. It figures. Whenever I begin to master something, it changes :)

We'll see how it goes next tower. Maybe its a good thing - I've been playing too much instead of getting some things in Real Life done.
    Foozle wrote: »
    Joveth wrote: »
    Hey folks, I, too, was puzzled as to why this was happening, until I realized that last night (if you read our patch notes) we fixed an issue in which Runes weren't working properly on Defense teams when folks would Revenge.

Now that that is fixed, the Tower of PWNage has teams with Runes working as intended, hence the change in difficulty.

Wasn't verbatim to my predicted response, but pretty close. Maybe DB should start putting me on their payroll and I can handle some of the recurring communications. ;P I did nail the "Hey folks" part for sure.

This is fair, and I appreciate that feedback. In the future, we'll make sure to communicate these changes more directly. And hey, "hey folks!" is useful! Makes no gender assumptions, useful for all audiences, etc. Of course, my Texas is showing with that phrase, but what are you gonna do? Bye y'all!
    Joveth Gonzalez
  • I haven't noticed anything different yet. Today's tower and the past couple have been fairly consistent. I can still autorun most levels with UD team of ~25K RP. My other fast team (MK, BD, Willow, Yasmin) also seem to be able to take care of things as usual.

maybe I'm just lucky and not affected by this? (doubtful but I don't see any change personally).
  • Joveth wrote: »

This makes some sense... IF you've been revenging. My loss logs are basically all to lvl 65-70 players, so I think I've hit revenge about three times total, and none of those times were near when this last tower activated. Whatever the reason, there's no way that any amount of lesser or improved runes should make it that a six-level lower, three-star team will one shot my six-star team with improved and greater runes. Maybe if they're ALL sporting heroic greater or superior runes, but really, how would a lvl 47 player realistically rock those kinds of runes? Please, @Joveth, @Joel, fix the tower.
  • So a full team of 6*s getting one-shot by a 3* Ponti that's ten or eleven levels below is "working as intended"? I've always thought the tower was the weakest link in this game, and this confirms it.

• kalamadeakalamadea Member
    edited January 26

Have to help me out - you mean heros 10 levels lower, with half the stars, and not FA ARE SUPPOSED to one shot our teams?

I had tower teams that beat 20k+ / +5 level PVP defenses, blown away by lower level tower heroes like they were made of paper.
  • Drew21 wrote: »

This is a mistake, you have now made things harder for people as they are leveling but have not offered better rewards in over a year, increasing the difficulty of content thats not changed in a year then offering no better rewards and claiming its just finally "working as intended" many many months after runes came out is a slap in the face of those who are leveling and now struggling with pvp and here a week later now struggling with tower. This is going to cost the game more players leaving from frustration.

They clearly didn't intend to activate runes in the tower. As Foozle said, they probably never even knew they weren't active. It's just a "happy" side effect of them fixing the revenge system. Which means the two are tied together, and everyone is stuck with a super hard tower, because there's no way they are going to give up the revenge system that quickly after introducing it.
  • turner3dturner3d Member
    edited January 26
    Sorry, but this is nonsense. "Tower of PWNage has teams with Runes working as intended" - seriously? You intended for opponents with player level minus 10 be able to OHK highly a runed-up team? I call BS.
    Foozle wrote: »
    Also, as someone already mentioned, you need to show us the defending team roster power and runes, same as in PvP.

We're looking into being able to do this, but it will be a bit of time before you see it. Definitely on our list of items to address.

Joveth
    Joveth Gonzalez
  • It seems the previous PvP "scaling" issue may be in play here... there is no way a runed up level 51 should be one-shotting runed up level 70 players.
    10328949?gid=

• VoidravenVoidraven Member
    edited January 26
    Ridiculous! Runes were here for a long time and just now you figured out they were not working?

You never said in runes update patch notes that tower mobs will have runes. Now you are making up intended changes in the past update? Sounds like you just wanted to come up with a reason for this utterly wrong move. They have runes and they are hidden? Yes sure it was an intended feature it seems really an honest statement.

Are we playing the same game ? godmode on meth mobs are intended? Level 60 mobs smoking my lvl 70 best runed team is because of couple of -hidden we have to guess- runes on them?

Are you going to cater to whales only? Not dissing their choice it's their decision what to do with their money that is buy loads of gem.

But how about ppl who relied on tower and occasional rl money purchases?

You destroy that player base specially now that the pvp season is the actual game and everything else revolves around it. meaning the need for constant rune crafting to stay competitive which requires gems.

If you block or hamper tower run many ppl including me will get no enjoyment in this game as the gap between super spenders and regular players will widen.

Bring the tower back to normal.
  • This would be first time ever I felt I actually need to take action based on the changes in this game.

Seriously, this can _not_ be the case.

I am level 51 and I cannot anymore complete the tower, thanks to the "working as intended" -changes. I used to be able to do this with bait teams and finish up with my stronger heroes. Now I just cannot anymore. I get hit for 8000+ damage which is probably "working as intended", but unfortunately none of my heroes can sustain that damage. Maybe some can take 4000+ once, just once. Not 4+ times are row.

Just how is it possible that a three star hero 5+ levels lower can kill opposing element (the one it can't crit) 5 star hero with one shot? Runes do not work like this on level 43 - 45, do they?

This leads into a situation I am being kicked out from my guild if I cannot complete 210 crowns per week. The way I see this the change will break eventually the social aspect of the game (big part of it at least).

Please, address this issue sooner than later otherwise for me the game will be ruined for good.

• DeetrDeetr Member
    If the difficulty of the tower is going to be increased, can we get increased rewards to match? Maybe switch out ye olde Yorick tokens on chest open to something else for a change? Other ideas welcome.
  • Just to add to this discussion, today I was hit with a Willow epic attack by a tower defender. Of course, there is no epic symbol on any tower defenders, so that was a surprise.
  • Matsuda241Matsuda241 Member
    edited January 26
    To be fair, the 'Perfectionist' title does have the description of "I didn't know that was possible, boss!" - implying that it should be extremely difficult or near-impossible to get.

I, for one, am glad to see a little challenge in regards to the tower for once. A little heads-up next time would be nice though.

You gotta work for those gems, gentlemen.
  • MonkeyHunterMonkeyHunter Member
    edited January 26
    Edit: just read joveth's comment. Good decision.