I mentioned this topic two summits ago, but I thought maybe some discussion on it could bring it further into the light for developers. I've been doing a lot of thinking on the current state of PvP. Mostly what it is about pvp that I enjoy and what it is that I dislike.
1) Seeing new defenses and having to think through a solution making sure my team can handle as many poor outcomes as possible
2) Competing against the best so that the offense I bring matters and one small misplay means a loss. (ie I brought emily to a match earlier when I should have brought zen to take care of a Kai drenched debuff and it cost me the game. My mistake. My loss. Frustrating but it's entirely my fault.)
Do Not Enjoy (Read levels of rage so high they are not quantifiable on the under 9,000 scale)
1) Losing to things out of my control on a consistent and regular basis. These include defenses with shade/sb start where depending on who they attack can completely take out my offense before I have a chance to move. MK dodging/tenacity/epic procing and to a lesser extend SB doing the same thing now. MK critting all my heroes to death despite being diseased ect
2)Seeing the same small sub set of player defenses over and over ad nauseum
3) The overall feeling of gambling related to pvp as opposed to skill which I felt strong pre-runes.
4) Dodge as a stat overall. I think this needs a separate line as I'm specifically referring to dodge on runes. Losing to a defense because a key hero had 2% dodge feels TERRIBLE. (I lost to a koros dodge just earlier). You were robbed of thousands of trophies and hundreds of gems from your streak. A 2% dodge isn't anything you would ever play around (Unless you had a 100% win team that didn't care if they dodged of course which is rarely the case).
I believe pvp focusing on the first two points, while trying to negate the bottom four points would make for a significantly more positive pvp experience for everyone. A certain level of rng is healthy for the game, but I believe the game has tipped too far in the direction of random uncontrollable outcomes deciding games. Runes make this issue worse as the power level of runes means if a single hero that was suppose to die round 1 does not... your whole team is dead.
My suggestions (Throwing pasta at the wall here to see what sticks. I'm sure we can come up with a lot of great things)
1) Reduce RNG overall. Start by toning down MKs dodge and removing tenacity. (At this point I wouldn't care if you deleted him from the game). Have AI targetting be more consistent or reduce fast heroes one shot capabilities. (Barring other synergistic buffs ie: ember/Lupina/Shade into SB makes SB do more damage.)
2) Consider making epic procs only happen in PvE. I know this hasn't really been mentioned, but I think it's a pretty big deal. Nothing is more infuriating than losing to back to back 30% epic proc probabilities when they essentially always cause a one shot. You still get to keep the epic stat increase for pvp however.
3) Continue to fix matchmaking. I should NOT be seeing the same person back to back on refreshes (Last night I actually refreshed just to be given 2 of the 3 exact same people).
These are just my thoughts from doing 40+ matches a day since preseason 2. In the current form, my frustration at the system FAR outweighs my enjoyment. Losses due to uncontrollable RNG is at the core of that frustration. No, the answer is not "get all superior legendary 5 star runes so that you can overcome RNG altogether". That only further implicates how broken rune balance becomes at the superior legendary level.