Matchmaking Changes For New Season

JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
edited April 5 in General Discussion
As some of you know, this update will make an adjustment to how your potential enemies are presented to you. You will be offered 3 opponents, an Easy, Medium and Hard opponent; which will be based on the player's hero roster and the league they're in. Trophies are awarded based on difficulty and league rank, you gain more trophies for defeating harder enemies and less for weaker enemies. The trophies for Easy, Medium and Hard are preset on a per League basis. At the end of a season you will lose 50% of the trophies you had, and your remaining trophies will determine your placement in the next season. In addition, the top 100 leaderboard (Boss 100) will be restricted to Player's level 65 and up.

We appreciate your patience while we refine our systems and hope you'll all enjoy the new and improved matchmaking process.

NOTE: As our systems transition, there may be an hour or so where no season is active.

In addition: There has been a great deal of concern regarding the integrity of PVP. We are happy to say that we've implemented changes to ensure the integrity of PVP, and we are actively monitoring player behavior to ensure that the fairness of Seasons is not threatened again in the future.
Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
www.bossfightentertainment.com
Tagged:

Comments

• Could you please detail how streaks work with the new system?

I know we will find out soon enough, but it would be good to have in writing!
  • JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
    Could you please detail how streaks work with the new system?

There are no changes to streaks at this time, but we may make changes to them down the line.
  • KaceyKacey Member
    Joel wrote: »

There are no changes to streaks at this time, but we may make changes to them down the line.

Does this mean E will have the same streak as H then?
    FINAL BOSS OFFICER
    9gJSaHl.gif
  • Zombie8uZombie8u Member
    Missing a word in the last paragraph.
  • " we are actively player behavior to ensure that the fairness of Seasons is not threatened again in the future."
    -> we are actively monitoring player behavior to ensure that the fairness of Seasons is not threatened again in the future.
  • iphonesheepiphonesheep Member
    edited April 5
    seanlucky wrote: »
    " we are actively player behavior to ensure that the fairness of Seasons is not threatened again in the future."
    -> we are actively monitoring player behavior to ensure that the fairness of Seasons is not threatened again in the future.

Something different !
    AceyNB wrote: »

Does this mean E will have the same streak as H then?

Yes.

---

@Zombie8u / @seanlucky / @iphonesheep

Whoops! Fixed!
  • Alecat97Alecat97 Member
    At the end of a season you will lose 50% of the trophies you had, and your remaining trophies will determine your placement in the next season.

Are you sure about this?
    It will be difficult to players who don't want to fight for top100 every week
  • Alecat97 wrote: »
    At the end of a season you will lose 50% of the trophies you had, and your remaining trophies will determine your placement in the next season.

Are you sure about this?

What exactly will be difficult? "It" is pretty ambiguous. This probably isn't materially different from the previous iteration for the majority of players.
  • D_RoddD_Rodd Member
    Alecat97 wrote: »

My sense is that this will benefit players who don't PVP much, because they will be placed in progressively easier leagues, providing incentive to play more as well as making that play easier. I'm interested to see how this new dynamic works.
  • @D_Rodd This new iteration of 50% trophies is actually the old method used in Preseason 3. Now, I'm curious whether there will also be a hard cap for those beyond Leg I trophy counts as before.
    What exactly will be difficult?
    Nothing to me

• Alecat97 wrote: »
    What exactly will be difficult?
    Nothing to me

That didn't really answer the question at all >.< I still have no idea what you meant when you said "it will be difficult".
    edited April 5
    D_Rodd wrote: »
    My sense is that this will benefit players who don't PVP much, because they will be placed in progressively easier leagues, providing incentive to play more as well as making that play easier. I'm interested to see how this new dynamic works.

This is an interesting point of view
  • li30li30 Member
    @Joel will there still be "soft ceiling" for low level players ?
    li30 wrote: »
    @Joel will there still be "soft ceiling" for low level players ?

No
  • Addressing the stealth change of the removal of all rune rewards aside from the Boss 100, is there any intent to make these previously rewarded runes available in the Honor Shop?
  • seanlucky wrote: »
    Addressing the stealth change of the removal of all rune rewards aside from the Boss 100, is there any intent to make these previously rewarded runes available in the Honor Shop?

I'm still downloading the patch, but certainly I'm not understanding this correctly. Does only the top 100 receive the top tier runes now? People were previously complaining about the "rich get richer" and this would undoubtedly make the situation significantly worse. I can't imagine this was done on purpose. (Please Dear God tell me I'm misunderstanding or this was a mistake).
    seanlucky wrote: »
    Addressing the stealth change of the removal of all rune rewards aside from the Boss 100, is there any intent to make these previously rewarded runes available in the Honor Shop?

Runes should not be removed. I'm having this looked into right now.
  • pjworldpjworld Member
    So, if I have a decent roster and bad runes and a bad PvP record, will I still be offered as a hard opponent ? And similarly someone who only focuses on 4-8 core heros and have them runed with amazing runes will be offered as an easy opponent?
  • rpger001rpger001 Member
    @joel Why are the champ runes blue again? That is four weeks in a row, I am bored of blue. Greens were out for 4 seasons and the community begged for change. Why is this so hard to understand? Make the rewards fun to pursue? Anyone that does a moderate amount of PvP over the last month has at least 4 blue champs now. Change it at least every 4 seasons.
    Teal125
  • lnslns Member
    This is great...for my first three opponents in the new pvp...all three have a team roster power that i can't field at all. Can someone help me understand which one is easy for my level 67 account?

tff7p5x5p00i.png
  • pjworldpjworld Member
    rpger001 wrote: »
    @joel Why are the champ runes blue again? That is four weeks in a row, I am bored of blue. Greens were out for 4 seasons and the community begged for change. Why is this so hard to understand? Make the rewards fun to pursue? Anyone that does a moderate amount of PvP over the last month has at least 4 blue champs now. Change it at least every 4 seasons.

Yes, I was really hoping we would see a new colored champ rune this season
  • @pjworld Nearly pure speculation on my part -
    Guild summit 4 addressed that the E/M/H matchmaking would be designed by a subset of heroes in your roster, which won't be publically known. I imagine that this will be based off statistics for the most used/highest win rate PvP offense heroes and defense heroes. With a list of the top ~15 heroes, they'll take the sub-total hero power and use that for initial matchmaking. Which may then be influenced by your current PvP record, win/loss%, as this was a factor in the original PvP system.

So, a decent roster that runes up less traditionally used heroes (non meta) with completely unruned meta heroes, would be offered up in E, while a player with only 12 hero sets of amazing runes, with the rest of his roster unruned, would be offered up as a H selection due to the subset categorization. Total hero power won't be important, but epic's still currently have an unbalanced weight in the matchmaking in comparison to runes.

Again, basically pure speculation. I wouldn't mind an official response as to the ins and outs of how matchmaking works though!
  • pjworldpjworld Member
    Crossing my fingers that you're 100% right about that @seanlucky
  • TTS1000TTS1000 Member
    Is noone gonna talk about the fact that only H gives as many trophies as every other match before, making 40k trophies for Legend I even more unreasonable?
    TTS1000, Officer in Kings of Diamond
    level 70, Roster Power 326k, 512k trophies (stats from March 31st 2017)
  • rpger001rpger001 Member
    lns wrote: »
    This is great...for my first three opponents in the new pvp...all three have a team roster power that i can't field at all. Can someone help me understand which one is easy for my level 67 account?

tff7p5x5p00i.png

The one on the left; he/she was not in my rotation of legendary opponents while the other two were last season. Also, anyone that puts undead in their line up does not care about PvP. Maybe they will fix that someday but not today.
    Teal125
  • MattCauthronMattCauthron Member
    edited April 5
    TTS1000 wrote: »
    Is noone gonna talk about the fact that only H gives as many trophies as every other match before, making 40k trophies for Legend I even more unreasonable?

Hard is exactly what you were seeing in previous preseasons. Essentially you get 1 "hard" option instead of 3. The other two should theoretically be easier choices. The above picture makes me question that however.
  • pjworldpjworld Member
    edited April 5
    Hard is exactly what you were seeing in previous preseasons. Essentially you get 1 "hard" option instead of 3. The other two should theoretically be easier choices. The above picture makes me question that however.

It makes sense for the previous trophy value to be normalized to M difficulty instead of H. Hope this will be reconsidered.
  • D_RoddD_Rodd Member
    Perhaps we need more time for players to separate this season before the logic appears more accurate.