This is ridiculous

I now have three losses for the season. I have only lost one match. Two game crashes have destroyed two streaks. Since the update the game keeps crashing, and now it's crashing at the start of PVP matches- right when it will record the crash as a loss- more than ever.

What's more, THE GAME knows when it's a loss caused by a crash, since the replay isn't available.

So why can't you jigger something up so that if the game can't find a replay, the match doesn't count as a loss?

At least UNTIL YOU FIX THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@eej, @joel
Tagged:

Comments

• JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
    As I've said before, this is a complex issue. Regarding your suggestion of not counting battles that don't have replays, that would not work because we only keep a certain number of replays on record at any given point, so that would not work as a solution. I understand your frustration and am talking with the team to see if there is anything we can do to resolve this, but I cannot promise any impending fix.

Also, you mentioned that the game has been crashing more since the update. Do any of these crashes have error codes? And has anyone else noticed an increased number of crashes since the update?
    Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
    www.bossfightentertainment.com
  • FatCat69FatCat69 Member
    edited September 8
    Generally,
    Joel wrote: »
    Regarding your suggestion of not counting battles that don't have replays, that would not work because we only keep a certain number of replays on record at any given point, so that would not work as a solution.

I've never seen it get rid of a MORE RECENT replay prior to getting rid of all the PREVIOUS replays. Perhaps if the game sees that the most recent raid has no replay, while all the preceding ones DO, you can safely count that raid as null and void (or better yet, go ahead and launch back into that raid because you've already taken our raid ticket and we'd still really like to raid that defender).

• Joel wrote: »
    As I've said before, this is a complex issue. Regarding your suggestion of not counting battles that don't have replays, that would not work because we only keep a certain number of replays on record at any given point, so that would not work as a solution. I understand your frustration and am talking with the team to see if there is anything we can do to resolve this, but I cannot promise any impending fix.

Also, you mentioned that the game has been crashing more since the update. Do any of these crashes have error codes? And has anyone else noticed an increased number of crashes since the update?

no, error codes, sudden crashes. I've heard others say it's been crashing more on LINE chat.

As for the replay thing:
    There are from what I've seen two types of streak ending crashes. The first is the kind I'm seeing, where you choose a team, you hit the raid button, the device pings the servers, and crashes immediately, before it even *starts* to load the dungeon.
    This ping followed by no follow up delivery of results of the battle causes it to register as a loss.

I would think it's possible to register such a discrepancy and not count it as a loss.

The second type is there the game crashes in mid battle, and when you reload the game, it asks you to continue, and when it starts to load the dungeon, you get the Blue Ball Of Death.

This type is much rarer for me, and occurs when I try to reload the game immediately instead of waiting a few minutes.

In those cases, the player has to deliberately surrender the match.

I can see what you're saying about replays, but it's not the replays *per se*.
    I'm saying the servers *know* the match was not played out and cannot provide the replay.

From what I've gathered, the match is played out on the device, and when finished, it sends a string of variables that essentially describes the actions each hero took attached to an RNG #, and replays merely retrieve those and rebuild the battle from them.

The problem from *our* end is that when your end doesn't get those numbers, it's apparently deciding you've surrendered the match. But from our end, even surrendered matches generate those numbers, yet it seems from the lack of replays on crash game cases that your servers aren't getting any.
    [I'm not a programmer, this is all speculation based on what I'm seeing] I'm wondering if there's a way to doublecheck to see if numbers are sent, if that is indeed the case here.
    In any case, the lack of replays on crashed losses shows there is a distinct difference of *some* kind between those and other losses, including surrenders.

If you can *find* that difference, I'm suggesting as a way to at least alleviate the problem, you can discard those matches. This wouldn't be so much a problem, except you've based YOUR ENTIRE BOSS100 SYSTEM on requiring streaks that are being cut short by these.
    Losing two matches doesn't affect me trophy wise, *except* that 2000 or so trophies I lose from the streak.
    This has effectively dropped me this season from being in the 50s to the low 90s.

That's stressful and incredibly annoying.

And it will probably be the last time I ever try for 100 unless a solution is found.

• mj0vfe43srfg.png
    I've had it happen twice this season so far...Took a screenshot on the last one @Joel
  • Forsaken wrote: »
    I've had it happen twice this season so far...Took a screenshot on the last one @Joel

beat me to it.

kt6l1muov4ud.png

see, from our end we can tell.

I realize these look like issues you've had with people cheating at PVP, where they'd show up and stop the match and somehow register as wins.
    This might even be your way of preventing that.

If so, my solution should still conceivably work, since I'm suggesting the match simply be nullified, not counting as a win or loss.
    As long as there's a way y'all can tell these apart.

• AmmoAmmo Member
    edited September 9
    @Joel, @danac This happened to me as well on Thursday. I posted in the forums as well as put in a support request ticket. I was on a small streak as well, and it's frustrating as the raid tickets are very valuable as well as the streaks. I'm hoping (and believe that mine will also be resolved in a proper manner).

Generally, I have been properly compensated for all issues I've had with DB in the past. Hoping this one is no different. Might be tricky to restore a win streak, but hopefully the tickets and some other compensation for our headache/time will be issued to us.

For things like this, DB/BF has generally done more than right by me. :)
    1611701?gid=
  • 96kqp2hr3pzl.png

Dang it! Not a club I wanted to join.
    edited September 11
    Have you noticed this happening after taking certain actions in the game? Does this happen often after logging in, doing things with runes, summoning, etc.? And to confirm, nobody else is seeing error codes, out of sync messages, 'Dungeon Boss Just Got Better' messages, or anything else before these crashes, it just shuts down? Also, are you on iOS or Android? Any details you can provide will go a long way. :)
    edited September 11
    Just crashes. Out of memory error. No warning. No explanation. Just launch the raid and it crashes and we're out sitting in the springboard.

It'll run out of memory without doing anything extra -- just running raids over and over will do it. Equipping and unequipping a bunch of runes used to eat up free memory and result in almost immediate crashes as well. I have had defenses that I know are tougher than I can handle, gone out and crafted a new rune and shifted a few around onto my attacking heroes, and then gone back to raid only to have it crash when I went to attack. Talk about adding insult to injury.

And contrary to your release note, It's still resulting in losses. I've had only one broken streak this season, but I'm force quitting and relaunching the app every 10 raids or so. Others are having worse luck. A friend in my guild lost a 75 streak to it, then had a second crash/loss and broken streak four raids later.

The blue orb of death (raid wants to continue but can't) seemed to happen when you would switch away to another app, i.e. To message your friends and guild in Line. iOS would decide that the Dungeon Boss app needed to be force quit/cleaned up while we were out of the game, likely because of low memory conditions, and then when you return to the app, you would see it relaunch instead of resume and even though it would offer you the RESUME option, it would either return to a zoomed in version of your team and the chest sparkling in the background or give the blue orb of death (blue "waiting" orb just spinning eternally). If you got the zoomed in view, there was nothing you could do because there's no Autorun button and no way to tap on a member of the other team to continue the attack as they're all offscreen. Force quitting and relaunching at this point typically went to the blue orb of death again.

Please, please fix. We have been living with this painful uncertainty for far too long.
  • BeckerbearBeckerbear Member
    edited September 11
    So this seems the appropriate place to mention that I'm on 7 glitch losses for the season. I don't get error codes, when my characters face the chest for the win, I can't activate it and I still have battle options below like I'm expected to attack the chest. Force closing and reloading shows the same and I have to retreat.

What I also came to the forums looking for, is since Thurs update my PvP options have become insanely hard. I have not made any huge roster increase, but my left options are 2-4k over my max possible roster. My right window is crazy with power 10k and runes 1k over my max team. I made legend I before the update, but I don't even know if I'll make it next season? Any reports of this kind of problem???

On android btw

Thanks!
    Beckerbear wrote: »
    So this seems the appropriate place to mention that I'm on 7 glitch losses for the season. I don't get error codes, when my characters face the chest for the win, I can't activate it and I still have battle options below like I'm expected to attack the chest. Force closing and reloading shows the same and I have to retreat.

What I also came to the forums looking for, is since Thurs update my PvP options have become insanely hard. I have not made any huge roster increase, but my left options are 2-4k over my max possible roster. My right window is crazy with power 10k and runes 1k over my max team. I made legend I before the update, but I don't even know if I'll make it next season? Any reports of this kind of problem???

On android btw

Thanks!

These issues seem separate from the crashes being discussed here. There is already a thread regarding PVP matchmaking, but there isn't one about not being able to open chests, feel free to start a new one for that.
  • Oooops ok sorry wrong thread. My bad.
    Have you noticed this happening after taking certain actions in the game? Does this happen often after logging in, doing things with runes, summoning, etc.? And to confirm, nobody else is seeing error codes, out of sync messages, 'Dungeon Boss Just Got Better' messages, or anything else before these crashes, it just shuts down? Also, are you on iOS or Android? Any details you can provide will go a long way. :)

I'm on ios.
    I think fatcat summed up the problems nicely.

I will say it happened again today. It went to ping your servers and shut down.
    I was riding a 66 game streak.
    So I shut off my tablet. Restarted, reloaded game, and did NOT get a loss. The team I'd pressed attack on was still there, as if I hadn't pressed the raid button.
    This might be an aberration, or it might be useful as a workaround.
  • @Joel @Eej

Beckerbear is referring to the second issue I noted above -- the one that usually progresses to the blue orb of death. (First step is usually the relaunchin of the app when you change back to the app, ability to Continue, with the game resuming in a zoomed in view as if you had one, even though the battle is still in progress).

We have been reporting the crashes for months, and this blue orb of death thing has been more than a month now. Disappointed that you guys don't seem moderately familiar with them. They are absolutely RUINING the gaming experience because of the broken streaks. These need to be fixed ASAP.
    edited September 11
    @danac, I've seen that effect once, just after the new update. It happened late so I questioned whether I had really launched the raid, but now that someone else has seen it I can confirm this happened to me once as well.

Quite the emotional roller coaster. "Crap! It crashed. Guess it's time to go to bed anyway. Relaunch the app just in case. What? No resume? What? No loss? What? The defense is still there? Wtf?"
    edited September 11
    @FatCat69, making sure I understand you correctly: You're saying you don't see the 'blue orb of death' after a normal crash, right? That's a separate issue from the crashes? And do you have a screenshot of it?

We've been aware of the crashes and did implement a fix that prevents streaks from being broken when you close the game intentionally, but preventing streak loss after a crash is a separate, tricky issue. The fact that you're saying that it has become more common since the update is what is particularly troubling, and we're hoping that the increase will help uncover details that will help us resolve the issue as a whole. Thank you very much for all the details you've been able to provide thus far. :)
  • Typically that one happens after the game relaunches, i.e. You change away to another app, and you come back to Dungeon Boss to find that the DB app is relaunching (iOS has reclaimed the memory/quit the app so isn't able to quickly resume).

So you see the DB intro splash screen and then the Continue? Prompt. If you continue your raid it will either go to the blue orb of death or will go to a zoomed in view showing two of your heroes and the sparkling chest as if you had won.

But you haven't; clicking on the chest does nothing, and the controls at the bottom -- basic and special attacks -- are still live. Unfortunately most specials require you to click on the opposing team and none of them are visible, so there's no way to move forward in the raid. The only thing you can do is to force quit and relaunch the app and typically when you Continue the second time, it never goes back into the raid, just displays the blue spinning orb of death that never goes away.
    @FatCat69, making sure I understand you correctly: You're saying you don't see the 'blue orb of death' after a normal crash, right? That's a separate issue from the crashes? And do you have a screenshot of it?

We've been aware of the crashes and did implement a fix that prevents streaks from being broken when you close the game intentionally, but preventing streak loss after a crash is a separate, tricky issue. The fact that you're saying that it has become more common since the update is what is particularly troubling, and we're hoping that the increase will help uncover details that will help us resolve the issue as a whole. Thank you very much for all the details you've been able to provide thus far. :)

I've been seeing more crashes in general since the update.
    The PVP crashes were just one aspect of that.

I have since stopped running the game at higher than 1x when running dungeons, and the amount of crashes has decreased
    I've also been shutting down and restarting my tablet more often.
    Fatcat's assertion it's a memory issue seems to be right and solved by one or both of these steps.

• 635831244093205045-1750822660_tumblr_mw289af1yp1qew2ypo1_500.gif
  • @Joel This happened again to me today. This time, I received a phone call in the middle of the raid, took the call, and when I went back to DB, it restarted because the OS had killed it. It then plays out exactly like @FatCat69 described. I'm on iOS. I think DB isn't saving game state properly when it moves to the background under certain cases, like a phone call, and is killed by the OS.

I will add that one time when I was at the stage where you're staring at the sparkling chest, I was able to use an ability and target my visible hero, and the fight continued as normal.

Also, when you restart and continue for the second time and see the infinite loading screen with spinning blue orb, you can initially hear some sound effects and the battle music, so I believe the fight is loaded and running, just behind the loading screen.
  • @Joel Some screenshots.

2u4sq8yn75iu.jpg
    vy4yvi9zyg7t.jpg
    ir6quyhxxgu5.jpg
  • MalphiusMalphius Member
    edited September 13
    @Joel This has happened quite a few times since the update. Blue orb of death, game crash, come back to no continue option with a loss showing. Extremely frustrating. I'm on an android device. I have followed the instructions repeatedly from customer service. They say it's a memory issue of the devs side.When I put in a customer service ticket, part of the response I got from Big fish is in the other screenshot below. Nice thing to be telling one of your 1% supporters of the game. Not to mention the crap service that I received from them as well.

0zw82kob8v5x.png

xjxh1z63wxcz.png

ytn6dvkm4r06.jpg

malphius
  • Wait, they're actively telling people to go play another game.

I have an image of a man in a row boat in the middle of an ocean.. with a gun... shooting the bottom of the hull....

• MalphiusMalphius Member
    edited September 13
    @kalamadea @Joel I am shocked and infuriated at the CS response I got.
    malphius
  • OMG. That's pretty bad.

No compensation, just why don't you take a break.

I don't even bother reporting the crashes anymore because I kept getting "Yeah, you already told us about this problem and we gave you 8 raid tickets back then. No more compensation. Go away."

Rude.
    @Malphius, I understand that you are frustrated, and we fully recognize that losing your win streak is painful. As both the CS representative and I have said, we are working to have this issue resolved as quickly as possible. I have confirmed that you were given compensation that is consistent with customer support’s policies, but I understand that you have not found that compensation satisfactory. I do not have any power over customer support nor their compensation policies, so I will have to ask you to continue your conversation with them on that matter. With regards to the ‘taking a break’ comment, you had previously said that you were close to ‘finding a different game to play’ because of the crashes. While we naturally don’t want to see you leave the game, the response was meant to respectfully acknowledge your previous comment as well as your freedom as a player to make such a choice. I sincerely apologize if the response came off as dismissive or offensive. We absolutely hope that you will stick around, as we have a lot of fun things on the horizon. Once again, I apologize for this negative experience.
  • @Joel It came off extremely dismissive. Please find a fix for this. While I'm not sure if you play, but when you are spending 60 - 80 gems per refresh to stay competitive in the top 100 in PvP, and your streak gets jacked like that, even after following the customer service representatives advice to prevent the issue, you gotta admit it's frustrating. I spend quite a bit of money to support what I believe to be a great game. Of course I'm gonna threaten to leave because the problem is not going away even after it has been reported for quite a while. I shouldn't have to be exiting the game. I shouldn't have to contact customer service to try and cut my loses. Please find a fix for this. Thank you
    malphius
  • I had one where I won, it froze when collecting chest and had to force close and exit. It counted as a lost.

klvnge19bpiv.png
    e7fcs2jhgndl.png
  • I have had 2 of the instances as well the past few days of what @FatCat69 has described - in the middle of a PvP battle, exiting the app to take a phone call or switching to Line or some other app before the fight is over and coming back to find the "swirling blue orb of death" when trying to resume the fight. Force quitting or resetting the phone just gets you back to the same situation, and eventually you have to choose retreat and take the loss to be able to continue playing. I play on iOS.

I have not contacted customer support as I am aware it's a known issue and didn't figure there was anything they could do anyways. Just wanted to chime in as another person affected by this - it definitely is frustrating to lose streaks like this.

jcgbe7shaf2i.png