Can we ease up on the use of potions for event quests?

@Joel

I don't mind the whole "use X potions" to complete some of the event quests, but it seems like it's getting a bit out of hand. The frequency and amount seems to go up and up.

Can we see a reduction in the amount needed to complete the quests? At least with the "use friends" you AND your friend gain a quick loot key.

Using potions just to use a bunch of potions seems punitive. Perhaps more of the "gain crowns" and "click on sparklies" quests, things that are rewarding for the player.

Tagged:

Comments

• Wouldn't mind seeing potions as friend rewards. With "potion sampling" and types of quest like these, potions are awe fully scare these days...
    Awesome Farfella guy up there was created by jackhallow666^!!!
    Also, go gorgons!
  • JackHallow666JackHallow666 Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    farfella wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind seeing potions as friend rewards. With "potion sampling" and types of quest like these, potions are awe fully scare these days...

Tell that to me 500+ health potions.
    Level: 70
    Favorite hero: Bovus
    Favorite element: Nature
    Currently: Trying to max out Epics
  • Yeah, got a lot of those too, but I like to auto run the easy dungeons with furnace, so my heroes never get damaged. Energies are the ones that are low.
    Awesome Farfella guy up there was created by jackhallow666^!!!
    Also, go gorgons!
  • I was thinking this too. So many things we can do instead.
    I'd rather click 100 sparkles than have to try and use potions.
    At level 70 it's hard to use potions.
    DB Player since 10.11.2015
    The Tatar Squad
  • Run dungeons with slow heroes.

I have close to 1000 health potions. I don't mind burning a few.

All the "use X friends" or "use 3*X potions" quests are simply run X dungeons in disguise. I don't mind that.
  • FatCat69 wrote: »
    Run dungeons with slow heroes.

I have close to 1000 health potions. I don't mind burning a few.

All the "use X friends" or "use 3*X potions" quests are simply run X dungeons in disguise. I don't mind that.

Nyah. I have over a thousand energy, and almost 1300 health.

Still, it gets annoying changing my potions to three health and running a dungeons with on hero to be sure he gets hurt - usually for like 12 hit points- just so I can heal him three times and do the quests.

And I've noticed they're piling the potion quests on too.

• I generally don't like these kind of quests; they want you to use precious resources (for some of us) just for some loot that we can get in 3 min. Its also really time consuming compared to things like "complete three raids" which give better rewards
    Mock exams finished...Im back!
    I had, at one point, about 600 energy potions. Slowly but surely they ran out over the year, and eventually I also realized there was a purchase cap of 20, so the only way to actually have more than 20 was to simply not use them and save them up. Seriously though, energy potions are really great and health potions aren't, so just use the health ones.

PS - Since people have been talking about a mat cap increase lately, I want to add on that the purchasing cap of potions should also be increased. I want to buy my way back to over 500 energy potions!
  • We need to use 12 potions for today's quest, 3: The Wasted Stuff.

Is that a reduction from 15 last time or am I just being optimistic?

Like so many others, I really don't like being forced to waste potions. I almost never need to use a potion except for this type of quest, and I still don't like throwing them away like this.
  • JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
    Potions are a core part of the game, which are meant to be used regularly. These quests are designed to be completed through natural play, because it asks you to use a resource that most players use daily. If you're strong enough that you don't need to use potions regularly, these quests are giving you an outlet to turn items that would otherwise be sitting in your inventory unused into something else (quest rewards). If you're not using them to begin with and we don't run potion quests, you'll just be sitting at 999 of each potion in your inventory and then losing the potential value of every other potion that you would be picking up in dungeons. I'm admittedly surprised that you're not fond of these quests.
    Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
    www.bossfightentertainment.com
  • How about allowing us to use health potions on full health heroes as a workaround?
  • @Joel there's a limit of 999? I kinda doubt it.
    ezp0mgh6rox4.jpeg
  • Joel wrote: »
    Potions are a core part of the game, which are meant to be used regularly. These quests are designed to be completed through natural play, because it asks you to use a resource that most players use daily. If you're strong enough that you don't need to use potions regularly, these quests are giving you an outlet to turn items that would otherwise be sitting in your inventory unused into something else (quest rewards). If you're not using them to begin with and we don't run potion quests, you'll just be sitting at 999 of each potion in your inventory and then losing the potential value of every other potion that you would be picking up in dungeons. I'm admittedly surprised that you're not fond of these quests.

The problem is the only reliable source of potions is summons, and the occasional daily reward. We can't craft them (why not?), and they don't drop from dungeons.

For some reason I can't buy them in the shop; it says I'm full even though I now have only 307 energy and 196 health potions. I used to have over 500 energy, but these events are burning through them a lot faster than I replace them through normal play. So I am forced to do great summons to get more potions.

If I do 10 great summons at once, 5 are gold chests so no potion drop possible. I don't want to waste honor on honor summons, that's saved for buying runes from the honor shop. I don't want to waste gems/gem rewards on heroic summons unless I have more than one in hand, and you don't have a counter to tell me how many 10x heroic summons I have in hand. I know I currently have only one, but have to keep a tally outsidse the game so I don't use my last one just when I might need it for a new hero release.

So the only regular source of potions is the Great Summon, one slow summon at a time. A lot of those won't give energy or health potions, but experience potions (wasted, I'm maxed) or no potion, just a free loot key (I'm maxed) or a low level evo or two. If great summons didn't take 12-15 seconds to cycle then they would be less painful.
  • TTS1000 wrote: »
    @Joel there's a limit of 999? I kinda doubt it.
    ezp0mgh6rox4.jpeg

Here I'm all **** TTS has a ton of potions!!

*Checks potions*

Oh I have over 2000 of each... They probably go over 100,000 considering I just learned gems do as well!
    I would like new types of potions as well as a way to craft them! That's a cool idea Barelyman. Also, if you want us to regularly use potions, maybe buff the health potions to cure ALL debuffs, not just poison and burning!

Hopefully new types of potions and potion crafting becomes a thing.
  • I don't have a thousand potions, I don't even have 30 of each.

I guess it's not a big deal if you have tons, must be nice.

• Evil_SpiritsEvil_Spirits Unconfirmed, Member
    We need some new quests like turn the music on/off 15 times xD JK but maybe something like complete a dungeon without using abilities, without taking a hit, whatever.
  • JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
    The 999 cap comment was my bad, that's the cap on materials, and for some reason I forgot it didn't apply to potions. :tongue:

Regarding potion purchases: They become greyed out when you have more than 20 or so of a given potion, because you can only use three in a single dungeon, so having more than that is superfluous. The purchases become available again if you run low. Don't worry, you'll never be at risk of being unable to buy as many potions as you can use before a given dungeon.

If you're looking for a workaround for health potion use, just bring four slow heroes into a low level dungeon with fast and normal speed enemies. Let your heroes take 10 damage, then use health potions and crush the dungeon. :)
    Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
    www.bossfightentertainment.com
  • edited September 20
    Yea I don't really mind these. 12 is slightly annoying since I can't finish it in one day unless I actually use stamina but that's a pretty minor inconvenience lol.
    9285y0i7kae9.png
    centralcommand
    Joel wrote: »
    The 999 cap comment was my bad, that's the cap on materials, and for some reason I forgot it didn't apply to potions. :tongue:

Regarding potion purchases: They become greyed out when you have more than 20 or so of a given potion, because you can only use three in a single dungeon, so having more than that is superfluous. The purchases become available again if you run low. Don't worry, you'll never be at risk of being unable to buy as many potions as you can use before a given dungeon.

If you're looking for a workaround for health potion use, just bring four slow heroes into a low level dungeon with fast and normal speed enemies. Let your heroes take 10 damage, then use health potions and crush the dungeon. :)

Well by that logic since you only need a couple dozen of any one material for runes, having 999 of any material is superfluous. I get your point but why not just let us buy as many as we want? Sure we only use 3 at a time but eventually we'll run out and have to buy more. And then we'll run out really really fast since we can only have 20 (by the way, it actually limits you at 19. Not 20. If the number you buy would put you at 20, it won't allow it).

Seems silly we can't just stock up since there's technically no limit. Why bother with the extra code to prevent us from having more than 20? Why make that rule if there's not actually a cap?
  • I think they're trying to save new users from themselves, i.e. wasting gems and whatnot by purchasing a ton of them.
    edited September 21
    FatCat69 wrote: »
    I think they're trying to save new users from themselves, i.e. wasting gems and whatnot by purchasing a ton of them.

Yeah, gotta turn as many players as possible away from spending money on the game! Don't want them using gems on such nonsense!
  • Be honest with yourself, if anyone's buying those in the shop, they're brand new to the game. They have no idea what they're doing and/or what they should be spending their money on or focusing on.

By the time you've been playing to level 70, you're no longer a total n00b and you've probably amassed at least a thousand health potions, 400-500 energy potions, and 150-200 resurrection potions. You're no longer buying those items from the shop.
    Be honest with yourself, if anyone's buying those in the shop, they're brand new to the game. They have no idea what they're doing and/or what they should be spending their money on or focusing on.

By the time you've been playing to level 70, you're no longer a total n00b and you've probably amassed at least a thousand health potions, 400-500 energy potions, and 150-200 resurrection potions. You're no longer buying those items from the shop.

Must've been playing wrong -- I've never had more than 50 res potions and around 70-80 health and energy pots. Sounds like I'm the lone person who feels the pressure when it comes to these quests.

Guess I'll just have to be judicious about when I want to complete them.

• kalamadea wrote: »
    FatCat69 wrote: »
    Be honest with yourself, if anyone's buying those in the shop, they're brand new to the game. They have no idea what they're doing and/or what they should be spending their money on or focusing on.

Must've been playing wrong -- I've never had more than 50 res potions and around 70-80 health and energy pots. Sounds like I'm the lone person who feels the pressure when it comes to these quests.

Guess I'll just have to be judicious about when I want to complete them.

I did buy a dew of those things in the shop before I hit level 30 or so and realized the hierarchy of gem spending.

I never ever used rez potions except for special events, when they used to be hard dungeons.

Likewise energy potions, it's more interesting to plan out special timing.
    I can see people bulldozing through dungeons using potions, it would be quicker. But really, after runes, and the nerfing of event dungeons, I can't see anyone using potions other than extremely rarely, or for something like the invasion.

As for accumulating potions, spend your daily free heroic summons on Great portal t do guild quest. You'll get health potions often enough. Energy are harder, you can either convert health to energy by using two health potions a day and claiming conversion quest, or spend some honor on Honor portal, I*think* t gives out energy every so often.

I have almost 1,000 health pots, but I am constantly buying energy pots, mainly b/c these events always call for them. I wouldn't say it would make me a noob though.
  • It seems strange to say: you should be playing the game the way we think you should be playing and enjoy what we think you should enjoy. Instead, it might be more helpful to take note of what we actually do and don't like. Most of us at higher levels really don't like this quest. It slows down our play and makes us feel like we are just wasting our resources. And it just isn't particularly fun. At least with "Kill 95 warriors" or the like, there is a tiny moment of guild interaction as we report which dungeons have the most warriors. (That kind of thing is even better when we can discuss ways to maximize our success at several quests at once!) The point being that anything that gets guild members talking, or people otherwise acting together, even minimally, as with using friends, is better than: "Burn this resource you otherwise wouldn't want to bun, and mess up your play style doing so."
    I probably had like 600 or so but slowly lost them all to this quest without noticing. I don't see why there's a cap at 20. I've got nothing else to spend my gold on, why not use it on these things?
  • LadyDaerisLadyDaeris Member
    edited September 22
    Being mid-level, I have to say that my big problem is how often these quests show up. I did the last few events and now have to buy potions to complete this one. I'm afraid to use potions now unless its during an event or for my daily quests
  • FatCat69FatCat69 Member
    edited September 22
    One other point — the daily quest GIVES YOU a health potion and an energy potion when you complete it, so it if you complete it using two excess health potions, you’re essentially converting one from a potion you don’t need to one that you do. No one is losing potions on those dailies.

Event quests are a slightly different calculus but I’m willing to trade 15 potions and some stamina for 3 heroic summons or a skin at the end. You aren’t burning them for no reason.