Grand Tourney feedback

I am not enjoying this event. Ticket snafu aside, the event quests are some of my least favorites thus far, the constant PvP play feels more like a MOBA than I like, I must either burn a ton of hammers or lose days' worth of honor, the ticket win-to-cost ratio is asininely high, and finally, the need to spend several hours playing non-stop to rank well is a massive detraction from the fun I normally receive from playing DB.

Bottom line. I disliked the Boss Invasion event, but I HATE this event. Please do not run such an event again in the future!
Tagged:

Comments

• I like it! Quests are not super importent, all you have to do is pvp, pvp, pvp, plain and simple. Also, I a, getting much more trophies and a much higher rank than I normally would.
    Awesome Farfella guy up there was created by jackhallow666^!!!
    Also, go gorgons!
  • JackHallow666JackHallow666 Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    It's not all bad. Just mostly. Here's what I think they did right:

- PvP-exclusive buffs/debuffs. This is a great idea. I don't think these should be guild event exclusives, though. I think every season should just have it's own set of rules. Would make PvP more fun as a whole.
    - PvP oriented event. Some may not like this, but as farfella said above - It's simple and easy. I'd say it's repetitive but the buffs/debuffs really help a lot, so does the new 2x speed button. Perhaps the issue is that the meta focuses so heavily around 2 heroes, and there's quite a bit of lag between just pressing buttons to get to your next raid.
    - New stuff in the Aether Shop. Although still no reply from the devs about the skins which they clearly advertised but aren't there.

Now, here's what's obviously wrong with it:

- Tickets disappearing. This isn't really anything wrong with the event, just an annoying thing that hopefully doesn't happen again.
    - Sorta 'meh' rewards. I don't know about you guys, but there wasn't much motivation to play after the guild got 200k trophies. A few more Solaris tokens and a slightly better rune aren't really worth going for, especially when you need hundreds of thousands of trophies to do so. Ramp up the rewards, lower the trophies needed to get better rewards, of a mix of both.
    - The streaks being gone. Now, I get it. This was to put everyone on even ground. Losing a raid wasn't that big a deal. But it made it VERY hard for anyone to climb up leagues. Even with all the raid tickets. Suggestion? Keep streaks on, and make them give you more trophies so you can get back to your previous league. But then don't use trophies to determine rewards. Perhaps using PvP battles won could work. 1 point for every left raid, 2 for every middle, and 3 for every right raid. That way streaks can still be active but not affect rewards.
    - Lastly, stop with this "top 5 people" or "top guild gets the most" crap. Just like with the "Who can spend the most on portals?" event. It's not creative, not fun, and worst of all, it really gives the people who won those spots a position to rub it in everyone's faces. Not like they all do, but it creates a feeling that you guys only love the top spenders. Even if it's true, at least don't blatantly say it outright. The extra reward for 1st place in this event was literally bragging rights - a player achievement. I get placing higher on a leaderboard should give you better rewards, but PLEASE don't make those rewards bragging rights. It's just mean to everyone else; Or at least, that's how I feel about it. In the same way, I actually would feel bad about getting one of those rewards because I feel I'd just be making others jealous. It doesn't feel inspiring at all.
    Level: 70
    Favorite hero: Hansuke
    Currently: Waiting for new PvE content and the PvP revamp.
  • Just my two cents, but I think this is the worst event to date! I hate this event and I'm going to quit playing until this event is over.
  • I feel like I'm going to be playing super hard and not get any good rewards ... it really is a level 70 event
  • danacdanac Member
    Suggestion? Keep streaks on, and make them give you more trophies so you can get back to your previous league. .
    My suggestion would be to cap streaks at 10, and then reset.

Use the current increase. That would make climbing much easier while still limiting the streak issues they wanted to get rid of.

• jimwymr wrote: »
    Just my two cents, but I think this is the worst event to date! I hate this event and I'm going to quit playing until this event is over.

like 12 hours?
    Mock exams finished...Im back!
  • I dont think many people would call this a 'grand' event but hey, we still have the halloween event :smile:
  • jimwymr wrote: »
    Just my two cents, but I think this is the worst event to date! I hate this event and I'm going to quit playing until this event is over.

like 12 hours?

I'm sure my guild mates won't like it but, yeah the whole 12 hours. LOL!
  • @JackHallow666 Seeking to understand your commet about “top 5” get this, or “the guild that gets the most” gets that. You go on to mention bragging rights ... if I’m reading you correctly are you saying you don’t like the achievement title that was given out to the first place guild this past GG? And you don’t like it because it gives people bragging rights? And that apparently some people are running around waving that title around in the air and being “mean”?

If that is the case, I respect your opinion as I do everyone’s, although I disagree. I don’t see it as being any different as having at title for crafting 500 Superior runes or any other achievement for that matter.

The problem is that the Community complained that “isn’t wasn’t fair” for the team that won GG to have “better rewards” than others because it only makes the rich richer. Everyone deserves a trophy etc .... so they change it to “top 5” everyone gets fhe same stuff (except maybe some tokens that are trivial). So to do “something” for the winning guild they give a meaningless title, and that’s now improper now too? Goodness what’s left to nerf?

Like you I’m sick and tired of the cyber bullies, trolling, and general misery that so many in this Community try to push so often. I speak out against it constantly and would love to see everyone get along and have fun. That said on a list of 100 things that need to be cleaned up that are mean spirited, I can’t say that a title would be very high on my hit list.
  • It's basically psychology. They feed us this piss poor event so when they give us a mediocre event on halloween, it'll seem like an amazing event.
  • wisemagic7 wrote: »
    It's basically psychology. They feed us this piss poor event so when they give us a mediocre event on halloween, it'll seem like an amazing event.

If they add a skin for shade them im pleased, if its a skin for an old hero like jabber and it looks cool then we could accept that
  • Sorry - it was pretty much all bad. After the ticket fiasco our guild gave up. We were around 24th place at that time. It just had too many issues.
  • I wish that the debuffs/buffs changed daily. It would have made it more interesting. The no streaks made it good for people to try something different without very little loss. With or without streaks, the top 50 guilds would still be in the same position, except with more points. It would not change the grind.
  • I was sick and disgusted of the game by the end of the tournament. That endless grinding... ugh!

In my opinion, the way to fix this is to have the guild tournaments be a race with a finish line. Set a number and reward the guilds in the order they cross the finish line.
  • I was sick and disgusted of the game by the end of the tournament. That endless grinding... ugh!

In my opinion, the way to fix this is to have the guild tournaments be a race with a finish line. Set a number and reward the guilds in the order they cross the finish line.

This would heavily punish simply being European.

Apply now: Must be in the American hemisphere!
  • JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
    We appreciate the feedback and will work to improve Guild Grand Tournaments.
    Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
    www.bossfightentertainment.com
  • Rocksor wrote: »
    I wish that the debuffs/buffs changed daily. It would have made it more interesting. The no streaks made it good for people to try something different without very little loss. With or without streaks, the top 50 guilds would still be in the same position, except with more points. It would not change the grind.

I really like this idea. Maybe changing daily might be too often, but in a 4 day event change half way through. You would need to figure out the new PvP meta and then come up with a new strategy. Hopefully this would turn the event into less of a grind. I kept facing the same 2 or 3 teams over and over again almost the entire event. Once I or one of my guild mates had figured out how to beat them all there was to do was to grind away.

• heelerheeler Member
    I liked the BI and the GG (yes, all the GG, even that one everyone else hated). And I hated this event.

Raid a beast team. Then do it again. And again and again and again and again.... YUCK.

Boring, tedious, slow, grindgrindgrind.

Seriously, this is the only event I have ever disliked at all, and it was detestable unless you really love pvp.
  • heeler wrote: »
    I liked the BI and the GG (yes, all the GG, even that one everyone else hated). And I hated this event.

Raid a beast team. Then do it again. And again and again and again and again.... YUCK.

Boring, tedious, slow, grindgrindgrind.

Seriously, this is the only event I have ever disliked at all, and it was detestable unless you really love pvp.

I really love PvP, but being forced to use 2 tanks and some of the other "quests" were beyond tedious. Thankfully Beasts+Monsters are a great combo (Solaris Grog/Hopper Koros), but most of the rest was painful (winning with no warriors was absolutely ridiculous; even an all Rogue line-up struggled because of all the flipping beasts).

I posted it in another thread, but I dropped a ton of resources into getting my Solaris FA the final day; I had had enough. Won almost all my matches from that point on. Solaris is just way OP right now and Beast vs. Beast can take forever between Leo and Solaris.

Also, the rewards were total and utterly worthless. Ooo, a bunch of skins for heroes I never use. A crap rune. A handful of Solaris tokens. Top 10 rewards weren't that much better than the 200K ones! Just a ridiculous waste of time.
  • I like the skin, runes, and tokens, but for the amount of play time and grind, they should really consider adding more to the rewards (which we've asked plenty of times). Maybe some highly used mats like fire crystals, brim stone, or pyre embers...
  • FatCat69FatCat69 Member
    edited October 10
    I agree regarding mixing up the debuffs to keep the event fresh. Nerfing AOE wouldn’t have been as painful if it were only for 24 or 48 hours.

I think that there really need to be tiers higher than 200k. As it stands there is little incentive for anyone who isn’t likely to finish in the top 50 to continue raiding after they hit 200k, and to be honest that should have been fairy quick and easy to come by.

There also need to be significantly better rewards for positions 1, 2, and 3. Have you people never seen any other competition in recent history? First, second, and third place are always called out. And there should be differentiation for each of these positions. They should be recognized and rewarded.

Also, as mentioned, communication could have been handled much better after the ticket issue on Friday. Would have been so much better just to immediately send out 10k to everyone and say “oops! We screwed up, Boss!” Especially since you ended up issuing blanket compensation in the end.

WHAT I DID LIKE:

Loved all the raid tickets. PvP is great fun, so enjoyed raiding again and again, without feeling like I had to burn a ton of gems to do so.

Liked the debuffs, but again, please mix it up so it doesn’t feel stale after the levels of grinding that we are needing to maintain.

And I enjoyed the quests. Would have preferred them to be in steps of 3 each, but it seemed like that was causing problems on the first day. (I got error codes redeeming the multi-step quests, at least.)
  • I actually really liked the drenched debuff. It made pvp INTERESTING. Kira wasn't one-shotting everything, but koros was so that doesn't really matter rn.... I enjoyed pvp as it gave me the feeling as raiding beating a epic dungeon before runes, where you would have to plan everything out from worst case scenario to best case scenario. I honestly would have LOVED these changes to remain perm, besides the streak one. The streak one was plain annoying. During the event, i saw almost NO hoppers. Although the quests could have been more interesting and rewarding, I still enjoyed this event overall. One thing you should have done DB was warn us about the AoE beforehand, so we can rerune heroes. Better yet have free rerune. During this event, i felt challenged that if one thing went wrong, it would cost me the match so i had to think ahead. We need that PvP change to remain forever, because it will revolutionize the old meta with a new meta based on tactics. 7/10 for this event DB. Bravo.
  • JackHallow666JackHallow666 Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    I actually really liked the drenched debuff. It made pvp INTERESTING. Kira wasn't one-shotting everything, but koros was so that doesn't really matter rn.... I enjoyed pvp as it gave me the feeling as raiding beating a epic dungeon before runes, where you would have to plan everything out from worst case scenario to best case scenario. I honestly would have LOVED these changes to remain perm, besides the streak one. The streak one was plain annoying. During the event, i saw almost NO hoppers. Although the quests could have been more interesting and rewarding, I still enjoyed this event overall. One thing you should have done DB was warn us about the AoE beforehand, so we can rerune heroes. Better yet have free rerune. During this event, i felt challenged that if one thing went wrong, it would cost me the match so i had to think ahead. We need that PvP change to remain forever, because it will revolutionize the old meta with a new meta based on tactics. 7/10 for this event DB. Bravo.

Is your Enter key broken? Just curious.
    Level: 70
    Favorite hero: Hansuke
    Currently: Waiting for new PvE content and the PvP revamp.
  • - PvP-exclusive buffs/debuffs. This is a great idea. I don't think these should be guild event exclusives, though. I think every season should just have it's own set of rules. Would make PvP more fun as a whole.

This! PLEASE Yes!! Just an awesome thought!
    Would make PVP 100 times more fun and appealing! Scratch that, it would make PVP fun, because right now it isn't.
  • I actually really liked the drenched debuff. It made pvp INTERESTING. Kira wasn't one-shotting everything, but koros was so that doesn't really matter rn.... I enjoyed pvp as it gave me the feeling as raiding beating a epic dungeon before runes, where you would have to plan everything out from worst case scenario to best case scenario. I honestly would have LOVED these changes to remain perm, besides the streak one. The streak one was plain annoying. During the event, i saw almost NO hoppers. Although the quests could have been more interesting and rewarding, I still enjoyed this event overall. One thing you should have done DB was warn us about the AoE beforehand, so we can rerune heroes. Better yet have free rerune. During this event, i felt challenged that if one thing went wrong, it would cost me the match so i had to think ahead. We need that PvP change to remain forever, because it will revolutionize the old meta with a new meta based on tactics. 7/10 for this event DB. Bravo.

Is your Enter key broken? Just curious.

Lol my eyes are broken after reading his paragraph but it actually has some good points.
  • RocksorRocksor Member
    edited October 10
    No streaks wasn't so bad. Maybe they should permanently remove streaks for only the Legend 1 tier in future PVP seasons. This way the Boss 100 isn't about who can wake up every 2 hours to compete and maintain streaks, but who has the most trophy points as a result of the win:loss ratio.
  • AmmoAmmo Member
    This event was a lot of effort for very low payoff. That's my two cents.
    1611701?gid=
  • I loved this event, despite the two family challenge which I lacked the runes to complete.
  • Gee - You're all so harsh. It is pretty hard to pull off something new without some bugs. Give the devs a break!

There were some obvious areas to improve, but I'll focus only on the positives:

1) I liked how generous they were with the raid tickets. Unlimited buys of 5x raids and all the quests - I think that was around 300+ free raids. Pretty great! Glad I didn't need to spend a whole lot of gems and kept me more than busy.

2) It was challenging - The AoE reduction certainly made it quite difficult to continue using Koros, and made us think a little differently - but not too much. Beasts, the current meta, was still very relevant. The matchmaking was also not too bad this time around. A good balance of mostly hard opponents.

3) Quests - Now those 15 same Type? (whatever Warriors, Healers, Casters etc. were) was pretty darn difficult, I won't lie. But they were fun to think up of teams to clear the challenge.

4) Rewards - While not a very exciting shop to spend on (all of my event tickets were spent on the raid tickets), the rune is something unique and not craftable with those stats. I was sad when they stopped giving the triple DR rune out as a PvP reward, just when I was finally able to do well enough to hit top 100. Glad we could see this come back.

5) Shop - Those were some great PvP runes for sale @ 4500 gems a piece. Hope they give these out for sale again. Looking forward to saving up for them .
  • pjworld wrote: »
    Gee - You're all so harsh. It is pretty hard to pull off something new without some bugs. Give the devs a break!

Actually, the point of this thread (and, impressively, most of the posts others have added) was to offer the devs enough feedback, positive and/or negative, in a (hopefully) constructive manner so that future events can appeal to a broader base of players. Every one of these major events seems to come with a lot of "gritching and bumbling" about the event as a whole. Here, folks are breaking down the event and letting the devs know what to tweak, fix, or abandon outright.

"Harsh" is when many of us, myself included, say "This event sucks!" with no explanation as to why we feel that way. Or worse, "You're all jackwads! Stop ruining my fun!!". This thread isn't "harsh". It's blunt, opinionated, and critical, but in general, the posts seem aimed at informing the devs of our preferences and tastes more than whining and name calling, as so many "feedback" threads have become.

We are, by and large, PAYING customers. As such, we want to vent our displeasure at the recipient of our money if we are unhappy with the value we perceive. The recent explosion of what seem like highly experimental events tells me that the devs are painfully aware of this and that they are striving to retain older players while attracting new ones by improving our gaming experience. It seems obvious that they WANT to make a better game. IMHO, if WE want to play a better game, we need to make sure the devs know what detracts from our collective experience while they try to experiment and discover those things that enhance said experience. In the long run, it will mean a better game for us which in turn means more money for them!

That said, I've heard from many friends that I've convinced to start playing DB that they were at a loss during the tourney. Apparently, some of the class/family quests were nigh impossible for players below level 50. They felt left out and a couple wanted to rage-quit the game forever. It may behoove the devs to keep such mid-level players in mind during these events. A guy playing 2 weeks being unable to master an event feels driven to get to a level where he CAN participate. A player of 2-3 months feeling that same inability feels justifiably excluded!