The Guild PVP Grand Tournament Has Started!

124»

Comments

• I like in the event shop the raid tickets are allllllllllllllllllllll the way to the far right, sort of like in the supermarket when they put the bread and milk all the way down the back so you have to pass through the isles to get there...
    ---
    Wasi | The Potato Army
  • heelerheeler Member
    One of my problems with the event. My poor guild member!!

80vvwcpk7fsi.jpg
  • heeler wrote: »
    One of my problems with the event. My poor guild member!!

80vvwcpk7fsi.jpg

rip honor 2017-2017
    Mock exams finished...Im back!
  • @MattCauthron I think your favorite word is “literally”
  • PooombahPooombah Member
    edited October 9
    Barleyman wrote: »

The #1 boss player loves this event so much they've been playing constantly for 75 hours without a pause for sleep. Watch a replay at 2x speed and it takes about 90 seconds. They are quick, they don't rely on Solaris and win in one or two rounds. Even so, they would have to complete a raid cycle every 2 mins 45 seconds since the season began to have the attacks (win and loss) they currently have. Just saying.
    Don't forget the replay cuts out any pauses the player takes in between attacks
    And that most of those attacks wouldn't of started until 24 hours after the season started

• Edit: Some thoughts on the meta - Most fights last less than 3 rounds. On 2x speed this is marginally different from many of our past one turn kill metas (Which are mindless and miserable). I've also seen more diversity during the last 600 matches I've run then I've seen probably ever.

Bovus, Julius, Pignius, Solaris, Torchy, Bauble, Shade, Hopper, Shadowblade, Daeris, Grog, Kozar, Furnace, Ferno, Viperia, Krexx, Cobressa, MK, Valkin, Astrid, Dagrund, Ekko, Lupina, Stonefist, Kobal, Emily, Koros, Leo, Lily, Aria, Pontifex, Ember, Rocky, Jabber, and Kai were all heroes I saw numerous times throughout the weekend. That's literally THIRTY FIVE heroes. It's hard to ask for more diversity than that. I would challenge someone to name another meta where we had more pvp viable heroes.

@MattCauthron I have to disagree. Just because you saw those heroes doesn't mean they are viable. I saw people trying to make use of Brom with his shield multiple times too, but he still isn't viable. Out of your list, you can't honestly say you were threatened by teams involving reptiles, stone fist, dwarves, kai, etc. Those are all free wins for you even with perfect runes. The only teams that "mattered" were Solaris teams and occasionally a well runed shade team, which you probably faces in 500 of your 600 raids. Which is why all the complaints about how boring the meta is.
  • Thanks for adding stuff to aether shop! Can you please add all character skins to aether shop that would be amazing
  • Why did you guys take stamina packs outa shop?
  • wagdogg wrote: »
    Why did you guys take stamina packs outa shop?

Becasue you could get 100 stamina buy using like 1400 pwnage points which is nothing compared to aether
    Mock exams finished...Im back!
  • Out of your list, you can't honestly say you were threatened by teams involving reptiles, stone fist, dwarves, kai, etc.

Stonefist was my mvp this guild game. Seriously. I finished with 600 wins, 95% win rate, top 25.

• This event and bringing in Solaris are the reasons I'm quitting. I'm done having tried to enjoy it, even looked forward to it, but event after the nerf the new bird is too much to enjoy the seemingly random beatdowns from teams rated 6000 points under me. It's not a challenge to analysis at all, it just feels like luck now. I can get that playing slot machines...For the amount of time, effort and money that I've invested, it makes me sad to leave, but after being livid after having developed control of the game only to have that reversed by the resurrection of a whole team is ridiculous. Whoever thought that character up should be fired. Best of luck to those who stick around.
  • Profes50r wrote: »
    This event and bringing in Solaris are the reasons I'm quitting. I'm done having tried to enjoy it, even looked forward to it, but event after the nerf the new bird is too much to enjoy the seemingly random beatdowns from teams rated 6000 points under me. It's not a challenge to analysis at all, it just feels like luck now. I can get that playing slot machines...For the amount of time, effort and money that I've invested, it makes me sad to leave, but after being livid after having developed control of the game only to have that reversed by the resurrection of a whole team is ridiculous. Whoever thought that character up should be fired. Best of luck to those who stick around.

If you asked on the forums what teams specifically you are struggling with, I'm sure we'd be willing to help. I feel like there needs to be a Solaris tutorial class. Every Sol defense is beaten relatively easily. It's just a matter of understanding the mechanics and killing the opposing team in the correct order.

All these people complaining over Sol is sad to see. It's really the most fun meta I've ever played in. Once you learn how the fights work, they're a blast to play.

Still have to disagree. I understand the mechanics and how to beat all the Solaris teams, and still find it incredibly boring and repetitive. It feels like someone threw their hands up and said "screw it, we can't figure out how to make a non-fast hero that survives long enough to get a turn with so many crazy powerful shades, SBs, MKs, and hoppers out there. Let's just give immunity to several different damage types and auto-resurrection to address the rest. Just in case, lets also have an ability that heals the entire team back to full inbetween rezes."

To keep one-upping for each new hero, we're soon going to be at the point where we need heroes that simply can't be killed first turn (crap we have that) or heroes that just blanket reduce all damage done (crap we have that). Ok then the next one will give your team invuln shields To start each fight and auto lay-on-hands the lowest hp hero after each attack and make your team immune to all debuffs for a turn. Combat revamp that's been in the works for the better part of a year now can't come soon enough, so that they can start designing heroes to meet specific needs and not dominate in all areas.

Lily, hopper, and even Ferno were done pretty well. They had immediate impacts on the meta without overwhelming it. Shade and Solaris were not done well. They are so much more powerful than all other options in their slot that they feel mandatory for most players.
  • I find this to be miles better than previous metas where you loaded up an offense and flipped a 25% "does MK dodge" coin because if so bottom right buddy.

Matt, you played too much Hearthstone. The menu button is top left for this game.
  • FoozleFoozle Member
    edited October 10
    @Skip_Holmes

You make valid points. Of course this has all been discussed at length.

The issue is straight forward however: If Sol wasn't strong, we'd still be facing Shade Hopper Lily Astrid defenses. We'd already been facing them for THREE months. You think people are complaining now? Guess what another 2 months of that would have done. The other option is to nerf shade. Sure it's been discussed a lot in early summits, but DB has been really hesitant to make any nerfs. The forum almost exploded when they nerfed zen. Things aren't always so simple as typing out the ideal situation.

Edit: Also, I'll say this again as I 100% believe it's true. Solaris is the first hero this game has had that significantly raises the skill cap of pvp. Your decisions mid fight actually matter to a degree they never have before. I would gander many players are losing due to incorrect midfight decisions, and blame solaris instead of their own mistakes. If people wanted to upload videos for their losses, the forums would happily help with the correct attacks sequencing.

The fact that every Sol defense can be relatively easily beaten in under 3 rounds means he's not broken (in my opinion). There is actually very little (game deciding) RNG involved, as you get more mid fight decisions that influence the outcome. I find this to be miles better than previous metas where you loaded up an offense and flipped a 25% "does MK dodge" coin because if so bottom right buddy.

Final thoughts: Perhaps pvp has grown overly complex for a cell phone game. Complexity growth is typically natural over the lifespan of a game to keep players engaged. It could be that many people prefer easy zen Kozor/Ember Shade Hopper type pvp where you can perform the same abilities over and over and win in one round. I'm not saying that is better or worse. If that's truly what the majority of the player base wants, perhaps pvp should be steered back to that direction. It's hard to really assess though - unhappy people are always the ones that speak the loudest.

Agree with @MattCauthron . I kind of like the complexity of the fights and the fact that having Solaris on your own team can make up for some bad one shot rng as well. Also, Solaris extends the length of many PvP fights, and a human player has an advantage the longer a fight lasts because a human can make better decisions about targets, abilities, etc. Also, a longer fight allows the offense to reach some of the 2nd and 3rd abilities, where past metas didn't allow that.

An interesting philosophical note is that as they add more and more heroes, the offense should have more and more advantage. This is because you can only have four heroes on your defense team, and those four heroes have to be able to defend against any offense. So, as the offense gets more and more options, it should become easier to win on offense.
  • Foozle wrote: »

Agree with @MattCauthron . I kind of like the complexity of the fights and the fact that having Solaris on your own team can make up for some bad one shot rng as well. Also, Solaris extends the length of many PvP fights, and a human player has an advantage the longer a fight lasts because a human can make better decisions about targets, abilities, etc. Also, a longer fight allows the offense to reach some of the 2nd and 3rd abilities, where past metas didn't allow that.

An interesting philosophical note is that as they add more and more heroes, the offense should have more and more advantage. This is because you can only have four heroes on your defense team, and those four heroes have to be able to defend against any offense. So, as the offense gets more and more options, it should become easier to win on offense.

The defense is very much hampered by poor AI. If Shade can't hurt Solaris he shouldn't target Solaris unless there's no other option. Ditto Torchy hitting Solaris, Shade hitting Ekko, etc.

Solaris defenses are hampered by Solaris committing suicide with no protecting feather when there's still a live Hopper on the other side, or the possibility of a live Hopper.

Yes, the human attacker will always have the advantage, but better AI might reduce the margin.

At first I thought that Solaris was intended to make Hopper and Shade less useful in PvP, but actually they've become more important than ever. If you don't have one of these on your team then it becomes pure luck or at least extremely difficult to remove enemies permanently. Leo can do it if he gets the kill, but he also needs to be pretty tough to survive multiple attacked from fast dark heroes, so it's unlikely he will get the kill. Frightening the enemies until they run can work, but if you kill them by accident then you have to start again.

• bvs72bvs72 Member
    I agree with everyone that agrees with @MattCauthron.
  • There is a reason you use Shade's first ability on Solaris because you want to do zero damage so that when Daeris goes off she permanently removes as much HP as possible.
  • JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
    Did a bit of cleanup on here to keep things on topic. This thread is for event feedback.
    Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
    www.bossfightentertainment.com
  • My biggest suggestion is to shorten the event. Lots of pvp was fun for the first day. After that it quickly became more of a grind and players losing interest in trying to keep pace.

Fourty-eight (48) hours would have been perfect.

124»